Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Angry Diplomat
Nov 7, 2009

Winner of the TSR Memorial Award for Excellence In Grogging

Megazver posted:

It will be a spiritual sequel to Alpha Protocol.

It'll be a "card battler survival roguelike" with incredibly grindy metaprogression, requiring dozens of failed runs to unlock things before it's possible to win.

Serious edit: I kinda feel like they caught lightning in a bottle with Prey. Not sure we'll ever see its like again.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

KillHour
Oct 28, 2007

Angry Diplomat posted:

Serious edit: I kinda feel like they caught lightning in a bottle with Prey. Not sure we'll ever see its like again.

That's what people said about Deus Ex. Someone will do it, it just might not be Arkane.

Dr. Arbitrary
Mar 15, 2006

Bleak Gremlin

Angry Diplomat posted:

It'll be a "card battler survival roguelike" with incredibly grindy metaprogression, requiring dozens of failed runs to unlock things before it's possible to win.

I just made myself excited by imagining a turn zero win using a Heck Deck.

Thundercracker
Jun 25, 2004

Proudly serving the Ruinous Powers since as a veteran of the long war.
College Slice

Samopsa posted:

arkane is two separate studios working together in lyon, france and austin, texas. Dishonored 1 was developed by both location at the same time. After that they changed it up: Prey and Mooncrash came from texas under the lead of raphael colantonio (who previously resided in Lyon), Dishonored 2 under the lead of Harvey Smith (who previously resided in Austin). They kept on going with this model afterwards, with Deathloop being developed in Lyon, and Redfall in Austin.

The creative director on Mooncrash went on to work on Redfall, not Deathloop.

I'm just so baffled at all of this. The same parent studio coming up with essentially the same premise for a game but from independent branches and the Deathloop one unwilling to even acknowledge the other?

Like, how are you as creative director on Deathloop going to go on record saying you didn't even play your own studio's previous game and have that look good?

There's just so much wierdness here I really want to watch the tell all documentary 5 years from now. Like was the Deathloop team forbidden to play Mooncrash because of a jilted romance? And they had to reconstruct the gameplay loop from office rumors?

Megazver
Jan 13, 2006

Thundercracker posted:

I'm just so baffled at all of this. The same parent studio coming up with essentially the same premise for a game but from independent branches and the Deathloop one unwilling to even acknowledge the other?

Like, how are you as creative director on Deathloop going to go on record saying you didn't even play your own studio's previous game and have that look good?

There's just so much wierdness here I really want to watch the tell all documentary 5 years from now. Like was the Deathloop team forbidden to play Mooncrash because of a jilted romance? And they had to reconstruct the gameplay loop from office rumors?

There is a notion that originality can only be achieved by deliberately not paying attention to what anyone else in the field is doing, so that you're not influenced by them. There is a grain of truth to it, but most of the time you just end up making the same mistakes everyone else did.

Samopsa
Nov 9, 2009

Krijgt geen speciaal kerstdiner!

Thundercracker posted:

well, you're in luck!
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3ra-jkrurR4
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kXLxaKrcFZ0
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wsQiKKfKxug
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GLExoItBLVc
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=h4kdqwdbZZ8

KillHour
Oct 28, 2007

Yeah it was that first video where he says he never played Mooncrash.

flatluigi
Apr 23, 2008

here come the planes
i think people assuming there's some interstudio drama are going down a rabbithole tbqh

it probably just started with 'we want to make a similar concept simultaneously to y'all working on your own concept' and they responded with 'okay, let's work on it independently so that we're not just making the same game twice' & successfully avoided doing just that

KillHour
Oct 28, 2007

The part is here: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3ra-jkrurR4&t=958s

He literally did not know what Mooncrash was about when it came out and Deathloop was in production so he started playing it and immediately stopped when he realized it was a similar concept. He also said he avoided movies that were based on time loops because uh... well he doesn't say why.

