Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

ZogrimAteMyHamster
Dec 8, 2015

Flytrap posted:

I enjoyed it for a while but couldn't bother to finish it. The limited copy paste movesets really kill a lot of replayability, especially since partway through both protags specialize in the same weapon. Sure everyone can wield anything, but they only get to use a boring a limited version of weapons they don't main.

DW8XL basically.

I like the idea but the execution is just... why bother?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Allarion
May 16, 2009

がんばルビ!
It's like DW7 but if it only had the Wei campaign. I enjoyed SW5, but you're gonna run outta stuff to do soon enough, and there's a bit too many katana users for my liking, and it's a long while before you even get the characters with the fun weapons, or they're not available a good chunk of the time (hanzo).

Morter
Jul 1, 2006

:ninja:
Gift for the grind, criminal mind shifty

Swift with the 9 through a 59FIFTY

ZogrimAteMyHamster posted:

DW8XL basically.

I like the idea but the execution is just... why bother?

Have you played SW5? Do you like it? I'm looking for more input on it too.

ZogrimAteMyHamster
Dec 8, 2015

Morter posted:

Have you played SW5? Do you like it? I'm looking for more input on it too.

I have not, though I have considered it a couple of times, and I didn't have my head screwed on properly when I posted that stuff about it being like DW8XL because I was in the middle of dumb videogames :dumbbravo:

What I meant to say was SW5 seems to share DW8XL's mechanic of characters having their own "main" weapon which allows extra (or rather extended) moves after a couple of their regular Charge attacks. You can give them another character's weapon, sure, but they'll miss out on said extra moves for that weapon, so it's just a bit silly to bother with unless they're stuck with a really lovely base-level weapon on a time-based mission or whatever. Although maybe they missed a trick in DW8's case because seeing a fatty like Xu Zhu surfing around on Xingcai's shield and bowling everyone over would have been loving side-splitting.

After re-reading how SW5 seems to work with copy-paste basic movesets for the characters, though, it just seems even dumber that switching weapons is an option. Really seems odd for a series which until recently had generally embraced the ludicrous variety afforded by such a huge roster... which SW5 cut down to how few? Does Yoshimoto "I want to play kemari in the capital!" Imagawa even kick that ball around any more?

Edit:
gently caress it I'm getting the SW5 demo trial to see what's up.

Ainsley McTree
Feb 19, 2004

Flytrap posted:

I enjoyed it for a while but couldn't bother to finish it. The limited copy paste movesets really kill a lot of replayability, especially since partway through both protags specialize in the same weapon. Sure everyone can wield anything, but they only get to use a boring a limited version of weapons they don't main.

This was my experience too; for those early bits where everything was new and fun it was pretty rad, but that shine fell off pretty fast, I never finished it either and haven't had much temptation to return to it.

In addition to the issue with the movesets, I just found the maps really bland in this entry; I've talked about it before, but it feels much more like just running between a series of waypoints than an actual battle. Like the watershed moment in the battle of Nagashino boils down to "kill 5 cavalry officers" and then you move on

It's ok. If I'd bought it on sale I'd say that I'd have had my money's worth of fun from it before putting it down, but full price was a bit much.

Jack Trades
Nov 30, 2010

AoT 2 kicks rear end.

Ainsley McTree
Feb 19, 2004

Jack Trades posted:

AoT 2 kicks rear end.

Huh, i didn't even know they made a second one, but it looks like it's on a decent sale on steam.

Takoluka
Jun 26, 2009

Don't look at me!

So I can definitely see why Warriors All-Stars got a bad rap, but omg I love both Wang Yuanji's new moveset and weeblord supreme William. You can also tell that this game was made for the Vita.

kirbysuperstar
Nov 11, 2012

Let the fools who stand before us be destroyed by the power you and I possess.

Takoluka posted:

So I can definitely see why Warriors All-Stars got a bad rap, but omg I love both Wang Yuanji's new moveset and weeblord supreme William. You can also tell that this game was made for the Vita.

William has one of the coolest movesets they've made, imho.

