Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

90s Cringe Rock
Nov 29, 2006
:gay:

Cardiac posted:

I guess the Maturin series don’t contain sea dragons?
It's science fiction, not fantasy.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Groke
Jul 27, 2007
New Adventures In Mom Strength

Cardiac posted:

I guess the Maturin series don’t contain sea dragons?

Does have debauched sloths, though.

Larry Parrish
Jul 9, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
aurbury/martuin ftw. the RCN novels by David Drake scratch the same itch, and unlike many 'maritime novel translated to the future' books is actually good on its own merits. it's a similar character dynamic without being a retread, and it's a wildly different political situation, just reminiscent of the age of sail without feeling too engineered. It's really good and made me sad that Drake retired earlier this year lol.

Gnoman
Feb 12, 2014

Come, all you fair and tender maids
Who flourish in your pri-ime
Beware, take care, keep your garden fair
Let Gnoman steal your thy-y-me
Le-et Gnoman steal your thyme

The great virtue of the RCN books is that Drake is perfectly happy to draw from the entire history of humanity for inspiration. Many of hpthe books have a forward where he describes his inspiration, and these are quite diverse.Goes a long way to compensate for the fairly generic dark grey v black factions and invincible protagonists.

Kestral
Nov 24, 2000

Forum Veteran
Is there an Aubrey/Maturin equivalent for sci-fi? I know, I know, "A/M is sufficiently distanced from our perspective that its lovingly detailed look at tall ship sailing is effectively science fiction," but seriously, is there? The closest thing I can think of is Passage at Arms, but that's really a submarine story, and doesn't have quite the same gleeful obsession with the technology.

Larry Parrish
Jul 9, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Gnoman posted:

The great virtue of the RCN books is that Drake is perfectly happy to draw from the entire history of humanity for inspiration. Many of hpthe books have a forward where he describes his inspiration, and these are quite diverse.Goes a long way to compensate for the fairly generic dark grey v black factions and invincible protagonists.

that's a big reason I like them. on paper it's a generic, endlessly retreaded concept, but in execution it's very good and original, because he put the effort in.

Kestral posted:

Is there an Aubrey/Maturin equivalent for sci-fi? I know, I know, "A/M is sufficiently distanced from our perspective that its lovingly detailed look at tall ship sailing is effectively science fiction," but seriously, is there? The closest thing I can think of is Passage at Arms, but that's really a submarine story, and doesn't have quite the same gleeful obsession with the technology.

the RCN books. read e'm.

Gnoman
Feb 12, 2014

RCN is specifically billed by the author as Aubrey-Maturin in space.

Khizan
Jul 30, 2013

Gnoman posted:

The great virtue of the RCN books is that Drake is perfectly happy to draw from the entire history of humanity for inspiration. Many of hpthe books have a forward where he describes his inspiration, and these are quite diverse. Goes a long way to compensate for the fairly generic dark grey v black factions and invincible protagonists.

He also had the sense to make his FTL system something that's roughly analogous to sailing in a way that allows his version of Aubrey to feasibly win ship battles via superior seaspacemanship.

Gnoman
Feb 12, 2014

Eh, not really a fan of that. Leary is made into the second-greatest spaceman ever to justify why he can repeatedly defeat battleships with his dinky corvette. He is also able to defeat entire fleets due to Adele the super-hacker.

They're fun, but there's a lot of jank,

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Why! Why!! Why must you refuse to accept that Dr. Hieronymous Alloy's Genetically Enhanced Cream Corn Is Superior to the Leading Brand on the Market!?!

Morbid Hound
Drake is probably the best of the SF Aubrey/ Maturin knockoffs but there's a reason we're talking about Aubrey/Maturin knockoffs and not David Drake knockoffs.

Larry Parrish
Jul 9, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
I mostly like how there's literally linemen even though it's in space.

ulmont
Sep 15, 2010

IF I EVER MISS VOTING IN AN ELECTION (EVEN AMERICAN IDOL) ,OR HAVE UNPAID PARKING TICKETS, PLEASE TAKE AWAY MY FRANCHISE

Hieronymous Alloy posted:

Drake is probably the best of the SF Aubrey/ Maturin knockoffs but there's a reason we're talking about Aubrey/Maturin knockoffs and not David Drake knockoffs.

