Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Woolwich Bagnet
Apr 27, 2003

Turns out maybe the secret to better gas mileage is not weighing 5000 lbs?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Elephanthead
Sep 11, 2008

Toilet Rascal

Koirhor posted:

Dealer basically laughed at me for trying to find a civic sport (nonturbo) hatch w/manual

:mad:

You can’t get a non turbo hatch that’s why only the sedan or coupe

The non turbo is the engine to get though

KozmoNaut
Apr 23, 2008

Happiness is a warm
Turbo Plasma Rifle

Soichiro Honda agrees with you :hai:

Kraftwerk
Aug 13, 2011
i do not have 10,000 bircoins, please stop asking

Elephanthead posted:

Why? Isn’t the 1.5T a really good engine? I’ve driven it and it’s a major improvement over the NA engine in the base models.

Kia Soul Enthusias
May 9, 2004

zoom-zoom
Toilet Rascal

Kraftwerk posted:

Why? Isn’t the 1.5T a really good engine? I’ve driven it and it’s a major improvement over the NA engine in the base models.

Oil dilution problems

FBS
Apr 27, 2015

The real fun of living wisely is that you get to be smug about it.

That's a few hundred pounds heavier than I expected tbh. Maybe the Maverick is bigger IRL than I think it is from photos.

YOLOsubmarine
Oct 19, 2004

When asked which Pokemon he evolved into, Kamara pauses.

"Motherfucking, what's that big dragon shit? That orange motherfucker. Charizard."

Qmass posted:

no you guys are right, tesla doesn't sell any cars off the back of their absurd 0-60s

Who are you “you guysing” here? The one guy that said that?

Zero One
Dec 30, 2004

HAIL TO THE VICTORS!

FBS posted:

That's a few hundred pounds heavier than I expected tbh. Maybe the Maverick is bigger IRL than I think it is from photos.

I saw one in person and it was much smaller than I expected.

Not sure about your estimate tho.

YOLOsubmarine
Oct 19, 2004

"Motherfucking, what's that big dragon shit? That orange motherfucker. Charizard."

Zero One posted:

I saw one in person and it was much smaller than I expected.

Not sure about your estimate tho.

It weighs only slightly more than a Toyota Camry so I think it’s pretty drat light by modern car standards given that it’s 200 inches long.

Wheeee
Mar 11, 2001

When a tree grows, it is soft and pliable. But when it's dry and hard, it dies.

Hardness and strength are death's companions. Flexibility and softness are the embodiment of life.

That which has become hard shall not triumph.

Qmass posted:

no you guys are right, tesla doesn't sell any cars off the back of their absurd 0-60s

teslas are gimmick cars sold to nerds and people looking for a fashion accessory, yes

nobody cares about the 0-60 time of their utility car as long as it's 'enough' and almost everything on the market these days is

MrYenko
Jun 18, 2012

#2 isn't ALWAYS bad...

Wheeee posted:

teslas are gimmick cars sold to nerds and people looking for a fashion accessory, yes

nobody cares about the 0-60 time of their utility car as long as it's 'enough' and almost everything on the market these days is

Beeep booop beep bop all car buying decisions are 100% rational and emotion never enters into the choice. Furthermore this is the reason that 99% of people drive beige Toyota Corollas and the remaining 1% drive silver base-model F-150s.

Wheeee
Mar 11, 2001

Hardness and strength are death's companions. Flexibility and softness are the embodiment of life.

you think RAV4s and F-150s being incredible utility vehicles has nothing to do with them being top selling vehicles?

nobody is a perfectly logical robot, but most normie people care about things like practicality, sitting high, looking cute/tough, and tech gimmicks more than lap times and poo poo

Rigged Death Trap
Feb 13, 2012

BEEP BEEP BEEP BEEP

All of these incidental factoids dont matter until they do. You might have a few non enthusiasts pick one over another over its acceleration while the ofher 10 dont care.

smooth jazz
May 13, 2010

Unironically my top criteria is no piano black plastic and an interior that doesn't squeak and rattle after a few years.