Shrimp or Shrimps
Feb 14, 2012

Just picked up Prey and Mooncrash when it was given away for free by Epic, and so I've started on normal difficulty but I've got all 3 survival options ticked. I'm in the lobby and need to get to my office, though I've picked up 2 Neuromods already. However, I have a concussion so I can't actually install any until I heal myself in the trauma center. So far, this has been tense and I'm really liking it. I've been really taking my time reading everything and absorbing the design and visual storytelling, and I can instantly tell I'm going to play this right through to the end. So, a couple of question for the vets:

1. Have I made a mistake ticking the survival options (IIRC it's weapon degradation, injuries that can't be healed by medkits, and suit leaks air if it's damaged)? I'm just at normal difficulty and fights haven't been too hard yet.

2. Why does the game look like Bioshock 1 era graphics despite being on Cryengine? Art design is very strong and mitigates some of it, but I wish I could set textures to Ultra or something because they look so blurry once they get past a certain distance. I think it's an LOD thing? Also, wish I had more AA options, going up to 4x would be nice and my graphics card could handle it. DSR doesn't seem to work properly even in full screen mode but maybe I need to try tinkering with some settings first.

I looked on Nexus mods for a graphics overhaul sort of thing but the only one there has tons of people complaining about bugs, so I'm not going to bother with that. Also it's got that typical reshade look where they just up contrast a million percent.

KillHour
Oct 28, 2007

I don't like the survival options because I think they get tedious but at the same time the game throws so many resources at you it doesn't really matter either way. At least you'll have a use for minerals I guess.

aniviron
Sep 11, 2014

Shrimp or Shrimps posted:

1. Have I made a mistake ticking the survival options (IIRC it's weapon degradation, injuries that can't be healed by medkits, and suit leaks air if it's damaged)? I'm just at normal difficulty and fights haven't been too hard yet.

2. Why does the game look like Bioshock 1 era graphics despite being on Cryengine? Art design is very strong and mitigates some of it, but I wish I could set textures to Ultra or something because they look so blurry once they get past a certain distance. I think it's an LOD thing? Also, wish I had more AA options, going up to 4x would be nice and my graphics card could handle it. DSR doesn't seem to work properly even in full screen mode but maybe I need to try tinkering with some settings first.

I'm not a huge fan of the survival options personally but they're not a huge detriment to the game, if you like that sort of thing in other games then keep them on. I don't think it's a big deal either way though.

The graphics blurring is the result of being on cryengine. I had the same problem - it turns out that if the game runs out of video memory it just starts loading in these terrible low LODs for objects that are relatively close to you in order to keep your framerate high. Turning your textures down will make them look slightly less good up close but way better overall, or at least, it did for me. Not sure about the AA stuff though.

Mierenneuker
Apr 28, 2010

We're all going to experience changes in our life but only the best of us will qualify for front row seats.

I used the survival options during my second playthrough and I was not a fan. It didn't help that I made it way harder on myself by it being a Typhon only playthrough. Preventing yourself from upgrading your inventory size makes for a terrible combination when weapons have durability and you might need to those cures for injuries on you instead of dumping them in your office.

Basically, don't play with needless restrictions, regardless of whether they are in-game options or self-inflicted.

Wafflecopper
Nov 27, 2004

I am a mouth, and I must scream

The survival elements (injuries and corresponding cures) were only added into the game in a patch quite a while after the game released, with the Mooncrash DLC IIRC. The original game wasn't designed with them in mind and they were just chucked in as bonus content since Mooncrash used them. As others have said, they're easy enough to acquire that injuries are irrelevant, unless you're doing a self-imposed Typhon challenge and have minimal inventory space for carrying them around I guess.

Hannibal Rex
Feb 13, 2010
It's more like, they were originally intended to be in the game, but were cut for time. I don't think there bad, but they're not as well integrated as they could have been, and I think the crafting recipes for the various cure items are not distributed very well. I usually had to find a med-bot to get rid of them, but then again, actually sustaining injuries was also fairly rare.

As long as you upgrade your inventory, I don't think it's a bad idea to play with them included.

Plan R
Oct 5, 2021

For Romeo
I picked this up on ps4 last week. Played it, beat it. Got I&T, DNH, read all, hear all, etc. Then I turned around and am just about to finish a human-only playthrough.

I'm so happy I bought this and I haven't even played the DLC yet! But before that, a no-needle/no mercy playthrough.

