Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Devorum
Jul 30, 2005

precision posted:

KRAMER: I bet I could go longer than you without channeling!
GEORGE: Please. You'll be weaving before you're out the door.
ELAINE: I want in.
JERRY: No way.
ELAINE: Why not?
KRAMER: It's not fair!
GEORGE: You're, you know...
JERRY: It's different for you! You don't see ghosts when you do it!

The way I reflexively hear and see this scene, followed by a bass line.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ONE YEAR LATER
Apr 13, 2004

Fry old buddy, it's me, Bender!
Oven Wrangler
It wasn't the beginning Jerry!
- Not the beginning?
No! And it wasn't the ending either!
- Now you're messing with me. Not the beginning or the ending?
Nope, neither! But it was a beginning!

How are u
May 19, 2005

by Azathoth
Uncanny. It works so well.

LochNessMonster
Feb 3, 2005

I need about three fitty

ONE YEAR LATER posted:

It wasn't the beginning Jerry!
- Not the beginning?
No! And it wasn't the ending either!
- Now you're messing with me. Not the beginning or the ending?
Nope, neither! But it was a beginning!

If only a thread title could be this long.

Data Graham
Dec 28, 2009

📈📊🍪😋

I’ve been watching Seinfeld for the first time over the past couple months and this is the best turn the thread has yet taken

Skyl3lazer
Aug 27, 2007

[Dooting Stealthily]

The episode where Elaine dates a warder, but worries that his Aes Sedai isn't masking their bond when they bang.

Electro-Boogie Jack
Nov 22, 2006
bagger mcguirk sent me.

Trollocs attack a deli, forcing George to choose between saving his mother and saving his lunch. Jerry's newest girlfriend turns out to be an aes sedai, but despite her inability to lie he's pretty sure he isn't getting the truth from her, and it starts to drive him crazy. Kramer discovers that Newman is channeling the one power again.

Electro-Boogie Jack fucked around with this message at 21:23 on Dec 31, 2021

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames
edit wait I can do this better

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames
GEORGE: So, the other night, Susan got a massage.
JERRY: So what?
GEORGE: Well, you know... because of the bond... I feel what she feels, yadda yadda...
JERRY: Oh yeah. Weird, wild stuff. That must've been a treat for you, Georgie boy! Free massage, not too shabby.
GEORGE: The masseuse was male, though. And Susan... got excited... which meant I got excited...
JERRY: Oh no.
GEORGE: ....I think it moved.

IRQ
Sep 9, 2001

SUCK A DICK, DUMBSHITS!

I finally finished this, and I really can't think of anything positive to say about it. Lan turned out pretty good I guess?

I think the inability to get into characters' heads is making it very hard to do this adaptation justice. Among other things. Like, you hosed up pretty hard when a middling fps from 22 years ago had a better Shadar Logoth than you did with $80,000,000.

Mayor Dave
Feb 20, 2009

Bernie the Snow Clown

Bip Roberts posted:

So if the first row of windows on that wall were 40 feet higher would the trollics ever have gotten through?

The trollocs would have taken more damage using their picks and hammers to dig through a solid wall instead of the arrow slits but they definitely had tools that would work

Mayor Dave fucked around with this message at 00:06 on Jan 1, 2022

AnEdgelord
Dec 12, 2016

IRQ posted:

I finally finished this, and I really can't think of anything positive to say about it. Lan turned out pretty good I guess?

I think the inability to get into characters' heads is making it very hard to do this adaptation justice. Among other things. Like, you hosed up pretty hard when a middling fps from 22 years ago had a better Shadar Logoth than you did with $80,000,000.

yeah they dropped the ball pretty hard with everything surrounding Shadar Logoth

Grundulum
Feb 28, 2006
I’ve complained a lot (not only here) about the last couple of episodes of season one, but as I think about the whole season, I’m impressed. The show’s writers took a hacksaw to Eye of the World, but they put it back together in a way that still hit most of the main story elements without any major gaps (I expected the lack of Baerlon and Caemlyn to be a problem, but I was pleased at how the season hung together even without them). And they found a way to add content beyond the book for extra development of characters whose heads we can’t inhabit due to the difference in storytelling medium.

