Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Drunk in Space
Dec 1, 2009
Been playing Zomboid and enjoying it a lot (it feels like a more accessible version of CDDA), but I cannot for the life of me use guns accurately. I'm missing at point blank range even with the shotgun. Is there some trick to aiming I'm not getting or is it just totally dependent on RNG and character skill?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

HopperUK
Apr 29, 2007

Why would an ambulance be leaving the hospital?

Kvlt! posted:

Can anyone reccomend some good youtube Unreal World tutorials or good lps? I'm loving the game but I feel like I'd have more fun if I learned some more and saw how other people play

Nookrium played it on stream faaairly recently and the vod is on his channel I think. I found it quite watchable once I got used to how fast he talks.

Flesh Forge
Jan 31, 2011

LET ME TELL YOU ABOUT MY DOG

Drunk in Space posted:

Been playing Zomboid and enjoying it a lot (it feels like a more accessible version of CDDA), but I cannot for the life of me use guns accurately. I'm missing at point blank range even with the shotgun. Is there some trick to aiming I'm not getting or is it just totally dependent on RNG and character skill?

guns essentially don't work when you're panicked, so either play the Veteran (starts with the Fearless trait or whatever it's called) or take the Fearless trait, or take beta blockers to suppress fear. then they only mostly don't work, until you git gud, use a shotgun for a while on big crowds of zombies to make sure you hit something and you'll get some skill.

power crystals
Jun 6, 2007

Who wants a belly rub??

Prop Wash posted:

Way too late advice but it turns out killing the shark isn’t all that difficult. We started off terrified of the shark, moved into using bait mid game, and then end game whenever it showed up a few of us jumped into the water to kill it for food. The easiest method I found is use a bow and arrows. Go underwater, wait for it to lunge, fire the bow when it gets reasonably close, then immediately dodge left or right. It’ll pass by you and line up for another lunge. but yes in general it’s also important to add an extra tile of Raft past the important components so the shark doesn’t try to get cute with them.

Azhais posted:

If you spear the shark just before it bites you you don't take damage either. Takes a little practice but you can just duel them underwater easily after you get the timing down

Oh yeah we killed the shark a bunch of times by then, but it was like, it doesn't stay dead that long and when you have to cover an arbitrarily large portion of the ocean to rebuild an expensive component (because we were stationary so it's not like we had stuff washing up at the raft), well, that just seemed completely not worth it. IMO the shark just shouldn't be able to attack the raft while you're doing plot stuff.

Kvlt!
May 19, 2012

HopperUK posted:

Nookrium played it on stream faaairly recently and the vod is on his channel I think. I found it quite watchable once I got used to how fast he talks.

Exactly what I was looking for, thank you!

Harminoff
Oct 24, 2005

👽

Kvlt! posted:

Can anyone reccomend some good youtube Unreal World tutorials or good lps? I'm loving the game but I feel like I'd have more fun if I learned some more and saw how other people play

Here ya go
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_ij7-K3_hng

Anyone playing Mon Bazou Seems to be My Summer Car but less tedious?
https://store.steampowered.com/app/1520370/Mon_Bazou/

OoohU
Oct 26, 2013

Bitches ain't shit but genejacks & synths

Drunk in Space posted:

In the options there's a thing to enable a colored outline that'll display what you're aiming at it's off by default (very dumb) so you should turn it on and that'll probably help you a ton.

HelloSailorSign
Jan 27, 2011

Drunk in Space posted:

When using a gun, you have to right click aim it and then mouse pointer over your target. With that outline enabled, you'll see it as red - that means low chance of hit. As you hold right click and keep the outline on your target, your character aims, and the outline changes from red to yellow to green. When green, that's the highest chance of hit.

If when you mouse pointer over and you don't see an outline, it means for whatever reason you cannot hit the target at all.

Something like a shotgun in a group will also spray and hit things nearby that aren't green, and high powered rifles can punch through 2 zombies.

OgNar
Oct 26, 2002

They tapdance not, neither do they fart
I die so quickly in PZ that if a I do find a gun, I leave it because it'll just make me die quicker.

Flesh Forge
Jan 31, 2011

that's what they're used for though, dramatic suicide tool!

FuzzySlippers
Feb 6, 2009

The experienced Zomboid player I know recommended we go with the Arsenal Gunfighter Mod to make guns usable. I'm not entirely sure what it does but it adds more guns and he said makes them worth using. I think it added a little indicator on your person of how accurate you are currently so especially at low skill levels you know how long to stop before you can shoot with any accuracy along with some other stuff.

buglord
Jul 31, 2010

Cheating at a raffle? I sentence you to 1 year in jail! No! Two years! Three! Four! Five years! Ah! Ah! Ah! Ah!