Two things I noticed -- Playing with the mimic in behavioral biometrics lab and it turned into a photo of the Yu family. also looking at Mika's face, the shadows (ps4) make her look like she's eighty. Using the psychoscope you can see how she's supposed to look and it's quite a difference.

Ugly In The Morning
Jul 1, 2010
Pillbug

Previa_fun posted:

Bounced off deathloop pretty hard tbh. I wanted to like it and it definitely has a lot going for it but the environment feels really shallow.

Redfall looks interesting. Oh. It's co-op. Nevermind. :(

We're never getting another Prey again are we?

Not having checkpoints or saves kicked me right in the dick because I could play for like 30 minutes, have to do something else, then have to play the same 30 minutes again because why won’t you let me at least save and quit you idiot hellfuckers

I’m still in the first loop and walked off. The game isn’t bad but not being able to walk away when I have to killed it.

ToxicFrog
Apr 26, 2008

Ugly In The Morning posted:

Not having checkpoints or saves kicked me right in the dick because I could play for like 30 minutes, have to do something else, then have to play the same 30 minutes again because why won’t you let me at least save and quit you idiot hellfuckers

I’m still in the first loop and walked off. The game isn’t bad but not being able to walk away when I have to killed it.

Wait what the gently caress

I picked it up on sale but haven't played it yet, I wonder if I'm still in the refund window

Hannibal Rex
Feb 13, 2010

I get what you're saying, but Deathloop is explicitly designed in a way that things that took you 30 minutes the first time around can be accomplished in 10, 5 or 3 minutes as you learn the maps.

Ugly In The Morning
Jul 1, 2010
Pillbug

Hannibal Rex posted:

I get what you're saying, but Deathloop is explicitly designed in a way that things that took you 30 minutes the first time around can be accomplished in 10, 5 or 3 minutes as you learn the maps.

The problem is getting there in the first place, I have waaay too many interruptions. A suspend mode would be killer

Ravenfood
Nov 4, 2011
I usually hate not being able to save whenever I want, but it didn't bother me in Deathloop at all. In practice I was never in an area for longer than 10 minutes most of the time, so I got checkpointed fairly regularly anyway, especially the further I got into a game. It also helped that I started generally trying to be discrete and do one task at a time in an area (generally) instead of running through multiples so it worked out. Also if you do have some progress you want to save like a weapon or trinket or something you can book it to the exit and save.

Basically, it auto-saves every time you start or end a phase of day, or when you fully die. At worst you're repeating a single phase of day, which isn't generally a long block of time.

Ugly In The Morning
Jul 1, 2010
Pillbug

Ravenfood posted:

I usually hate not being able to save whenever I want, but it didn't bother me in Deathloop at all. In practice I was never in an area for longer than 10 minutes most of the time, so I got checkpointed fairly regularly anyway, especially the further I got into a game. It also helped that I started generally trying to be discrete and do one task at a time in an area (generally) instead of running through multiples so it worked out. Also if you do have some progress you want to save like a weapon or trinket or something you can book it to the exit and save.

Basically, it auto-saves every time you start or end a phase of day, or when you fully die. At worst you're repeating a single phase of day, which isn't generally a long block of time.

It seems like something that works fine after the railroaded parts but the first day just lost me because I never had time to power through.

Also it didn’t have the same feeling of exploration in a way that’s hard to define

Serephina
Nov 8, 2005

恐竜戦隊
ジュウレンジャー

The problem is getting there in the first place, I have waaay too many interruptions. A suspend mode would be killer

Technical solution to a gameplay problem: Just pause the game (or suspend the game's thread in task manager), and sleep/hibernate the desktop instead of shutting down?

KillHour
Oct 28, 2007

Game can only be paused in offline mode.

Just Chamber
Feb 10, 2014

WE MUST RETURN TO THE DANCE! THE NIGHT IS OURS!

re: survival options in Prey, I just finished a hard difficulty playthrough with all of them on and honestly don't bother, it just detracts from the game imo, especially if you get the drat bleeding status which makes you lose health if you sprint or jump and if you don't have the kit to patch that up you're screwed unless you can crawl to a likely far away med droid. I somehow didn't find the plans to fabricate one of the kits so it was a real annoying thing where if I did get that status I'd have to reload the last save, plus it's never fun having your weapons just break in a cool combat encounter. So yea they add nothing of value disable them and enjoy the other wise fantastic game.