Neo_Crimson
Aug 15, 2011

"Is that your final dandy?"
Also 0-60 times are objective measures that are an easy thing to compare between models and that why publications include it.

dissss
Nov 10, 2007

I'm a terrible forums poster with terrible opinions.

Here's a cat fucking a squid.
Sure but there are plenty of other objective measures which are more useful. 80-120km/h and 100-0km/h come to mind.

Saukkis
May 16, 2003

Unless I'm on the inside curve pointing straight at oncoming traffic the high beams stay on and I laugh at your puny protest flashes.
I am Most Important Man. Most Important Man in the World.

dissss posted:

Sure but there are plenty of other objective measures which are more useful. 80-120km/h and 100-0km/h come to mind.

The 0-100 measurement is just so iconic and I have pretty good idea what kind of numbers are fast or normal. For decades I have read magazine reviews that include the 80-120 measurement, but if you ask me I have no idea what that number should, just can't remember any examples. That number is only useful for me in multiple car comparisons. The 100-0 measurement on the other hand has too little difference. Nowadays the cheapest crossover on the market, Dacia Sandero can stop in 39 meters, when it used to be that only something like Porsches could manage sub-40 meter distances. Today a 43 meters feels a bit bad braking performance.

heffray
Sep 18, 2010

dissss posted:

At least in American car magazine tests, 50-70mph is useless half the time, because it's a "top gear" test with a manual, and autos kick down into 2nd or 3rd. A 2014 (automatic only) Chevrolet SS does 50-70 in 3.1 seconds, but a 2015 manual version needs 9.6 seconds because it's starting at 1500rpm in 6th.

Saukkis
May 16, 2003

Unless I'm on the inside curve pointing straight at oncoming traffic the high beams stay on and I laugh at your puny protest flashes.
I am Most Important Man. Most Important Man in the World.

heffray posted:

At least in American car magazine tests, 50-70mph is useless half the time, because it's a "top gear" test with a manual, and autos kick down into 2nd or 3rd. A 2014 (automatic only) Chevrolet SS does 50-70 in 3.1 seconds, but a 2015 manual version needs 9.6 seconds because it's starting at 1500rpm in 6th.

In finnish mags that test is usually done in three different gears and in several speed ranges, like 60-90, 90-120 and 60-120. It seems stupid to skim on these tests since they seem so quick to do, 10 seconds per acceleration, brake, do another run. Could be done in a minute per car.

KakerMix
Apr 8, 2004

8.2 M.P.G.
:byetankie:
Here is a review: the car I bought is the best, the others I didn't aren't as good

no lube so what
Apr 11, 2021

KakerMix posted:

Here is a review: the car I bought is the best, the others I didn't aren't as good

Don’t steal my posts :(

YOLOsubmarine
Oct 19, 2004

heffray posted:

Nobody makes manual cars in the US anymore so that seems like a problem that is solving itself.

Kia Soul Enthusias
May 9, 2004

zoom-zoom
Toilet Rascal

KakerMix posted:

Same

big trivia FAIL
May 9, 2003

"Jorge wants to be hardcore,
but his mom won't let him"

was able to reserve a 2022 GR86 and it is officially 3 weeks away from delivery

Russian Bear
Dec 26, 2007

big trivia FAIL posted:

was able to reserve a 2022 GR86 and it is officially 3 weeks away from delivery

Nice! Is the dealer doing anything crummy or right at msrp.

Godzilla07
Oct 4, 2008

dissss posted:

I like the 5-60 MPH test that Car and Driver in the U.S. started doing. It is much more indicative of real-world response than the typical magazine 0-60 launch, which involves launch control, and generally beating your car like it owes you money.

McTinkerson
Jul 5, 2007

Dreaming of Shock Diamonds

Godzilla07 posted:

I like the 5-60 MPH test that Car and Driver in the U.S. started doing. It is much more indicative of real-world response than the typical magazine 0-60 launch, which involves launch control, and generally beating your car like it owes you money.