Mr. Locke
Jul 28, 2010
Warriors All Stars was my guilty pleasure title of the Warriors games. It's probably technically not good but the bonkers character movesets and team mechanics and crackspeed combat pace make it fun to play when you really just wanna Warriors at poo poo for an hour or something and don't want to deal with the rough spots that other, better Warriors games occasionally make you deal with like Hyrule Warriors' giant monsters or Pirate Warriors 3's very hit or miss stage design. There's nothing that really makes you just stop and grumble in Warriors All Stars, which is something only really shared by WO3 specifically and helps it go down real smooth even if it's like a 7 out of 10 at best Warriors game.

Morter
Jul 1, 2006

Takoluka posted:

weeblord supreme William.

prePARE toooo DIIIiiieee! 🧚‍♀️

Allarion
May 16, 2009

がんばルビ!

Mr. Locke posted:

Warriors All Stars was my guilty pleasure title of the Warriors games. It's probably technically not good but the bonkers character movesets and team mechanics and crackspeed combat pace make it fun to play when you really just wanna Warriors at poo poo for an hour or something and don't want to deal with the rough spots that other, better Warriors games occasionally make you deal with like Hyrule Warriors' giant monsters or Pirate Warriors 3's very hit or miss stage design. There's nothing that really makes you just stop and grumble in Warriors All Stars, which is something only really shared by WO3 specifically and helps it go down real smooth even if it's like a 7 out of 10 at best Warriors game.

Enemy Characters getting annoying buffs and the darkness maps are the main annoyances I remember running into. Easy to ignore on the lower difficulties, but you start seeing the game’s issues more on the higher difficulties if you ever feel like bumping it up.

Takoluka
Jun 26, 2009

Don't look at me!

Naotora Ii can gently caress off with her "just straight up doesn't die" buff.

Jack Trades
Nov 30, 2010

I was just thinking, it's strange how literally nobody else is doing the same "hack'n'slash in a middle of an open battlefield with control points and mooks following a script" style of game. I wonder if Koei has a patent on that or something.
Has ANY other developer does anything in that style? Because I haven't seen anyone else try to do a Musou game and it's really weird.

Policenaut
Jul 11, 2008

On the moon... they don't make Neo Kobe Pizza.

Bandai Namco had a Kamen Rider series about it called Battride War and Capcom fiddled around with it with Sengoku BASARA for years.

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

Jack Trades posted:

I was just thinking, it's strange how literally nobody else is doing the same "hack'n'slash in a middle of an open battlefield with control points and mooks following a script" style of game. I wonder if Koei has a patent on that or something.
Has ANY other developer does anything in that style? Because I haven't seen anyone else try to do a Musou game and it's really weird.

Around the mid to late 2000's there were tons of them floating around and much like all the Monster Hunter clones none of them were even remotely as good and were miserable failures.

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

Remember when Sega tried to get Creative Assembly to do one?

5-Headed Snake God
Jun 12, 2008

Do you see how he's a cat?

There were also the Fate/Extella games, which weren't quite the same but were reasonably solid.

Hunter Noventa
Apr 21, 2010

5-Headed Snake God posted:

There were also the Fate/Extella games, which weren't quite the same but were reasonably solid.

The first one plays a bit rough around the edges and enemy lieutenants have way too much health.

Ainsley McTree
Feb 19, 2004

Drakengard tried, I suppose

Although not really, because you had no allied army in that

Leal
Oct 2, 2009

Ainsley McTree posted:

Drakengard tried, I suppose

Although not really, because you had no allied army in that

Well, not until 2 at least :v:

kirbysuperstar
Nov 11, 2012

Takoluka posted:

Naotora Ii can gently caress off with her "just straight up doesn't die" buff.

It really doesn't help that she shows up on every goddamned map

NameHurtBrain
Jan 17, 2015
There was that really shoddy Ninety Nine Nights game back in the 360 era. I really didn't like it.

