Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

VictualSquid
Feb 29, 2012

Gently enveloping the target with indiscriminate love.

Lone Goat posted:

I'm gonna define Shade by cards with the word Shade on the type line
As the other guy said we just had skyclave shade being a robust sideboard card. Not only in historic but also in standard for dimir rogues and control.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DangerDongs
Nov 7, 2010

Grimey Drawer

Aranan posted:

I also just hung some Magic art on my wall. Mystical Archive version of Tendrils of Agony:

I never noticed how sweet that art is. The yellow on the Mystical Archive cards normally distracts me too much.

GonSmithe
Apr 25, 2010

Perhaps it's in the nature of television. Just waves in space.
One of my favorite cards ever is Gifts Ungiven, because of my personal connection to it from when I started playing. I started playing in Champions of Kamigawa, I got a box for Christmas and my friends did too and we pooled our cards together. Right away, I wanted to know all about the rules of the game and know them 100%. I used to post on the Wizards forums exclusively in the Rules forum so I could learn them better. Because I learned the rules the way I did, I figured out a cool interaction. If you search for only two cards with Gifts Ungiven, your opponent must choose those two cards and those two cards are put into your graveyard. I could put my cool dragons right into the graveyard and reanimate them! I used to do this on Magic Workstation, and had to make a macro that put the rule into the chat, and people would say I was cheating and would disconnect. Cut to a little bit later, and Frank Karsten uses this as his Worlds 2015 standard deck. I got reminded of it by this great video, which goes into it. This deck was super cool, I recommend checking it out. This Standard and the next one had such cool, varied decks. Such a refresher after having to play with Affinity and Mirrodin.

I remember watching these matches, on the best quality way of watching it; using the pop-out RealMedia Player, which could play at higher resolution than the pop-out Windows Media Player. Then you had to have a second popout window where they would load key cards so you could read them, because you couldn't put them on the stream.

https://mtgtop8.com/event?e=9254&d=253154&f=ST
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4qhX_fohdgY&t=174s

GonSmithe fucked around with this message at 18:24 on Jan 1, 2022

flatluigi
Apr 23, 2008

here come the planes
rhystic studies is an absolutely fantastic channel

Goa Tse-tung
Feb 11, 2008

;3

Yams Fan

Aranan posted:

I also just hung some Magic art on my wall. Mystical Archive version of Tendrils of Agony:

that's rad

Gynovore
Jun 17, 2009

Forget your RoboCoX or your StickyCoX or your EvilCoX, MY CoX has Blinking Bewbs!

WHY IS THIS GAME DEAD?!
So when 4th edition came out, I was the first guy in my local meta to realize how broken Land Tax was. The deck I made to break it? Why, simple! I would draw tons of lands (using Zuran Orb if needed), discard a fattie at end of turn, then use Animate Dead/Dance of the Dead to bring it back for beatdown. Which fattie, you ask?

Yep, I think I was the only person in the history of Magic to ever use that guy.

And here's the fun part... the meta was so horribly slow and janky back then, this deck actually won. A lot.

Gynovore fucked around with this message at 21:24 on Jan 1, 2022

ALLAN LASSUS
May 11, 2007

apul.prof./ass.prof.
Speaking of Frozen Shade, just the other day I found a bunch that for some reason weren't with the rest of my old af cards

Shades rule tho

Balon
May 23, 2010

...my greatest work yet.

flatluigi posted:

rhystic studies is an absolutely fantastic channel

And Sam is a wonderful person!

rickiep00h
Aug 16, 2010

BATDANCE

Gifts is probably my favorite Feels Like A Smarty-pants plays. Just constantly giggling internally while searching, while waiting for your opponent to decide. That and Fact or Fiction are what made blue control fun for a long time for me.

Dysgenesis
Jul 12, 2012

HAVE AT THEE!

Aranan posted:

I also just hung some Magic art on my wall.

That's rad. The English mystical archive cards had great art but seem to get overshadowed a bit by the Jaoanese variants.

ALLAN LASSUS posted:

Speaking of Frozen Shade, just the other day I found a bunch that for some reason weren't with the rest of my old af cards

Shades rule tho

Unlimited at the front? Also rad.