Buglord
Are there any Zomboid PVE servers anyone can recommend? I mostly like playing alone, but not so alone that I don't see another living soul. Its neat to be invited to a base from time to time, or get the odd visitor.

e: Alternatively, would be interested in trying out A20 7D2D servers which are goon run or at least run by sensible pubbies

buglord fucked around with this message at 03:40 on Jan 1, 2022

OgNar
Oct 26, 2002

buglord posted:

Are there any Zomboid PVE servers anyone can recommend? I mostly like playing alone, but not so alone that I don't see another living soul. Its neat to be invited to a base from time to time, or get the odd visitor.

e: Alternatively, would be interested in trying out A20 7D2D servers which are goon run or at least run by sensible pubbies

I dont know of any PVE Zomboid.
But there is a server talked about in the 7d2d thread.
Just ask there.
https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3597545

HelloSailorSign
Jan 27, 2011

I'm trying to understand what the Arsenal mod does other than be mod bloat akin to Combat Extended in Rimworld, as I see someone who wants ultra gun specific poo poo who doesn't like that the game simplifies firearms and ammo. The thing that looks like it makes firearms more usable is the addition of suppressors to decrease sound level and the ability to change how zombies react to gun shot sounds in particular, but you could also focus on the M36 and M9 revolver/pistol as they've got the lowest sound radius of the firearms. Don't get me wrong, the alternate ammo and grenade launcher stuff looks real neat and the overall mod looks well done, but it doesn't feel like Zomboid, it feels more like 7 Days to Die. The former is a constant struggle against an enemy who is always better and more than you while trying to eke out survival, the latter is a running gun shoot 'em up. They're both great games and I greatly enjoy them both, but they fulfill different game desires.

Firearms play specific roles in Zomboid in my (obviously wrong) opinion - the quiet handguns are for clearing areas where you don't want to be heard but need a gun (rare). The rifles and louder handguns are the general go-to damage dealers when defending a base (because if you got a base, you should be clearing the outside regularly in a zombie scenario so added noise isn't a bad thing). The shotguns are the, "gently caress all y'all" guns you bust out on big horde days and there's going to be loads of noise anyway.

FuzzySlippers
Feb 6, 2009

I dislike CE but like Arsenal :shrug: In RimWorld there's already a billion systems to contend with that provide a variety of solutions to problems. When we started pushing into Louisville there were way way too many zombies to sneak so it felt like we needed more substantial gunplay than was in vanilla. The biggest thing it adds is not more guns but the aiming indicator

LASER BEAM DREAM
Nov 3, 2005

Oh, what? So now I suppose you're just going to sit there and pout?
Is there a decent intro write-up or video for Project Zomboid? I read all the tips earlier in the thread, but I can't seem to get past the first day. As soon as I venture out I attract one Zed-word and end up either eaten, or surrounded in a building, and then eaten.

HelloSailorSign
Jan 27, 2011

The best thing I did was go into the Custom Sandbox start and change the starting zombie numbers so I could get in to a spot where I could learn things rather than simply panicking constantly.

Things I tell new players:
- Sneak everywhere. You should very rarely be regular walking or worse, running.
- Zombies function on noise and sight lines, if you have a group on you and you can still be running, find a couple houses or trees to break line of sight then change direction.
- Your boot is a great weapon when you're dealing with solo zombies. Push them down with spacebar (or left click if you have no weapon), go to their head, and spacebar/left click until dead.

A good starting profession is burglar for their sneak and nimble bonuses.

GlyphGryph
Jun 23, 2013

Down came the glitches and burned us in ditches and we slept after eating our dead.
Counterpoint: Run everywhere.

Just learn how to push and murder. Or kill them as they come through windows until you cant then run upstairs and go down your cloth rope.

Also learn to love cloth ropes to get into and out of buildings because zombies can't climb.

There's a good youtube zomboid tutorial series by someone who also plays ss13 but I can't recall her name right now

Snapshot
Oct 22, 2004

damnit Matt get in the boat
The thing that helped me out most when starting a character on a higher than normal spawn rate server was to spec for pure combat right at the start. Prioritize high strength and fitness, since you will need to fight until you get a handle on the mechanics. Find some sort of weapon, and be ready to run if you’re getting attacked. Try to take them on 1:1, 1:2 if you absolutely need to. 1:3 or more without proper gear and proper positioning is asking to get bitten; run away, break line of sight to them, then get quiet.

a7m2
Jul 9, 2012

When you get spotted, just walk away, don't run. You should almost never be running unless you're close to a door or fence and want a little time to climb it / close the door behind you. You won't get caught walking unless your character is exceptionally slow.

