Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Toe Rag
Aug 29, 2005

This may be of interest to some of you. June 6/7 and August 1/2 at Laguna Seca with a 105dB limit instead of 90. Might be your only chance until 2023! It’s $500, though. I’m not sure if I’m going yet. I’ll have to see what the other schedules look like. My bike is quiet enough I can go whenever. I guess it depends on if anyone wants to go with me. I think it’s $400 already normally so splitting transport costs will probably even out. I definitely want to go to Laguna Seca at least once next year.

https://www.funtrackdayz.com/schedule/

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

dema
Aug 13, 2006

cursedshitbox posted:

I did the inverse of going dedicated dirtbike to mtb. Dualsports are still fine and good though.

I planned for 3 ish thousand miles of mtb this year, got in around a thousand miles. Fire season and the midwest sucks. Beating this for 2022, and getting back on a moto because gently caress not riding.

I think I'm going to sell my dualsport bike. Had dreams of riding from my house to service roads and the easier trails. But it just feels crappy at everything except the service road part. And I got bored with those pretty quick.

Found in practice that I'd rather either ride my sport bike or drive to the trailhead with my mtb.

Probably be different if I had dualsport friends.

Rolo
Nov 16, 2005

Hmm, what have we here?

numberoneposter posted:

3000 miles (5000 km) on my lil 09 ninja 650 that i hit the deck on once, bump started a few times cause the factory original battery was toast, did one small road trip on, changed the slip-on exhaust, done a bunch of 150 km days on the back roads, and have been daily riding it until the snow started.

its the first bike ive actually owned and i like it a lot. perfect mix of "yee-haw" and "it just works."

Wanna pet that dog.

I got about 2-3k miles under my belt this year on the R3. Not as much as I'd hoped for but I live in a big slow city so it's still a good amount of time spent riding. I also bought a fun car last month so I'm balancing the bike with that honeymoon phase.

right arm
Oct 30, 2011

dema posted:

I think I'm going to sell my dualsport bike. Had dreams of riding from my house to service roads and the easier trails. But it just feels crappy at everything except the service road part. And I got bored with those pretty quick.

Found in practice that I'd rather either ride my sport bike or drive to the trailhead with my mtb.

Probably be different if I had dualsport friends.

they make bike racks for motorcycles fyi. I haven’t personally used one but I’ve seen a few on advrider and that is the dream. I’ll probably get one once I’m back in OR

PeterCat
Apr 8, 2020

Believe women.

How bad does the PO have to be to crack the block while changing the oil?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4Lp1HpRG31U

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

Super easy to do on victory/indian's terrible drain plug design. You can see it in the video, it's right on a corner of their lovely casting, it's got a small head on a big deep thread and it points sideways instead of down on a lot of their models. Not to say it can't happen on a Japanese bike but it's a lot harder to gently caress it up when you're dealing with like a 14mm thread.

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

PeterCat posted:

How bad does the PO have to be to crack the block while changing the oil?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4Lp1HpRG31U

Just based on the thumbnail, is that a dealership drumming up business by saying "Hey, this part is garbage and you'll probably break it, better let us do it"?

Rev. Dr. Moses P. Lester
Oct 3, 2000
Also isn't the recommended oil on those things something almost unheard of like 5W60?

Geekboy
Aug 21, 2005

Now that's what I call a geekMAN!
Put about 2,000 miles on my scooter I traded in and my Royal Alloy this year. Favorite ride was probably when I went out to Sauvie Island and saw a double rainbow.

Got a great deal on a 2017 Roadster that I'm waiting for delivery on. Changed the seat to a taller one (though I don't love the aesthetics of the seat, so I might look for something similar aftermarket that's a bit nicer) and the handlebars to something that would let me be more upright. This ruins the intended ergonomics of the bike, but I don't care. What's the point of buying a Harley if you don't turn it into something no one else could possibly want? Also added heated grips because they were changing the handlebars, anyway.

Waiting for delivery next week since the weather isn't cooperating and I'd prefer my first real ride to not involve elevation where there's snow or a particularly garbage bit of freeway.

Feel free to mock me for following almost none of the advice that was given. I'm in no way ready to start riding off road, so I went with something that could theoretically be altered to do okay on a basic trail, but would encourage more road riding. I'm about to enter a really stressful period at work and am really looking forward to being able to gently caress off out of Dodge when I need to. Still keeping the scooter for getting around town, but now I'm fully mobile (weather permitting, which it usually is out here in Oregon).

