Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Neo Rasa
Mar 8, 2007
Everyone should play DUKE games.

:dukedog:

ruddiger posted:

When they were planning their Trinity break out, I was kinda disappointed in how they showed them “convincing” one of the robots to help them was to just rip open its head and physically penetrate their brain. What could’ve been a cool visual in showing how matrix AIs gain sentience turned into a standard brain hijack scene.

I'm reminded of the final story in the Animatrix, it would have been cool to see a machine pulled into small human-made matrix where the humans have to more abstractly convince it that they're okay.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

unlimited shrimp
Aug 30, 2008

checkplease posted:

It’s her leaving a cult if anything. It’s already been pointed out, but we don’t see any loving family portrayed here like the wachowskis have expertly done with other films. The kids have maybe two lines and it’s only to pull her away, back into the control. And again, when she does decide to leave, her husband tries to murder her.
The movie could have depicted a loving family but didn't, sure. It could have depicted Trinity suffering the same as Neo, but didn't. What it did depict is a spouse and parent blowing up a family and marriage because their extremely privileged lifestyle was unsatisfying, and along came a weird guru who informed her she's one of the elect. There's nothing inspirational about that.

Shageletic
Jul 25, 2007

Noob Saibot posted:

Some anime guy on Twitter is hinting at Animatrix 2. Presumably on HBO MAX

https://twitter.com/lefrenchaccent/status/1476730400106065946?s=21

This is from his wiki

2020-2021 John Gaeta created a new development hub (“Gelato”) focused on incubating a 21st century approach to The Matrix within emerging new media formats. With Lana Wachowski, a story premise for Animatrix 2.0 was born based upon the Origin of the Matrix. Additionally, Gaeta produced a Unreal Engine 5 special project titled The Matrix Awakens, and had a cameo in The Matrix Resurrections.

Machai
Feb 21, 2013

Ichabod Tane posted:

SMG isn't ridiculous for suggesting that people shouldn't have to have encyclopedic knowledge of the Matrix lore in order to understand the fourth movie, 23 years after the previous film in the series.

What's it like living in 2027?

checkplease
Aug 17, 2006

Smellrose

unlimited shrimp posted:

The movie could have depicted a loving family but didn't, sure. It could have depicted Trinity suffering the same as Neo, but didn't. What it did depict is a spouse and parent blowing up a family and marriage because their extremely privileged lifestyle was unsatisfying, and along came a weird guru who informed her she's one of the elect. There's nothing inspirational about that.

The film mostly stays in a neo centric POV, so naturally we get more about his emotions. We do though get a long scene about her husband laughing at her true image of herself. This is her form of suffering.

But the choice is hers. They stress it many times that she has to choose to go with neo. They can’t just kidnap her. If she wants to no longer be married to her husband, she has that right.

Was neo leaving his job originally to go run off with guru Trinity/ Morpheus joining a cult? The only difference is he was living alone. His old lady neighbor that he helped walk across the street probably still misses him.

SuperMechagodzilla
Jun 9, 2007

NEWT REBORN

checkplease posted:

I think this would actually best though for Animatrix 2. I would rather have more weird side stories than trying to give background on small characters or fill in the history. Obviously, they could use it show what happened to Morpheus or the machine civil war, but I think stories on IO, the matrix video game, exiled programs and machines, or even Sati could be more interesting.

Well yeah; any story has the potential to be interesting.

But, like, in the example of Matrix Awakens, it turns out that it was - all along - the epilogue to the Matrix 4 movie. Neo and Trinity are back alive, freed, “red pilled”, etc., and working to “free minds”....

The ‘issue’ is that Matrix Awakens does a far better job of problematizing the Matrix (meta)narrative than the film does, and even trounces the film itself. The heroes are working directly for the marketeers at this point, griping to a black woman that life for them as creators is so much worse than being shot by cops. The content boils down to a culture-war joke about ‘shooty games’ versus ‘walking simulators’, while the canonically-last image of the whole series is an Unreal Engine 5 logo that eclipses the universe.