Strong Sauce
Jul 2, 2003

You know I am not really your father.

is there any kind of card to negate soul-lantern (and i guess also lantern of the lost) once its on the field? since it doesn't target you or any of your cards, none of the "can't target cards in your graveyard" cards or leyline works.

neaden
Nov 4, 2012

A changer of ways
Stifle or stifle effects are the only thing that will stop it.

HootTheOwl
May 13, 2012

Hootin and shootin

Strong Sauce posted:

is there any kind of card to negate soul-lantern (and i guess also lantern of the lost) once its on the field? since it doesn't target you or any of your cards, none of the "can't target cards in your graveyard" cards or leyline works.

Counter it. Or use a Stony Silence effect.

ilmucche
Mar 16, 2016

What did you say the strategy was?
needle it before it comes down if you know it's coming?

BioThermo
Feb 18, 2014

Strong Sauce posted:

In standard: overcharged amalgam. In historic: Disallow, Nimble Obstructionist, Repudiate, Stifle, Sublime Epiphany, or Tale's End.

Countering activated abilities seems to be exclusively an at-rare blue ability.

Fantastic Foreskin
Jan 6, 2013

A golden helix streaked skyward from the Helvault. A thunderous explosion shattered the silver monolith and Avacyn emerged, free from her prison at last.

ALLAN LASSUS posted:

Shades rule tho

Bruma Shade

Strong Sauce
Jul 2, 2003

HootTheOwl posted:

Counter it. Or use a Stony Silence effect.

neaden posted:

Stifle or stifle effects are the only thing that will stop it.

ilmucche posted:

needle it before it comes down if you know it's coming?

oh yeah forgot about stony silence... stifle and needle would also work although people playing could also use lantern of the lost to avoid needle.. guess that's still not popular enough to matter.

BioThermo posted:

In standard: overcharged amalgam. In historic: Disallow, Nimble Obstructionist, Repudiate, Stifle, Sublime Epiphany, or Tale's End.

Countering activated abilities seems to be exclusively an at-rare blue ability.

was looking for modern... but yeah those cards are also interesting. i also found Rimewind Cryomancer and Voidmage Husher, Squelch, Trickbind using mtgassist.

i've been looking at belcher and oops all spells decks. seems anyone playing soul-lantern to graveyard hate on dredge or living end can also mess up these decks. doesn't seem like you can do much unless you do play blue or draw

HootTheOwl
May 13, 2012

Hootin and shootin

Strong Sauce posted:

oh yeah forgot about stony silence... stifle and needle would also work although people playing could also use lantern of the lost to avoid needle.. guess that's still not popular enough to matter.

was looking for modern... but yeah those cards are also interesting. i also found Rimewind Cryomancer and Voidmage Husher, Squelch, Trickbind using mtgassist.

i've been looking at belcher and oops all spells decks. seems anyone playing soul-lantern to graveyard hate on dredge or living end can also mess up these decks. doesn't seem like you can do much unless you do play blue or draw

What colors, because in modern you can always just destroy it and then go off.

AlternateNu
May 5, 2005

ドーナツダメ!
The best way to counter Lantern is to play around it once you know about it.

I don't mean this as a jackass answer, either. A lot of decks that Lantern seriously disrupts do better by just hedging your graveyard dumps instead of putting bad, narrow cards in the deck to try and stop a Lantern that hasn't hit yet.

BizarroAzrael
Apr 6, 2006

"That must weigh heavily on your soul. Let me purge it for you."

Aranan posted:

Sick, I have a bunch of walls I need to cover here, did you order that from somewhere or just find a HQ source of the art and get it printed professionally?

Aniodia
Feb 23, 2016

Literally who?

Gynovore posted:

So when 4th edition came out, I was the first guy in my local meta to realize how broken Land Tax was. The deck I made to break it? Why, simple! I would draw tons of lands (using Zuran Orb if needed), discard a fattie at end of turn, then use Animate Dead/Dance of the Dead to bring it back for beatdown. Which fattie, you ask?

Yep, I think I was the only person in the history of Magic to ever use that guy.