Sengoku Basara is the obvious answer but I really don't feel that has the same emergent gameplay feel as a Warriors game. Your character is literally all that mattered, there was nothing to protect, and nothing ever changed. I mentally compared it to a Mega Man game in some regards - Magoichi's stage is always Magoichi's stage in the campaign, you just played through with a new moveset. 99N also had this I think - it was a crowd brawler but you weren't reacting as much as you were just slogging through armies.

Both were clearly inspired by Warriors games but just took the interpretation the wrong(?) way.

I feel it's a really ripe avenue if someone wanted to try to do it. Some competition is always good. KOEI fell into it honestly, since the principle idea for musuo is 'what if action game on a strategy game map', and it was during a time where they had enough money to try such an idea. Part of the magic grows out from that formula.

Bloodly
Nov 3, 2008

Not as strong as you'd expect.

Sakurazuka posted:

Remember when Sega tried to get Creative Assembly to do one?

I hope you're not saying that was a bad game, because it was a good game.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

NameHurtBrain posted:

There was that really shoddy Ninety Nine Nights game back in the 360 era. I really didn't like it.

Sengoku Basara is the obvious answer but I really don't feel that has the same emergent gameplay feel as a Warriors game. Your character is literally all that mattered, there was nothing to protect, and nothing ever changed. I mentally compared it to a Mega Man game in some regards - Magoichi's stage is always Magoichi's stage in the campaign, you just played through with a new moveset. 99N also had this I think - it was a crowd brawler but you weren't reacting as much as you were just slogging through armies.

Both were clearly inspired by Warriors games but just took the interpretation the wrong(?) way.

I feel it's a really ripe avenue if someone wanted to try to do it. Some competition is always good. KOEI fell into it honestly, since the principle idea for musuo is 'what if action game on a strategy game map', and it was during a time where they had enough money to try such an idea. Part of the magic grows out from that formula.

The problem is largely that it actually takes more effort than we give credit for to make these games and T-K's general success comes from decades of experience. Everyone else basically goes in blind, makes the same mistakes, and doesn't succeed well enough to really justify keep trying, and most rights holders are probably happier to just toss money at the guys who make games good.

kirbysuperstar
Nov 11, 2012

Utawarerumono Zan 2 seemed better than the first, but it doesn't help that a lot of the musou clones out there are, unfortunately, by Tamsoft.

OxMan
May 13, 2006

COME SEE
GRAVE DIGGER
LIVE AT MONSTER TRUCK JAM 2KXX

NameHurtBrain posted:

Maybe you're misremembering some things through the fog of time, but although NNN had its own issues it did try to take the koei formula and grow it up, in a sense, by having a bigger focus on the battlefield geometry itself, as well as more mid-stage shenanigans. The real winner of that generation, and indeed the blending of musou and strategy, was Bladestorm.

Takoluka
Jun 26, 2009

Don't look at me!

NameHurtBrain posted:

The Senran Kagura games are the closest we have to current Basara games in the West, and they're so bad. That whole setup of "level is essentially a hallway" makes them feel like small-scale character stories rather than the tales of the Warriors Worth A Thousand.

Policenaut
Jul 11, 2008

On the moon... they don't make Neo Kobe Pizza.

Kingdom Under Fire was sick until they went down too far on the Korean game path and made it into an MMO.

Jack Trades
Nov 30, 2010

OxMan posted:

The real winner of that generation, and indeed the blending of musou and strategy, was Bladestorm.

I just looked into Bladestorm because I never heard of it and it's...weird. I'm only a little bit into it but so far it reminds me of Mount & Blade more than anything.

Jack Trades
Nov 30, 2010

Played some more Bladestorm and while the mechanics are pretty interesting and it tries to be the kind of Musou game I always wanted to play, it's just so poorly balanced.
The game tries to have all kinds of strategic mechanics where it wants you to switch squads and deploy troops on the map and give them commands but ALL of those mechanics are literally pointless because you're constantly overleveled so it's just easier to beeline for your objective, press one button and win.

It's a shame really. Bizarre that the game doesn't have any difficulty settings either.