It also almost completely removes tires from the equation, which is a good thing since some manufacturers bend the rules a little that way as well.

big trivia FAIL
May 9, 2003

"Jorge wants to be hardcore,
but his mom won't let him"

Russian Bear posted:

Nice! Is the dealer doing anything crummy or right at msrp.

33 and change out the door tax included, so close enough

Kraftwerk
Aug 13, 2011

Charles posted:

Oil dilution problems

I thought they fixed this?

McTinkerson
Jul 5, 2007

Dreaming of Shock Diamonds

Kraftwerk posted:

I thought they fixed this?

Every single turbocharged direct injected engine will have this issue in areas that experience winter with temperatures below 0C. It's a function of cold start fuel enrichment and emissions regulations (trying to get the cat up to temperature as soon as possible).

Both the 3.5EB and EA888 have oil that reek of fuel past 5000km intervals.

bird with big dick
Oct 21, 2015

The NA Civic is unbearably slow so if that’s the engine to get the solution is get something other than a civic.

teh_Broseph
Oct 21, 2010

THE LAST METROID IS IN
CATTIVITY. THE GALAXY
IS AT PEACE...
Lipstick Apathy
Thought I had decided against doing the stage 1 tune on my GTI for longevity, but pretty sure I'm gonna go ahead later into or soon as the warranty is up cause it does feel less special knowing how close it'd be rolling from a red light if another random box on wheels actually floored it. Don't feel too bad though cause I'd like to track it sometime too and surely it'll be hella better for that over random other cars.

PS thanks for posting those fastest from the 80s vs slowest current C&D snippets that was good lol

PeterWeller
Apr 21, 2003

I told you that story so I could tell you this one.

Elephanthead posted:

That's changed with the new model and all North American civics being built in North America. Honda will now let you spec a hatch with the K20.

But the turbo is the better motor.

Charles posted:

Oil dilution problems

are an overblown concern.

PBCrunch
Jun 17, 2002

Lawrence Phillips Always #1 to Me

McTinkerson posted:

Every single turbocharged direct injected engine will have this issue in areas that experience winter with temperatures below 0C. It's a function of cold start fuel enrichment and emissions regulations (trying to get the cat up to temperature as soon as possible).

Both the 3.5EB and EA888 have oil that reek of fuel past 5000km intervals.

Can the oil dilution be corrected in the aftermarket with a less environmentally-friendly tune (arguably more environmentally friendly since it helps the engine/car last longer)?

Kraftwerk
Aug 13, 2011

Could be wrong but I think you don’t get as much oil dilution if you’re driving a long enough distance for the fuel to vaporize out of the oil and it’s only a big issue if you have numerous cold starts without a fully warm up cycle.

For example if you’re only driving a few km to the local store and back it’s probably worse than driving like 15km somewhere with a fully warmed up engine.

Either way if oil dilution is that serious there’s always the V6 Camry or Camry Hybrid. You get port and direct injection and deal with none of these issues.

Wheeee
Mar 11, 2001

Mercedes Benz once again leading the industry forward with bold new technology in the form of a plastic rear subframe

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oM9SVAPPl0U

PBCrunch
Jun 17, 2002

Lawrence Phillips Always #1 to Me

Wheeee posted:

Mercedes Benz once again leading the industry forward with bold new technology in the form of a plastic rear subframe

But is it at least a biodegradable plastic that will crumble into dust months after the end of the warranty period?

Bape Culture
Sep 13, 2006

I can’t even see why it’s there since the half that is steel is clearly doing all the heavy lifting? Any ideas?

Russian Bear
Dec 26, 2007

Wheeee posted:

As an aside, I'm super hyped for Sarah's youtube success. The project car videos she has are especially cool with the attention to detail.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Wheeee
Mar 11, 2001

Russian Bear posted:

As an aside, I'm super hyped for Sarah's youtube success. The project car videos she has are especially cool with the attention to detail.

yea she's a wonderful change from most youtubers and has some cool projects with actual mechanical skills