LASER BEAM DREAM
Nov 3, 2005

Oh, what? So now I suppose you're just going to sit there and pout?
Thanks everyone! I’ve been playing on “Survivor” for all my runs, since people on Steam seem to recommend that or Apocalypse.

If the concept weren’t so compelling I would have dropped it already. I usually try to play games “as intended”, but this one may be the exception.

slashtilde
Oct 10, 2019
Another strat with zomboid if you’re dealing with a ton of zombies is to herd them away from an area you are working in.

Barring sprinter zombies (if enabled) or injuries to your character, you walk faster than zombies do. So yell to lure a bunch to you (q by default) and then walk them away from an area. Then find some trees or buildings to loop around and break line of sight with them and double back.

Another incredibly strong weapon you can get early on is the spear. Forage for some branches and chipped stones and you can make them. Low durability so you want to carry a couple to swap new ones in as they break. The nice thing though is they have a high chance to down a zed in one hit and they have range.

Nurse on YouTube has a series of videos on surviving your first week that are pretty good and show the zombie luring strat in action. She also has a bunch of 20-30 second videos that showcase features or tidbits with the game.

Rusty
Sep 28, 2001
Dinosaur Gum
I'm not good at zomboid either, I get too impatient and end up taking on too much. A couple things that might help, don't take on zombies if you don't have to, sneak everywhere, even in your house, press c to crouch and walk like that. Hug walls, it makes you stealthier, and the more you stealth the more it levels your stealth up. After you make some bandages and get a weapon you can start clearing the area, but I would avoid groups and try and break off one at a time. If you get two, you can knock one down and stand on him while you fight the other, the first one won't be able to get up.

slashtilde
Oct 10, 2019
The other thing with zomboid is it’s a survival sandbox. So while they have their presets, they also allow you to tweak pretty much every little thing about the sandbox to create your desired scenario.

One of the things that annoyed me with the presets was the loot table for a lot of basic things. Like we’re a day or two into the zombie apocalypse and literally everyone’s home is stripped clean of books, basic tools, and cookware but the fridge and pantry is still stocked? It’s a lot more fun to play when a building is actually stocked with stuff besides fruit and frozen bacon.

Away all Goats
Jul 5, 2005

Goose's rebellion

How playable is Valheim as a solo game?

It sounds right up my alley but everything looks geared toward multiple people working together.

As a sort of follow up question, what's the best tropical/island survival game right now between Green Hell, The Forest, Raft, Stranded Deep, and a bunch of others I can't remember? I loved The Long Dark's sandbox mode but as this point I know too much of the maps.

a7m2
Jul 9, 2012

What's a good place to start with UnReal World? Like a video or article that helps you learn the basics.

Gadzuko
Feb 14, 2005

Away all Goats posted:

It sounds right up my alley but everything looks geared toward multiple people working together.

As a sort of follow up question, what's the best tropical/island survival game right now between Green Hell, The Forest, Raft, Stranded Deep, and a bunch of others I can't remember? I loved The Long Dark's sandbox mode but as this point I know too much of the maps.

Valheim is pretty grindy and has long sailing sections which I found to be really boring after the initial shine of exploration wore off, but it's easily moddable to reduce or eliminate that grind to whatever your taste may be. All of the combat is completely doable alone. I enjoyed it a lot as a solo player.

OgNar
Oct 26, 2002

GlyphGryph posted:

Counterpoint: Run everywhere.

Just learn how to push and murder. Or kill them as they come through windows until you cant then run upstairs and go down your cloth rope.

Also learn to love cloth ropes to get into and out of buildings because zombies can't climb.

There's a good youtube zomboid tutorial series by someone who also plays ss13 but I can't recall her name right now

Nurse?

https://www.youtube.com/c/NurseVO/videos

Flesh Forge
Jan 31, 2011

Away all Goats posted:

It's fine, there isn't a huge amount of real content to interact with and once you've done the things it has in it there's not a lot of replay value. The things that are in it are very good for a while though, it's a solid 20-25 hour game. The building stuff aspect is OK, not amazing, although figuring out how to ventilate indoor fires so you get the warmth but let the smoke out is interesting. Looks great!

Gadzuko posted:

Valheim is pretty grindy and has long sailing sections which I found to be really boring after the initial shine of exploration wore off, but it's easily moddable to reduce or eliminate that grind to whatever your taste may be. All of the combat is completely doable alone. I enjoyed it a lot as a solo player.

yeah sailing is one of those things that looks super great and is very thematic but in practice is very boring.