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

I'll assume you're playing the Nightmare version, the original was balanced slightly better. It doesn't solve the issue of how insanely repetitive things get very quickly though.

Drakenel
Dec 2, 2008

The glow is a guide, my friend. Though it falls to you to avert catastrophe, you will never fight alone.

Jack Trades posted:

Played some more Bladestorm and while the mechanics are pretty interesting and it tries to be the kind of Musou game I always wanted to play, it's just so poorly balanced.
The game tries to have all kinds of strategic mechanics where it wants you to switch squads and deploy troops on the map and give them commands but ALL of those mechanics are literally pointless because you're constantly overleveled so it's just easier to beeline for your objective, press one button and win.

It's a shame really. Bizarre that the game doesn't have any difficulty settings either.

I mean, Use horse and press charge isn't very varied gameplay, but neither are most musous.

It's definitely aged odd, but to be honest, I like the music.

Jack Trades
Nov 30, 2010

Drakenel posted:

I mean, Use horse and press charge isn't very varied gameplay, but neither are most musous.

It's definitely aged odd, but to be honest, I like the music.

Most Musous are also bad. I like them but most of them are bad.

The specific issue with Bladestorm is that it trades combat complexity for strategic complexity and then instantly invalidates any strategy by making you overpowered within an hour. In normal Musous you're also always overpowered but in those games you get to entertain yourself with pretty colors by doing different flashy combos in the moment-to-moment gameplay. Bladestorm offers no such thing.
Whoever was responsible for tweaking the numbers in that game should be really loving ashamed of themselves.

EDIT: Also most Musous do at least include difficulty modes, and while playing DW8E on Chaos difficulty isn't actually any difficult, it does force you to pay attention lest Lu Bu pulls an instant-kill Musou attack out of his rear end mid-combo.

Jack Trades fucked around with this message at 21:10 on Jan 1, 2022

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

One think I think a lot of musous miss is that at the end of the day Musou has more in common with Diablo than anything else. The loop is about playing and replaying missions full of fairly simple combat to get more loot and more customization to take on harder challenges until you get bored. I feel like trying to veer away from that often feels weird.

NameHurtBrain
Jan 17, 2015
Oh yes, that's pretty much the ideal solution if KOEI wanted to expand the series into more than what it is. Just have enemies start dropping more loot beyond weapons. Add more customization and synergies with what you can use. Add some sort of near-infinite scaling. Let cooperative play have more players.

Are you telling me there aren't people who would run Wu Zhang Plains +42 with 3 friends over and over just to see how far they could go? Or to push a leaderboard even? To go farm Yi Ling to get Zhou Yu a stick that does 3 more fire damage on his S-string?

No. We got open world Dynasty Warriors which to me still seems incredibly :psyduck:. Who the gently caress wants to go hunting with Xiahou Dun instead of just getting to murdering hundreds of dudes.

Morter
Jul 1, 2006

If they had made the action ANY smoother i'd be all over DW9 but it seems so stunted which I find so incredibly odd.

Flytrap
Apr 30, 2013
The Berserk one was pretty fun but only if you were willing to accept that they very clearly built the game around one character (Guts) and the others are just kinda superfluous. Like Casca is built around grappling moves and poo poo that just...don't work on Large enemies. Of which there are a loving LOT. Griffith is about big sweeping poo poo that clears human hordes well but just fly past all the huge demons. All of Guts different movesets work perfectly through, I love running around in the Endless Nightmare mode with the basic rear end Golden Era kit.

Mode 7
Jul 28, 2007

Does anyone have any strong opinions about One Piece Pirate Warriors 3 vs OPPW 4?
I've got 3 sitting around from some previous Humble Bundle and 4 is on Game Pass at the moment, and I've been getting back into the manga lately after a long hiatus (I will finish the Dressrosa arc this time!) and would be keen to do some One Piece musou

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Chinook
Apr 11, 2006

SHODAI

I played PW3 for like 40 hours and absolutely loved it. I tried PW4 for about an hour and got bored. It might be okay but it didn’t grab me like the third one did.