And here's the fun part... the meta was so horribly slow and janky back then, this deck actually won. A lot.

Actually, back around '02-'03ish, I'd had a deck that was UG that I'd thrown together using the Spawn and another forgotten fattie, Gurzigost. Looking at that card, I'm sure you can see the synergy there, stacking the triggers so the Spawn would mill two, then the Gurzigost would slap those right back on the bottom of my deck. The other ability Gurzigost had helped break through board states as well, as that ability was just starting to become a thing post-Rhox. I'd also used Seeker of Skybreak in order to untap the Deep Spawn in order to keep swinging turn after turn even after using the shroud ability, and just basically ramped into having a couple copies of each in play. It was so dumb, but it definitely won its fair share of games, even against one of my buddies and his tournament-level decks, so :shrug:

Ultima66
Sep 2, 2008

Captain Invictus posted:

Here is something that some may find amusing, a yugioh player tries to tell if magic cards are good without knowing almost anything about magic.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=c2_kNhulCnQ&hd=1

This really needed someone to walk him through the cards because it's not clear whether the card submissions were supposed to be good or bad and the chat reaction isn't helpful at all. There's plenty of awful cards that people think are "good" in EDH (Doubling Season, Panharmonicon, etc) and then there's a lot of the cards submitted that are good in very specific contexts but do see play in modern or legacy. Platinum Angel is an obvious example of card that looks good but is "bad," but it's definitely not unheard of as a random sideboard card in legacy/vintage. Is a card that shows up in a top 8 list in a Legacy/Vintage challenge on MTGO within the last year good? Because Platinum Angel has shown up in MUD sideboards within the last year in Vintage. Liquimetal Coating is another obvious example. It was a great example of a card that newbies would look at and think it's a strong synergistic card for certain things but it was completely unplayable in constructed until Karn was printed. Now it's an auto include in any Karn deck. Is that good or bad?

Ultima66 fucked around with this message at 08:08 on Jan 2, 2022

Fantastic Foreskin
Jan 6, 2013

A golden helix streaked skyward from the Helvault. A thunderous explosion shattered the silver monolith and Avacyn emerged, free from her prison at last.

The ask was for cards that were good or bad, and he was trying to guess which was which.

Ultima66
Sep 2, 2008

Fantastic Foreskin posted:

The ask was for cards that were good or bad, and he was trying to guess which was which.

Yes, but what I'm talking about is it's not clear what the cards submitted actually are. I could make an argument most of the submitted cards are good or bad, depending on how you're judging. In the most extreme case, I'd argue that Colossal Dreadmaw is actually a pretty good limited card, so I'd say even Dreadmaw could be considered good.

Going through the entire list of cards submitted in the full 2 hour vod:

1. One With Nothing - Arguably could go either way, leaning bad
Good: Literally did top 8 tournaments while it was legal in standard.
Bad: It's One With Nothing.

2. Carrion Feeder - Obviously good

3. Mystic Remora - Obviously good

4. Timothar - Arguably could go either way, leaning bad
Good: Maybe the submitter is some EDH player who thinks this is broken or something idk I've literally never heard of this poo poo
Bad: The card is unplayable garbage

5. Platinum Angel - Could go either way, leaning bad?
Good: Sees sideboard play in legacy/vintage to this day
Bad: It's a common example of a newbie trap card

6. Skullclamp - Obviously good

7. Grindstone - Could go either way, leaning good
Good: Centerpiece of the Painter's Servant Legacy/Vintage deck
Bad: Another commonly considered newbie trap as milling is something new players overvalue heavily, was not good until Painter's Servant was printed

8. Trait Doctoring - Obviously bad

9. Time Vault - Obviously good

10. Gonti - Could go either way, leaning good
Good: Saw some play in standard, I think some pioneer play in the early days?
Bad: Outside of the fringe play during its time in standard, I don't think it's broken into any older formats and is obviously way too slow and expensive to be useful outside of midrangey standard contexts

11. Chains of Mephistopheles - Could go either way, leaning good
Good: It's a sideboard card in legacy sometimes
Bad: It's not REALLY an actual common sideboard card in legacy, and obviously was mostly submitted because it's confusing to understand more than it actually being impactful in the format

