Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Red Metal
Oct 23, 2012

Let me tell you about Homestuck

Fun Shoe

central dogma posted:

Hey, we're all friends here. I reacted in shock is all. Like, I've spent several thousand hours in 14. If something is against TOS, even if no one has ever been banned for it in ten years, I'd nope the hell out.

Also, isn't the Games forum public or no?

Anyway, sorry if I upset anyone. It's out of my system now.

now i'm imagining someone lurking in this thread, furiously f5ing to catch people posting evidence of rulebreaking, carefully analyzing each screenshot posted to find any indication of modded textures or reshade being used

e: this was a terrible snipe

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Blueberry Pancakes
Aug 18, 2012

Jack in!! MegaMan, Execute!
I took a screenshot of something during the Ultima Thule (Level 90) section of Endwalker, forgot about it, and then suddenly saw it today and it make me laugh for reasons I'm not entirely sure of.

So here it is. Maybe someone else can explain to me why I find it amusing.

Ibram Gaunt
Jul 22, 2009

The only people getting in trouble are the ones messing with the settings to remove the GCD entirely or w/e. I don't think I've seen anyone get in trouble for using it """""as intended"""""

Still a bad plugin I don't like tho but im not going to snitch on people

Blueberry Pancakes
Aug 18, 2012

Jack in!! MegaMan, Execute!

sirtommygunn posted:

Yotsuyu was a good villain, though I feel like she was a better one when it seemed like she had died in the castle collapse. I know you're not supposed to believe a character is dead until you see a body in media but this was a bit extreme. It was a bit silly how easily she kept managing to escape house arrest but hey the story has to happen somehow.

Her brother is the absolute worst scum piece of poo poo, to the extent that it feels like it's going against the theme of the expansion that monsters are created, not born. He's always been a piece of poo poo, having barely changed from the little bastard who smugly grinned at his little sister's abuse. If anything, the only change in his character from the flashbacks to the moment he dies is that he learns to just barely contain his sadism behind a mask of politeness. Or maybe I'm just projecting because I also have a lovely older brother who takes joy in my suffering.

Stormblood patches spoilers.

I'm kind of surprised you felt bad for Yotsuyu compared to Fordola. At any rate, I do feel like it would've been better if she died at Doma Castle as opposed to surviving with amnesia. I know what the writers were going for, but the whole thing left a bad taste in my mouth, particularly with the girl in Namai getting angry at everyone else for being fearful of Yotsuyu despite the fact that this is the same woman who inflicted all kinds of horrors on them for years. Even if she has amnesia at the moment.

Also, yeah, Asahi and parents are almost comically evil. Even Lahabrea felt less over the top and every line out of his mouth is "blah blah darkness".

Hogama
Sep 3, 2011

Blueberry Pancakes posted:

Stormblood patches spoilers.
I'm kind of surprised you felt bad for Yotsuyu compared to Fordola. At any rate, I do feel like it would've been better if she died at Doma Castle as opposed to surviving with amnesia. I know what the writers were going for, but the whole thing left a bad taste in my mouth, particularly with the girl in Namai getting angry at everyone else for being fearful of Yotsuyu despite the fact that this is the same woman who inflicted all kinds of horrors on them for years. Even if she has amnesia at the moment.
Not that it makes a huge difference, but Yotsuyu is only made acting Viceroy after the failed rebellion that happened during ARR, and there's still a weird narrative time bubble where they haven't really committed to any signifcant passage of time since then. She's meant to be a relatively recent install, though. The follow-up patches in general are somewhat focused on a theme "what do you do when your side has won your rebellion; is the revolution over simply because the occupier is pushed out?" Yotsuyu is kind of necessary to continue that on the Doman side because she's the character already established with some legitimate grievances against pre-Imperial Doma (even if her response as viceroy was far beyond approaching reasonable) - everything about her life up until Zenos took an interest in her was strictly legal in Doma, and everyone in society high and low was happy to turn a blind eye to her suffering because, well, better her than them. Zenos was the first person who even asked how she felt about it all. Her existence is a complication to the newly-free Doma because she's a living reminder that things weren't all hunky-dory and perhaps society could still be improved somewhat and maybe things shouldn't simply go back to the old "normal." Tsuyu is kind of a glimpse of the life she would have wanted to have and the girl standing up for her is like the bare minimum of care anyone could have paid her before the Viceroy stint.

Algid
Oct 10, 2007

My ping is terrible enough I really should get xivalexander, I can't execute any of the 1s GCDs properly anymore, not even talking about weaving, just stuff like stringing 2 dance inputs properly.

MadFriarAvelyn
Sep 25, 2007

The Heart of Corundum upgrade GNB gets is really good.

