Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

LIVE AMMO COSPLAY
Feb 3, 2006

The real thing dragging it down is that Jerry Seinfeld thinks foreign accents are the funniest, not hacky at all poo poo.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Precambrian
Apr 30, 2008

The transphobic jokes in Always Sunny didn't age well, and those were also built on the joke being that the gang are transphobic and that transphobia's unambiguously bad. No jokes at the expense of the character, it's always about Mac and the rest being bad people. But it's still an episode where you get to hear everyone say "the tranny" about a hundred times, and it really drags the episodes down. It was the sort of humor that the writers could use in 2010 without much outcry from their audience, but I don't think the writers would write jokes like that today.

Just because the joke is "they're bad people" doesn't mean there's shifting levels of what an audience would consider funny-bad instead of just unpleasant.

Improbable Lobster
Jan 6, 2012

"From each according to his ability" said Ares. It sounded like a quotation.
Buglord

ReidRansom posted:

Close Enough owns. I watch it on HBO Max, but I'm pretty sure TBS is responsible for it.

And re: McFarlane, I'll gladly defend The Orville as watchable, from what I recall. Not spectacular, but surprisingly sincere and decent.

The Orville is just as bad as his other stuff except it's star trek fanfic instead of the flintstones.

Also it features more of his extremely poorly conceived LGBTQ storylines that are incredible ignorant

Improbable Lobster
Jan 6, 2012

"From each according to his ability" said Ares. It sounded like a quotation.
Buglord

LIVE AMMO COSPLAY posted:

The real thing dragging it down is that Jerry Seinfeld thinks foreign accents are the funniest, not hacky at all poo poo.

You read any behind the scenes stuff about the accent comedy episodes and it gets even grosser.

Ambitious Spider
Feb 13, 2012

Lipstick Apathy

AceOfFlames posted:

The final scene with Jerry's stand up act confirming that yes, he gets raped in jail isn't though.

Seriously, i know they are lovely but having that happen to them is just ghoulish. Maybe have them go through community service, not get raped in the prison system.

I think you're thinking of the snl sketch he did a couple years later. The show ends with the four in jail, and jerry and george having the same conversation about buttons that the first episode opened with.

EDIT:I was wrong, that was from the show. Weird

Ambitious Spider has a new favorite as of 00:28 on Jan 2, 2022

AceOfFlames
Oct 9, 2012

Ambitious Spider posted:

I think you're thinking of the snl sketch he did a couple years later. The show ends with the four in jail, and jerry and george having the same conversation about buttons that the first episode opened with

No, I'm talking about the bit that played during the credits:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zo2hXduaWq8

Ambitious Spider
Feb 13, 2012

Lipstick Apathy

AceOfFlames posted:

No, I'm talking about the bit that played during the credits:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zo2hXduaWq8

Yea, I corrected myself. Didn't remember that at all. The Snl bit I'm thinking of had Jerry in OZ

Alexander Hamilton
Dec 29, 2008

Calaveron posted:

All the episodes that take place in an airport or airplane in the 90s have aged terribly

I thought this was a slam on Wings for a second and was ready to fight

BrigadierSensible
Feb 16, 2012

I've got a pocket full of cheese🧀, and a garden full of trees🌴.

Alexander Hamilton posted:

I thought this was a slam on Wings for a second and was ready to fight

Has Thomas Hayden Church been milkshake duck-ed?

I hoe not, as I always find him to be a lovely charming addition to everything he is in.

Vitruvian Manic
Dec 5, 2021

by Fluffdaddy

The part of the jokes that has aged the worst are Mac sublimating his obvious homosexuality into being a relationship/obsessed with a trans woman. To me, that is unambiguously transphobic.

Mac getting run out of town because he punched a trans woman in the face and then said, "No, it is cool -- she's not a woman, he used to be a dude!" and the response from sane, non-Sunny characters was, "Wait, isn't that a hate crime? Let's get him!" gets a huge laugh out of me.

Obviously, ymmv. It wasn't done with a lot of sensitivity.

bobjr
Oct 16, 2012

Roose is loose.
🐓🐓🐓✊🪧

The episodes with Carmen after the first one do treat her a lot better, especially the marriage episode where it's mostly Mac being the bad guy and treated as such.