Of course the show would have benefitted from two additional hours for the season; that first episode was terribly rushed, and Rand/Mat’s journey to Tar Valon should also have been developed further (maybe we could have seen them sell/lose their horses :v:). And the last two episodes pretty desperately needed additional time in the writers’ room. Whatever the reason, they pulled that script out of the oven before it was done. Given the strength of the middle part of the season, though, I think they get the benefit of the doubt for an entire season without sudden Covid protocols or main actors leaving the production. And if season 3+ gets ten or twelve—or even more—episodes, then the writers might have enough time to do solid world-building on-screen rather than leaving so much to trivia not everyone can even access.

sweet geek swag
Mar 29, 2006

Adjust lasers to FUN!

Grundulum posted:

I’ve complained a lot (not only here) about the last couple of episodes of season one, but as I think about the whole season, I’m impressed. The show’s writers took a hacksaw to Eye of the World, but they put it back together in a way that still hit most of the main story elements without any major gaps (I expected the lack of Baerlon and Caemlyn to be a problem, but I was pleased at how the season hung together even without them). And they found a way to add content beyond the book for extra development of characters whose heads we can’t inhabit due to the difference in storytelling medium.

Of course the show would have benefitted from two additional hours for the season; that first episode was terribly rushed, and Rand/Mat’s journey to Tar Valon should also have been developed further (maybe we could have seen them sell/lose their horses :v:). And the last two episodes pretty desperately needed additional time in the writers’ room. Whatever the reason, they pulled that script out of the oven before it was done. Given the strength of the middle part of the season, though, I think they get the benefit of the doubt for an entire season without sudden Covid protocols or main actors leaving the production. And if season 3+ gets ten or twelve—or even more—episodes, then the writers might have enough time to do solid world-building on-screen rather than leaving so much to trivia not everyone can even access.

I'm just not sure the show will survive another truncated season like this. Luckily a lot more of the stuff from book 2 is inessential, so they probably have more leeway overall.

Neo Rasa
Mar 8, 2007
Everyone should play DUKE games.

:dukedog:

Shageletic posted:

What was the tell again?

Maybe I'm mistaken but they don't ever say. And if they don't its just another thing where the show is depending on the goodwill and work of the audience to try to piece together a coherent narrative.

The literally show her on a balcony listening to the wind

RandomReader
Nov 17, 2021

Neo Rasa posted:

Did you misquote? Listening to the wind is neither a tell, nor something Lan can do.

Hargrimm
Sep 22, 2011

W A R R E N

Neo Rasa posted:

They show her trying and failing to listen to the wind on the balcony, Egwene has to step up and do it to hear to Trolloc army coming. "Listening to the wind" is a bit of whatever the WoT equivalent to hedge wizardry is, it's a use of the Power only doable by channelers even if they don't know that's what it is, and so it's not something she could show Lan how to do either. The "tell" is not explained since it's just a macguffin to get Lan to the Eye in the worst-written way possible.

Valentin
Sep 16, 2012

Finally watched. This is objectively and straightforwardly just not a very good finale. You can see all the seams from the rewrite, and not even in a way I'm particularly inclined to give them extra credit for effort on, since even your first draft should really be better than "the horses charged across an empty field to their own fortress, for reasons" and "she tracked them due to an unspecified tell". Genuinely dreck. And there's some choices, like Egwene resurrecting Nynaeve, which both seem like absolutely moronic choices AND seem likely to have been made prior to the COVID/production issues rewrites, so who knows what's up with that.

Looking back, it feels particularly hard to justify some of the mid-season writing decisions they made. If they were going to put more emphasis on Lan and Moiraine due to them being 1 and 2 on the call sheet (a decision I wholeheartedly agree with, as they're easily the best actors and seem to have the most going on dramatically speaking; I wasn't even sure I'd finish out the show until Lan's ritual mourning), they probably should have factored into the finale somehow. The whole Stepin episode is basically a character study for Lan, who makes exactly zero relevant or important choices that we needed that understanding for. Feels like it either should have spent much more time with the Two Rivers folks or revised the ending to include more Moiraine and Lan, instead of splitting the difference.

That said, I'm deeply fascinated by their decision to position this as a show where Rand wins because he drank his respect women juice today, I am a HUGE fan of Rosamund Pike's performance, and I cannot wait to see how they'll handle the Mat recasting, so I'm absolutely going to keep watching as the show moves past territory I am already familiar with (vaguely, read TEotW once like a decade ago). My partner who hasn't read anything agrees it's got some serious and obvious flaws but absolutely loves it, fwiw.

Also, Padan Fain is excellent, and I cannot wait to see him do more next season. It's such a fun performance.