Although if we were, David Weber would probably qualify.

HopperUK
Apr 29, 2007

Why would an ambulance be leaving the hospital?
The Temeraire books by Naomi Novik also have their origin in Aubrey/Maturin fanfic. They get kind of meh later but the first few are good fun.

Gnoman
Feb 12, 2014

ulmont posted:

Other way around. The RCN books originated in an Honorverse short story, and there's a lot of "not the Honorverse" explanations in the first book or two as a result,

C.M. Kruger
Oct 28, 2013

ulmont posted:

IIRC David Weber was drawing far more from the Hornblower books.

Gnoman
Feb 12, 2014

He was, and Drake said specifically that he wasn't working of Hornblower because "somebody else" had already done it far better than he ever could.

branedotorg
Jun 19, 2009

C.M. Kruger posted:

IIRC David Weber was drawing far more from the Hornblower books.

Hornblower and Horatio Nelson directly, who was well known for his love triangles and psychic super-cat

StrixNebulosa
Feb 14, 2012

You cheated not only the game, but yourself.
But most of all, you cheated BABA

branedotorg posted:

Hornblower and Horatio Nelson directly, who was well known for his love triangles and psychic super-cat

I unironically believe psychic cats are an improvement to any book they arrive in.

I also hate Weber for sucking at writing when his premise was fun. (Also his politics suck)

Kchama
Jul 25, 2007

Gnoman posted:

He was, and Drake said specifically that he wasn't working of Hornblower because "somebody else" had already done it far better than he ever could.

Drake was wrong.

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Why! Why!! Why must you refuse to accept that Dr. Hieronymous Alloy's Genetically Enhanced Cream Corn Is Superior to the Leading Brand on the Market!?!

Morbid Hound

StrixNebulosa posted:

I also hate Weber for sucking at writing when his premise was fun. (Also his politics suck)

This is how I feel about all the Aubrey / Maturin knockoffs but especially Temeraire.

StrixNebulosa
Feb 14, 2012

This is how I feel about all the Aubrey / Maturin knockoffs but especially Temeraire.

Temeraire has an incredible premise and starts even okay but then immediately tries to shoot itself in the foot over and over and OVER again to the point that I cannot trust the author with anything else, no matter how much praise she gets :sigh:

ToxicFrog
Apr 26, 2008

Gnoman posted:

Eh, not really a fan of that. Leary is made into the second-greatest spaceman ever to justify why he can repeatedly defeat battleships with his dinky corvette. He is also able to defeat entire fleets due to Adele the super-hacker.

They're fun, but there's a lot of jank,

Yeah, I think I punted on that series two or three books in when it became clear that Adele was basically a big red I WIN button and any sense of tension or risk in combat came from the author (a) finding excuses for her to be unavailable or (b) just outright forgetting she exists for a few chapters.

Benagain
Oct 10, 2007

Can you see that I am serious?
Fun Shoe

StrixNebulosa posted:

Temeraire has an incredible premise and starts even okay but then immediately tries to shoot itself in the foot over and over and OVER again to the point that I cannot trust the author with anything else, no matter how much praise she gets :sigh:

She definitely learned a shitton from the Temeraire series and all of her later standalones are really good, would recommend. One shot fairy tale influenced stories with complete character arcs.

tildes
Nov 16, 2018
Temeraire: very bad for me.

But I felt basically everything after that she’s written has been much, much better. Deadly Education is also solid if you want a darker Harry Potter.

No Dignity
Oct 15, 2007

I read most of Uprooted and didn't care for it at all, is that representative in quality of her other more recent works?

Collateral
Feb 17, 2010
And they are all fan fiction based around the exploits of Thomas Cochrane.

Silver2195
Apr 4, 2012

Kestral posted:

I was about to mention the Star Trek parallels (mostly in terms of character dynamics), but then I realized that Master and Commander was published in 1969, so the influence, if any, goes the other way.

StrixNebulosa posted:

I unironically believe psychic cats are an improvement to any book they arrive in.

Speaking of influences on Star Trek, have you ever read Voyage of the Space Beagle?

tildes
Nov 16, 2018

No Dignity posted:

I read most of Uprooted and didn't care for it at all, is that representative in quality of her other more recent works?

