Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Mirificus
Oct 29, 2004

Kings need not raise their voices to be heard

quote:

Oh believe me I know it hurts. I was there.

Here's the thing.. what they had originally planned was peanuts compared to what is coming - they realised what was happening quite some time after the community did, and they did ask the community if we wanted to keep pushing the boundaries. 80%+ said to keep pushing. What 'changed' was when CryTek couldn't pay their staff and virtually their whole R&D team went to work for Brian Chambers in what became F42DE. (I met him and he told us what happened). Chris could never have anticipated that happening in 2014 or earlier. Watch the old 'Next Great Starship' episodes you will see that Sean Tracy was originally CryTeks' 'Roving ambassador'.

Chris had a dilemma - what to do with the massive community response and their sheer force of will to make the BDSSE (we were the one's breaking Guinness Book of World Record's), or stick to his original plan. He went with his community and his 'team'. I don't know about you, but that makes me proud! Every time you insult CIG or Chris Roberts you're actually insulting the achievements of this community.

The first Star Wars movie was in 1975 - I know I was there! A wide-eyed 14 year old! Nothing great comes easy.

No limits! That's why in 2012 you couldn't get a drat thing made unless it had swords, magic and dragons! This community had other ideas. Chris? He's just the guy who steers the boat - this community is the engine that future gamers will appreciate, it was strong enough to push against the tide. You may be interested in 'yet another game release', the majority wanted something ground breaking... and we made it possible. We have a franchise that will last decades. Something to rival Star Wars or Star Trek.

We did that!

quote:

Oh.. I expect the marketing - as Sandie said when they acknowledged the Calder's investment (marketing and licensing is what they do) - 'I always wondered where the marketing budget was coming from' because Chris always affirmed that every penny of community funding would go toward the games development. Just as I expect the quiet pause and deep breath before the plunge. This is the quiet time.. won't be long now.

Ducks in a row... that's how the grown-ups do it.

Say you had $40+ million (over 2 buy in options) from a successful family business grown over decades wouldn't you look very carefully at where you were going to put it? No? We should listen to your 10c analysis? Yeah.. OK. Sure.

75% of all Lucas Film revenue came not from movie ticket sales but from franchises, licensing and marketing - that's where the Calders and other investors will make their money back. Ask Mark Hamill about being depicted on a bag of cauliflower florets. Chris and the team, they are game developers doing what they said they would do... Use every penny of our pledges to build a universe we could live in that would carry on into the future.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mellow_
Sep 13, 2010

:frog:

lol their outlaw armour skin is just boring Boba Fett

Plan R
Oct 5, 2021

For Romeo
Ya know what hurts? Finally purchasing my Romulan Warbird in STO and then, a few weeks later, the whole thing tanks. Suddenly it's type this vs type that. No nuance, the best part of the game died. My friend I was playing with bails and I'm left to (NOT) pick up the pieces.

I tearfully put it to rest and never looked back. It was like quitting smoking.

I feel bad for my poor duty officers; it's been years now.

Torquemada
Oct 21, 2010

Drei Gläser

quote:

80%+ said to keep pushing

Still with this misleading horseshit. 80% of the people who took part in the poll said keep pushing: at the time the poll occurred, this mathed out to approximately 17% of the backer population. It’s this kind of math that allowed the British government to claim a clear mandate for Brexit.

JugbandDude
Jul 19, 2016

Remember when you were young, you shone like the sun

Shine on you crazy diamond!
Imagine writing so many words to convince yourself that your money was not wasted, and the pipelines will kick in anytime now.

Ducks in a row! That’s how grown-ups do it :smuggo:

TheDeadlyShoe
Feb 14, 2014

Daztek posted:

Remember the janky Star Citizen killer Spacebourne?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WIHQbOk6P-M

lmao at the literal Dawn of War drop pod at 1:53

and also at Planet Green

Thronde
Aug 4, 2012

Fun Shoe
Also imagine being such a Star Wars fan you forget it came out in 1977. What a loving moron.