However, Matrix Awakens also doesn’t work without the film as context. So, as with previous ventures like Enter The Matrix, you have two failed/incomplete stories, and the promise that they’ll eventually ‘become good’ if you collect enough parts.

am0kgonzo
Jun 18, 2010
this piece of poo poo cost 190 million dollars

lmao

King Vidiot
Feb 17, 2007

You think you can take me at Satan's Hollow? Go 'head on!

unlimited shrimp posted:

I think we can just assume that Trinity had the same misery and doubts about her life that Neo did, unless you expected Lana to make a 5-hour long movie where we also get to see every single thing Trinity is going through alongside Neo.

checkplease
Aug 17, 2006

Smellrose

SuperMechagodzilla posted:

Well yeah; any story has the potential to be interesting.

But, like, in the example of Matrix Awakens, it turns out that it was - all along - the epilogue to the Matrix 4 movie. Neo and Trinity are back alive, freed, “red pilled”, etc., and working to “free minds”....

The ‘issue’ is that Matrix Awakens does a far better job of problematizing the Matrix (meta)narrative than the film does, and even trounces the film itself. The heroes are working directly for the marketeers at this point, griping to a black woman that life for them as creators is so much worse than being shot by cops. The content boils down to a culture-war joke about ‘shooty games’ versus ‘walking simulators’, while the canonically-last image of the whole series is an Unreal Engine 5 logo that eclipses the universe.

However, Matrix Awakens also doesn’t work without the film as context. So, as with previous ventures like Enter The Matrix, you have two failed/incomplete stories, and the promise that they’ll eventually ‘become good’ if you collect enough parts.

Haven’t seen/played awakens yet, so can’t judge on that. Sounds like I should check it out though.

But the idea of all these tied media is very prominent now. Tv shows are big on it with people looking to books or wiki for game of thrones. That had some of its own side games with side stories too. And now more shows. Then there is Star Wars with all of its new films and sequel tv shows, or the prequel cartoons. There was even the fortnite tie in to reveal a plot point.

And marvel of course has its big comic book history and now more tv shows.

So I guess more narrative seems like the model of choice now.

unlimited shrimp
Aug 30, 2008

King Vidiot posted:

I think we can just assume that Trinity had the same misery and doubts about her life that Neo did, unless you expected Lana to make a 5-hour long movie where we also get to see every single thing Trinity is going through alongside Neo.
Lana's a savvy enough director that she could have included some nod to that suffering without resorting to Rashomon storytelling. A line about resenting that her kid's Lego mishap is cutting short their chat, or some hostility on her part when Chad and the kids interrupt her initial meeting with Neo, or some flash of the same blue pills in her possession. Nothing like that; the closest we come is

checkplease posted:

We do though get a long scene about her husband laughing at her true image of herself. This is her form of suffering.
Which, real-world analogies aside, is the in-film equivalent of me telling my wife that I think Doom Guy looks like me and her laughing, rightfully so. It's borderline satire if her form of suffering, over which she abandons her family and wealth, is identifying too closely with a superhero.

I don't envy the worldview that interprets Trinity's choice, from her own POV, as a heroic one.

VROOM VROOM
Jun 8, 2005
It was very reasonable for Neo's boss to ask him to be on time for work IMO

ruddiger
Jun 3, 2004

VROOM VROOM posted:

I got bad news for you if you don’t think salaried workers are expected to take their work home with them and be on call 24/7.

checkplease
Aug 17, 2006

Smellrose

unlimited shrimp posted:

Lana's a savvy enough director that she could have included some nod to that suffering without resorting to Rashomon storytelling. A line about resenting that her kid's Lego mishap is cutting short their chat, or some hostility on her part when Chad and the kids interrupt her initial meeting with Neo, or some flash of the same blue pills in her possession. Nothing like that; the closest we come is

Which, real-world analogies aside, is the in-film equivalent of me telling my wife that I think Doom Guy looks like me and her laughing, rightfully so. It's borderline satire if her form of suffering, over which she abandons her family and wealth, is identifying too closely with a superhero.