Cicadalek
May 8, 2006

Trite, contrived, mediocre, milquetoast, amateurish, infantile, cliche-and-gonorrhea-ridden paean to conformism, eye-fucked me, affront to humanity, war crime, should *literally* be tried for war crimes, talentless fuckfest, pedantic, listless, savagely boring, just one repulsive laugh after another
I don't think even posting on a random forum about using a plugin will get you banned, because there's no hard evidence to link your forums account to your FFXIV account. Even if you regularly post screenshots from your game, who's to say you aren't just grabbing them from someone else's account and pretending to be them?

"Why would anyone do that?" you might ask. I have worked customer support for a few different online games, including MMOs, and there have been cases of people deliberately faking evidence to get other people banned for TOS violations. Imagine the PR fallout if a static going for a world-first clear got banned because a competing group photoshopped some screenshots of them using mods, and the FFXIV support team accepted it as evidence.

I imagine this is why using the mods on stream is one of the few reliable ways to get banned for using them, since that's very hard to fake. Most places I worked would 100% not accept a screenshot as evidence, never mind a forum post.

suicide4sexbots
Jul 24, 2015

caught in a hyperloop,
spun out into static -
you were never there,
i was never here

so why does my car
still smell like ass
College Slice
emote pays for itself

get wet u jerk

Free Alphi! Free Alis!

Fiye
Nov 23, 2021

No one can hide anything from me.
Your heart is in plain sight to me.

Cicadalek posted:

I don't think even posting on a random forum about using a plugin will get you banned, because there's no hard evidence to link your forums account to your FFXIV account. Even if you regularly post screenshots from your game, who's to say you aren't just grabbing them from someone else's account and pretending to be them?

I mean there are WoW streamers who stream with a modded UI thanks to ACT/Quick Launcher who don't get touched. (When there are at least two FFXIV streamers I'm aware of who've been slapped for harassment because of their streams). hell there was a video retweeted by the main FFXIV account that showed markers getting automatically swapped during TEA phases. This was subsequently patched and we got an ingame version of it. Nobody from that static got touched.

Not to mention if the people I regularly see warping to S-Ranks haven't gotten touched I imagine your account will be fine. The worse that'll happen is FFLogs will be able to figure it out and you'll get banned from there (But at the very least XIV Alexander is designed to be within the boundaries of fair play as long as you don't edit it). Just never do something that's easily recordable like /ac ungarmax.

Travic
May 27, 2007

Getting nowhere fast
So I usually tank in MMO's and one of the things that really annoys me is people running ahead and pulling stuff/being pushy or rude/don't wait for the healer/go faster type stuff. My general policy is if someone pulls before me they're tanking it. Can I get reported for that?

Fiye
Nov 23, 2021

No one can hide anything from me.
Your heart is in plain sight to me.

Travic posted:

So I usually tank in MMO's and one of the things that really annoys me is people running ahead and pulling stuff/being pushy or rude/don't wait for the healer/go faster type stuff. My general policy is if someone pulls before me they're tanking it. Can I get reported for that?

Just aoe near them and thank them for being a cooldown. There isn't usually raidwides during trash pulls in dungeons so they're taking damage that can be easily regen'd by whatever healer you got that's pressing oGCDs.

Countblanc
Apr 20, 2005

Help a hero out!
hopefully

Mysticblade
Oct 22, 2012

No, I don't think you can get reported for not taking aggro on mobs someone ran ahead and hit. They wouldn't be able to tell if you just missed it or not

Regy Rusty
Apr 26, 2010

Travic posted:

That's obnoxious on their part but it's also obnoxious on yours if you respond to rudeness with petulance. Just pick up the enemies and continue, no need to make a stink about it.

Chillgamesh
Jul 29, 2014

Regy Rusty posted:

That's obnoxious on their part but it's also obnoxious on yours if you respond to rudeness with petulance. Just pick up the enemies and continue, no need to make a stink about it.

Yep, if you're already on the way to a new trash pack anyway and someone gets ahead of you and pulls first just think of it as free mitigation when they eat a few autos for you

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

organize digital employees

This is what happens when you fixate too much on christian rock

central dogma
Feb 25, 2012

Come to the Undead Settlement in the next 20 mins if u want an ash kicking

Vitamean posted:

I don't use xivalexander, but thanks for typing out this raisinbrained post for me.

You swooped in here so fast to defend a tool you don't even use that I confused you for someone else. Apologies :downs:

^^ Can, uh, an illegal plugin be used to replace the Christian rock with something else? Such as the distorted (good) version when first entering the zone?

central dogma fucked around with this message at 07:00 on Jan 2, 2022

Clarste
Apr 15, 2013

Just how many mistakes have you suffered on the way here?