BumbleOne
Jul 1, 2018

by Fluffdaddy

The Titanic posted:

Dear backers,

Thanks for all your money you loving simps.

Oh and buy this new ship. It's shaped like my giant cock when I am hyped on vitamins after going for a straight 3 hour run and then coming home ready to gently caress!

Love,
Chris

this is the most romantic thing i read in 2022 so far

One in the Bum
Apr 25, 2014

Hair Elf

Torquemada posted:

Still with this misleading horseshit. 80% of the people who took part in the poll said keep pushing: at the time the poll occurred, this mathed out to approximately 17% of the backer population. It’s this kind of math that allowed the British government to claim a clear mandate for Brexit.

On top of that, the "poll" stipulated that the expanded scope could be completed within the original timeframe. So why wouldn't you vote for the expanded scope?

Thoatse
Feb 29, 2016

Lol said the scorpion, lmao
https://i.imgur.com/bJsI6sr.mp4

trucutru
Jul 9, 2003

by Fluffdaddy

marumaru posted:

CIG's 2021 top moments email

lol

There is taking the piss and there is naked contempt and this one is more of the later.

Thoatse
Feb 29, 2016

JugbandDude posted:

Imagine writing so many words to convince yourself that your money was not wasted, and the pipelines will kick in anytime now.

And being so confidently incorrect.. like Star Wars came out in 1977 for instance

e:fb.. suck my oval office

Thoatse fucked around with this message at 21:53 on Jan 1, 2022

Kosumo
Apr 9, 2016

JugbandDude posted:

Star Citizen: The development is totally ducked

trucutru
Jul 9, 2003

by Fluffdaddy

quote:

The first Star Wars movie was in 1975 - I know I was there! A wide-eyed 14 year old! Nothing great comes easy.

Huh? :what: I guess this explains everything. He somehow slid here from some parallel universe.

Pooned
Dec 28, 2005

Eye contact counters everything
Last time i played Star Citizen the installer was like 50gb, it was choppy as gently caress and there wasn't anything to do in the game yet except fly around doing god awful dog-fights with 1 ship type.

That was like 2015 I think. How much has changed since then??

Plan R
Oct 5, 2021

For Romeo
I want that black hoodie with the black logo you can barely see. I'll pay like three hundred dollars in bitcoin.

Kosumo
Apr 9, 2016

That cattle is NOT a fan of the uncharted series!

Kosumo
Apr 9, 2016

Plan R posted:

I want that black hoodie with the black logo you can barely see. I'll pay like three hundred dollars in bitcoin.

Ok, but it still just a concept, will take 3 to 4 years to get it to wearable level, shipping will take another year or two but if you buy now it comes with LTI*

*Up to three wash cycles.

Plan R
Oct 5, 2021

For Romeo
I went looking to see how long it might take to 'earn' three hundred clams in bitcoin and I do not suggest you do it.

I have seen things. Things I cannot unsee.

What have we become!?

Sanya Juutilainen
Jun 19, 2019

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Remember seeing the pics of the damage this caused, needed lots of stitches.

Dr. Honked
Jan 9, 2011

eat it you slaaaaaaag

Pooned posted:

Last time i played Star Citizen the installer was like 50gb, it was choppy as gently caress and there wasn't anything to do in the game yet except fly around doing god awful dog-fights with 1 ship type.

Kavros has touched the poop extensively, you can read their posts itt about their experience: https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3898069&userid=176044

Time_pants
Jun 25, 2012

Now sauntering to the ring, please welcome the lackadaisical style of the man who is always doing something...

Sanya Juutilainen posted:

Remember seeing the pics of the damage this caused, needed lots of stitches.

That poor dog!

Shimrra Jamaane
Aug 10, 2007

Obscure to all except those well-versed in Yuuzhan Vong lore.
Lmao oh Resetera

Star Citizen: Believe it or not, its a real (amazing) game

quote:

I've been thinking about making this thread for a little while, but my experiences in Star Citizen over the last couple of weeks have pushed me over the edge, so here I am.