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

GoPro?

Geekboy
Aug 21, 2005

I don't need to document my mediocre riding and the world doesn't need another middle aged guy pontificating while he should be paying attention to traffic. A phone mount for navigation is as close as I plan to get to that.

I don't want to be a total cliché.

Steakandchips
Apr 30, 2009

Geekboy posted:

Put about 2,000 miles on my scooter I traded in and my Royal Alloy this year. Favorite ride was probably when I went out to Sauvie Island and saw a double rainbow.

Got a great deal on a 2017 Roadster that I'm waiting for delivery on. Changed the seat to a taller one (though I don't love the aesthetics of the seat, so I might look for something similar aftermarket that's a bit nicer) and the handlebars to something that would let me be more upright. This ruins the intended ergonomics of the bike, but I don't care. What's the point of buying a Harley if you don't turn it into something no one else could possibly want? Also added heated grips because they were changing the handlebars, anyway.

Waiting for delivery next week since the weather isn't cooperating and I'd prefer my first real ride to not involve elevation where there's snow or a particularly garbage bit of freeway.

Feel free to mock me for following almost none of the advice that was given. I'm in no way ready to start riding off road, so I went with something that could theoretically be altered to do okay on a basic trail, but would encourage more road riding. I'm about to enter a really stressful period at work and am really looking forward to being able to gently caress off out of Dodge when I need to. Still keeping the scooter for getting around town, but now I'm fully mobile (weather permitting, which it usually is out here in Oregon).

Scooter --> heavy rear end cruiser is a bad idea.

Get a smaller bike with gears to learn how to ride geared bikes properly and have some experience with geared bikes under your belt before riding a cruiser.

Finger Prince
Jan 5, 2007

Steakandchips posted:

Get a smaller bike with gears to learn how to ride geared bikes properly and have some experience with geared bikes under your belt before riding a cruiser.

That Harley is just a fat standard, not a cruiser. Only difference between that and say a Sv650 is it makes less power and will be a bigger pain to haul out of a ditch.

HenryJLittlefinger
Jan 31, 2010

stomp clap

Geekboy posted:

something that could theoretically be altered to do okay on a basic trail,
Interesting

builds character
Jan 16, 2008

Keep at it.

Geekboy posted:

I don't need to document my mediocre riding and the world doesn't need another middle aged guy pontificating while he should be paying attention to traffic. A phone mount for navigation is as close as I plan to get to that.

The traditional advice here for someone who doesn’t listen to suggestions that are generally in their best interests (get a ninja 250 or Yamaha 300 or a drz/wr250) is to suggest a super Duke and a go pro. The super Duke because it’s an absurdly powerful bike that is wildly inappropriate for a beginner but is also very good and fun and will be generally appealing to the demographic and a GoPro so they can record themselves crashing.

Bikes should make you happy. You should certainly enjoy yours but be aware of the things that make it a bad learning bike and a bike that is very different from a scooter and then you’ll probably be just fine and have a great time.

Please do not take it on trails. Any bike will do dirt or gravel roads if the rider is comfortable with it, but you’re just going to drop it and be sad and not enjoy life if you take it on real off-road trails.

Patrocclesiastes
Apr 30, 2009

and a rock will go between the belt and snap it

HenryJLittlefinger
Jan 31, 2010

stomp clap

If you want to ride on trails, you want a bike that is better than ok and you don’t want to have to alter it to do so. Have fun on that bike, it’s a much less stupid option for a first bike thank you could have gone with. Better choice than a sportbike or big adv. As builds character pointed out, it can do gravel/dirt, but unless you’re already familiar with the way a bike works off pavement it’s not a good way to intentionally break into it. It’ll be fine if you find yourself in a situation where you have to traverse a dirt road.

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

Geekboy posted:

It's so we can dissect your inevitable humiliating crash in excruciating detail in the hope of inoculating you against further monumental stupidity.

Finger Prince posted:

That Harley is just a fat standard, not a cruiser. Only difference between that and say a Sv650 is it makes less power and will be a bigger pain to haul out of a ditch.

Lmao I hope this is a joke

Patrocclesiastes posted:

and a rock will go between the belt and snap it

An overstated risk but it does happen.

