Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

BitBasher
Jun 6, 2004

You've got to know the rules before you can break 'em. Otherwise, it's no fun.

MrYenko posted:

There’s a room with like four or six “public” computers that most controllers use for our admin stuff. I’m on a detail in the training lab where I have “my own”computer, but it was recently replaced without transferring any of the software that had been present on the old machine.

Also only two of those computers will actually connect to the FAA intranet and access our admin stuff and CBI stuff. The other four are semi-permanently broken.

IT via lowest bidder.

Oooh! I have poo poo that interfaces with FAA poo poo at a location. All and I mean ALL federal IDFs (Networks closets) are absolutely terrifying. Rat's nests of cables, bad life choices and terminal apathy I can only assume spanning back tech after tech. Every site I have to deal with that also has any federal poo poo we make out own little overly velcroed trunk of just our patch cables completely separate from theirs just to have to never even wonder what is theirs and ours. Undoing a dozen velcro straps for a 4 foot patch cable bundle is well, well worth the mental peace of mind to never even have to contemplate which poo poo in those closets is ours. As far as I can tell their maintenance plan involves a lot of gesturing, shrugging and throwing cables all over with no rhyme or reason. The FAA is no exception.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MrYenko
Jun 18, 2012

#2 isn't ALWAYS bad...

BitBasher posted:

As far as I can tell their maintenance plan involves a lot of gesturing, shrugging and throwing cables all over with no rhyme or reason. The FAA is no exception.

gently caress, that sounds like our godamned core mission statement.

Aramoro
Jun 1, 2012

I think the oldest system I ever worked with was at a Legal search company (a company that a solicitor uses when doing conveyancing etc). All the accounts were done on a MicroVAX 2000 which was presented with a CSV, it ran for an hour and produced some other CSVs. I wrote a whole spring/hibernate/axis web stack thing which presented things to the solicitors but ultimately all it did was produce a CSV for the MicroVAX. Also no one in our company could use it or change it. All changes were done by a contractor who'd come up from Leeds anytime we wanted to change anything.

That was the same job where we had to work with Registers House, who in YOOL 2009-10 were still using IE 6 because they relied on an activex plugin to work that also needed the Microsoft JVM installed. So that was different.

Improbable Lobster
Jan 6, 2012

"From each according to his ability" said Ares. It sounded like a quotation.
Buglord

SilvergunSuperman posted:

That's just greedy, with nearly a stolen mil in the bank I sure as gently caress wouldn't be living anywhere that extradites to the US.

I feel like if you wanted to flee the country you'd need a couple million these days, probably closer to like ten mil

SubponticatePoster
Aug 9, 2004

Every day takes figurin' out all over again how to fuckin' live.
Slippery Tilde

MrYenko posted:

On December 2, 2021, I made a request to have Adobe Reader DC installed on my work computer so I can actually open the briefings and memos I get sent.

December 9, the ticket was assigned to a software analyst.

December 29, the software analyst sent an email to my supervisor asking for authorization for an employee to have a free PDF reader. Who knows what could come of this.

Shockingly, also on the 29th my supervisor approved it, and it was installed last night. (The 30th.)

So, 28 days, and an email chain with four people on it. For Adobe Reader.
I started a new position on Dec 13th doing support for our proprietary software system. I was actually hired in November, but they postponed my start date for a month because the team I was leaving was already down 3 agents out of 8, and I would make it 4. So they had a month to be ready for me.

I did not have a computer on the first day. I also didn't have a phone (though this one isn't really a big deal, we communicate mostly through IM's, emails, and Google Meets).

I got the laptop on the 2nd day, but did not have access to the drive folders I needed. Part of my job is checking proxy email accounts, which I also didn't have access to. My supervisor had put in the request the previous week.
I was able to get access to the folders and set up in two other programs necessary for daily tasks, but not the program for running SQL queries which is a huge chunk of what we actually do. I also had to be given access to several other systems.

Wednesday I could see drive folders, so I could start to learn how to do my job. Note: a lot of this consists of copying information from one folder in loving Notepad, then saving it elsewhere so someone else can look at it. Instead of, y'know, giving the person who needs to see the info access to that folder. The person in question is our Director of Finance, so it's not like she'd be in there vandalizing stuff. Also this stupid task is one of the most prioritized; if she doesn't have the info by 8:30 she'll start pelting you with emails.

Friday I was told I now had access to the SQL program. I could log in, but didn't have permission to run queries. I sent an email to our DBA, who replied that she was including someone else in the convo and to reply all as she would be out of the office Xmas week. The other guy didn't reply.