I don't envy the worldview that interprets Trinity's choice, from her own POV, as a heroic one.

Yes its definitely only about being a super hero and not about being the person you want to be. Or living the life you want.

I also don't envy the worldview that assumes choosing to follow a dream must be a path to Q anon.

checkplease
Aug 17, 2006

Smellrose

VROOM VROOM posted:

Shame he went and joined Q anon in the first film. He probably could have just looked for a job with a more flexible schedule, but instead went right to taking down the government.

Mike N Eich
Jan 27, 2007

This might just be the year
Took a plane and they were doing playing the first Matrix. What a tight rear end loving movie that is, I don’t think there’s a single wasted scene in the movie. Pretty amazing, it does everything it needs to in as elegant a way as possible.

Dunno why all the sequels feel bloated in comparison

Noob Saibot
Jan 29, 2020

by Fluffdaddy

unlimited shrimp posted:

Speaking of, does this tie in to the MMO story like was theorized?

Yes unlike George “Indian giver” Lucas, the Wackowskis respect their universe’s shared canon

SuperMechagodzilla
Jun 9, 2007

NEWT REBORN

checkplease posted:

Haven’t seen/played awakens yet, so can’t judge on that. Sounds like I should check it out though.

There’s really not much to it, but it’s extremely remarkable for how it deflates the movie.

Basically, right after the hilarious Rage cover and the promise that they’ll change the world, Neo and Trinity end up just creating a loose remake of (or sequel to) Matrix Reloaded.

Neo turns to the camera and says, like, “I thought we were going to have full creative control???” Then the Unreal logo pops up.

clean ayers act
Aug 13, 2007

How do I shot puck!?

Mike N Eich posted:

Took a plane and they were doing playing the first Matrix. What a tight rear end loving movie that is, I don’t think there’s a single wasted scene in the movie. Pretty amazing, it does everything it needs to in as elegant a way as possible.

Dunno why all the sequels feel bloated in comparison

My GF and i did a full trilogy rewatch in prep for the new one. I forgot just how little fighting their actually is in the original. You basically have morpeheus vs neo, morpheus vs smith and neo vs smith, all of which are fairly short. Meanwhile every fight in reloaded drags on and on , and loses any tension because its not like Neo is at risk at any point

moths
Aug 25, 2004

I would also still appreciate some danger.

checkplease posted:

I also don't envy the worldview that assumes choosing to follow a dream must be a path to Q anon.

I kinda wonder if it was meant as a clumsy as gently caress trans analogy, where people in your "false life" are actually sinister and hateful actors whose only interest is keeping you miserable.

The entire world is depicted as an energy vampire which will gladly destroy itself in kamikaze attacks before it allow you to actualize your self.

In light of that alternative, the "follow your delusion" q-anon read is downright charitable.

It wasn't about following a dream; One can (and should!) pursue a dream without annihilating their identity and relationships. That's cult poo poo.

It's probably drawing on elements of columns A & B, which produced a frankly horrific and destructive depiction of both.

Hollywood has a history of showing "everybody thought this dream was crazy," stories but the payoff is achievable. Someone breaks a social barrier, or invents a new kind of car, or reaches troubled school kids. Laudable goals.

The "dream" here is transcending reality to do kung-fu in a robot war everyone says is a delusion. This isn't A League of Their Own, it's Pizza-gate.

unlimited shrimp
Aug 30, 2008

checkplease posted:

Yes its definitely only about being a super hero and not about being the person you want to be. Or living the life you want.

You can find wall stencils to that effect, no big budget movie required.