12. T3feri - Obviously good

13. Liquimetal Coating - Could go either way, leaning good
Good: It's played in Karn decks today
Bad: It was a loving awful card until Karn was printed relatively recently

14. Tiamat - Could go either way, leaning bad
Good: I don't know it's a loving EDH card some idiot probably thinks it's busted because that dumb promo is worth $1000

15. Colossal Dreadmaw - Could go either way, leaning bad
Good: It's actually pretty good in limited which is the only context you'd ever see this card in a non-memey way. Like this sounds like a joke but in my head Falcon Abomination is a "good" card because it's a very solid common in Midnight Hunt limited
Bad: It's a meme draft common that has never been considered for constructed ever

16. Ashaya - Could go either way, honestly have no clue what the submitter thinks
Good: It's probably some dumb EDH bullshit

17. Lion's Eye Diamond - Obviously good, I'll spare the theatrics of it being considered one of the worst cards in like 1997

18. Lightning Bolt - Obviously good

19. Mox Opal - Obviously good

20. Bountiful Harvest - Obviously bad

21. Great Wall - Obviously bad

22. Pact of Negation - Obviously good

23. Siege Rhino - Could go either way, leaning good
Good: Hugely dominant in standard during its time in standard
Bad: Has never been playable in more extended formats, was tried a bit in modern but it's certainly never been "good" in that context

24. Emrakul - Obviously good

25. Felidar Sovereign - Could go either way, leaning bad
Good: The chat was talking about how it's broken in EDH due to starting at 40 life

26. Oko - Obviously good

27. Guided Passage - Could go either way, leaning bad
Good: It's before my time so I honestly don't know if it was played at all in standard during its time there. If it was then by some people's criteria that crosses the line into "good"
Bad: It's not played at all in any constructed formats now

So of the 27 cards he looked at, 13 of the cards could have been considered good or bad depending on what the submitter was actually thinking. Without a person giving context, it's very hard to gauge what the submitter really meant, and you could honestly even make an argument for Time Vault being bad at certain points of its errata or LED being considered bad in the early days of Magic. I also have no real idea if Mystic Remora was played until Vintage was established as a format, and even today I'm not really aware of it being in Legacy sideboards at all and purely know it as a Vintage card.

Ultima66 fucked around with this message at 09:02 on Jan 2, 2022

Eej
Jun 17, 2007

HEAVYARMS
Wait why is your yardstick for "good or bad" simply "is it Modern playable"

Ultima66
Sep 2, 2008

Eej posted:

Wait why is your yardstick for "good or bad" simply "is it Modern playable"

It's very obviously not. I'm saying that there's so many ways someone could judge whether a card is good or bad that you can't just say it's one or the other without context and without knowing what someone thinks when they ask that it's often extremely hard to tell what they think the answer is. There's so many different criteria for what could make a card good. Is memorably strong common or uncommon in its color in its home draft format, therefore seriously worth considering in limited professional level events? Is it a commonly cube-worthy card for cube draft? Was it seen in top 8s in Standard/Block Constructed for the year or two that it was in Standard? Has it ever been seen in top 8s in any extended constructed format? Has it seen top 8 play in a constructed format this year? Has it top 8ed DuelCommander events using the DuelCommander ban list and rules at any point? Does it have to be a commonly played top 8 card and what size of event actually counts for this criteria if you're looking at objective tournament play? Does a bad card suddenly become good if an engine is created from a recent printing that uses said bad card? Is it a card people have a strong impression of from casual Sheldon rules EDH play?

Ignoring the casual EDH point, there are only 8 cards of the 27 that would be universally considered "bad" on objective tournament criteria, and 4 of them could be ones people consider strong in casual EDH but I wouldn't be able to judge. Like to me casual EDH wouldn't be part of the equation but I think when people think about EDH they think that Panoptic Mirror is a "good" card despite it failing every one of the other criteria I listed.

mandatory lesbian
Dec 18, 2012
I think youre taking this fun video idea a lot too seriously

Jabor
Jul 16, 2010

#1 Loser at SpaceChem
I think it's possible to say that a card is bad, but due to a quirk of the metagame actually did (or currently does) see top-level play despite that. (One with Nothing, Platinum Angel).