Arivia
Mar 17, 2011

Vitruvian Manic posted:

The part of the jokes that has aged the worst are Mac sublimating his obvious homosexuality into being a relationship/obsessed with a trans woman. To me, that is unambiguously transphobic.

I haven't watched the sunny episode in question but this is an actual relationship problem a good number of trans women have so my inclination (as someone who is trans) is that it's a good take on the minefield that is dating while trans instead of saying trans women are just gay dudes with tits or something

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

The Sunny guys have started a podcast where they're rewatching episodes in order. So they should eventually get to those episodes to talk about them from a modern perspective.

Vitruvian Manic
Dec 5, 2021

by Fluffdaddy

Arivia posted:

I haven't watched the sunny episode in question but this is an actual relationship problem a good number of trans women have so my inclination (as someone who is trans) is that it's a good take on the minefield that is dating while trans instead of saying trans women are just gay dudes with tits or something

I think we are coming from the same place but drawing opposite conclusions. Especially since Mac, Charlie and Glenn are pretty open about having been pretty ignorant about trans issues when they made those episodes (much less the cam pilots with Baccarin-Cameron). Granted, "being pretty ignorant" for "LA theater people" about trans issues may suggest way more knowledge than I am giving them credit for. It just feels way more "South Park" than any of the other morally ambiguous Sunny jokes. Does that make sense?

rodbeard
Jul 21, 2005

Vitruvian Manic posted:

Mac getting run out of town because he punched a trans woman in the face and then said, "No, it is cool -- she's not a woman, he used to be a dude!" and the response from sane, non-Sunny characters was, "Wait, isn't that a hate crime? Let's get him!" gets a huge laugh out of me.

Obviously, ymmv. It wasn't done with a lot of sensitivity.

Carmen's storyline starts before any of the Mac is gay stuff and they basically brought Carmen back in a later season specifically to treat trans issues with more respect than they initially did. Carmen is basically the only character to ever come in contact with the gang that has a happy ending. It's interesting how they manage to work in jokes about how problematic earlier episodes are into later episodes. There's a clip show that censors out "retarded" but doesn't censor "gently caress" when the original episode is the other way around. The most recent season makes jokes about previous episodes being removed from streaming over blackface and has jokes about the gang being angry at not getting praised for being less racist.

That Italian Guy
Jul 25, 2012

We need the equivalent of the shrimp = small pastry avatar, but for ambulances and their mysteries now.

mandatory lesbian posted:

Dirty Harry is fun to watch bc i think im supposed to think hes just doing "what needs to be done" but every action he takes is increasingly stupider and stupider to the point where you want him to lose
In Rush Hour, the two loose cannon cops endanger everyone, including the hostage (several times) so that her ludicrously wealthy father is not forced to pay the ransom he can totally afford to pay. And the feds trying to negotiate the release of the girl are portrayed as ineffectual and wrong throughout the whole movie, to the point of being secondary bad guys for the protagonists.

That Italian Guy has a new favorite as of 08:37 on Jan 2, 2022

pretty soft girl
Oct 1, 2004

my dead grandfather fights better than you

That Italian Guy posted:

In Rush Hour, the two loose cannon cops endanger everyone, including the hostage (several times) so that her ludicrously wealthy father is not forced to pay the ransom he can totally afford to pay. And the feds trying to negotiate the release of the girl are portrayed as ineffectual and wrong throughout the whole movie, to the point of being secondary bad guys for the protagonists.

I recently binged a bunch of 90s action movies and even by cowboy cop movie standards Chris Tucker's character is beyond moronic, but the movie also makes the weird decision that it seems to understand he is recklessly, dangerously incompetent and not in the "but he gets results" kind of way. It's really baffling, with the way the movie is written it feels like the only reason he saves the day is because they remembered he's on the poster 25 minutes before the end of the movie

Alexander Hamilton
Dec 29, 2008

BrigadierSensible posted:

Has Thomas Hayden Church been milkshake duck-ed?

I hoe not, as I always find him to be a lovely charming addition to everything he is in.

