Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

RC Cola
Aug 1, 2011

Dovie'andi se tovya sagain

Fish Of Doom posted:

So I just started Breath of the Wild for the first time and like 2 hours in it just turns into a really boring tedious hunting simulator? This poo poo sucks.
For those who have played it, does it
A. Get better from here?
B. Is this hunting and cooking stuff a big part of the game or can I just ignore it for the most part like all the Ratatouille stuff in Kingdom Hearts?

I hated breath of the wild. I 100% it and hated 90% of the time. A ton of people love it, but it's ok to not be one of those people

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rolo
Nov 16, 2005

Hmm, what have we here?
Like it or hate it, neither is as bad as 100%-ing a game you hated 90% of the time.

Just play something else drat.

The Postman
May 12, 2007

RC Cola posted:

I hated breath of the wild. I 100% it and hated 90% of the time. A ton of people love it, but it's ok to not be one of those people

You actually collected 900 Korok seeds in a game you hate??

CPColin
Sep 9, 2003

Big ol' smile.

Mega64 posted:

*Post Nintendo Switch

Pre-NS and PNS, checks out

The Anime Liker
Aug 8, 2009

by VideoGames
I just upgraded from launch model to OLED, so,

Star posted:

2022, the year of the switch pro

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

YOU SAY MY POSTS ARE THE RAVINGS OF THE DUMBEST PERSON ON GOD'S GREEN EARTH BUT YOU YOURSELF ARE READING THEM. CURIOUS!
I hated Breath of the wild but I just stopped playing it?

Why would you 100% it

Wildtortilla
Jul 8, 2008
Re: games everyone loves but I just can’t get into - for me it’s slay the spire. I played about 30 hours of it this summer and cleared the first run with the first three characters and then I just lost interest. I’ve been thinking about it lately so I booted it up today, played for about 30 minutes, and it’s still not clicking for me. I don’t understand why, by all accounts I should be really into this game for at least 100 hours, yet here I am still not getting it.

Item Getter
Dec 14, 2015

flavor.flv posted:

If you disconnect the original switch from wifi you can even play two players on the same game as long as it supports local multiplayer

From a page back but:
Does the primary switch need to be connected to wifi for the secondary switch to launch the game?

Chronojam
Feb 20, 2006

This is me on vacation in Amsterdam :)
Never be afraid of being yourself!

Your Account can start the games you own (any Switch)
Your Switch can start the games you own (any Account)

If another person on Your Switch is playing a game, you can play with them by using Your Account on another Switch. This lets you e.g. monster hunt together in an online lobby with one copy of the game.

If Your Account tries to start multiple games simultaneously, it'll get upset, so you can't just share Your Account with ten friends. You can mitigate this somewhat with offline mode.

Vivian Darkbloom
Jul 14, 2004

Where the Water Tastes Like Wine is incredible. I'm glad the Switch is getting some really weird games from indie devs.

RC Cola
Aug 1, 2011

The Postman posted:

You actually collected 900 Korok seeds in a game you hate??

Yes

RC Cola
Aug 1, 2011

I like collecting. The collecting was the best part. It was everything else I disliked

The Anime Liker
Aug 8, 2009

by VideoGames

RC Cola posted:

I like collecting. The collecting was the best part. It was everything else I disliked

loving wut

100YrsofAttitude
Apr 29, 2013

RC Cola posted:

What a champ. Incredible. I'm surprised you didn't enjoy it more, there's nearly a 1000 of those little fuckers to collect.

---

I'm struggling with my latest Super Metroid run so I turn to you all.

The game still plays great. The map traversal is alright and exploring is great, but I began it this time in a very slap-dash fashion, without a thought of anything. I've hardly been methodical, which is going to ruin my time, but I thought I could just smash through the game, but apparently not.

But I'm stuck. I do not know where to go. I just beat the Skull Ghost in the Abandoned Ship and got the X-ray visor. And that's it. I can't reach Ridley, I can't go into Maridia, I can't figure out how to get to that one item in the Ship. I just realized I haven't explored the underwater area through the tube WITH the visor, so I'll check that but I'm not feeling confident. I feel dumb and it bugs me because the first time I played this I had 0 problems.

Wildtortilla
Jul 8, 2008

100YrsofAttitude posted:

What a champ. Incredible. I'm surprised you didn't enjoy it more, there's nearly a 1000 of those little fuckers to collect.

---

I'm struggling with my latest Super Metroid run so I turn to you all.

The game still plays great. The map traversal is alright and exploring is great, but I began it this time in a very slap-dash fashion, without a thought of anything. I've hardly been methodical, which is going to ruin my time, but I thought I could just smash through the game, but apparently not.

