Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

KittyEmpress
Dec 30, 2012

Jam Buddies

I think that if Cloak and Dagger reappear, it'll be as side characters in something with a lot of characters. The next Avengers or whatever. Somewhere where they'll be noticeable and cool for fans of the show, but not important enough to make people go 'guess I gotta go watch all that show'.

Maybe I'm wrong. At least one person I know has started watched daredevil out of the back to back return of Matt and Fisk in the MCU, because they want to know more about who these characters are.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pastamania
Mar 5, 2012

You cannot know.
The things I've seen.
The things I've done.
The things he made me do.
AOS is a bit of a weird case because the implications of things that happened in it are pretty major shifts in the MCU. You can include Jarvis in Endgame or Matt Murdock in Spiderman because nothing in Agent Carter or Daredevil changes the status quo for the films at all. If you want to use Quake, you're suddenly dealing with a resurrected robot Coulson and a fully restored Shield under Mack, which has all sorts of implications you have to deal with for the films.

Rarity
Oct 21, 2010

~*4 LIFE*~
AoS explicitly takes place in a parallel universe :v:

Some Pinko Commie
Jun 9, 2009

CNC! Easy as 1️⃣2️⃣3️⃣!
The parallel world where Quake gets powerful enough to destroy planet Earth and Space Elves enslave the handful of human survivors with T-1000 earworms.

Argue
Sep 29, 2005

I represent the Philippines
AoS also explicitly goes back to the prime timeline at the end.

gey muckle mowser
Aug 5, 2003

Do you know anything about...
witches?

Buglord
AoS season 4 (Ghost Rider/LMDs/Agents of Hydra) is up there with the best seasons of any Marvel show IMO, and most of the others are good with some great moments here and there (Quake launching Graviton into orbit is still one of my favorite moments in any superhero show). It would be neat to see some characters pop up in minor side roles (e.g. Fitz and Simmons as scientists in one or two scenes, no backstory necessary), but I doubt even that will happen and I'm fine with the show being its own separate thing.

gey muckle mowser fucked around with this message at 14:44 on Dec 31, 2021

Everyone
Sep 6, 2019

by sebmojo

tsob posted:

They kind of had to do that though, to be fair, because some of their larger, prime properties like Spiderman, the X-Men, the Fantastic Four and Hulk were not their toys to play with for the moment in terms of films. Still aren't really. They had to do films with characters the public weren't as familiar with like Iron-Man, Captain America, Thor etc. to do anything at all and even when those characters were known, they weren't generally as well regarded as a character like Batman or even Superman. I still remember the trepidation around doing a Captain America film, because it'd be so easy to make that patriotic, flag waving nonsense that isolated non-American audiences and even turned off a lot of Americans who didn't want a hero that was just about "America, gently caress yeah!".

Yeah, but having been put in that position Disney/Marvel clearly made the most of it. They proved 2nd/3rd/4th etc tier characters can. At this point why not bring back Cloak and Dagger on Disney+ with the original actors? I mean, who gave a gently caress about Chris Evans back in 2010 before Captain America: The First Avenger?

BrianWilly
Apr 24, 2007

There is no homosexual terrorist Johnny Silverhand
I should probably make it clear -- and in retrospect this might have caused some confusion I guess? -- that I absolutely do not expect them to make an entirely new Cloak and Dagger series, continuing off where we left off...like, no yeah, that would be very strange (though not unwelcome!). What I think is that we might see the characters again at some point, and that they'd just get the same actors from before back, in part because "Ew, relatively unknown actors?? Gross, get them away from our properties!" is not a sentiment I've ever gleaned from, like, any MCU projects at all, ever.

8one6
May 20, 2012

When in doubt, err on the side of Awesome!

Everyone posted:

... At this point why not bring back Cloak and Dagger on Disney+ with the original actors?...

Because the last few pages of this thread is the most I'v seen anyone talk about C&D anywhere ever (and I'm friends with someone who wrote a published C&D comic). Are you all working for the Bill Mantlo and  Ed Hannigan estates?