A Wizard of Goatse
Dec 14, 2014

Away all Goats posted:

The Forest is really good but it's very much about the horror part of survival horror. You'll be fashioning stone clubs to beat rabbits with to make rabbit-head boyscout crafts and so on but the longer you spend loving around with poo poo like that the more the game is going to throw horrible monsters at you, and the main way to advance and survive is to go spelunking in cannibal murder holes.

Raft has a great concept and mechanically much of it's pretty close to TLD but it's mobile-game level shallow, which it tries to cover up by introducing critters who undo all your work every time you turn your back that you can never really get rid of. I'd rather be doing almost anything else.

Have you already played Subnautica? Cause that's directly up the "tropical island survival" alley

A Wizard of Goatse fucked around with this message at 21:17 on Jan 1, 2022

Vib Rib
Jul 23, 2007

God damn this shit is
fuckin' re-dic-a-liss

🍖🍖😛🍖🍖
Green Hell is definitely my recommendation for man VS nature play, especially if you turn some of the difficulties up. You can turn raiding tribesmen off completely and you'll still have a hard time setting up your tropical getaway. Even once you're fully settled, one bad day can wreck you up pretty badly. It nails the feeling pretty well I think.

SubponticatePoster
Aug 9, 2004

Every day takes figurin' out all over again how to fuckin' live.
Slippery Tilde

Away all Goats posted:

I've got about 100 hrs in as a solo player since I can't get any of my friends to play. It's a good, chill game. I will play the game "normally" as much as possible, but since I'm solo I don't mind using console to build a nice large base after I've hit iron as the grind for materials is a PITA by yourself. In the short term it's surprisingly relaxing to go chop down some trees to make some small bases in different biomes but after awhile the sheer amount of stuff required (especially iron which is tedious as hell to mine) has me using no cost so I can do something more elaborate.

Can't speak to the others, but Stranded Deep is pretty meh (it was free on PS+ awhile back). Ok, but nothing to write home about.

Kraftwerk
Aug 13, 2011
i do not have 10,000 bircoins, please stop asking

My biggest issue with a lot of survival games like grounded, forest, etc is if you build a elaborate base you have very little in the way of actual defences and mitigation when you aren’t looking or when you’re attacked. They throw enemies at you that can wreck your poo poo pretty trivially and you don’t have much recourse beyond fighting them off manually or using exploits like building a sky Fort on top of a pinhead.

Arven
Sep 23, 2007
7dtd is really the only survival game with good base building and defense, which makes sense given it's kind of the point of the whole game. Also, they did something in A20 that changed pathing and the zombies no longer path directly via the easiest route. They still favor the most direct path if they can see it, but they no longer magically know things like that digging straight down and over 3 tiles will break through your basement layer. You can still build bases to cheese the AI if you want to, but just building a box with good visibility on all sides surrounded by spikes seems to work just as well because the zombies will run straight into the spikes instead of going through any holes on the opposite side like they used to.

A Wizard of Goatse
Dec 14, 2014

Kraftwerk posted:

My biggest issue with a lot of survival games like grounded, forest, etc is if you build a elaborate base you have very little in the way of actual defences and mitigation when you aren’t looking or when you’re attacked. They throw enemies at you that can wreck your poo poo pretty trivially and you don’t have much recourse beyond fighting them off manually or using exploits like building a sky Fort on top of a pinhead.

tbf even games entirely about building medieval forts are incredibly loving bad at this

LonsomeSon
Nov 22, 2009

A fishperson in an intimidating hat!

I guess you can like do other stuff in the Forest but building a weird and huge log castle and then completely surrounding it with a dead zone of skull lamps so you can run around maniacally with 2-3 friends in the flickering gloom axing cannibals and flesh monsters all night is so good I’ve never done anything but that, and enough caves to get the Real Axe

NoNotTheMindProbe
Aug 9, 2010
pony porn was here
Someone's working on a Rimworld style survival game

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lI1AbCNPJT0

https://store.steampowered.com/app/747200/Keplerth/

HopperUK
Apr 29, 2007

Why would an ambulance be leaving the hospital?

a7m2 posted:

What's a good place to start with UnReal World? Like a video or article that helps you learn the basics.

If you go back a page or two somebody posted a good tutorial series!

Kevin Bacon
Sep 22, 2010

rimworld, huh? i dont see it

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

LonsomeSon
Nov 22, 2009

A fishperson in an intimidating hat!

a survival game where you run an organ farm, puppy mill, and drug den?!