Or that a card is generally bad except there's a busted combo with some other card - pretty sure a YuGiOh player would understand that concept pretty well. (Grindstone, Coating)

Conversely, a card could be good in the abstract despite not actually making it in its time due to how the meta around it shook out.

Strong Sauce
Jul 2, 2003

the fun of it isn't for him to know the exact specifics of MTG but just guess based on his yugioh knowledge.

HootTheOwl posted:

What colors, because in modern you can always just destroy it and then go off.
this is the gist of the deck: https://mtgtop8.com/event?e=30557&d=438390&f=MO

it plays multiple colors but the deck really only needs black mana to trigger the balustrade spy or undercity informer.

AlternateNu posted:

The best way to counter Lantern is to play around it once you know about it.

I don't mean this as a jackass answer, either. A lot of decks that Lantern seriously disrupts do better by just hedging your graveyard dumps instead of putting bad, narrow cards in the deck to try and stop a Lantern that hasn't hit yet.

yeah there is a workaround in this deck if your graveyard gets messed with. it's casting thassa's oracle while undercity informer is in play, then activating undercity informer's ability first, saccing itself, then you mill your entire deck down, then you trigger thassa's oracle ability. you have at least 2 devotion to blue, and you have no cards in your library, so you win.

actually looking back on this deck, can a soul-guide lantern even do anything once you started drawing from your deck and putting cards into the graveyard with either undercity informer or balustrade spy? if the cards you're putting into the graveyard triggers abilities to enter the battlefield... that's already too late for the lantern to do anything, right? i guess they could exile what you currently have in the gy as a response(?) but once i start drawing and putting cards into the GY, can they activate soul-guide lantern?

ilmucche
Mar 16, 2016

What did you say the strategy was?
All the cards go into the graveyard and their triggers on the stack, then you can respond. For example if narcomaebas hit the yard you can still exile in response to the triggers.

Aranan
May 21, 2007

Release the Kraken

BizarroAzrael posted:

Sick, I have a bunch of walls I need to cover here, did you order that from somewhere or just find a HQ source of the art and get it printed professionally?

Some artists have their stuff up on inprnt: https://www.inprnt.com/gallery/rovinacai/tendrils-of-agony/

You can get others from OMA: https://www.originalmagicart.store/collections/prints

Beyond that, I think it's just hitting up each artist individually and hoping they have some kind of store. That's how I got some prints from Mark Tedin earlier.

HootTheOwl
May 13, 2012

Hootin and shootin

Strong Sauce posted:

the fun of it isn't for him to know the exact specifics of MTG but just guess based on his yugioh knowledge.

this is the gist of the deck: https://mtgtop8.com/event?e=30557&d=438390&f=MO

it plays multiple colors but the deck really only needs black mana to trigger the balustrade spy or undercity informer.

yeah there is a workaround in this deck if your graveyard gets messed with. it's casting thassa's oracle while undercity informer is in play, then activating undercity informer's ability first, saccing itself, then you mill your entire deck down, then you trigger thassa's oracle ability. you have at least 2 devotion to blue, and you have no cards in your library, so you win.

actually looking back on this deck, can a soul-guide lantern even do anything once you started drawing from your deck and putting cards into the graveyard with either undercity informer or balustrade spy? if the cards you're putting into the graveyard triggers abilities to enter the battlefield... that's already too late for the lantern to do anything, right? i guess they could exile what you currently have in the gy as a response(?) but once i start drawing and putting cards into the GY, can they activate soul-guide lantern?

As Aranan said: Yes because all your GY triggers use the stack. Narcomeoba on the stack, nuke your GY. Response to you exiling three artifacts, nuke your GY, ect ect.
The obvious answer here is an instant speed disenchant. Pop it at your opponent's EOT and then on your turn untap and cast spy/informer and win.
Also you're a gimmick combo deck: Chalice on 1 answers everything but RIP and Sanctifier. So if your GY-hate-hate SB suit is 4 chalice (which does double duty against cascade->0 spells) and 4 Force of Vigor, you cover everything except Sanctifier. Include Veil of Summer for the real control decks and that's how I'd build it.

