Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Faffel
Dec 31, 2008

A bouncy little mouse!

signalnoise posted:

Yeah, of course. I mean, if this is a real question, I'm seriously fine. It's a somewhat regular occurrence for me to need to ask directly when I can't figure out some social puzzle like this, because if I don't figure it out on my own, then asking is the option I have remaining, right? It's not the kind of coping I like having to do, but ultimately, it has given me better long-term outcomes. In any case, I had my last attempt to "get it" with "suck my balls" but as far as I can tell, that's not it either, or maybe I did get it but the followup is some other thing I don't get, but regardless, it's just not the thread for me, and that's okay. People are enjoying this thread, and it's good for people to enjoy things. :)

I'm gonna suck your balls bitch

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

kntfkr
Feb 11, 2019

GOOSE FUCKER

signalnoise posted:

There's a gacha phone game where all the stuff you get is real cars as girls and here's the Jeep Grand Cherokee

this is better character design than SMTV

Ritz On Toppa Ritz
Oct 14, 2006

You're not allowed to crumble unless I say so.
Suda51 is a better story teller than Hideo Kojima.

Hector Delgado
Sep 23, 2007

Time for shore leave!!
Maybe. I've played thru Killer7 like 4 times and still have no idea what's going on

Waltzing Along
Jun 14, 2008

There's only one
Human race
Many faces
Everybody belongs here

signalnoise posted:

Yeah, of course. I mean, if this is a real question, I'm seriously fine. It's a somewhat regular occurrence for me to need to ask directly when I can't figure out some social puzzle like this, because if I don't figure it out on my own, then asking is the option I have remaining, right? It's not the kind of coping I like having to do, but ultimately, it has given me better long-term outcomes. In any case, I had my last attempt to "get it" with "suck my balls" but as far as I can tell, that's not it either, or maybe I did get it but the followup is some other thing I don't get, but regardless, it's just not the thread for me, and that's okay. People are enjoying this thread, and it's good for people to enjoy things. :)

If someone tells you to suck their balls, simply state: "present them."

Thank you drive thru.

jokes
Dec 20, 2012

Uh... Kupo?

I do not think it’s good for people to enjoy things without express permission from this thread

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

Waltzing Along posted:

If someone tells you to suck their balls, simply state: "present them."

Who do you think I am - Bob Mortimer?

galagazombie
Oct 31, 2011

A silly little mouse!
Where did all these mouse AV’s come from?

ilmucche
Mar 16, 2016

You appear to be mouse buddies

Bum the Sad
Aug 25, 2002
Hell Gem

signalnoise posted:

I dunno how to say this in a way that doesn't sound condescending but the fact is that bodily functions can differ depending on the body, and it can be stuff that people have no control over, or don't know the cause of so they don't know how to avoid the problems. For example, sometimes I get abdominal migraines and when that happens, I can expect to spend a significant amount of time on the can. Some people just have megadiarrhea or whatever and just want something to occupy their mind while their butt dry heaves. It's not great to think about, but it's also not something I'd go trying to shame people for. I dunno what Caesar Saladin is imagining I'm doing with my phone or which bathrooms I'm using but from the posting it reads like the expectation is I'm pulling out a phone for 30 minutes to play a game while taking a poo poo in a subway station's public stalls. I could be wrong, but if that was the intent, then lol and lmao

Lol “don’t poop shame me, I have a made up condition”

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

Just have a stack of Aku Ankkas on top of the washing machine like a normal person. Maybe a few Asterix albums for those really long sessions.

E: Oh public toilets. Just talk to the person in the next stall.

WILDTURKEY101
Mar 7, 2005

Look to your left. Look to your right. Only one of you is going to pass this course.
Still fuckin laughing about the guy playing clash of clans on 5 ipads in ziploc bags in the shower

kntfkr
Feb 11, 2019

GOOSE FUCKER

WILDTURKEY101 posted:

Still fuckin laughing about the guy playing clash of clans on 5 ipads in ziploc bags in the shower

Right? I want to film a reenactment.

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

And they call it a casual game.

galagazombie
Oct 31, 2011

A silly little mouse!
How can you call yourself a gamer if you didn’t use an Official Strategy Guide as your entertainment when taking a mondo dump.

Meme Poker Party
Sep 1, 2006

by Azathoth
Some of those old strategy guides were pretty cool for real.

Chloe Jessica
Nov 6, 2021
Pick 2.0
i bought strategy guides for games i didn't own at thrift stores and just read them like they were normal books

William Henry Hairytaint
Oct 29, 2011

Meme Poker Party posted:

Some of those old strategy guides were pretty cool for real.

I treasured my official NINTENDO POWER Final Fantasy strategy guide

Barudak
May 7, 2007

Hector Delgado posted:

Maybe. I've played thru Killer7 like 4 times and still have no idea what's going on

People jerking off to pop stars makes them explode and you shouldn't take dating advice from highschool principles, this seems very clear

X JAKK
Sep 1, 2000

We eat the pig then together we BURN
My poops rocket out of me like a potato gun, are yall all gulping opiates or what

X JAKK
Sep 1, 2000

We eat the pig then together we BURN

Chloe Jessica posted:

i bought strategy guides for games i didn't own at thrift stores and just read them like they were normal books

I only had an NES so couldn't play Street Fighter II, so i'd cut out the pictures of all the characters from Gamepro magazine and have little fights on various schoolyard surfaces

kntfkr
Feb 11, 2019

GOOSE FUCKER
I bought the strategy guide for Full Throttle cuz of the stupid wall kick puzzle.