I assume he and Tony Shalhoub are cool and refuse to look it up to see if I’m wrong.

oldpainless
Oct 30, 2009

This 📆 post brought to you by RAID💥: SHADOW LEGENDS👥.
RAID💥: SHADOW LEGENDS 👥 - It's for your phone📲TM™ #ad📢

The old head in the sand technique. Wise.

hawowanlawow
Jul 27, 2009

I'll hear nothing against rush hour

poonchasta
Feb 22, 2007

FFFFAAAFFFFF FFFFFAAAAAAAFFFFF FFFFFFFFAAAAAAFFFFF FFFFFFFAAAAAAAFFFFFF FFFFFFFAAAAAAAFFFFF

pretty soft girl posted:

I recently binged a bunch of 90s action movies and even by cowboy cop movie standards Chris Tucker's character is beyond moronic, but the movie also makes the weird decision that it seems to understand he is recklessly, dangerously incompetent and not in the "but he gets results" kind of way. It's really baffling, with the way the movie is written it feels like the only reason he saves the day is because they remembered he's on the poster 25 minutes before the end of the movie

I just watched all 3 in a row on TBS yesterday and oh god this so much. James Carter is the true antagonist of the Rush Hour saga.

christmas boots
Oct 15, 2012

To these sing-alongs 🎤of siren 🧜🏻‍♀️songs
To oohs😮 to ahhs😱 to 👏big👏applause👏
With all of my 😡anger I scream🤬 and shout📢
🇺🇸America🦅, I love you 🥰but you're freaking 💦me 😳out
Biscuit Hider

Precambrian posted:

The transphobic jokes in Always Sunny didn't age well, and those were also built on the joke being that the gang are transphobic and that transphobia's unambiguously bad. No jokes at the expense of the character, it's always about Mac and the rest being bad people. But it's still an episode where you get to hear everyone say "the tranny" about a hundred times, and it really drags the episodes down. It was the sort of humor that the writers could use in 2010 without much outcry from their audience, but I don't think the writers would write jokes like that today.

Just because the joke is "they're bad people" doesn't mean there's shifting levels of what an audience would consider funny-bad instead of just unpleasant.

IIRC, Rob Mcelhenney--who plays Mac and wrote that episode--has said as much in interviews. Also I think that episode was from 2005, by the 2010 one I think everyone was using the right pronouns

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Proudly supporting vanilla legends 1994-2014

poonchasta posted:

I just watched all 3 in a row on TBS yesterday and oh god this so much. James Carter is the true antagonist of the Rush Hour saga.

It's interesting that Chris Tucker did no work other than Rush Hour movies for the eight year span of the series. But then he didn't have to - after Rush Hour he signed a contract for two sequels that made him the highest paid actor in Hollywood.

Rochallor
Apr 23, 2010

ふっっっっっっっっっっっっck
Looking it up, he's only been in two movies since then, too. He's essentially done five appearances in the past ten years. (Technically six, but one of those is archive footage of him hanging out with Jeffrey Epstein, so...) Hopefully he's just hanging out with his money, and that Epstein thing is just a fluke.

Toshimo
Aug 23, 2012

He's outta line...

But he's right!

Rochallor posted:

Looking it up, he's only been in two movies since then, too. He's essentially done five appearances in the past ten years. (Technically six, but one of those is archive footage of him hanging out with Jeffrey Epstein, so...) Hopefully he's just hanging out with his money, and that Epstein thing is just a fluke.

He went full born-again, refused to do the Friday sequels because he didn't want to promote weed, and got real weird.

Nottherealaborn
Nov 12, 2012

Toshimo posted:

He went full born-again, refused to do the Friday sequels because he didn't want to promote weed, and got real weird.

Just wait til people hear about his co-star’s stances, especially on weed.

Mescal
Jul 23, 2005

Arivia posted:

I have questions about this, but after typing them I realize this isn't the place.

muscles like this! posted:

The Sunny guys have started a podcast where they're rewatching episodes in order. So they should eventually get to those episodes to talk about them from a modern perspective.

Is the podcast good? I don't watch the show but I feel like it would probably be good to listen to

Kwyndig
Sep 23, 2006

Heeeeeey

I've listened to an episode or two and at least at start it's very unstructured, just the guys talking about their experiences with the the episodes and how the show got started. If you like stream of consciousness podcasting you'll enjoy it but if you're looking for a more structured take than three dudes bouncing off of each other you might not enjoy it.

