Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Pershing
Feb 21, 2010

John "Black Jack" Pershing
Hard Fucking Core

Douche4Sale posted:

They need the Home Depot style of having the gun at each register and letting you scan your stuff in the cart. Sometimes the attendant comes over and scans with their gun, but I always have everything barcode up in my cart and could be super efficient on my own.

Even if they had that I wouldn't use it. I don't use those at stores in general (I want a live cashier). Further, I think it's a bad fit for a warehouse club...I'm a member, I'm not scanning my stuff.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Renegret
May 26, 2007

THANK YOU FOR CALLING HELP DOG, INC.

YOUR POSITION IN THE QUEUE IS *pbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbt*

Cat Army Sworn Enemy

Jingleheimer posted:

It baffles me just how behind Costco is on a lot of things. They only just started pushing their online store like six years ago, and big surprise, they saw an immediate 30% increase in online sales. And their in store system is the same archaic AS400 system they've been using for like 30 years. They just refuse to spend money on improving anything unless they absolutely have to.

To be fair

Those AS400 inventory systems loving rule

ROJO
Jan 14, 2006

Oven Wrangler
My costco has the handheld scanners at the self checkout......

But you can't get booze through them, so I still wind up in the normal checkout line most times.

astral
Apr 26, 2004

Pershing posted:

Even if they had that I wouldn't use it. I don't use those at stores in general (I want a live cashier). Further, I think it's a bad fit for a warehouse club...I'm a member, I'm not scanning my stuff.

Condolences.

Chinatown
Sep 11, 2001

by Fluffdaddy
Fun Shoe

Roadie posted:

What Costco needs for the self checkout is to just copy Home Depot's setup top to bottom.

I say this to myself every time I use self checkout! Give me a drat scanner gun!!!

Pennywise the Frown
May 10, 2010

Upset Trowel

binge crotching posted:

Except Sam's is owned by Walmart, and gently caress ever giving them money.

Lutha Mahtin
Oct 10, 2010

Your brokebrain sin is absolved...go and shitpost no more!

Pershing posted:

:goonsay:

sams club has had self-checkout handheld scanners for years, and the time i tagged along with someone there and saw it, it was a slick setup. they even put a soda cup dispenser at each self-checkout line, so you can scan and pay for a fountain drink during your cart payment

large hands
Jan 24, 2006
Recommending s**s c**b in the Costco thread should be bannable

OldSenileGuy
Mar 13, 2001
Yeah there’s entirely too much sams club talk on the last two pages

BJs is an acceptable alternative in the absence of Costco, but never Sams club

Cockblocktopus
Apr 18, 2009

Since the beginning of time, man has yearned to destroy the sun.

The "self" checkout at my local warehouse is consistently staffed with 4-6 checkout staff (at a total of six registers). I always go that way since it's one or two lines feeding six checkouts and I've done my own start-to-finish checkout exactly once in my Costco career.

Soul Dentist
Mar 17, 2009
There's a secret staffed checkout on the back side of the self checkout area on my church. I always get in line there because it's quick but Costco employees will try and get me to go to self checkout. I'll do it but only if we make eye contact long enough for me to do a Groucho-style eyebrow waggle at their scanner gun and make sure I don't have to unload my cart

redreader
Nov 2, 2009

I am the coolest person ever with my pirate chalice. Seriously.

Dinosaur Gum
Instacart can get Costco stuff for you without a membership. Just tip generously.

Gaius Marius
Oct 9, 2012

Instacart people should be put in the pit from dark knight rises

pentyne
Nov 7, 2012

Douche4Sale posted:

They need the Home Depot style of having the gun at each register and letting you scan your stuff in the cart. Sometimes the attendant comes over and scans with their gun, but I always have everything barcode up in my cart and could be super efficient on my own.

Which is funny because Home Depot used to have the old style, scan on the surface then place on the scale, and it became the most notorious example of theft as people realized that slapping a 50 lb drill set on the scale meant it no longer had the sensitivity to detect smaller items so they were stealing tons of stuff that way for years and Home Depot had no way to prevent it.