Springfield Fatts
May 24, 2010
Pillbug
I'm closing 2021 with about 8500 miles clocked. But 1700 of those were crammed into three days from Colorado to North Carolina. Unfortunately the rest were mostly commuting, covid and new employment has kept me from really exploring the area I moved to.

Russian Bear
Dec 26, 2007

That sure is a surprising choice of all 550lb bikes out there.

some kinda jackal
Feb 25, 2003

Happy new year, bike nerds. Thanks for putting up with my bullshit in 2021, maybe I’ll be less dumb in ‘22

PeterCat
Apr 8, 2020

Believe women.

I'm beginning to think dealerships don't actually want to work on bikes.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HmbxEhzlwJc

Chris Knight
Jun 5, 2002

me @ ur posts

Fun Shoe
Can I get a head wobble?

builds character
Jan 16, 2008

Keep at it.

Martytoof posted:

Happy new year, bike nerds. Thanks for putting up with my bullshit in 2021, maybe I’ll be less dumb in ‘22

Happy new year!

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

PeterCat posted:

What are you talking about that's perfectly normal for a Chinese scooter

I have a few things in mind but I'd love to know exactly what they hosed up.

Geekboy
Aug 21, 2005

PeterCat posted:

Slavvy already said it, but my first 50cc scooter did that at about 20 mph when I was slowing down. I would expect slightly more out of a motorcycle that expensive than I got out of a cheap, Chinese scooter that didn't even require a motorcycle license.

I've seen some places turn Sportsters into bad scramblers and it's mostly just a funny thing to think about. It is not a thing I'm seriously considering. I fell in love with the bike and have accepted that in a couple years I'll either be trading it in for something I can grow more with or saving up to buy something that compliments it. Maybe by then the Tenere 700 won't be so hard to find.

Steakandchips
Apr 30, 2009

Finger Prince posted:

:dogstare:

Rev. Dr. Moses P. Lester
Oct 3, 2000

Slavvy posted:

I have a few things in mind but I'd love to know exactly what they hosed up.
What are you thinking? I've never ridden a Polaris Indian but I've noticed over the years an awful lot of bikes are prone to this if you take your hands off the bars at low/medium speed.

dema
Aug 13, 2006

Steakandchips posted:

What? Just practice in a parking lot for a bit first. Or even better, take a MSF class, or equivalent.

I rode my FIL's Sportster 1200 in the mountains back when I just had a few months on my Ninja 300 and it was no problem. At least once I realized how much more effort you had to put into counter steering. Never felt like there was a significant power difference between the two. Both bikes were dogs.

builds character posted:

The super Duke because it’s an absurdly powerful bike that is wildly inappropriate for a beginner but is also very good and fun and will be generally appealing to the demographic and a GoPro so they can record themselves crashing.

As long as you keep the electronic aids on, the Super Duke is a tame bike. Esp in rain mode. The wheelie control and traction control work great.

Sure, totally ridiculous for a new rider, but it's not like it's inherently some sort of widow maker.

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

Rev. Dr. Moses P. Lester posted:

What are you thinking? I've never ridden a Polaris Indian but I've noticed over the years an awful lot of bikes are prone to this if you take your hands off the bars at low/medium speed.

I'm thinking they didn't do up everything on the front end or put it together crooked when they had the wheel out, or the half a pound of balance weights have fallen off.

dema posted:

What? Just practice in a parking lot for a bit first. Or even better, take a MSF class, or equivalent.

I rode my FIL's Sportster 1200 in the mountains back when I just had a few months on my Ninja 300 and it was no problem. At least once I realized how much more effort you had to put into counter steering. Never felt like there was a significant power difference between the two. Both bikes were dogs.

As long as you keep the electronic aids on, the Super Duke is a tame bike. Esp in rain mode. The wheelie control and traction control work great.

Sure, totally ridiculous for a new rider, but it's not like it's inherently some sort of widow maker.

This is what it looks like when it's been so long since you were a learner that you've totally lost objectivity. A harmless error on a ninja 300 will easily kill you on a sportster. Enter too fast on a ninja and if you just force yourself to lean further you'll make it. Do the same thing on a sporty and you'll understeer off the road into a highway sign.