BrianWilly
Apr 24, 2007

Every time someone wonders why we're talking about Marvel TV show Cloak and Dagger in the Marvel TV show thread, two more posts about Marvel TV show Cloak and Dagger will be posted

Everyone
Sep 6, 2019

by sebmojo

8one6 posted:

Because the last few pages of this thread is the most I'v seen anyone talk about C&D anywhere ever (and I'm friends with someone who wrote a published C&D comic). Are you all working for the Bill Mantlo and  Ed Hannigan estates?

I haven't seen so much as a single episode of Cloak and Dagger. My comment was from the perspective that the power of Disney's MCU construction and marketing is such that if it were brought back by Disney, it would likely be a success.

ShadowHawk
Jun 25, 2000

CERTIFIED PRE OWNED TESLA OWNER

BrianWilly posted:

I should probably make it clear -- and in retrospect this might have caused some confusion I guess? -- that I absolutely do not expect them to make an entirely new Cloak and Dagger series, continuing off where we left off...like, no yeah, that would be very strange (though not unwelcome!). What I think is that we might see the characters again at some point, and that they'd just get the same actors from before back, in part because "Ew, relatively unknown actors?? Gross, get them away from our properties!" is not a sentiment I've ever gleaned from, like, any MCU projects at all, ever.
I think the bigger problem is that the actress that plays Dagger said she doesn't want to do it anymore.

ShadowHawk fucked around with this message at 03:48 on Jan 1, 2022

BrianWilly
Apr 24, 2007

That's a pretty misleading article; did you read it? The next line literally says "at least for a little while," and then in the interview she just says she generally likes to take breaks between projects. She's still starring in a TV show as of this year.

kazil
Jul 24, 2005

Derpmph trial star reporter!

If you really like the C&D characters I'm not sure you really want them in the MCU. So far all we have is a small cameo for Daredevil, Kingpin getting "killed" in the same episode he debuts in, and Quicksilver 2.0 passed off as a (hilarious) boner joke.

Rarity
Oct 21, 2010

~*4 LIFE*~
Daredevil and Kingpin are obvious seeds for Echo though?

Collapsing Farts
Jun 29, 2018

💀
Daredevil was a legit good show. They should bring it back…

stev
Jan 22, 2013

Please be excited.

Collapsing Farts posted:

I just want Foggy and Karen back. :(

cant cook creole bream
Aug 15, 2011
I think Fahrenheit is better for weather
I miss Hawkeye and want more Hawkeye. That show was good.

Rarity
Oct 21, 2010

~*4 LIFE*~

stev posted:

I believe Feige said that with Matt and Kingpin now in the MCU that the door's not closed Deborah Ann Woll and Elden Henson

Rarity
Oct 21, 2010

~*4 LIFE*~

cant cook creole bream posted:

I miss Hawkeye and want more Hawkeye. That show was good.

I have been very patient because I understand nobody wants to work over the holidays but if they don't announce the Hawkeye/Black Widow movie on Monday I will be kicking off

Everyone
Sep 6, 2019

by sebmojo

Rarity posted:

I have been very patient because I understand nobody wants to work over the holidays but if they don't announce the Hawkeye/Black Widow movie on Monday I will be kicking off

I don't know. I think I'd prefer Kate Hawkeye/Yelena Black Widow to stay in the D+ series format. The movies tend to bring in a bunch of sky beam nonsense while the show have been better on sheer characterization.

Rarity
Oct 21, 2010

~*4 LIFE*~
I'm totally fine with a TV show instead just announce SOMETHING godammit :argh:

Bust Rodd
Oct 21, 2008

by VideoGames
“We can’t give you a long running Black Widow/Hawkeye team up show because we too busy filming Oops, All Agatha!”

Hobo Clown
Oct 16, 2012

Here it is, Baby.
Your killer track.

Collapsing Farts posted:

Is it possible to watch & enjoy Daredevil only without going into the rest of Netflix Marvel? I saw the first season of DD, Jones & Cage way back but Iron Fist killed my interest in continuing so never saw Defenders or any second seasons. How lost will I be?

Open Source Idiom
Jan 4, 2013

Hobo Clown posted:

Is it possible to watch & enjoy Daredevil only without going into the rest of Netflix Marvel? I saw the first season of DD, Jones & Cage way back but Iron Fist killed my interest in continuing so never saw Defenders or any second seasons. How lost will I be?

