Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

poverty goat
Feb 15, 2004

After a few weeks of not seeing much of them unless the whole group of 20-30 was nearby Mr and Mrs crow have been coming around everday and coming when I whistle again

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dia de Pikachutos
Nov 8, 2012

Visited my Mum's place in Wollongong at Christmas and spotted some local birdlife.

This wagtail was very aggressively defending his territory from the local currawongs.

Said currawongs have recently told their kids that they have to fend for themselves, and they're finding it all a bit overwhelming.

And a bonus little black cormorant

????

my cat is norris
Mar 11, 2010

#onecallcat

I love wagtails.

Dia de Pikachutos
Nov 8, 2012

Yeah, they're always great to watch. Nice when they sit still for a few seconds to have their photo taken as well.

Tree Bucket
Apr 1, 2016

R.I.P.idura leucophrys
Good birds. I love their tiny angry eyebrows...

Enfys
Feb 17, 2013

The ocean is calling and I must go

Dia de Pikachutos posted:

This wagtail was very aggressively defending his territory from the local currawongs.

so fierce :black101:

cheetah7071
Oct 20, 2010

honk honk
College Slice

javelinas, roadrunners, and a bobcat

The Red Queen
Jan 20, 2007

You tricked me!

You said dis place was fun, but it ain't!
My dad used to live in Arizona during the summer and despite all the venomous critters out there the javelina were the only things anyone really seemed afraid of.

Well, them and the jumping cholla.

my cat is norris
Mar 11, 2010

#onecallcat

Wouldn't gently caress with any wild pig, but would definitely admire them from the safety of inside as they came visiting my feeders. They're such bristly, tough-looking things.

Roadrunners are constantly and delightfully sassy. Tiny little dinosaurs with attitude.

poverty goat
Feb 15, 2004

Raccoon?

Inspector Hound
Jul 14, 2003

No, that's poop

cheetah7071
Oct 20, 2010

honk honk
College Slice

the roadrunner is now sitting on my table. I love him. sorry for crap pic, I don't know photography or own anything better than a phone

my cat is norris
Mar 11, 2010

#onecallcat

I just used your very handsome roadrunner as a report post so we can have the thread title year changed to 2022.

Arsenic Lupin
Apr 12, 2012

This particularly rapid💨 unintelligible 😖patter💁 isn't generally heard🧏‍♂️, and if it is🤔, it doesn't matter💁.

You have the prettiest murderbirds.

Dia de Pikachutos
Nov 8, 2012

Ran into this small lace monitor while I was dropping some stuff off at a friend's place. (S)he was not pleased to see me.

Scarodactyl
Oct 22, 2015

I also saw a gigantic, feroceous monitor lizard

Well ok, he wasn't actually very big, or all that active given the cold temperatures, and definitely not a monitor. But we can't all live in AAA prime lizard-sighting regions :(
Second time I've seen a black anole in the cold, so I guess it really must be a color change for maximum heat absorbance.

Scarodactyl fucked around with this message at 10:12 on Jan 5, 2022

Dia de Pikachutos
Nov 8, 2012

Some parts of suburban Sydney havent been completely ruined by property developers... yet

Enfys
Feb 17, 2013

Ran into this small lace monitor while I was dropping some stuff off at a friend's place. (S)he was not pleased to see me.

That is the smugest looking lizard I've ever seen

cheetah7071
Oct 20, 2010

honk honk
College Slice

Felt comfy enough to jump up while I was sitting just a few feet away. Then another roadrunner came by and this one ran off and they tussled a bit, but I unfortunately couldn't get a picture

FBS
Apr 27, 2015

The real fun of living wisely is that you get to be smug about it.

Oh my god :kimchi:

Roadrunners are my all-time favorite critter, I'm glad I got to see one out and about before I moved up north.

(old pic)

Scarodactyl
Oct 22, 2015

It's gotten colder here. I have a box in front of my door, and who did I find sleeping in it today?

Poor guy seemed pretty cold and was barely moving, so I brought him in to warm up overnight.

I guess I'll give him some ground turkey tomorrow and send him on his way. Just checked him again and he'a turned greener which is probably a good sign.

CaptainSarcastic
Jul 6, 2013

I lived in Arizona for a couple years, and it took me a while to realize roadrunners can fly at all. I'd see them up in trees and be like, "what are you doing, you are a flightless bird, you shouldn't be in a tree."

Then one day while smoking at work I watched one loving with a good-size dog, getting the dog to chase it, and then at the last moment doing a jump and flying onto the roof of a house to taunt the dog. My appreciation of roadrunners increased even more that day.