An uncountable number, to be sure.

ZenMasterBullshit posted:

IT's actually 3 tells. Big orb is center hit. Many small orbs is Cruise Chaser's shiva-like. Dark purple orbs are the spread mechanic.

The spread mechanic certainly has dark purple orbs, but it also has a different name on the castbar. It's like Experimental Fireplume for the first two, and Experimental Charplume for the the third. So if you're paying attention to the castbar you only need the visuals to distinguish the first three. Also unlike the other two the spread mechanic gives you enough time even if you're not paying attention ahead of time anyway.

Section 9
Mar 24, 2003

Hair Elf
I'm working on getting SMN levelled up and hit the level 60 Book quest. Is there some trick to this, cause it seems impossible. It looks like it is an artifact of when summons could tank because I go down in like 3 hits, and even if I bring in my chocobo buddy he dies quickly too. It at least isn't a requirement for a spell or anything so I can probably wait on it until I overlevel it by a good deal, but it seems like it would be a major showstopper for anyone trying to level SMN.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

Travic posted:

this isn't vanilla wow where picking up aggro is a struggle, if you have your tank stance on and even think about an enemy itll be latched to you for the rest of time. it doesnt even matter who pulls stuff. just aoe them and stop being a baby

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

Section 9 posted:

I'm working on getting SMN levelled up and hit the level 60 Book quest. Is there some trick to this, cause it seems impossible. It looks like it is an artifact of when summons could tank because I go down in like 3 hits, and even if I bring in my chocobo buddy he dies quickly too. It at least isn't a requirement for a spell or anything so I can probably wait on it until I overlevel it by a good deal, but it seems like it would be a major showstopper for anyone trying to level SMN.
It's definitely an artifact of that, this was a problem even in Shadowbringers. That said, do you have the Heavensward tomestone gear?

Runa
Feb 13, 2011

DPS running ahead of me was what taught me, as a newbie tank, that oh I can pull more than one pack at a time.

Going in with an open mind and a willingness to adapt works better in the long run than being stubborn and petty.

Antivehicular
Dec 30, 2011

I wanna sing one for the cars
That are right now headed silent down the highway
And it's dark and there is nobody driving And something has got to give

Section 9 posted:

That one is weirdly hard. I think I managed it by having my Chocobo in healer stance so it was focusing on healing me and drawing less aggro?

Mordiceius
Nov 10, 2007

If you think calling me names is gonna get a rise out me, think again. I like my life as an idiot!
https://twitter.com/FeistyWinter/status/1477333189970444291/photo/1

Begemot
Oct 14, 2012

The One True Oden

Section 9 posted:

Hmm, meaning the quest after you learn astral flow/deathflare? The quests at the start of an expansion usually expect you to have pretty good gear, so make sure you go spend some poetics in Ishgard. Also, since summoner is almost all instant-cast now, you can kite the monsters around while shooting spells at them, I remember it being pretty annoying.

But yeah, they stop tying skills to job quests after 60... except for the level 70 quest, which gives a really good one! So you can wait, but don't neglect it until level 80 or whatever.

Ferrinus
Jun 19, 2003

i'm finding this quite easy, i guess in part because i'm a fast type but also because i have a coherent mental model of the world

Such monetization... this was my intention!

Section 9
Mar 24, 2003

Hair Elf

Begemot posted:

Hmm, meaning the quest after you learn astral flow/deathflare? The quests at the start of an expansion usually expect you to have pretty good gear, so make sure you go spend some poetics in Ishgard. Also, since summoner is almost all instant-cast now, you can kite the monsters around while shooting spells at them, I remember it being pretty annoying.

But yeah, they stop tying skills to job quests after 60... except for the level 70 quest, which gives a really good one! So you can wait, but don't neglect it until level 80 or whatever.

Yeah, I have i270 gear. Tried it with choco on tank and healer (I lasted longer with healer.) The mob's attacks hit from pretty far away so kiting around the rock doesn't seem great. They also add poison and SMN apparently doesn't get Ensuna (maybe I need some antidote potions or something.) Really it just seems like a major oversight that they didn't adjust this with the job changes.

Oh wait...it's just out in the world. Can I have a friend tank/heal for it?

OddObserver
Apr 3, 2009

Section 9 posted:

So this isn't how it was intended, but with EW summoner got Sleep; it may be worth seeing if it helps things, if the problem is multiple enemies, as it lets you face them one at a time.

(It did used to have some defensive abilities in titan, and apparently before that you could use it as a tank...)

Edit: also radiant aegis and addle will make you take less damage, but probably not for long enough to matter.