After my supervisor poking several people, going through another person (who roped in the original other guy who was supposed to help) I finally got access Thursday. The 30th. For something I need on a daily basis. Still can't save queries I'll use repeatedly, but I can run them. I do have Adobe Reader, though :v:

Some other fun facts about this job: We're officially known as "support" for our software, but we don't fix it if it breaks. That's another department. We mostly exist to test enhancements and run batches in the testing reason so a different team can see if something is working correctly. I did learn to run batches quickly once I got access, so that's been the bulk of what I've been doing besides c/p files. We have meetings with other departments that consist mostly of people going "I don't know where we are with this, we're waiting on 'X' to finish up their part." Person X is never in these meetings. I also found out they're ostensibly using Agile for project management, which made me go :stonk: after reading this thread. We have project management software and I can log into that. However, I can't see my team's stuff, just everyone else's.

A Festivus Miracle
Dec 19, 2012

I have come to discourse on the profound inequities of the American political system.

Safety call this morning: " These are our core values: integrity, honesty, family"

My management promised a 1k bonus for sticking around and then when we went union (and got a pay bump because we unionized) suddenly that bonus disappeared and was never paid out.

So, integrity:nope. Honesty: only when expedient,, family: downright abusive.

boar guy
Jan 25, 2007

run away from companies that want to be families

families keep secrets
families take advantage
families are patriarchal

you also dont choose your family
'we're a family' means 'you're the children'

punishedkissinger
Sep 20, 2017

well they didnt say whose family

bobjr
Oct 16, 2012

Roose is loose.
🐓🐓🐓✊🪧

For some people family just means obligation without reward or respect, so it fits.

You don’t get to choose family, and it’s not always a positive aspect in someone’s life, so it’s always a little weird to push a family aspect as a workplace to me.

boar guy
Jan 25, 2007

the 82 year old in my department and their utter inability to do any sort of work at all in a modern, functional capacity is a real good example of why you don't want to work for a family company unless the bonus they pay you is big enough that you don't care/put up with the bullshit

constantly remind yourself not to care

zedprime
Jun 9, 2007

yospos
There's a very MBA line of thought that if you came from a broken home and have aversions to family then you don't belong in the organization that calls itself a family.

boar guy
Jan 25, 2007

zedprime posted:

There's a very MBA line of thought that if you came from a broken home and have aversions to family then you don't belong in the organization that calls itself a family.

the same line of thought sees introversion as an automatic negative but not everyone wants to have the functional equivalent of two jobs which is what the office routine is for an introvert. some people just wanna- get this- do their work and get the gently caress outta there :)

Critical
Aug 23, 2007

A very rational and not at all batshit vendor just stated he is taking us to court over an unpaid invoice. The invoice is unpaid because he refuses to send a copy of his W9, which he was told he needed to provide before he took the service call.

Going to spend thousands in legal fees over a $250 invoice. His attorney must adore him.

duck monster
Dec 15, 2004

I had a sovereign citizen boss once. He was actually a really nice dude, but he was completely loving batshit and believed *all* the conspiracy theories. Kept trying to hassle me to let him not pay my tax because he knew the SECRET WORDS to tell the tax dept that I reject their nefarious evil tax.

About a year after his company exploded he got arrested for tax evasion which got me audited (I was fine, Im not an idiot), but it turns out he didnt pay ALL the tax for me (again I was fine, the tax dept considers the boss liable for that, not me, but it did mean I was unable to claim a tax refund that year) and apparently he went apeshit at the judge which basically meant next stop was cassurina prison.

Remulak
Jun 8, 2001
I can't count to four.
Yams Fan

duck monster posted:

cassurina prison.
First, lol that you downunders have sauv cits. Of course ya do.
Second, lol that the prison name sounds like it started as a controlled hamlet for cassowaries during the emu war.

Outrail
Jan 4, 2009

www.sapphicrobotica.com
:roboluv: :love: :roboluv:

Remulak posted:

First, lol that you downunders have sauv cits. Of course ya do.
Second, lol that the prison name sounds like it started as a controlled hamlet for cassowaries during the emu war.

Cassurina is an ugly Australian tree that looks like a cross between a pine tree, a horsetail and a willow.

boar guy
Jan 25, 2007

person that has ostensibly worked 'in marketing' for the last 50 years: 'what do the top of the funnel, middle of the funnel and bottom of the funnel mean?'

TotalLossBrain
Oct 20, 2010

Hier graben!
It's a sex thing probably

boar guy
Jan 25, 2007

TotalLossBrain posted:

It's a sex thing probably

i hope so

Tunicate
May 15, 2012

A funnel is basically an upsidedown triangle

goatface
Dec 5, 2007

I had a video of that when I was about 6.

I remember it being shit.

Grimey Drawer
It's a cone with some problems.

Atopian
Sep 23, 2014

I need a security perimeter with Venetian blinds.

goatface posted:

It's a cone with some problems opportunities.

Fixed for marketing.

bee
Dec 17, 2008

Do you often sing or whistle just for fun?
I have an employee who is demanding that our employer fund a desk for him so he can work at home, because his usual workplace is shut down thanks to the plague. He's trying to claim that he can't work because he doesn't have a workstation at home that mirrors the one provided for him in the office. He's already burned through all his sick leave, so he's about to discover that he's now on leave without pay because he's refusing to work. I expect to be receiving some super fun emails from him tomorrow.