I skimmed the subtitles and Trinity is dissatisfied. In the garage scene she says she gave up searching for 'something real' a long time ago. However, she has a spouse, dependents, and a comfortable existence, and there's no indication that she's in crisis before Neo arrives. Contrast this to Neo's situation in the first movie: he's got nothing and no one except his hacker identity, a suspicion that there's more to life than what he can see, and his desire to find Morpheus. These are not equivalent situations. Neo and Morpheus aren't even offering the same 'redpill'.

breadshaped
Apr 1, 2010

Soiled Meat

clean ayers act posted:

My GF and i did a full trilogy rewatch in prep for the new one. I forgot just how little fighting their actually is in the original. You basically have morpeheus vs neo, morpheus vs smith and neo vs smith, all of which are fairly short. Meanwhile every fight in reloaded drags on and on , and loses any tension because its not like Neo is at risk at any point

The non-firearm fight scenes are also completely shite in resurrections

King Vidiot
Feb 17, 2007

You think you can take me at Satan's Hollow? Go 'head on!
I mean, I do have to speculate what exactly the "backstory" was that was given to Trinity, what artificial memories she had with her pretend family. I assume (we can only assume, with what little we're given) that she didn't really give birth to bot babies, and wasn't impregnated by her bot beau. Most of her past with them was fabricated, so what was it she believed she had between her and her husband? Or her and her kids?

No Mods No Masters
Oct 3, 2004

I will say this film gave me impetus to rewatch fateful findings. That's far more than most films achieve. So, in some sense, bravo

DaveKap
Feb 5, 2006

Pickle: Inspected.

Has there been any discussion about "The Kid" from The Animatrix/Revolutions who was awoken by throwing himself off a building? While watching the movie I expected his 75-year-old rear end to show up as the head Neologist but we got nothin.

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

ruddiger posted:

I got bad news for you if you don’t think salaried workers are expected to take their work home with them and be on call 24/7.

I'm certainly not

checkplease
Aug 17, 2006

Smellrose
Ok here are some quotes:
"In one life, you’re Thomas A. Anderson, program writer for a respectable software company, you have a social security number, you pay your taxes, and you help your landlady carry out her garbage. The other life is lived in computers, where you go by the hacker alias Neo and are guilty of virtually every computer crime we have a law for."

So Neo has a good job, an apartment, and a landlady he gets along with. Plus he has a whole separate hobby as a hacker. And he goes to raves.
What does he want? Well like Ariel in the little mermaid, he wants more.

Trinity in this film has a husband and two kids and likes to frequent a coffee shop. Her hobby seems to include Motorcycles (vs hacking and raving). She had given up on wanting more, until she meets Neo and is reminded of this dream.

In both circumstances, the characters are given a choice. Neither one is forced to run off.

What we seem to keep coming back to is the whole nuclear family. Neo as a single male runs off to join the revolution? Awesome, lets kung-fu. But if you have a kid and a husband, sorry gotta stay home. Even if that husband has an anger problem (Again he tries to kill her).

If you want, you can just think she that she still visits and takes care of this kids. Its just now Trinity is divorced, changed her name, got a new boyfriend, and has a busy career. She can hire a nanny too.

In any case, this is again consistent with all of the matrix movies. There's always been awakened and non-awakened. Trinity is not any different. Perhaps the end of the movie needed a PSA stating that "while this movie is pro resurrections, please don't go off to any insurrections."

ruddiger
Jun 3, 2004

I laughed when the robot kid was like ARE YOU TRYING TO BANG MY MOM

VROOM VROOM
Jun 8, 2005
like a splinter in my mind

unlimited shrimp posted:

I skimmed the subtitles and Trinity is dissatisfied. In the garage scene she says she gave up searching for 'something real' a long time ago. However, she has a spouse, dependents, and a comfortable existence,

No Mods No Masters
Oct 3, 2004

I don't feel any need to defend the dad, they at least did the cinematically minimum amount possible to have him give off a bad vibe. But the kids are the problem. If the husband is so bad, after all, doesn't that make abandoning the kids with him even worse?