Defenders has some pay off to Daredevil Season 2, but you could jump to the third without missing out on much if you choose to skip it.

Generally the other shows don't impact a whole lot.

Codependent Poster
Oct 20, 2003

Just give me eight episodes of Kate and Yelena hanging out doing whatever. Let the Young Avengers stuff be a movie.

howe_sam
Mar 7, 2013

Creepy little garbage eaters

Hobo Clown posted:

The end of Defenders directly informs the starting status quo of DD S3, but that's about it so reading a wiki will get you up to speed, tl;dr a building falls on Matt, he loses the red costume and everybody thinks he's dead

BrianWilly
Apr 24, 2007

Defenders also "wraps up" the hanging Elektra and Stick plot thread from Daredevil, if that's a thing that matters to you.

It also holds the distinction for being the first show Mephisto was definitely going to be in but sadly wasn't :patriot:

Rarity
Oct 21, 2010

~*4 LIFE*~
Mephisto will definitely be revealed as the big bad of Multiverse of Madness... You'll see...

iceyman
Jul 11, 2001

Marvel announcing a new spinoff, Waiting for Mephisto.

tsob
Sep 26, 2006

Chalalala~
Schrodinger's Villain: every villain may or may not be Mephisto, the only way to find out is to observe.

Sentinel Red
Nov 13, 2007
Style > Content.
gently caress Cloak & Dagger, they've always been poo poo. Make a Ruby Thursday series, Disney you cowards. I want amoral superscientist conwoman shenanigans.

Soonmot
Dec 19, 2002

Entrapta fucking loves robots

Grimey Drawer
She was also in the guardians video game!

Parkingtigers
Feb 23, 2008
TARGET CONSUMER
LOVES EVERY FUCKING GAME EVER MADE. EVER.

Hobo Clown posted:

You gotta go back and watch the rest of Daredevil. The back half of season 2 is considered weak, but the Punisher first half is incredible. (The Elektra stuff isn’t even terrible, just a drop from the usual standard.)

You don’t have to watch Defenders between S2 and S3, but it’s only 8 episodes and if you go in knowing the second half is weak and it botches the landing, the character interactions as they team up is great. Even Iron Fist is good in it because it’s just everyone taking turns to dunk on him.

S3 of Daredevil takes a couple of episodes to warm up, then it’s one of the best things Marvel ever did.

Hot takes on the rest of the stuff you missed:

Don’t watch S2-3 of Jessica Jones.
Do watch Punisher S1 but then stop as it’s a perfect ending they wrote past.
Don’t watch any Iron Fist if you haven’t started. (Do look up the Colleen Wing stuff on YouTube as she got some good fights in S2)
If you’ve seen Luke Cage S1 then do watch S2 as it got so much better as it went along that I’m now sad we won’t see a S3.

mutata
Mar 1, 2003

tsob posted:

Schrodinger's Villain: every villain may or may not be Mephisto, the only way to find out is to observe.

With Secret Invasion coming, this is basically the case with everyone now.

Jet Jaguar
Feb 12, 2006

Don't touch my bags if you please, Mr Customs Man.

stev posted:

Karen and Foggy were so much more interesting characters than Matt Murdock. Maybe they will show up in She-Hulk?

gey muckle mowser
Aug 5, 2003

Do you know anything about...
witches?

Buglord

Parkingtigers posted:

Don’t watch any Iron Fist if you haven’t started. (Do look up the Colleen Wing stuff on YouTube as she got some good fights in S2)

The Colleen/Misty stuff was too good for that show, they should get their own series.

Actually throw in Jessica Jones and White Tiger and make it an all-female Heroes for Hire show

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Would you like to play a game?

God, Defenders was such a disappointment

I still don't understand why they even bothered to get Sigourney Weaver just for her to fart around for like 3 episodes and then get killed off

DarklyDreaming
Apr 4, 2009

Fun scary

Soonmot posted:

She was also in the guardians video game!

For a brief but memorable five minute diversion that contributed nothing to the plot

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Everyone
Sep 6, 2019

by sebmojo

DarklyDreaming posted:

For a brief but memorable five minute diversion that contributed nothing to the plot

That doesn't seem like bad thing.