Serephina
Nov 8, 2005

恐竜戦隊
ジュウレンジャー
I mean, I disagree and wish they where rolled more thoroughly into the core loop, but I enjoyed the odd bone break and horrifying sounds it made before patching it up with a thing I always kept on me. The weapon degradation just feels natural to me, but SS2 may have broken my brain in that regard.

Pookah
Aug 21, 2008

🪶Caw🪶

I first posted in this thread nearly a year ago about how I'd gotten back into games after about a 10 year hiatus.
Prey was one of the first games I played and it was so amazing (with some issues), that I went from being a very very occasional console game-player, to setting up a ps3/360 in my beeroom, to finally getting getting my own dang ps4 (90% paid for with old game trade-ins, which was awesome) and a load of great games for Christmas.

drat, but do I love games again :)

Imagine how amazed I was to discover that there are loving MODS in PS4 Skyrim????
Mods, in a console game?!?!?!?!

Plan R
Oct 5, 2021

For Romeo
Durability is meaningless. I forget all the time to repair my weapons until it dawns on me. As far as I can tell it does not affect damage because "shotgun-shotgun-shotgun-dead" Is still viable at 25% or 95%.

Bogart
Apr 12, 2010

by VideoGames
This is silly, but I just watched an episode of Somebody Feed Phil where he's in Singapore, and there's a bit at the end where he goes to an "indoor jungle" that feels like it very directly inspired Talos' Arboreum.

Apr 23, 2002
I will not be pushed, filed, stamped, indexed, briefed, debriefed or numbered. Wait...

Thundercracker posted:

Both games feel like they were independently designed around the same whiteboard problems with previous immersive sims.

"We build levels and encounters that are meant to be replayed, but most players only play through games once if that." (Make repeating levels a core mechanic)

"We build tools and abilities to give players many different ways to approach situations, but most players choose a limited set of options and ignore others."

"We've got half our weapons and abilities dedicated to murdering the enemy messily, but a large number of players pathologically refuse to allow kills."

Probably a couple more I can't think of

Serephina
Nov 8, 2005

恐竜戦隊
ジュウレンジャー

255 posted:

Both games feel like they were independently designed around the same whiteboard problems with previous immersive sims.

"We build levels and encounters that are meant to be replayed, but most players only play through games once if that." (Make repeating levels a core mechanic)

"We build tools and abilities to give players many different ways to approach situations, but most players choose a limited set of options and ignore others."

"We've got half our weapons and abilities dedicated to murdering the enemy messily, but a large number of players pathologically refuse to allow kills."

Probably a couple more I can't think of

That's not really a 04511 problem, it's more like Arkane's personal spin on it which nobody really seemed to like. System Shock was all about using every murder tool you got, and the OG Deus Ex was pretty agnostic about body count. There's like one or two conversation triggers early on but for the most part your choice to kill the dobermans is entirely on you. Dishonored, Prey, and the new DX games very much have a rolled up newspaper for rapping you over the head and yelling 'bad dog!' every time you pull the trigger, I'd agree.

1(I refuse to use the term Immersive sim, it's dumb)

Rev. Melchisedech Howler
Sep 5, 2006

You know. Leather.
Prey doesn't tell you off for killing enemies. Unless you mean the survivors in which case it kind of should.

Serephina
Nov 8, 2005

恐竜戦隊
ジュウレンジャー

Rev. Melchisedech Howler posted:

Prey doesn't tell you off for killing enemies. Unless you mean the survivors in which case it kind of should.

True, sorry. It's a lot less loud about than Dishonored (which was terribly heavy handed), but there's still several cheevos for never hurting humans, getting the most empathetic ending possible, etc. That and the (admittedly very minor) discouragement for using typhon powers is an explicit push to do x but not y, which players will pick up on and follow suit. It's one thing to use a carrot and stick when it comes to gameplay mechanics like sneaking vs loud, but when there's large signposts saying that taking left-handed doors will be held against you, it's no surprise that most players will never see what was behind that left door.