I think they should have taken the kids with them, and neo just has two robot stepkids. I mean gently caress it, why not?

checkplease
Aug 17, 2006

Smellrose

DaveKap posted:

Has there been any discussion about "The Kid" from The Animatrix/Revolutions who was awoken by throwing himself off a building? While watching the movie I expected his 75-year-old rear end to show up as the head Neologist but we got nothin.

I assume no one really liked that kid so wasn’t brought back. I know this thread debates on some of the others, but these had their fans at least.

My guess is that like Morpheus he was so neo obsessed, that he probably died in Zion too.

VROOM VROOM
Jun 8, 2005

No Mods No Masters posted:

I don't feel any need to defend the dad, they at least did the cinematically minimum amount possible to have him give off a bad vibe. But the kids are the problem. If the husband is so bad, after all, doesn't that make abandoning the kids with him even worse?

I think they should have taken the kids with them, and neo just has two robot stepkids. I mean gently caress it, why not?

that's the first of the changes they make after they fly away

checkplease
Aug 17, 2006

Smellrose
They can give the kids the best nannies. Maybe Chad tries to mrs. Doubtfire them.

No Mods No Masters
Oct 3, 2004

Maybe they shot something that makes the main characters not be breenish sociopaths, but the catrix stinger took priority

lunar detritus
May 6, 2009

The kids always appear when Trinity seems to be thinking about exploring the world a bit beyond her socially approved domestic prison. Literally programmed to manipulate her into following the program but noo, they are children and therefore Trinity should subsume herself to them.

lunar detritus fucked around with this message at 00:23 on Jan 2, 2022

No Mods No Masters
Oct 3, 2004

lunar detritus posted:

The kids always appear when Trinity seems to be thinking about exploring the world a bit beyond her socially approved domestic prison. Literally programmed to manipulate her into following the program but noo, they are children and therefore Trinity should subsume herself to them.

Machines are just people OP. It's something the series was admirably clear about before this stupid movie. No one's obligated to be happy about the ones they end up with, but your responsibilities and relationships to other people (especially pretty helpless ones like children) are the things that keep you from being, well, a sociopath

VROOM VROOM
Jun 8, 2005
Seeing Resurrections Resurrect the original moral panic around The Matrix is cranking it way up in my book, currently at a solid 7.5/10

Haptical Sales Slut
Mar 15, 2010

Age 18 to 49

DaveKap posted:

He was the worst *character by far in 2 & 3 so thankfully no!

*the actor played it so annoyingly I couldn’t help but hate him. His origin story wasn’t bad, though.

Astrochicken
Aug 13, 2007

So you better go back to your bars, your temples
Your massage parlors!

moths posted:

A League of Their Own ... Pizza-gate.

Someone get warner bros on the phone

Problematic Pigeon
Feb 28, 2011

No Mods No Masters posted:

Machines are just people OP. It's something the series was admirably clear about before this stupid movie. No one's obligated to be happy about the ones they end up with, but your responsibilities and relationships to other people (especially pretty helpless ones like children) are the things that keep you from being, well, a sociopath

Pictured: a much, much less problematic movie than The Matrix Resurrections

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SuperMechagodzilla
Jun 9, 2007

NEWT REBORN

moths posted:

The "dream" here is transcending reality to do kung-fu in a robot war everyone says is a delusion. This isn't A League of Their Own, it's Pizza-gate.

I’m sympathetic to the mental illness interpretation but - unlike Matrix 1’s drugged-out cult poo poo - Matrix 4 doesn’t present anything like madness. After he goes off-meds, Neo ends up in some kind of garbage-tier YA sci-fi/fantasy deal. And - this is crucial - we’re frequently cutting away to perspectives that are nothing remotely like Tom’s POV.

That’s to say Matrix 4 is ideologically bad, but not particularly compelling.

Like, Q-Anon is fixated on the specter of Satanic Ritual Abuse, while Matrix 4’s protagonists are mildly vexed by a dumbassed toddler who doesn’t even appear onscreen. It’s more depressing than anything.