Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
How many quarters after Q1 2016 till Marissa Mayer is unemployed?
1 or fewer
Her job is guaranteed; what are you even talking about?
View Results

PT6A
Jan 5, 2006

Public school teachers are callous dictators who won't lift a finger to stop children from peeing in my plane

VideoGameVet posted:

Offer better rates at the times when you don't have higher usage seems to do the trick. Like midnight to 6:00AM.

Most EV's can do scheduled charging.

What happens when every car in America is scheduled to charge from midnight to 6, rather than a handful? Does our grid still handle that without problems, over a heatwave or a cold snap where heating/AC is still running overnight?

I don't know if it is a problem, but I haven't seen any numbers saying it's definitely not going to be an issue and it seems like something we should probably consider given incidents like in Texas last winter.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Main Paineframe
Oct 27, 2010

PT6A posted:

What happens when every car in America is scheduled to charge from midnight to 6, rather than a handful? Does our grid still handle that without problems, over a heatwave or a cold snap where heating/AC is still running overnight?

I don't know if it is a problem, but I haven't seen any numbers saying it's definitely not going to be an issue and it seems like something we should probably consider given incidents like in Texas last winter.

The Texas grid problems were because their power generation equipment wasn't winterized and a significant portion of it froze, and also because Texas intentionally isolated their power grid from the rest of the country so they wouldn't be subject to federal regulation.

Power generation will need to be scaled up somewhat to handle electric cars, but the ability to schedule charging to off-peak times when power usage is at its minimum will help a LOT, especially as electric car usage slowly ramps up.

Antigravitas
Dec 8, 2019

Die Rettung fuer die Landwirte:
Climate change and urgent decarbonisation should be acting as an extra incentive to reduce car dependency and develop better cities. Alas…

The primacy of the car is extremely difficult to challenge.

PT6A
Jan 5, 2006

Public school teachers are callous dictators who won't lift a finger to stop children from peeing in my plane

Main Paineframe posted:

The Texas grid problems were because their power generation equipment wasn't winterized and a significant portion of it froze, and also because Texas intentionally isolated their power grid from the rest of the country so they wouldn't be subject to federal regulation.

Power generation will need to be scaled up somewhat to handle electric cars, but the ability to schedule charging to off-peak times when power usage is at its minimum will help a LOT, especially as electric car usage slowly ramps up.

Yeah, I'm saying we need to start developing the infrastructure now because you can't just whip up a new powerplant overnight and improve transmission when you decide you need it. It's a tractable problem, but only if we start addressing it now.

Given our worldwide response to COVID, though, I'm pessimistic about our ability to solve problems before they happen.

MickeyFinn
May 8, 2007
Biggie Smalls and Junior Mafia some mark ass bitches

VideoGameVet posted:

Offer better rates at the times when you don't have higher usage seems to do the trick. Like midnight to 6:00AM.

Most EV's can do scheduled charging.

Homeowner spotted. I don’t agree with this. I think we should increase taxes significantly on single family homes, with low density penalties, so that the largest users of roadways pay for their tremendous use of resources and then use some of that money to build up charging and power transmission infrastructure.

Nenonen
Oct 22, 2009

Mulla on aina kolkyt donaa taskussa

Antigravitas posted:

Climate change and urgent decarbonisation should be acting as an extra incentive to reduce car dependency and develop better cities. Alas…

The primacy of the car is extremely difficult to challenge.

Once you live at FEMA camps because the entire continent has either burned down or drowned you won't be needing cars anymore, so it's a self-fixing problem.

Konstantin
Jun 20, 2005
And the Lord said, "Look, they are one people, and they have all one language; and this is only the beginning of what they will do; nothing that they propose to do will now be impossible for them.
Even then, there are a lot of cars on the road, and even off peak demand can be high in unusual circumstances. I'm sure you remember last February, it would have been much worse if thousands of people were trying to charge their EVs. One other issue is that electric cars simply don't last as long. A well built ICE car can last 20-30 years with regular maintenance. Most electric car batteries have a 10-15 year lifespan, and replacing them costs more than the car is worth. I've already heard of people getting burned by buying used Teslas and being hit with a five figure battery replacement a year or two later.

Baronash
Feb 29, 2012

So what do you want to be called?
PT6A, I was interested in the answer to this question, so I decided to see what the impact would be if there were a nationwide mandate that all new cars sold were electric.

Ignoring 2020, there are about 17 million new vehicles sold in the US each year.

I can't find a good source for average battery capacity in an EV. I used this Car and Driver article that quotes usable capacities of between 60 and 100 kWh in models from Tesla and BMW, so I'm going with 75 kWh. This would probably be on the low side if you saw an EV mandate come in place, as larger vehicles necessitate larger batteries. With the 300-400 miles range of many of these EVs, we'll say you would do the equivalent of a full charge once a week.