Maybe since there basically aren't any crows in Arizona (or at least the majority of it) the roadrunners have taken over the niche of loving with other animals.

poverty goat
Feb 15, 2004

it's very cold now and I've been waking up to this

Sorbus
Apr 1, 2010

this here is a squirrel with snow on its little nose.

Dia de Pikachutos
Nov 8, 2012

One of my keen-eyed colleagues has discovered that a large fig tree near our office is the preferred daytime roost for a young Powerful Owl.

I don't think I made a good first impression.

Seemed to perk up a bit later in the day though.

Gunshow Poophole
Sep 14, 2008

OMBUDSMAN
POSTERS LOCAL 42069

Clapping Larry

I had to google this

lmao

super, lmao

Dia de Pikachutos
Nov 8, 2012

Yeah I should have been clearer that it was the actual name as opposed to my personal assessment of that particular owl.

my cat is norris
Mar 11, 2010

#onecallcat

just an incredible name

i love this thread

Enfys
Feb 17, 2013

Yeah I should have been clearer that it was the actual name as opposed to my personal assessment of that particular owl.

It wouldn't have been an incorrect assessment though

NTRabbit
Aug 15, 2012

i wear this armour to protect myself from the histrionics of hysterical women

bitches

The reservoir near me is now also a recreation park open to the public, so I got some birb photos.

I like Rainbow Lorikeets

This is a White-winged Chough and I had never seen one before

Long Billed Corellas are weird looking, but are apparently the best mimics in the Cockatoo family. Also farmers hate them, as they hate everything, and try to poison them.

Noisy Miners are so annoying people think they're feral pests, but they're natives, just fearless bastards.

Australian Wood Ducks look like little geese :3:

Also this lad of an Eastern Grey Kangaroo joey and his extended family

When I was taking photos of the ducks someone came over and told me there was a snake about 20 metres north of me, so I promptly moved south. I hope to find more birbs, mammals, and some lizards as I keep visiting.

YeahTubaMike
Mar 24, 2005

*hic* Gotta finish thish . . .
Doctor Rope

NTRabbit posted:

This is a White-winged Chough and I had never seen one before

Those wings don't look white to me. Are they white underneath or something? :confused:

NTRabbit
Aug 15, 2012

i wear this armour to protect myself from the histrionics of hysterical women

bitches

YeahTubaMike posted:

Those wings don't look white to me. Are they white underneath or something? :confused:

Someone else identified it for me because it was wrong for the local corvids, currawongs, and butcherbirds, and I had no other answer, but the white parts are only visible with the wings fully extended

NTRabbit fucked around with this message at 15:01 on Jan 24, 2022

my cat is norris
Mar 11, 2010

#onecallcat

NTRabbit posted:

Someone else identified it for me because it was wrong for the local corvids, currawongs, and butcherbirds, and I had no other answer, but the white parts are only visible with the wings fully extended

That was me!

They're similar to the yellow-shafted and red-shafted flickers found in North America in that they're harder to ID until they fly. Fortunately, these choughs have other really vivid identifiers, like those crazy red eyes and the curved beak.

https://www.allaboutbirds.org/news/flickers-the-closer-you-look-the-less-different-they-are/

I love that their namesake is so hidden! :kimchi:

There are lots of other birds out there like that, and other animals that are renowned for one look but can also look completely different depending on the time of year or setting...it's really cool. Nature is cool.

YeahTubaMike
Mar 24, 2005

*hic* Gotta finish thish . . .
Doctor Rope
Nice :) I love this thread

Hutla
Jun 5, 2004

It's mechanical

NTRabbit posted:

These awesome birds look like they're having a dance fight a la West Side Story.

my cat is norris
Mar 11, 2010

#onecallcat

That picture has so much ENERGY. It's like a scene from a cartoon.

Murdstone
Jun 14, 2005

I'm feeling Jimmy

NTRabbit posted:

I love these birds. They're beautiful.

Gunshow Poophole
Sep 14, 2008

OMBUDSMAN
POSTERS LOCAL 42069

Clapping Larry

Find a flask, we're playin' fast and loose
And all that jazz

Enfys
Feb 17, 2013

These birds know how to party

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bismuth
Jun 11, 2010

by Azathoth
Hell Gem

NTRabbit posted:

someone came over and told me there was a snake about 20 metres north of me, so I promptly moved south.

I should never visit; my instinct would be to move towards the snake