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Disclaimer: I paid 30USD in the first 24 hours of the campaign all those years ago, so I am a long time supporter of the game HOWEVER, I have played very little of what they have put out until 3.15.1 came out a couple of months ago, as what was there was very barebones and barely held together. I was quite happy to just sit and wait 20 years for this game to eventually become a thing.
----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Also disclaimer: Some of their practices could definitely be improved. I dont like that there are some ships you can buy with real money that you can't buy ingame (yet). I feel like if its flyable ingame then it should be purchasable ingame. In terms of their bananas ship prices, it really doesn't matter to me. If people are willing to pay it, why not? And also you can purchase them all (eventually) ingame. Almost all are available right now ingame, so buying with cash is really just a way of supporting the devs.
That having been said, yes its totally valid to feel like they shouldn't be doing any of that at this point in development.
Also Also disclaimer: YES. It is in Alpha. YES. It does have some annoying bugs. However, I find the fun I've had more than outweighs the annoyances from bugs

Fantastic Foreskin
Jan 6, 2013

A golden helix streaked skyward from the Helvault. A thunderous explosion shattered the silver monolith and Avacyn emerged, free from her prison at last.

Missing the several thousand they put in after that 30 a mite.

Pixelate
Jan 6, 2018

"You win by having fun"

quote:

Bought a ship yesterday, and even before starting playing, the community gifted me a pink cat armor. I have no complaints.

Will report more once I actually played it tomorrow :)

A good video to get a better view of what this game actually is:

:crobear:

Pixelate
Jan 6, 2018

"You win by having fun"
Almost accurate

quote:

lol. Only someone that is absolutely clueless as to what is going on underneath the hood of this game would say something like this. 10 years ago there was nothing coming even remotely close to the levels of simulation SC was aiming for (and currently reaching), and there is still nothing close today. History dictates that will continue to be the case for the foreseeable future.

https://youtu.be/2muGWtX8e7g

They will aim to add Quantum for the foreseeable future

Pixelate fucked around with this message at 03:24 on Jan 2, 2022

Thoatse
Feb 29, 2016

Pooned posted:

it's 65gb now with a few more god awful ships and max package price raised to *$40k

*must spent $10k to see it's **magnificence
**game not included

dieselfruit
Feb 21, 2013

Mirificus posted:

If you succeed CiG.... I mean... my god. You'll raise the bar to a whole other level posted:

fire spreading through the ship and you have to leave your seat mid battle to extinguish it before it reaches the power drive or you're dead.
meeting alien civilizations
engineers having to learn the ships technical build in order to reroute power to certain relais depending on the situation, making sure the crew can survive
your own persistent quarters, hangar, habs, outpost, where all the stuff you gather will remain untill needed.
fuel, component, weapon, and ship prices all dependant on the ingame economy
triggering the most peaceful player into a cold blooded killer or he or she will lose his/her ship
org warfare
your own ship names and interiors, together with modular components, engineering gameplay, skins, outer hull wear, and battle scars making it truly your ship
100 star systems which you can visit with that ship
finding an abandoned temple or derilict spacecraft on a wild planet which you can explore
visiting a small outpost on a distant moon from an outer system
pirates trying to board your ship after they've disabled it, and you gearing up to counter them
alien animals and primitive intelligence
walking on board a docked 890 jump for a luxury mission
hacking a terminal to get valuable data back to the boss, 6 star systems away.
sending probes out to the far edge of a new found system mapping it on your holotable
loading your magazine before battle with a valkyrie on the background
boarding a derilict reclaimer
landing on a jungle planet
NPC's with full on scedules and outfits hinting where they're from.
Flying through canyons!

The list goes on and on.

CiG... IF you can pull this off... God I hope you can pull it off. Please pull it off.