17 million cars with 75 kWh batteries all charging once a week for a full year would require 66.3 billion kWh of energy. Total US yearly energy consumption is 4 trillion kWh. So EVs would require 1.66% more generation capacity than you would otherwise expect in a year. However, most EV charging is done at home, and residential electrical use only accounts for 22% of total energy consumption. EVs would thus represent about a 7.5% yearly increase in residential energy consumption. e: To clarify, that would be the growth year over year until full replacement with EVs, with an upper bound at roughly 900 billion kWh.

Obviously, this is all just napkin math based on incomplete data and a whole lot of assumptions.

Baronash fucked around with this message at 00:19 on Jan 1, 2022

NightGyr
Mar 7, 2005
I � Unicode
Also the average age of cars is 12 years, and there's 287 million total cars on the road, driving an average of 3.2 trillion miles a year.

Looking up some figures, the Model 3 averages about 300 wh/mi. So, if every car in the US was replaced with a model 3, we'd need an extra 1 quadrillion watt-hours of electricity, which is 25% of national energy consumption.

So literally every car going electric would increase national energy usage by 25%, or double residential usage.

Stexils
Jun 5, 2008

we can cut that figure in half by maintaining a 50% recall rate

Mr. Fall Down Terror
Jan 24, 2018

by Fluffdaddy

proletariando posted:

The best solution is to fund public transit to get cars off the road altogether, but instead the US government leaves all its problems to billionaire assholes to exploit figure out

its not exactly constitutional to fund public transit from the federal purse. the version of the government where that is possible is also a version of the government which has basically fifty years of solid leftist rule and constitutional amendment

i agree that more public transit and denser cities would be good, but blaming the US government for failing to bring this into existence is to admit that one doesn't know how to describe the problem let alone solve it

Mr. Fall Down Terror
Jan 24, 2018

by Fluffdaddy
i guess the first thing the federal government could to would be to fund research into time machines

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

Mr. Fall Down Terror posted:

its not exactly constitutional to fund public transit from the federal purse. the version of the government where that is possible is also a version of the government which has basically fifty years of solid leftist rule and constitutional amendment

Require them to allow mail carriers and they 100% do even if the Supreme Court doesn’t allow interstate commerce to work for it.

Lead out in cuffs
Sep 18, 2012

"That's right. We've evolved."

"I can see that. Cool mutations."

Nothingtoseehere posted:

It's better they use electricity than burn oil. This is even true if the same oil is burnt in power plants - greater efficenies of scale.

In terms of full-lifecycle carbon emissions, EVs only reduce those by about a third over ICEVs. In particular, those batteries take a lot of energy to mine, make, and transport. And it's almost certain that they'd need to be replaced over the lifetime of a car (or the entire car replaced sooner). So the manufacturing emissions for an EV are substantially worse than for an ICEV. Also the net reduction in emissions for EVs assumes a reasonable mix of non-fossil-fuel electricity.

Which is to say that in the case you suppose, where the same oil were burned in power plants, any economy of scale would almost certainly be dwarfed by the greater emissions in manufacturing the EV in the first place.

Lead out in cuffs
Sep 18, 2012

"That's right. We've evolved."

"I can see that. Cool mutations."

Main Paineframe posted:

Texas politicians have been pretty clear that the plan for all that off-peak energy production is to dump it into crypto mining, so...

Arsenic Lupin
Apr 12, 2012

This particularly rapid💨 unintelligible 😖patter💁 isn't generally heard🧏‍♂️, and if it is🤔, it doesn't matter💁.

https://twitter.com/cat5749/status/1476813266462539779

"Hidden in plain sight." SMDH. (Read the thread.)

Xarn
Jun 26, 2015
I am not reading a Twitter thread about NFT rubes being idiots.

Tuxedo Gin
May 21, 2003

Classy.

It's funny because they paid money for what amounts to a third party turning their bank statement into an Instagram "memories of the year" post but on the blockchain! and then, of course since this is crypto, the third party was a scammer and did a pump and dump

Kyte
Nov 19, 2013

Never quacked for this
It's funnier than that.

So the token's contract had a little function that is called in every transaction (create coin, transfer coin, destroy coin). All it does it check if the destination is the owner's address and if it does, it errors out.
But the owner can change the ownership of the token.

So after a while, the owner changed the ownership to one of the biggest exchanges. Now nobody can cash out because part of the process involves a transfer to the exchange (which is now erroring), so the coins accumulate inside the exchange, at which point the guy can just drain the exchange of its coins.
(or something like that, I don't quite understand ethereum infrastructure)

Apparently the so-called verifiers didn't think the implications of the "programming error". Which are really loving obvious.