But I'm stuck. I do not know where to go. I just beat the Skull Ghost in the Abandoned Ship and got the X-ray visor. And that's it. I can't reach Ridley, I can't go into Maridia, I can't figure out how to get to that one item in the Ship. I just realized I haven't explored the underwater area through the tube WITH the visor, so I'll check that but I'm not feeling confident. I feel dumb and it bugs me because the first time I played this I had 0 problems.

I think you mightve missed the gravity suit in the ship. It’s been a few years since I played but I’m pretty sure that’s where the gravity suit is. With that you can move under water, assuming you can figure out how to break your way into Maridia with something you already have.

100YrsofAttitude
Apr 29, 2013

Wildtortilla posted:

I think you mightve missed the gravity suit in the ship. It’s been a few years since I played but I’m pretty sure that’s where the gravity suit is. With that you can move under water, assuming you can figure out how to break your way into Maridia with something you already have.

I suspect that's the item I can't figure out how to reach and it's bugging me. The entrance to it is outside of the ship, the bottom door is closed and clearly one way, the door above it leads to a speed booster path that shows me the item, but with no point of entry from that angle. And I can't seem to find the entrance from inside the ship despite scouring it with the X-Ray visor.

I've found plenty of missiles though!

Wildtortilla
Jul 8, 2008

100YrsofAttitude posted:

I suspect that's the item I can't figure out how to reach and it's bugging me. The entrance to it is outside of the ship, the bottom door is closed and clearly one way, the door above it leads to a speed booster path that shows me the item, but with no point of entry from that angle. And I can't seem to find the entrance from inside the ship despite scouring it with the X-Ray visor.

I've found plenty of missiles though!

I’m pretty sure you get outside the ship way at the top of it, roll through some morph ball puzzles, maybe grapple a bit, and end up back inside the ship near the suit. There may also be a speed boost thing involving knocking those dumb robots into pits so you have enough of a straight stretch to boost. I don’t remember where exactly that is on the ship but I can hear the sound those robots make when you blast them into stumbling backwards.

Bleck
Jan 7, 2014

No matter how one loves, there are always different aims. Love can take a great many forms, whatever the era.

RC Cola posted:

I hated breath of the wild. I 100% it and hated 90% of the time.

Aliens are gonna come down to the ruined post-human husk of this planet, find this post and glance at each other with a knowing look

Upsidads
Jan 11, 2007
Now and then we had a hope that if we lived and were good, God would permit us to be pirates

I hate collecting
Looking for and finding things are for chumps
I live in a well

100YrsofAttitude
Apr 29, 2013

Wildtortilla posted:

I’m pretty sure you get outside the ship way at the top of it, roll through some morph ball puzzles, maybe grapple a bit, and end up back inside the ship near the suit. There may also be a speed boost thing involving knocking those dumb robots into pits so you have enough of a straight stretch to boost. I don’t remember where exactly that is on the ship but I can hear the sound those robots make when you blast them into stumbling backwards.

Found the loving path and I feel like a dope but thanks for the reminder. I'm looking forward to the wonder map of Dread I've heard so much about.

Wildtortilla
Jul 8, 2008

100YrsofAttitude posted:

Found the loving path and I feel like a dope but thanks for the reminder. I'm looking forward to the wonder map of Dread I've heard so much about.

I’m replaying Dread right now. There is much less confused map wandering than in Super. The map is much more like Dark Souls. If you keep moving forward to the nearest path your newest gizmo can open, you’ll be weaving in and out of familiar areas while you open new paths through them. It’s wild to think how the path through the game was designed. With that said I think I like exploring maps more in the more wandery games like Super and Prime.

Dread is excellent and nothing I “criticize” about it should be taken seriously. It’s an A+++ gaming experience.

Inzombiac
Mar 19, 2007

PARTY ALL NIGHT

EAT BRAINS ALL DAY

I never felt very lost with Dread once I figured out what it was doing with the map.

Didn't feel like there was a lot to explore outside the main path but maybe that's my fault.

Harriet Carker
Jun 2, 2009

I actually ended up disliking Dread because it's a ridiculously linear game disguised as an open game. The item progression and especially teleporter location constantly funnels the player toward the next objective, and the game frequently blocks once opened doors to prevent backtracking.

I am surprised to see so many people praising how open it feels.

Wildtortilla
Jul 8, 2008

Inzombiac posted:

I never felt very lost with Dread once I figured out what it was doing with the map.

Didn't feel like there was a lot to explore outside the main path but maybe that's my fault.