Soul Dentist
Mar 17, 2009

Gaius Marius posted:

Instacart people should be put in the pit from dark knight rises

I could use more detail about this

OldSenileGuy
Mar 13, 2001

pentyne posted:

slapping a 50 lb drill set on the scale meant it no longer had the sensitivity to detect smaller items

what

I don’t think scales work that way

IOwnCalculus
Apr 2, 2003

Scales don't, but I would wager that every item has some +/- tolerance built in on "this should weigh X" to account for production variance and how calibrated (or not) the scale is.

The more poo poo that's on the scale, the larger those error bars become, so either it yells at you to put the thing on the scale that is sitting on the loving scale already, or it decides you've put something there that doesn't actually exist or match what's scanned.

FogHelmut
Dec 18, 2003

There's no situation where I'm not buying alcohol at Costco so self checkout is a non-starter.

Now give me the drat deli mustard.

jeeves
May 27, 2001

Deranged Psychopathic
Butler Extraordinaire
As someone who lives in Oregon, I definitely miss hard liquor at the Church.

Oh well, it probably keeps me from diving into alcoholism as I grow older thanks to that cheap $13 dollar white rum.

Paul MaudDib
May 3, 2006

TEAM NVIDIA:
FORUM POLICE

Renegret posted:

To be fair

Those AS400 inventory systems loving rule

The AS400 seems to be the one exception where Wirth's Law hasn't held true. A text based interface is archaic in these web-based times but the users actually love it, most places that switch to web-based POS/inventory/etc find it's less responsive and slower to work with. Users know the pages they need and can move around them efficiently.

If you wanted to do something equivalent today, you could probably get a lot of that flexibility with an ncurses based UI. There are libraries for curses/ncurses for Python and Java and all the other popular languages. I've played with Lanterna once and it worked ok.

Soul Dentist posted:

There's a secret staffed checkout on the back side of the self checkout area on my church. I always get in line there because it's quick but Costco employees will try and get me to go to self checkout. I'll do it but only if we make eye contact long enough for me to do a Groucho-style eyebrow waggle at their scanner gun and make sure I don't have to unload my cart

one of the costcos near me just puts scanner guns on every self-checkout so you can scan your own big items. I really like that, I'm sure it speeds things up a ton.

That store is definitely busier than the other one, maybe that's why that one in particular has them? To keep people moving through the self-checkouts as fast as possible?

Paul MaudDib fucked around with this message at 08:57 on Jan 2, 2022

Corn Glizzy
Jun 28, 2007

The self checks are amazing and I love them. No scanners for customer use yet but the attendants are always ready to blast the bigguns for ya in advance.

I would blow Dane Cook
Dec 26, 2008
as400 looks cool

binge crotching
Apr 2, 2010

FogHelmut posted:

There's no situation where I'm not buying alcohol at Costco so self checkout is a non-starter.

I've never had a problem buying booze at the self checkout, someone walks over to do an override within seconds of seeing me pull the bottles out of my cart.

priznat
Jul 7, 2009

Let's get drunk and kiss each other all night.
I did the costco.ca delivery at the start of the pandemic and didn’t realize it was a gig worker thing, I thought it was a costco in house thing which seems silly looking back.

I really don’t like the gig worker model and try not to use them so it was a disappointment. A couple things were wrong as well. Plus it’s way more expensive even before the fees and tip. One and done for me, will brave the stores when I have to!

Dr. Fraiser Chain
May 18, 2004

Redlining my shit posting machine

I thought the self checkout scam is to use products that weigh the same, or for grocery stores to use the weigh produce option to buy expensive stuff at the price per pound of bananas or similar

Douche4Sale
May 8, 2003

...and then God said, "Let there be douche!"

binge crotching posted:

I've never had a problem buying booze at the self checkout, someone walks over to do an override within seconds of seeing me pull the bottles out of my cart.

Some states (CA for sure) have laws that ban alcohol in the self checkout lane.

Rodney The Yam II
Mar 3, 2007

priznat posted:

I did the costco.ca delivery at the start of the pandemic and didn’t realize it was a gig worker thing, I thought it was a costco in house thing which seems silly looking back.