Inferior Third Season
Jan 15, 2005

PT6A posted:

Having tons of electric cars on the grid is thought to be stabilizing. While it's possible to set a car to charge at particular hours, if you are on a grid that allows spot pricing (this will presumably become more widespread with more electric cars being adopted), you could tell it to charge to have enough for 100 miles or whatever for your commute the next day plus some safety factor, and then after that to buy more juice if the price is below x and to sell if it is above y. If everyone is doing this, it would even out a lot the highs and lows of the daily electrical demand (as well as even out the daily spot pricing curve), effectively converting a lot of expensive load-following demand into cheap baseload demand (with the baseload demand being at a somewhat higher level than before, but with the load-following peaks being much lower). You'd also have thousands of small generators and sinks in the grid to handle the load fluctuations quite efficiently (I don't actually know the ramp-up time for the batteries, but I imagine it is quite fast, so I'm pretty sure they could easily be used for load-following demand).

You'd still be fairly boned in a sustained power outage over many days or weeks. Gas generators for emergency situations will probably need to be available on a wider basis than they are today.

Main Paineframe
Oct 27, 2010

Tuxedo Gin posted:

It's funny because they paid money for what amounts to a third party turning their bank statement into an Instagram "memories of the year" post but on the blockchain! and then, of course since this is crypto, the third party was a scammer and did a pump and dump

It was also supposed to give people tokens based on how high the numbers on their "memories of the year" post were that year. The more active you were on NFT marketplaces, the more tokens you'd get.

Which is a pretty obvious warning sign that someone's targeting whales, but hey, no one said crypto folks weren't gullible.

Capt.Whorebags
Jan 10, 2005

PT6A posted:

Yes, I agree... do we have the capacity to generate and distribute all that electricity?

Again: we have brownouts whenever it's too hot or too cold, already, without that extra demand on the grid. It's a solvable problem, but are we currently solving it? This is not "I don't think electric vehicles will work," it's "what do we need to do to make sure that electric vehicles work?" and it seems important to make sure all the bases are covered.

For the hot day brownouts, the challenge is that people want to use electricity all in the afternoon peak when the day is hottest and the grid is also straining from the heat. But cars don't necessarily need to charge at that time.

Even better, if your Tesla has a 400km range on a full charge but your commute only needs 80km a day, sell back half of your vehicle battery capacity during the afternoon peak and then recharge again at night. Vehicle - to - grid (V2G) is going to take a whole heap of tariff reform, and it assumes you have a connection at your house/business that can usefully do it, but it is being investigated.

A challenge is that people really don't logically price convenience. You can offer time of use tariffs to encourage cooling/heating your house during the off peak and then just maintaining that temperature, but if it involves any kind of inconvenience then consumers expect a $50 saving per day, rather than the $1 - $5 per day that they'll actually save.

VideoGameVet
May 14, 2005

It is by caffeine alone I set my bike in motion. It is by the juice of Java that pedaling acquires speed, the teeth acquire stains, stains become a warning. It is by caffeine alone I set my bike in motion.

MickeyFinn posted:

Homeowner spotted. I don’t agree with this. I think we should increase taxes significantly on single family homes, with low density penalties, so that the largest users of roadways pay for their tremendous use of resources and then use some of that money to build up charging and power transmission infrastructure.

Nope. Renter since 2002 after the dot-com crash and subsequent forced home sale.

I charge at home at 110v because the duplex I rent has a mis-wired dryer outlet that I assumed was 220v but it's not.

Turns out to be ok anyway.

Cost to drive from San Diego to Vegas in charging fees (EVGo, Charge Point)? $15.00

Not a Tesla. Kia.

I could deal with no home charger if I had to because the charging infrastructure here is decent.

VideoGameVet
May 14, 2005

It is by caffeine alone I set my bike in motion. It is by the juice of Java that pedaling acquires speed, the teeth acquire stains, stains become a warning. It is by caffeine alone I set my bike in motion.

Lead out in cuffs posted:

In terms of full-lifecycle carbon emissions, EVs only reduce those by about a third over ICEVs. In particular, those batteries take a lot of energy to mine, make, and transport. And it's almost certain that they'd need to be replaced over the lifetime of a car (or the entire car replaced sooner). So the manufacturing emissions for an EV are substantially worse than for an ICEV. Also the net reduction in emissions for EVs assumes a reasonable mix of non-fossil-fuel electricity.

Which is to say that in the case you suppose, where the same oil were burned in power plants, any economy of scale would almost certainly be dwarfed by the greater emissions in manufacturing the EV in the first place.

Yep. We need decent mass transit.

Also one trend I see around here is a huge increase in eBikes. As in Parents taking young children to school on the back of eBikes and, for the first time in decades, lots of 10-15 year olds not depending on parents shuffling them around in land yachts. The kids are happier to drive their Rad Power Bikes around and I suppose the parents are happy not to have to drive them everywhere.