Serephina fucked around with this message at 12:51 on Jan 2, 2022

Hannibal Rex
Feb 13, 2010
The thing I don't get about the Dishonored morality complaints, it's absolutely the same storytelling device that Bioware RPGs (or Bioshocks) use, except that it evolves organically instead of being tied to a series of Kick Puppy/Save Puppy decision points. Did people complain about having to be evil to use force lightning?

I will accept that the writing wasn't good enough to maybe validate both choices, but if anything, the, much later written, rainbows-and-unicorns good ending is the one that feels out of place, not the "bad" one.

Having a Death Wish/Taken/Man on Fire plot that doesn't let you have both the brutal vigilante power fantasy, while also letting you claim the moral high ground at the same time is precisely what I appreciate about Dishonored.

Megazver
Jan 13, 2006
Making story choices is the core gameplay in Bioware RPGs.

The Bioware RPG equivalent of getting shat upon by the game if you start using all the Murder Toys in Dishonored would be the Bioware RPG making GBS threads on you if you ever try to do any sidequests instead of speedrunning the main plot.

Shrimp or Shrimps
Feb 14, 2012

I am going to regret killing all these named phantom things right?

Also I don't think I can actually turn off survival options now that I've started, so guess I'm stuck with them. So far it's not been too much trouble, but I'm only just at the hardware labs.

Hannibal Rex
Feb 13, 2010

Megazver posted:

Making story choices is the core gameplay in Bioware RPGs.

The Bioware RPG equivalent of getting shat upon by the game if you start using all the Murder Toys in Dishonored would be the Bioware RPG making GBS threads on you if you ever try to do any sidequests instead of speedrunning the main plot.

So... Mass Effect 2? Dishonored's in good company, then.

And you'll have to provide some detail what a game "making GBS threads on you" is supposed to mean, exactly. I don't see how anyone who's played both versions of Dishonored's final mission could feel that the high chaos finale is somehow less satisfying than the low chaos one.

Ugly In The Morning
Jul 1, 2010
Pillbug

Serephina posted:

That's not really a 04511 problem, it's more like Arkane's personal spin on it which nobody really seemed to like. System Shock was all about using every murder tool you got, and the OG Deus Ex was pretty agnostic about body count. There's like one or two conversation triggers early on but for the most part your choice to kill the dobermans is entirely on you. Dishonored, Prey, and the new DX games very much have a rolled up newspaper for rapping you over the head and yelling 'bad dog!' every time you pull the trigger, I'd agree.

1(I refuse to use the term Immersive sim, it's dumb)

You can absolutely kill the poo poo out of a ton of guards in low chaos dishonored, people just got waaaay too shy about it. It’s something like 25 percent of all NPCs for high chaos.

Less Fat Luke
May 23, 2003

Exciting Lemon

Shrimp or Shrimps posted:

I am going to regret killing all these named phantom things right?
Nope. There's an achievement for saving every human that you might wanna do in a future playthrough though.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Serephina
Nov 8, 2005

恐竜戦隊
ジュウレンジャー
Yea, but do you think people keep track of that? Going loud attracts all guards in a wide radius so you can end up depopulating certain stages if that's all who they have, and that's assuming you kill nothing but nameless NPCs and spare all the coup members who really really deserved it.

And that's the thing, right? Even if it's technically understated, players will have still heard about it and play around it, perverse incentives and all that. Hence the comparison to earlier titles; it's totally on the player if they wish to kill Lebedev, Navarre*, or Gunther etc. You only get a few comments by later characters; we'd have a lot of pissy posts if you couldn't get an ending if you failed to save Paul, etc. Likewise, SHODAN has a throwaway line about installing so many cybermods it looks like you're trying to emulate her machine perfection, but there isn't a huge flashing meter across your upgrade screen labelled "Remaining humanity", why would you gently caress with players like that?

So when new players hear "you can get a good or bad ending depending on how many people you kill", of course they're gonna loving be paranoid about lethality.

I know I'm writing a lot of words about this so I'll stop posting, sigh.