Valentin fucked around with this message at 04:30 on Jan 2, 2022

Jimbot
Jul 22, 2008

I liked the show quite a lot. The first episode and finale were the weakest link in the whole thing but the rest were really solid with a few stumbles here and there. I only read the first book and part of the second (I'll probably finish up the second book but end it there) so I know some of the changes and I really have no strong opinions one way or the other except maybe for liking the show versions of Lan, Moiraine and Nynaeve better than their book counterparts. The casting was excellent overall.

CainFortea
Oct 15, 2004

I don't understand why people thinking that payoffs not happening in the same episode or season is a flaw.

Neo Rasa
Mar 8, 2007
Everyone should play DUKE games.

:dukedog:

Hargrimm posted:

They show her trying and failing to listen to the wind on the balcony, Egwene has to step up and do it to hear to Trolloc army coming. "Listening to the wind" is a bit of whatever the WoT equivalent to hedge wizardry is, it's a use of the Power only doable by channelers even if they don't know that's what it is, and so it's not something she could show Lan how to do either. The "tell" is not explained since it's just a macguffin to get Lan to the Eye in the worst-written way possible.

Obviously this isn't something she taught Lan how to do, but Lan is aware from earlier in the season that she had some technique to track them down with. So she didn't need to explain to him in detail because he already knows she's using a method that's not typical for the official Aes Sedai or like the bond Lan has. She eventually was able to find out where they ran off to while she was up there and then told Lan where they went.

There were a lot of things I thought were stupid about this last episode but this seemed pretty cut and dry to me.

Grundulum
Feb 28, 2006

Neo Rasa posted:

Obviously this isn't something she taught Lan how to do, but Lan is aware from earlier in the season that she had some technique to track them down with. So she didn't need to explain to him in detail because he already knows she's using a method that's not typical for the official Aes Sedai or like the bond Lan has. She eventually was able to find out where they ran off to while she was up there and then told Lan where they went.

There were a lot of things I thought were stupid about this last episode but this seemed pretty cut and dry to me.

If I recall correctly, Nynaeve’s words to Lan in episode 8 were along the lines of “back when I was tracking you (in eps 1-3), I wasn’t tracking you. I was tracking Moiraine because she leaves a particular kind of trace”. In the next shot, Lan is somehow following Moiraine and Rand into the Blight, suggesting that Nynaeve absolutely informed Lan what the trace was, and furthermore that Lan is able to follow it. Nynaeve has no clue where Moiraine and Rand are heading, and neither does Lan—if he did know where the Eye was, he would have followed already since he isn’t an idiot and knows what Moiraine’s plan was.

Morrow
Oct 31, 2010
Yeah I may have just glossed over that scene but it seemed pretty clear to me that Lan knew where they were because it was his own homeland and he could just beeline straight for the Eye.

Dingleberry2
Jul 23, 2001

Yes, Nynaeve's tell for Moraine was to track a horse, because the time she was supposedly following Moiraine's tracks were when she was unconscious and being carried by horse by Perrin and then Lan.

And that's why it made no sense and people were annoyed by it. She could have easily said Rand had a tell because she's known him for twenty years and they all followed each other around in the woods plenty of times. Then Lan could have tracked Rand to the Eye and then there's no continuity issue and Lan doesn't come off looking like an idiot for not knowing something about Moiraine's trail patterns, even though he's explicitly shown to be checking their backtrail in episode 2.

Dingleberry2
Jul 23, 2001

Morrow posted:

Yeah I may have just glossed over that scene but it seemed pretty clear to me that Lan knew where they were because it was his own homeland and he could just beeline straight for the Eye.

And that was the other annoying thing, Moraine was making no secret of heading for the Eye. So why wouldn't he just make a beeline for it himself? It was just poorly thought out and written.

Valentin
Sep 16, 2012

CainFortea posted:

I don't understand why people thinking that payoffs not happening in the same episode or season is a flaw.

I think the issue is more that except for Rand deciding to reject temptation because he respects Egwene as a human being (something they made an effort to thread throughout the season), there is almost nothing in this season I'd call "payoff" for literally anything. Almost nothing that happens in the final episode feels like it meaningfully pays off something in the season that preceded it except for that, in either a fun genre "oh, yes, of course that's the logical implication of how the One Power works, which we have explored all season" way, or in a "ah, yes, this is a sensible, fitting, and interesting payoff to this character's arc" way. Not everything has to pay off in the same episode or season. But generally at least a few things pay themselves off within an episode and then again within a season.