Me? I spend more time on my bike than the car.

I don't think I would have gotten the new EV in August 2020 if it wasn't for a job in LA and the inadvisability of taking Amtrak (with my bike) as I did for a different LA gig from 2018 to 2020. I actually got COVID on my last Amtrak trip at the end of January 2020. Suffered for a week. Wife suffered a bit more.

Xand_Man
Mar 2, 2004

If what you say is true
Wutang might be dangerous

Arsenic Lupin posted:

https://twitter.com/cat5749/status/1476813266462539779

"Hidden in plain sight." SMDH. (Read the thread.)

I'm not up on crypto terminology, is there another meaning or is burnMechanism() just a giant red flag of a function name?

pairofdimes
May 20, 2001

blehhh

Xand_Man posted:

I'm not up on crypto terminology, is there another meaning or is burnMechanism() just a giant red flag of a function name?

That sounds like the crypto equivalent of scam emails having bad spelling and grammar so only stupid people respond.

Dr. Arbitrary
Mar 15, 2006

Bleak Gremlin
Assuming I'm reading the Etherscan stuff properly, there's still people getting sucked into this, and posting desperate comments trying to undo it, and they're getting targeted by other scammers offering to help them recover their money.

This is definitely a sign of a healthy ecosystem for sure.

Jose Valasquez
Apr 8, 2005

Xand_Man posted:

A lot of shitcoins include “burns” as a way to “guarantee” the price goes up over time. If you artificially reduce the coins in circulation the price of the remaining coins goes up!

Tuxedo Gin
May 21, 2003

Classy.

I was going to buy groceries but the guy who programmed my money forgot a semicolon and now my family is starving.

aniviron
Sep 11, 2014

https://www.hd.square-enix.com/eng/news/2022/html/a_new_years_letter_from_the_president_2.html

turns out we've been playing games wrong, the future of games is earning nfts.

Rent-A-Cop
Oct 15, 2004

I posted my food for USPOL Thanksgiving!

aniviron posted:

https://www.hd.square-enix.com/eng/news/2022/html/a_new_years_letter_from_the_president_2.html

turns out we've been playing games wrong, the future of games is earning nfts.
EVE already did a scam-based MMO economy though.

Arsenic Lupin
Apr 12, 2012

This particularly rapid💨 unintelligible 😖patter💁 isn't generally heard🧏‍♂️, and if it is🤔, it doesn't matter💁.

https://twitter.com/ThePracticalDev/status/1477452084693942284

I hate the human race. (The article is about "dark patterns" to force users to turn Javascript on.)

Epic High Five
Jun 5, 2004

Tuxedo Gin posted:

I was going to buy groceries but the guy who programmed my money forgot a semicolon and now my family is starving.

hey look at the upside, now you're not paying 80 dollars in minting and 20 dollars in fees to process your 100 dollar grocery order

PT6A
Jan 5, 2006

Arsenic Lupin posted:

I hate the human race. (The article is about "dark patterns" to force users to turn Javascript on.)

Web design is hell.

You can either spend half your life talking clients out of horrible ideas and anti-patterns (and you still might not succeed) or you can just say "gently caress it," do what you're asked to do, and get paid. Every time you see something that's clearly stupid as gently caress, just know that at least one person involved in its creation knew it was a terrible idea but got tired of arguing.

Arsenic Lupin
Apr 12, 2012

quote:

Sixteen-year-old fullstack developer who is addicted to Next.js

Education
Homeschooled

Xand_Man
Mar 2, 2004

If what you say is true
Wutang might be dangerous

17 year old has bad opinions, regurgitates them onto internet

film at eleven

Main Paineframe
Oct 27, 2010

Arsenic Lupin posted:

Unironically posting a joke article from a teenager's blog here as something to complain about sure is an interesting negative anecdote about social media and human nature, but the teenager isn't the one who comes out of it looking the worst.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.

PT6A posted:

Web design is hell.

You can either spend half your life talking clients out of horrible ideas and anti-patterns (and you still might not succeed) or you can just say "gently caress it," do what you're asked to do, and get paid. Every time you see something that's clearly stupid as gently caress, just know that at least one person involved in its creation knew it was a terrible idea but got tired of arguing.

I feel like the Simpsons episode where Homer designs a car is a very familiar experience to many software designers.

Megillah Gorilla
Sep 22, 2003

If only all of life's problems could be solved by smoking a professor of ancient evil texts.

Bread Liar

Arsenic Lupin posted:

Sounds like a system to guarantee I never go back to any of their websites.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MiddleOne
Feb 17, 2011

Ghost Leviathan posted:

I feel like the Simpsons episode where Homer designs a car is a very familiar experience to many software designers.

Oh my god: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WPc-VEqBPHI