Barry Foster
Dec 24, 2007

What is going wrong with that one (face is longer than it should be)

Mescal posted:

Is the podcast good? I don't watch the show but I feel like it would probably be good to listen to

If you don't watch the show I honestly can't see why it'd be enjoyable to you. It's just the three of them bullshitting and arguing, much like the show itself. If you have no personal investment in them as people or the show, er, as a show, then you probably won't get much out of it

mandatory lesbian
Dec 18, 2012
I really like how, for what ive listened to, they take like 3 seconds to say "this episode kinda sucks we get better later" and then the rest of the time its just talking about bullshit

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

While they don't get into a ton of specifics for each episode they spend a lot of season one talking about how the show came to be and their backgrounds as actors. By season two they do talk a little more about the episode they're ostensibly supposed to be discussing.

Except for one which is derailed by Glenn coming in hot complaining about people doing a bad job parking. Which consumes the episode and includes a break in recording to go measure the distance between Charlie's car and a column.

That Italian Guy
Jul 25, 2012

We need the equivalent of the shrimp = small pastry avatar, but for ambulances and their mysteries now.
If you like "listen on a rewatch" Podcast, Kumail Nanjiani has one called The X-Files Files that I really enjoyed. He's super passionate about the show, but the real kicker is the fact that he digged up all the early internet reactions to the show (on Geocities and other places like that); it's great both because of the speculations and because of the enormous influence 100 people on a message board have had on the show (like making the Cigarette Smoking Man or the Lone Gunmen recurring characters instead of one off). It's also been recorded before the recent season and it's apparently a good deal responsible for Nanjiani having a role in one of the episodes.

It didn't age well because it stops somewhere in the middle of the rewatch :v:

bobjr
Oct 16, 2012

Roose is loose.
🐓🐓🐓✊🪧

The funniest thing was them revealing Glenn got into a car accident when he was eating cereal in real life, which inspired the Sunny episode

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

Also the idea that Charlie couldn't read was something that Charlie Day just came up with on the spot when filming "The Gang Gives Back"

Barry Foster
Dec 24, 2007

What is going wrong with that one (face is longer than it should be)

muscles like this! posted:

Also the idea that Charlie couldn't read was something that Charlie Day just came up with on the spot when filming "The Gang Gives Back"

I love that

I also love that Glenn Howerton improvised this:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ROCKGuuviis

I AM GRANDO
Aug 20, 2006

That Italian Guy posted:

If you like "listen on a rewatch" Podcast, Kumail Nanjiani has one called The X-Files Files that I really enjoyed. He's super passionate about the show, but the real kicker is the fact that he digged up all the early internet reactions to the show (on Geocities and other places like that); it's great both because of the speculations and because of the enormous influence 100 people on a message board have had on the show (like making the Cigarette Smoking Man or the Lone Gunmen recurring characters instead of one off). It's also been recorded before the recent season and it's apparently a good deal responsible for Nanjiani having a role in one of the episodes.

It didn't age well because it stops somewhere in the middle of the rewatch :v:

It is great, but people should know going in that a few episodes feature rapist Devin Faraci as the guest, pre- him being exposed as a rapist.

hawowanlawow
Jul 27, 2009

Barry Foster posted:

I love that

I also love that Glenn Howerton improvised this:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ROCKGuuviis

that ep also has one of the greatest line deliveries of all time

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sZSCUgxiZtc

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

I AM GRANDO posted:

It is great, but people should know going in that a few episodes feature rapist Devin Faraci as the guest, pre- him being exposed as a rapist.

He keeps trying to weasel is way back into the spotlight.

Mooseontheloose
May 13, 2003
I have King of the Hill on in the background and I often realize how weird the 90s was with social workers. The social worker is portrayed a wimp and overreaching and almost too strictly adherent to the law?

And I just remember there were plenty of shows in the 90s that demonized social workers as over eager to punish families.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cowslips Warren
Oct 29, 2005

What use had they for tricks and cunning, living in the enemy's warren and paying his price?

Grimey Drawer

Mooseontheloose posted:

I have King of the Hill on in the background and I often realize how weird the 90s was with social workers. The social worker is portrayed a wimp and overreaching and almost too strictly adherent to the law?

And I just remember there were plenty of shows in the 90s that demonized social workers as over eager to punish families.

Can't forget he was also from California, a Liberal State who hates good hard working Christians!

According to mass media.

Was Lilo and Stitch the only real positive social worker movie?