That’s how I felt my first time and that’s how I continue to feel during round 2. It’s very linear. The metroidvanianess comes from gadgets that open new paths but it seems quite linear. There doesn’t seem to be much room for deviation. TBH the more into the second run I get the more I’m tempted to just play Super Metroid for the zillionth time.

Cartoon Man
Jan 31, 2004

Harriet Carker posted:

I actually ended up disliking Dread because it's a ridiculously linear game disguised as an open game. The item progression and especially teleporter location constantly funnels the player toward the next objective, and the game frequently blocks once opened doors to prevent backtracking.

I am surprised to see so many people praising how open it feels.

I had a similar opinion but it didn’t bother me in the slightest, game was still a blast to play. The sequence breaking is there for the speed runners and gamers looking for a challenge.

Harriet Carker
Jun 2, 2009

Cartoon Man posted:

I had a similar opinion but it didn’t bother me in the slightest, game was still a blast to play. The sequence breaking is there for the speed runners and gamers looking for a challenge.

I still liked quite a bit of it, but I was constantly frustrated by getting a new powerup and thinking "Oh, I remember a few places I can use this!" only to be stuck by a blocked door when I tried to go backtrack.

I didn't end up doing item cleanup, or even checking out some of the very initial hot temperature zones, until literally the very end of the game because I was so funneled until that point.

Waffle!
Aug 6, 2004

I Feel Pretty!

Replaying Dread is like playing BotW again. All the dread :haw: from the first times you encounter EMMI and Guardian bots is replaced with "oh yeah, these guys again..."

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

🚣RowboatMan: ❄️Freezing time🕰️ is an old P.I. 🥧trick...

I essentially just got Dicey Dungeons for free, and I really enjoy it, outside of the grammar (one die is a die, not "a dice" :argh:).

Also, I'm late to the party, but I love Passpartout. I drew a picture of a poopy butt and it sold for something 350€ in the first area.

big deal
Sep 10, 2017

Rupert Buttermilk posted:

I essentially just got Dicey Dungeons for free, and I really enjoy it, outside of the grammar (one die is a die, not "a dice" :argh:).

i haven't opened the game yet but it's extremely clear that they're playing this up just from reading the description on the store. they know that too.

Mega64
May 23, 2008

I took the octopath less travelered,

And it made one-eighth the difference.
https://twitter.com/MarioBrothBlog/status/1477307223776890885

Fuligin
Oct 27, 2010

wait what the fuck??

Harriet Carker posted:

I still liked quite a bit of it, but I was constantly frustrated by getting a new powerup and thinking "Oh, I remember a few places I can use this!" only to be stuck by a blocked door when I tried to go backtrack.

I didn't end up doing item cleanup, or even checking out some of the very initial hot temperature zones, until literally the very end of the game because I was so funneled until that point.

Yeah it annoyed the poo poo out of me as well. Still a great game but i wish it allowed more freedom

Stux
Nov 17, 2006
Probation
Can't post for 6 days!

b_d posted:

i haven't opened the game yet but it's extremely clear that they're playing this up just from reading the description on the store. they know that too.

disagree. theyre clearly morons of the highest degree.

The Postman
May 12, 2007

Wilmot's Warehouse is good

Foul Fowl
Sep 12, 2008

Uuuuh! Seek ye me?
finishing dread with 33% item completion ftw

chaleski
Apr 25, 2014

tuo posted:

1080p at the minimum

It's 720p for those who play in handheld, tyvm

Also Dicey Dungeons rules except for the witch, I want to 100% the game and find all the cool secrets but don't want to have to beat the game multiple times with that awful character, please god

Fuligin
Oct 27, 2010

wait what the fuck??

im enjoying everything about smtV except for its performance, which is unfortunately pretty dire in handheld mode at least.

Bottom Liner
Feb 15, 2006

a specific vein of lasagna

RC Cola posted:

I hated breath of the wild. I 100% it and hated 90% of the time.

lmao dude

Barreft
Jul 21, 2014

Fuligin posted:

im enjoying everything about smtV except for its performance, which is unfortunately pretty dire in handheld mode at least.

The graphics aren't the best but I found it runs pretty smooth, for the switch hardware at least. Though I'm comparing it to Age of Calamity which just straight up freezes at points.

YggiDee
Sep 12, 2007

WASP CREW
Just started Disco Elysium (I know it's crashy but I don't own anything else that runs it) and my necktie started talking to me. I... Hm.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Harriet Carker
Jun 2, 2009

chaleski posted:

Also Dicey Dungeons rules except for the witch, I want to 100% the game and find all the cool secrets but don't want to have to beat the game multiple times with that awful character, please god

Witch isn't that bad. Stick magic missile in the first permanent slot and find an upgrade to get another permanent slot and it can often be pretty smooth sailing.