A never before seen space game that will have:
  • space ships
  • aliens
  • you can fly to a place and then land and look at that place

Bill Decker
Jan 5, 2020

trucutru posted:

Huh? :what: I guess this explains everything. He somehow slid here from some parallel universe.
The Mandalore Effect

MedicineHut
Feb 25, 2016

Rugz posted:

With time rapidly running out for a 2021 Letter From The Chairman what will the attempt at narrative control be:

• Give him a break it's Christmas
  • Give him a break he is moving his whole family to the UK
  • Give him a break he is busy sorting out SQ42
  • We saw him months ago we don't need another announcement
  • Nobody actually cares about those things so I'm glad he isn't wasting time on them

It's not my job to guess if the sun is going to come up tomorrow, but I'm certain it will. I also don't have to guess that Chris will finish this game to the best of his considerable ability. You only have to pay attention to the barometer of CIG: Tony Zurovec.

trucutru
Jul 9, 2003

by Fluffdaddy
It's quite fitting that the barometer is the guy who has managed to deliver even less games than Roberts in that past quarter of a century. Dude has plenty of experience in the field.

MedicineHut
Feb 25, 2016

trucutru posted:

It's quite fitting that the barometer is the guy who has managed to deliver even less games than Roberts in that past quarter of a century. Dude has plenty of experience in the field.

Yeah, the interesting bit is how that dude knows full well Chris not showing up is an issue, and he is already trying to evolve the narrative over Zurovec being the reference now.

MedicineHut
Feb 25, 2016

lol just started playing CoD Infinite Warfare. It has it all, including an actual "Fleet Week" happening in the first few scenes of the game, ships landing and flight deck operators with hand signals and all. loving lol.

Hammerstein
May 6, 2005

YOU DON'T KNOW A DAMN THING ABOUT RACING !
Is there any multi-crew ship in the game yet, that has a functioning subsystems station for another player? One that actually adds combat value? (except for turrets ofc)

What became of the 2-seater Super Hornet?

Fidelitious
Apr 17, 2018

MY BIRTH CRY WILL BE THE SOUND OF EVERY WALLET ON THIS PLANET OPENING IN UNISON.

GhostDog posted:

This is an absolutely depressing read, the ideas expressed about humans, work, leisure time and so on are really loving dire.

Dehumanize yourself and face to blockchain.

I know these topics are something that the executives of tech companies have to think about, but man, the entire letter is "blockchain", "nft", "cloud", etc. A combo-punch of bandwagon-jumping and buzzword usage.

Why "play to have fun" (scare quotes) when you can leverage your leisure time into a further attempt to survive the capitalist hellworld? Sounds great.

Plan R
Oct 5, 2021

For Romeo
Honestly at this point it's just trolling. These people don't get there for being stupid they just don't care waht it takes to get there.

Popete
Oct 6, 2009

This will make sure you don't suggest to the KDz
That he should grow greens instead of crushing on MCs

Grimey Drawer

GhostDog posted:

This is an absolutely depressing read, the ideas expressed about humans, work, leisure time and so on are really loving dire.

Dehumanize yourself and face to blockchain.

"I attribute this in large part to advances in extended reality (XR) technology, the increasing prevalence of the cloud and 5G, more sophisticated blockchain technology, and other technological evolutions that have taken place in a variety of fields over the past several years."

This reads like someone whose frame of reference for the state of technology is Facebook ads and T-Mobile commercials.

cmdrk
Jun 10, 2013
I missed this one from a few pages back, but:

Star Citizen: Roberts Space industries gives us the tools to manage our own grief

Beet Wagon
Oct 19, 2015

Man, so I had some time off this week and resolved to finish my playthrough of Cyberpunk (maybe the main game citizens use as a comparison point nowadays). It may be the only major game I've ever played that is as buggy as Star Citizen. The number of completely inexcusable bugs I ran into is actually kind of shocking. It makes for a really interesting game as a comparison point to Star Citizen because the citizens are right - it is absolutely buggy and broken as poo poo. But the thing is, despite not really having much positive to say about Cyberpunk, there really isn't a single aspect of this game that I can even imagine CIG matching with SC/SQ42. Cyberpunk represents a really low bar to clear and I don't think CIG'll ever get there lol

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kavros
May 18, 2011

sleep sleep sleep
fly fly post post
sleep sleep sleep
I've been playing Everspace 2's open access as a palate cleanser to the unmanageable wreck of Star Citizen

Like night and day.