Valentin fucked around with this message at 10:28 on Jan 2, 2022

Meatgrinder
Jul 11, 2003

Te Occidere Possunt Sed Te Edere Non Possunt Nefas Est

precision posted:

KRAMER: I bet I could go longer than you without channeling!
GEORGE: Please. You'll be weaving before you're out the door.
ELAINE: I want in.
JERRY: No way.
ELAINE: Why not?
KRAMER: It's not fair!
GEORGE: You're, you know...
JERRY: It's different for you! You don't see ghosts when you do it!

Who Needs Enemies: George tells Jerry he's become a Darkfriend in exchange for eternal parking in New York. Kramer tries to become a Darkfriend too but is disqualified 'because of his past'. Jerry wants to know if Elaine ever faked their bond when he was her Warder. Newman turns out to be the Dragon Reborn.

LochNessMonster
Feb 3, 2005

I need about three fitty

Meatgrinder posted:

Who Needs Enemies: George tells Jerry he's become a Darkfriend in exchange for eternal parking in New York. Kramer tries to become a Darkfriend too but is disqualified 'because of his past'. Jerry wants to know if Elaine ever faked their bond when he was her Warder. Newman turns out to be the Dragon Reborn.

I almost thought you spelled Elayne wrong.

Trapick
Apr 17, 2006

Dingleberry2 posted:

And that was the other annoying thing, Moraine was making no secret of heading for the Eye. So why wouldn't he just make a beeline for it himself? It was just poorly thought out and written.
Maybe you need the one power to find it? Or find a good path to it? But yeah those are all excuses, it was just bad writing. Should have tracked Rand instead.

tsob
Sep 26, 2006

Chalalala~
I find it pretty silly too that after travelling through the Blight for hours and passing Malkier that Rand could still spot Tarwin's Gap through a gap in the infected trees of the Blight. It makes it seem like the Eye of the World is only a few miles from Fal Dara. Which doesn't really sit well with the idea the Blight is ever creeping further South; more every year as Moiraine said. It must be doing so on geological time scales if it's only gotten that far in 3,000 years.

Rarity
Oct 21, 2010

~*4 LIFE*~
It also implies that Malkier was loving tiny

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Why! Why!! Why must you refuse to accept that Dr. Hieronymous Alloy's Genetically Enhanced Cream Corn Is Superior to the Leading Brand on the Market!?!

Morbid Hound
I think we have to assume that time and space are funky around the Eye.

etalian
Mar 20, 2006

Valentin posted:

Also, Padan Fain is excellent, and I cannot wait to see him do more next season. It's such a fun performance.

Two Rivers was a inside job

Hughmoris
Apr 21, 2007
Let's go to the abyss!

etalian posted:

Two Rivers was a inside job

Padan Fain did nothing wrong.

IRQ
Sep 9, 2001

SUCK A DICK, DUMBSHITS!

Rarity posted:

It also implies that Malkier was loving tiny

Like everything else in this show was.

etalian
Mar 20, 2006

Hughmoris posted:

Padan Fain did nothing wrong.

Also a army of torch carrying Trollocs wasn't noticed by anyone.

Obviously a inside job by aes sedai to justify their castle tower luxury lifestyle.

Morrow
Oct 31, 2010
Padan Fain was one of the highlights of the season and getting more of him in season two is vital.

Data Graham
Dec 28, 2009

📈📊🍪😋

In general the show had a heck of a time conveying traveling large distances over monotonous terrain.

Like nobody thought about montages for the Ways or the Blight, instead just have them keep walking back and forth slowly across the same tiny set for shot after shot

Jeff the Mediocre
Dec 30, 2013

Hieronymous Alloy posted:

I think we have to assume that time and space are funky around the Eye.

Now I have this image in my head of the Eye just playing disco music around it. Which would own.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pleads
Jun 9, 2005

pew pew pew

Data Graham posted:

In general the show had a heck of a time conveying traveling large distances over monotonous terrain.

Like nobody thought about montages for the Ways or the Blight, instead just have them keep walking back and forth slowly across the same tiny set for shot after shot

This post made me realize the only travel montage I can think of was the Aes Sedai heading to Tar Valon. Everything else was either a traveling shot immediately into a scene, or a scene while-traveling that lead to some long pan and fade or something.

Holy cow. They walked the equivalent distance of like 3/4th of the continental US and there's very little indication aside from some One Month Later stuff.