Traction control and wheelie control have no relevance for learners. The big power isn't what would kill a learner on a SD, rain mode or not, because even 60hp is too much power for a learner. The fat tyres and bulk and the whole bike being generally designed around knowing what you're doing is what kills you. If an sv650 is too much for a learner (it is in my book and according to many governments around the world) then a SD throttled to death is too much still. In this respect it's no more or less dangerous than any other full sized bike though, I wouldn't set a learner loose on a vstrom 1000 or a street fighter 848 either.

TotalLossBrain
Oct 20, 2010

Hier graben!

Slavvy posted:

If an sv650 is too much for a learner (it is in my book and according to many governments around the world)

story time!
I grew up in East Germany (one day I'll get around to do an A/T about it) and at age 16, this is what everyone was riding:

50 glorious CC. The driver's license took a while to get, with at least 18-20 hours of riding under the watchful eye of an instructor.
At 18, you could get a license for something bigger. However, you had to go through the whole process again: theory in the class room, written test, and another 18-20 hours (minimum) of riding.
The biggest bikes you could reasonably get at the time were MZ bikes from 125cc-250cc. My brother had a couple of those back then.
A few examples from different years:

By the time I turned 16, the East had fallen and I couldn't be bothered to get a Simson so I got a Honda MBX 80 instead:

Almost everyone else still rode the clapped out Simson's around. The cool kids with money got new Yamaha RT80s (might be wrong on model, but it was an 80cc dual sport basically)
I rode it for a year and eventually moved here. Now I got a Monkey 125 and an older KTM 250 EXC for offroad shenanigans.

The Simsons experienced a fantastic retro revival over the past couple of decades. Clean S51 bikes will now sell for more than when they were new.
My nephew has a shop dedicated to building/rebuilding them and he's getting business from all over Germany.

Edit: thought of something else that was fun. People were experts at squeezing more power out of the S51. Bored up, stroker crank, whatever to get more displacement. Unfortunately, the cops were also experts at recognizing telltale signs and they would absolutely seize the bike and take it apart to prove it had been tampered with.
Biggest lol: They still do this today. My nephew had one of his bike taken apart by coppers just a year ago.

TotalLossBrain fucked around with this message at 02:03 on Jan 2, 2022

dema
Aug 13, 2006

Slavvy posted:

A harmless error on a ninja 300 will easily kill you on a sportster.

This is nonsense. 1200 Sportster is so slow. At least my FIL's was. I didn't ride them back to back, but it seriously didn't feel any faster than a Ninja 300. Off the line, freeway, anything.

Maybe if your concern if around weight or heavy handling?

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

ERM... Actually I have stellar scores on the surveys, and every year students tell me that my classes are the best ones they’ve ever taken.
e: what

Sagebrush fucked around with this message at 03:48 on Jan 2, 2022

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

ERM... Actually I have stellar scores on the surveys, and every year students tell me that my classes are the best ones they’ve ever taken.

dema posted:

This is nonsense. 1200 Sportster is so slow. At least my FIL's was. I didn't ride them back to back, but it seriously didn't feel any faster than a Ninja 300. Off the line, freeway, anything.

? Nobody is saying the Sportster is dangerous because it's fast. Slavvy literally said it will "understeer off the road into a highway sign." That has nothing to do with speed and everything to do with handling and weight.

TotalLossBrain posted:

[timg]
By the time I turned 16, the East had fallen and I couldn't be bothered to get a Simson so I got a Honda MBX 80 instead:

rad as hell. want

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

TotalLossBrain posted:

story time!
I grew up in East Germany (one day I'll get around to do an A/T about it) and at age 16, this is what everyone was riding:

50 glorious CC. The driver's license took a while to get, with at least 18-20 hours of riding under the watchful eye of an instructor.
At 18, you could get a license for something bigger. However, you had to go through the whole process again: theory in the class room, written test, and another 18-20 hours (minimum) of riding.
The biggest bikes you could reasonably get at the time were MZ bikes from 125cc-250cc. My brother had a couple of those back then.
A few examples from different years:

Almost everyone else still rode the clapped out Simson's around. The cool kids with money got new Yamaha RT80s (might be wrong on model, but it was an 80cc dual sport basically)
I rode it for a year and eventually moved here. Now I got a Monkey 125 and an older KTM 250 EXC for offroad shenanigans.

The Simsons experienced a fantastic retro revival over the past couple of decades. Clean S51 bikes will now sell for more than when they were new.
My nephew has a shop dedicated to building/rebuilding them and he's getting business from all over Germany.