OddObserver fucked around with this message at 07:47 on Jan 2, 2022

CJ
Jul 3, 2007

Asbungold

central dogma posted:

Jesus, imagine installing a plug in to squeeze 20 more potency out of an opener and getting banned for it. A hearty lol.

Edit: ^^ just saw your post. Good luck! Hope it's worth it <3

I don't know how much of a difference it makes on Monk, but on Gunbreaker it's a 10% damage increase between having it on or off. They decided it was a good idea to make Gunbreaker give up one of its oGCD slots after nearly action by default though so it might not be as big a difference for other classes.

The bigger problem is why the gently caress is the game coded so that it resets your animation lock after receiving acknowledgment from the server? The client knows when you pressed the button, it knows when it should end. It's not even that it's server authoritative, you can apparently modify XIVAlexander so that when the client receives the update from the server it thinks you pressed the button earlier than you did and gives you no animation lock, and the server accepts new inputs before you should be able to just fine.

central dogma posted:

You swooped in here so fast to defend a tool you don't even use that I confused you for someone else. Apologies :downs:

^^ Can, uh, an illegal plugin be used to replace the Christian rock with something else? Such as the distorted (good) version when first entering the zone?

Yup. Install "Orchestration" > do /porch > Replacements > Target song: 862, Replacement Song: 860.

Begemot
Oct 14, 2012

The One True Oden

Section 9 posted:

Yeah, I have i270 gear. Tried it with choco on tank and healer (I lasted longer with healer.) The mob's attacks hit from pretty far away so kiting around the rock doesn't seem great. They also add poison and SMN apparently doesn't get Ensuna (maybe I need some antidote potions or something.) Really it just seems like a major oversight that they didn't adjust this with the job changes.

Oh yeah, you absolutely could. People use that trick for leveling blue mage, you probably can't be in a party together for the quest to work but that doesn't stop them from being able to get aggro from the mobs or heal you.

Section 9
Mar 24, 2003

Hair Elf

Begemot posted:

Oh yeah, you absolutely could. People use that trick for leveling blue mage, you probably can't be in a party together for the quest to work but that doesn't stop them from being able to get aggro from the mobs or heal you.

I'll give it a try. I think I'm just so used to job quests being solo duties that didn't even occur to me as a possibility.

Edit: This seems to be a common issue with SMN in specific. I remember a year or so ago when they last made big changes to SMN and a friend had just started and ran into an essentially impossible solo duty quest for ARC around level 12 (the one with the pirate ship and tons of mobs) because of some changes to low level Carbuncles.

Section 9 fucked around with this message at 07:52 on Jan 2, 2022

Failboattootoot
Feb 6, 2011

Enough of this nonsense. You are an important mayor and this absurd contraption has wasted enough of your time.

Travic posted:

Don't tank in this game if you don't want to actually do the job?

Also yes, you can be reported for it. There's definitely wiggle room in the TOS for reporting it, but odds are it won't come to anything unless there's stuff said in the chat log. Short version is that if the other party members politely ask you to pick up the mobs and you don't, there's a case to be made under nuisance behavior.

Qwertycoatl
Dec 31, 2008

Section 9 posted:

Not sure about tanking, sometimes you aren't allowed to target other people's quest mobs, but they could definitely heal you.

Professor Beetus
Apr 12, 2007

They can fight us
But they'll never Beetus

central dogma posted:

Power ballads did in fact exist before Christian rock.

admanb
Jun 18, 2014

Calling that song "Christian Rock" really only makes sense if you spent way too much time forced to listen to Christian Rock and are traumatized by it.

It's just a fuckin' rock ballad.

limp dick calvin
Sep 1, 2006

Strepitoso. Vedete? Una meraviglia.

admanb posted:

Calling that song "Christian Rock" really only makes sense if you spent way too much time forced to listen to Christian Rock and are traumatized by it.

:yeah:

Resonance22
Dec 17, 2006

admanb posted:

Wait, what? This whole time I thought you guys were talking about Paladins.

Edit for actual content: Maybe it's just my state of mind, but I personally enjoyed the music in Shadowbringers quite a bit more than Endwalker. Or at least, there were a ton of Shadowbringer tracks that made me wish for the soundtrack ASAP, not as much for Endwalker. Same for the story. Shadowbringer just hit me way more emotionally, but again, maybe I'm just more dead inside these days.

Resonance22 fucked around with this message at 08:48 on Jan 2, 2022

Issaries
Sep 15, 2008

"At the end of the day
We are all human beings
My father once told me that
The world has no borders"

central dogma posted:

There is this third-party software called 'Spotify'.

Improves the game a lot.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Orcs and Ostriches
Aug 26, 2010

The Great Twist
Made a new Samurai glam. Notable for me for not being all black.