HootTheOwl fucked around with this message at 17:28 on Jan 2, 2022

The Nastier Nate
May 22, 2005

All aboard the corona bus!

HONK! HONK!

Yams Fan

Ultima66 posted:

13. Liquimetal Coating - Could go either way, leaning good
Good: It's played in Karn decks today
Bad: It was a loving awful card until Karn was printed relatively recently

When it was legal in standard I made a Jank R/B liquimetal coating deck using all the destroy artifact ETB creatures, blue to control and dig for it and bounce for more effects. It was bad but it made so many people in mtgo rage when I would blow up someone’s titan or JTMS with a 2/2 destroy target permit when ETB creatures.

There was also that dragon that blew up artifacts in Scars of Mirrodin which made for a fun finisher

mandatory lesbian
Dec 18, 2012
Tbh the pokemon card video is even better bc pokemon has a "draw three" on a once per turn effect but otherwise no resources are spent and in both mtg and yugioh it would be insanely busted but in pokemon its actually just trash

Fajita Queen
Jun 21, 2012

mandatory lesbian posted:

Tbh the pokemon card video is even better bc pokemon has a "draw three" on a once per turn effect but otherwise no resources are spent and in both mtg and yugioh it would be insanely busted but in pokemon its actually just trash

wait what when did this happen? Even Bill from the original set was way too good.

Fantastic Foreskin
Jan 6, 2013

The Shortest Path posted:

wait what when did this happen? Even Bill from the original set was way too good.

The card is recent, but the thing that makes it bad (as best I can tell, I haven't played ptcg since like, '01) is that you can only play one Supporter (card type) per turn, and things like the new Professor Oaks are Supporters too, so you always rather be playing one that draws more than 3 cards.

Strong Sauce
Jul 2, 2003

mandatory lesbian posted:

draw three? wow that's even better than pot of greed. pot of greed allows the player to draw two new cards from the player's deck

ilmucche posted:

All the cards go into the graveyard and their triggers on the stack, then you can respond. For example if narcomaebas hit the yard you can still exile in response to the triggers.

HootTheOwl posted:

As Aranan said: Yes because all your GY triggers use the stack. Narcomeoba on the stack, nuke your GY. Response to you exiling three artifacts, nuke your GY, ect ect.
The obvious answer here is an instant speed disenchant. Pop it at your opponent's EOT and then on your turn untap and cast spy/informer and win.
Also you're a gimmick combo deck: Chalice on 1 answers everything but RIP and Sanctifier. So if your GY-hate-hate SB suit is 4 chalice (which does double duty against cascade->0 spells) and 4 Force of Vigor, you cover everything except Sanctifier. Include Veil of Summer for the real control decks and that's how I'd build it.

thanks. i'm going to have to read up on effects/stacks again. should know basic stuff like this.

i'll look into chalices but probably going to keep similar to the decklist. they're also kinda expensive. haha. i'll probably just keep the nature's claims that are in the sideboard and maybe look into another artifact destruction that has a different casting cost..

mandatory lesbian
Dec 18, 2012

Fantastic Foreskin posted:

The card is recent, but the thing that makes it bad (as best I can tell, I haven't played ptcg since like, '01) is that you can only play one Supporter (card type) per turn, and things like the new Professor Oaks are Supporters too, so you always rather be playing one that draws more than 3 cards.

Yeah, draw three is too slow for pokemon

Which is crazy but thats how it is

TheKingofSprings
Oct 9, 2012

The Shortest Path posted:

You can play Pokemon to the bench to draw until you have 7 in hand without once per turn restrictions like the draw 3s all have.

Pokemon card draw is crazy

E:

Like look at this poo poo

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fajita Queen
Jun 21, 2012

Holy poo poo they really jacked up the power level of that game since I last played. It's like the opposite trajectory of where Magic went.

Like even in magic if they made a instant/Sorcery subtype that restricted you to one of them total per round, printing walk/twister/recall/wheel/etc. with that restriction would still make them way too powerful for any format but vintage.

Fajita Queen fucked around with this message at 20:29 on Jan 2, 2022