William Henry Hairytaint
Oct 29, 2011

I was gifted a Doom II strategy guide that talked about four player co-op and how everyone needed to practice rhythmic keypresses to stay in formation and how to move in a fighting diamond and quickly transition to echelon left or right and how to avoid overlapping fields of fire and all kinds of other pseudo military bullshit in the game about spraying lead absolutely everywhere while high as gently caress and listening to music that AC/DC could sue over if they really wanted to.

I think they just didn't have enough material for a full book after the level maps and walkthroughs so they just told the author to stretch it to 250 pages or whatever, just get it done. And then gave him no help or even feedback after he was finished.

William Henry Hairytaint fucked around with this message at 04:47 on Jan 2, 2022

Gaius Marius
Oct 9, 2012

Playing doom the way people play Arma sounds kind rad actually

WILDTURKEY101
Mar 7, 2005

Look to your left. Look to your right. Only one of you is going to pass this course.

William Henry Hairytaint posted:

I was gifted a Doom II strategy guide that talked about four player co-op and how everyone needed to practice rhythmic keypresses to stay in formation and how to move in a fighting diamond and quickly transition to echelon left or right and how to avoid overlapping fields of fire and all kinds of other pseudo military bullshit in the game about spraying lead absolutely everywhere while high as gently caress and listening to music that AC/DC could sue over if they really wanted to.

I think they just didn't have enough material for a full book after the level maps and walkthroughs so they just told the author to stretch it to 250 pages or whatever, just get it done. And then gave him no help or even feedback after he was finished.

god drat everything related to the Doom franchise fuckin rules except I guess Doom 3 and even then it's really not that bad it's just not what Doom is supposed to be

kntfkr
Feb 11, 2019

GOOSE FUCKER
I have a gamepro streetfighter 2 strategy guide with the ugliest character drawings in the world (still all better than the main character in SMTV), like they're just weird. I'm gonna see if I can find an example. Can't. Oh well, here's some of the cover.

Only registered members can see post attachments!

William Henry Hairytaint
Oct 29, 2011

Gaius Marius posted:

Playing doom the way people play Arma sounds kind rad actually

First person through clears the close right corner, second clear the close left, the last two clear the further right and left corners.

The arch-vile is on a platform in the middle of the room crisping everyone but DO NOT ENGAGE UNTIL THE CORNERS ARE CLEAR

William Henry Hairytaint
Oct 29, 2011

WILDTURKEY101 posted:

god drat everything related to the Doom franchise fuckin rules except I guess Doom 3 and even then it's really not that bad it's just not what Doom is supposed to be

yeah Doom 3 was a pretty good game it just wasn't a very good Doom.

It was awfully dark though.

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

galagazombie posted:

How can you call yourself a gamer if you didn’t use an Official Strategy Guide as your entertainment when taking a mondo dump.

I call myself in a big bed with my wife.

abigserve
Sep 13, 2009

this is a better avatar than what I had before
Doom 3 was revolutionary at the time from basically every perspective and I remember having this big issue of some game magazine that was fully dedicated to Doom 3 and the technology/art behind it and I read it so much it fell apart

QuarkJets
Sep 8, 2008

I had a strategy guide for Final Fantasy 9 and even though that was toward the end of those kinds of books existing it was still full of nice illustrations and legit helpful suggestions

Chloe Jessica
Nov 6, 2021
Pick 2.0
didn't they sell a strategy guide for FFIX that was just minimal help and a bunch of URLs for the official website where the actual information was

Gaius Marius
Oct 9, 2012

Chloe Jessica posted:

didn't they sell a strategy guide for FFIX that was just minimal help and a bunch of URLs for the official website where the actual information was

To find out check play online.com and enter the code GUIDE

Barudak
May 7, 2007

Chloe Jessica posted:

Yes. FFXI's online login portal is based on the failed strategy guide portal.

no_tears
Dec 20, 2020

Bing Bong
Is Final Fantasy that one Mickey Mouse game where everyone fights for Princess Peach?

William Henry Hairytaint
Oct 29, 2011

no_tears posted:

Is Final Fantasy that one Mickey Mouse game where everyone fights for Princess Peach?

That's Spec Ops: The Line

QuarkJets
Sep 8, 2008

no_tears posted:

That's Bioshock Infinite

Devils Affricate
Jan 22, 2010
I'm suddenly reminded of the notorious Brady Games Official FFXI (that's XI, not IX) Strategy Guide. Not only was the information it contained already largely out of date by the time the game was released in NA (and destined to only grow more so, what with the game being an MMO that receives a constant flow up updates, balance changes, and expansions), but a lot of it wasn't even correct at the time it was written. Most MMOs can't be fully played/experienced without a huge time investment, and FFXI was a particularly demanding game in this regard. Thus there was no possible way the guide could have been written from a place of real experience, so it presented players with hilariously noobish advice, which ended up creating a scourge of new players who proudly used Red Mage as their subjob for Monk and then argued about it with people who tried to tell them that there were much more effective options. "Brady Games noob" eventually became used as a pejorative by the community.

Waltzing Along
Jun 14, 2008

There's only one
Human race
Many faces
Everybody belongs here
I'd post a picture of my strategy guides but am embarrassed that I bought these things, tbh.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

galagazombie
Oct 31, 2011

A silly little mouse!

QuarkJets posted:

I had a strategy guide for Final Fantasy 9 and even though that was toward the end of those kinds of books existing it was still full of nice illustrations and legit helpful suggestions

Strategy Guides (the officially licensed ones) were the only way to see all the cool concept art and official artwork back in the day. Now a days they sell art books or you can just copy paste the jpegs from online. Hell even fanart can be actually high quality these days. But it was mind blowing to see like, Amano’s art in an FF guide or a bunch of “high quality” cg renders in the Starfox 64 guide back when the only thing you could see was boxart (which America always ruined) and your friends terrible scribbles on a piece of college ruled he made in math class.