Edit: thought of something else that was fun. People were experts at squeezing more power out of the S51. Bored up, stroker crank, whatever to get more displacement. Unfortunately, the cops were also experts at recognizing telltale signs and they would absolutely seize the bike and take it apart to prove it had been tampered with.
Biggest lol: They still do this today. My nephew had one of his bike taken apart by coppers just a year ago.

These are all glorious and the Honda is orgasmic, another bike I never knew I wanted.

dema posted:

No dude. Horsepower is not relevant here, as I've already said even 60-odd is too much (a sporty 1200 can have anywhere between 50-100 depending on year etc). It's the fact that it's a very heavy, very long bike with very slow steering and fat tyres (or worse, a 21" front), no ground clearance and not particularly stellar brakes.

I'll literally just repeat myself:

Slavvy posted:

A harmless error on a ninja 300 will easily kill you on a sportster. Enter too fast on a ninja and if you just force yourself to lean further you'll make it. Do the same thing on a sporty and you'll understeer off the road into a highway sign.

Like actually think about what that situation is like when you're hopeless and scared and don't know what to do in an emergency.

Ninja 300: Oh gently caress I've entered too fast! If you have moxy and you're on to it you'll just lean further and make it. If you're less confident you can use the brakes while turning, or stand the bike up and stop. Any jagged or conflicting inputs will likely lead to scary wobbles but not an immediate crash. Probability of escaping the lean angle trap is high even with low skill.

Sportster: oh gently caress I've entered too fast! If you try to lean further the exhaust touches down so you can't. If you try to stand up and brake you find it's a very heavy bike with not very good brakes and you almost certainly aren't prepared for the vigour required to haul up even a light Harley in a hurry, let alone contain any movement. Probability of escaping the trap is low even with decent skills.

My most puckering cruiser moment was when I got too greedy into a left hander I know very well, on a triumph Bonneville America. Fun fact about the America: it has a different side stand to the normal Bonnie, it is mounted right up front like a Harley, and the ground clearance in general is very poor. I went in too fast and even with some throttle to keep the bike high AND leaning off a bit, the stand touched down and there was literally no way to avoid ending up on the wrong side of the road. I was extremely fortunate nobody was coming the other way. That bike had middling to good ground clearance for a cruiser.

Another time I touched the exhaust bracket down on nazibike and the whole thing pivoted in a midcorner drift because the rear wheel got levered off the ground momentarily, my mate said it looked epic. It is the highest lean angle, best handling cruiser I've ridden (if you don't count the diavel) besides the fat bob.

Rev. Dr. Moses P. Lester
Oct 3, 2000

Slavvy posted:

Ninja 300: Oh gently caress I've entered too fast! If you have moxy and you're on to it you'll just lean further and make it. If you're less confident you can use the brakes while turning, or stand the bike up and stop. Any jagged or conflicting inputs will likely lead to scary wobbles but not an immediate crash. Probability of escaping the lean angle trap is high even with low skill.
This is the reason you almost always wanna start riding on a Ninja 300, on street or track. Everything it does is user friendly and easy to manage, even if you're pushing it hard. You're free to learn, nothing gets in your way. Heavy weight and lots of power, although they look sexy in photos and stats, get in your way.

dema
Aug 13, 2006

Sagebrush posted:

? Nobody is saying the Sportster is dangerous because it's fast. Slavvy literally said it will "understeer off the road into a highway sign." That has nothing to do with speed and everything to do with handling and weight.

Okay, missed that. Sorry. But, I also think the understeering thing that's total nonsense. I mean, I've watched people target fixate, understeer and crash a bicycle. More than a few times.

The gatekeeping people do with types and sizes of motorcycles is bizarre. Guess that's just the Internet for you though.

What matters is riding smart and within your limits.

Russian Bear
Dec 26, 2007

You can go through the gate as long as you take a gopro with you.

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

Lmao how is telling people starting on a sportster is a terrible idea gatekeeping, what the hell. Did you even read any of the words?

What's next, complaints about helmet laws?

E: the very definition of riding smart is not riding a bike totally beyond your skill level, to me

Slavvy fucked around with this message at 06:11 on Jan 2, 2022

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Razzled
Feb 3, 2011

MY HARLEY IS COOL
expecting new riders to aspire to be something marginally better than "retarded bar hopping harley rider" is hardly new to CA

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)