I really don’t like the gig worker model and try not to use them so it was a disappointment. A couple things were wrong as well. Plus it’s way more expensive even before the fees and tip. One and done for me, will brave the stores when I have to!

If you have a Costco membership it's not quite as expensive, but yeah the fees and such make it more expensive than going yourself. Nonetheless, with the promos and trials they throw at me to try and get me to go all-in I can afford to get a big Costco delivery every couple of weeks at minimal extra cost. For someone without a car, this means I pay just as much as I would have if I included the carshare rental, with the added bonus that I don't have to go out of my covid bunker. I'm grateful for the workers and tip generously so there is that overhead as well of course---I'd rather not support the gig economy but how else can I get multiple rotisserie chickens delivered hot to my doorstep? It's worth it for the 'tissie

Tiny Timbs
Sep 6, 2008

got the gravy going

sexy tiger boobs
Aug 23, 2002

Up shit creek with a turd for a paddle.

Your gravy is very red and full of tomatoes, weird.

Soul Dentist
Mar 17, 2009
No it's Sunday, that's normal.

FCKGW
May 21, 2006

Douche4Sale posted:

Some states (CA for sure) have laws that ban alcohol in the self checkout lane.

he's saying the attendant will come over to override anyways so just yolo

Lutha Mahtin
Oct 10, 2010

Your brokebrain sin is absolved...go and shitpost no more!

redreader posted:

Instacart can get Costco stuff for you without a membership. Just tip generously.

instacart is a poo poo company that treats their workers much worse than costco treats theirs

Knot My President!
Jan 10, 2005

I've been using this Presto HeatDish Satellite Space Heater for a month and it's saved my rear end in my apartment. It's only 1000 watts at max heat (and I never need it above half honsetly) so you don't have to worry about blowing ancient fuses, no annoying fan, and directional heating works incredibly well, A+ would recommend

jeeves
May 27, 2001

Deranged Psychopathic
Butler Extraordinaire
I bought my girlfriend a $45 standing small heater and she loves it. She basically takes it around to every room in our apt and has it pointing at her like half of every day now.

As I apparently don’t have coldness issues like her, I’ve definitely noticed the heat bill go down by her just using that versus using the central/apartment heating.

Thanks church!

Chinatown
Sep 11, 2001

by Fluffdaddy
Fun Shoe

jeeves posted:

I bought my girlfriend a $45 standing small heater and she loves it. She basically takes it around to every room in our apt and has it pointing at her like half of every day now.

As I apparently don’t have coldness issues like her, I’ve definitely noticed the heat bill go down by her just using that versus using the central/apartment heating.

Thanks church!

rip your power bill =[

Johnny Truant
Jul 22, 2008

Yeah electric heaters fuckin suck for cost vs. utility imo

Gaius Marius
Oct 9, 2012

jeeves posted:

Thanks church!

My dude have you heard of a sweater

jeeves
May 27, 2001

Deranged Psychopathic
Butler Extraordinaire

Gaius Marius posted:

My dude have you heard of a sweater

I've heard of it, my girlfriend is apparently an ice cold void that is a black hole of heat.

The electricity bill hasn't gone up much, so shrug?

I mean, do most small heaters also mine bitcoin or something?

jisforjosh
Jun 6, 2006

"It's J is for...you know what? Fuck it, jizz it is"

jeeves posted:

I've heard of it, my girlfriend is apparently an ice cold void that is a black hole of heat.

The electricity bill hasn't gone up much, so shrug?

I mean, do most small heaters also mine bitcoin or something?

Any electric heater is basically like running a full high-end gaming rig at full load for the entire time it's on. So yes it's like mining bitcoin without generating anything that could be exchanged to some nerd for money.

Anyway 32 Degrees thermals are cheaper and better on the electricity bill

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

bagmonkey
May 13, 2003

Grimey Drawer
Honestly for some poorly insulated places (see, my house, previous apartment, house I grew up in), using localized heating and keeping the overall heat lower can save a buuuuunch of money. I have a space heater I use in my basement WFH so that we can keep the house thermostat 2 degrees colder for the entire day