Where would someone get the idea that your employer is going to buy you a desk? :whoptc:

champagne posting
Apr 5, 2006

YOU ARE A BRAIN
IN A BUNKER

bee posted:

I have an employee who is demanding that our employer fund a desk for him so he can work at home, because his usual workplace is shut down thanks to the plague. He's trying to claim that he can't work because he doesn't have a workstation at home that mirrors the one provided for him in the office. He's already burned through all his sick leave, so he's about to discover that he's now on leave without pay because he's refusing to work. I expect to be receiving some super fun emails from him tomorrow.

Where would someone get the idea that your employer is going to buy you a desk? :whoptc:

that's a perfectly reasonable expectation if you live in a place that has like, employment laws

Barudak
May 7, 2007

boar guy posted:

person that has ostensibly worked 'in marketing' for the last 50 years: 'what do the top of the funnel, middle of the funnel and bottom of the funnel mean?'

To be honest, they mean absolutely gently caress all and don't reflect whats actually happening, but not knowing what they mean in marketing is sort of like being unaware of the fact santa brings presents as a professional mall santa

Aramoro
Jun 1, 2012

bee posted:

Wait are we supposed to be on your employers side here? Here it's your workplace's responsibility to make sure you have everything you need to do your job. I got a chair from my work and could have gotten a desk as well.

bee
Dec 17, 2008

champagne posting posted:

that's a perfectly reasonable expectation if you live in a place that has like, employment laws

The desk is for him to keep in his house, in addition to the one that is already set up in the office. No, he's not allowed to take the $1000 motorised sit stand desk already provided for him at work home.

bee
Dec 17, 2008

Ok maybe I'm in a weird land with employment laws different to the USA but here it is not a reasonable expectation to have your employer furnish your home office/workspace for you. You are expected to buy it yourself, then you can claim it as a deduction on your income tax.

champagne posting
Apr 5, 2006

YOU ARE A BRAIN
IN A BUNKER

it's literally the law in Denmark (maybe it's even an EU law) that your workspace has to follow the law even if it happens that you work from home. The law for instance says you have to have a desk that can go up and down for ergonomics, so if you work from home your employer still has to provide this.

Son of Rodney
Feb 22, 2006

ohmygodohmygodohmygod

If your workplace is shut down, especially if this is done by your employer, it is absolutely reasonable to expect for them to provide you with the necessary office equipment and in fact mandatory in many countries. Just lmao being such a brownnose that you'd be on the employers side on this.

Atopian
Sep 23, 2014

I need a security perimeter with Venetian blinds.
In the UK I could see an employer becoming liable if an employee forced to work from home developed health issues from a (whatever the opposite of ergonomic is called) setup that their employer demanded they use and refused to improve.

champagne posting
Apr 5, 2006

YOU ARE A BRAIN
IN A BUNKER

also lmao at two people agonizing over a thousand bucks

"oh no how will my company ever bear this expense"

Blowdryer
Jan 25, 2008

bee posted:

my employer will give us free monitors and desks your company sucks

bee
Dec 17, 2008

Son of Rodney posted:

If your workplace is shut down, especially if this is done by your employer, it is absolutely reasonable to expect for them to provide you with the necessary office equipment and in fact mandatory in many countries. Just lmao being such a brownnose that you'd be on the employers side on this.

Computers and phones, yeah I'd expect those. But a desk? That's just loving bizarre to me. Who doesn't have a table or a desk in their house already?

champagne posting
Apr 5, 2006

YOU ARE A BRAIN
IN A BUNKER

if your company won't spring a thousand bucks on you to work better from home i dont know what to tell you bee

bee
Dec 17, 2008

My company is the government and they pretty much suck no matter where you are
:shrug:

Darkest Auer
Dec 30, 2006

They're silly

Ramrod XTreme

bee posted:

Computers and phones, yeah I'd expect those. But a desk? That's just loving bizarre to me. Who doesn't have a table or a desk in their house already?

Who buys and keeps an empty desk in their house just for their employer?

Steakandchips
Apr 30, 2009

bee posted:

This is a reasonable request and you should buy him a sodding desk. He's trying to work, and if work requires a tool, work should provide it. A desk is a tool. Buy him the desk.

StrangersInTheNight
Dec 31, 2007
ABSOLUTE FUCKING GUDGEON
what if they don't have a desk? why should it be on the employee to have a home office set-up if they aren't a freelancer or contractor?

relying on the grace of folks being successful enough to have extra space and furniture is some privileged-assumption poo poo

your response as a manager should never be to judge the lifestyles of those you are managing and assume they should have something, it's to listen to what they need to do the work and get them help with that

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Refried Noodle
Feb 23, 2012

My work gave everyone a budget to get their home office sorted. Turns out I really needed a second gaming monitor for them spreadsheets.