If you didn’t like uprooted then Deadly Education is probably a better choice than her other one shot books- Eg you almost definitely won’t like spinning silver. Personally it’s my favorite of her stuff and is pretty different from them. But check the synopsis and see if it seems up your alley first imo.

Remulak
Jun 8, 2001
I can't count to four.
Yams Fan
Looks like first RCN book is free today, and a bunch of Mary Gentle stuff is on sale:
https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00B4HAI2I?ref_=dbs_m_mng_rwt_calw_tkin_0&storeType=ebooks
Complete Ash? https://www.amazon.com/Ash-Secret-H...xt%2C104&sr=1-2

buffalo all day
Mar 13, 2019

Great find!

pradmer
Mar 31, 2009

Follow me for more books on special!
Empress of Forever by Max Gladstone - $2.99
https://www.amazon.com/dp/B07GVCXWR5/

The Birthday of the World by Ursula K Le Guin - $1.99
https://www.amazon.com/dp/B000FC10U2/

Eden by Stanislaw Lem - $2.99
https://www.amazon.com/dp/B008533D44/

The Emperor's Blades (Chronicle of the Unhewn Throne #1) by Brian Staveley - $2.99
https://www.amazon.com/dp/B00FCQQCX6/

Ghosts of Gotham by Craig Schaefer - $0.99
https://www.amazon.com/dp/B07GZGXP13/

Lex Talionis
Feb 6, 2011

branedotorg posted:

So, following on from this is was thinking of reading 'the borrowed man' and wondered if the thread recommends it?
I don't think there's a consensus but here's what I think having read almost every Wolfe novel, including Borrowed Man but not yet its posthumously published sequel. Personally I wouldn't recommend reading Borrowed Man unless you've read all of Wolfe's major novels: New Sun, Fifth Head, Long Sun, Short Sun, Soldier series, Wizard Knight, and Peace. If you've read all that and still want to dip into his less well-known work, his late novels have some really interesting stuff in them but often feel like a trip to the dentist where you're somehow working as hard as the dentist but still feeling like the patient (Wizard Knight has some sections like this already so you might know what I mean). I think Pirate Freedom and Sorcerer's House are probably better places to start. If you still like those, then read all his late novels, including Borrowed Man and Home Fires. Earlier minor stuff like Free Live Free, Castleview, and There Are Doors await the completist but in my view are failed experiments on his part with different styles and structures.

Dream Weaver
Jan 23, 2007
Sweat Baby, sweat baby

90s Cringe Rock posted:

your only hope is to do a The Joke Baru Cormorant bit, he loves that

say, have you heard of The March North, by Graydon Saunders?

Just recently made it to my list.

freebooter
Jul 7, 2009

I read Temeraire before I'd been plunged into the internet enough to articulate what felt off-putting about it, but today I'd describe it as "furry-adjacent"

StrixNebulosa
Feb 14, 2012

freebooter posted:

I read Temeraire before I'd been plunged into the internet enough to articulate what felt off-putting about it, but today I'd describe it as "furry-adjacent"

That's not the problem with it.

Happiness Commando
Feb 1, 2002
$$ joy at gunpoint $$

pradmer posted:

Empress of Forever by Max Gladstone - $2.99
https://www.amazon.com/dp/B07GVCXWR5/

I do enjoy Max Gladstone's Craft sequence, but I tend not to like space operas. I enjoyed the poo poo out of Empress of Forever, though.

Tars Tarkas
Apr 13, 2003

Rock the Mok

A nasty woman, I think you should try is, Jess.

I picked it up after noticing every low review was people just mad the lead woman had sex with a lady

Sailor Viy
Aug 4, 2013

And when I can swim no longer, if I have not reached Aslan's country, or shot over the edge of the world into some vast cataract, I shall sink with my nose to the sunrise.

A Deadly Education is really bad. I don't think I've ever read a book with a higher ratio of exposition to action, even amongst doorstopper epic fantasy novels. Every actual event is followed by 2-3 pages of explanations about the magic system and how the school works.

pseudorandom name
May 6, 2007

The exposition is interesting though?

The whole point of the book is an exploration of how a Harry Potter wizard school where the students routinely die could come to be and how magic could exist in the present day world with out anybody noticing, neither of which TERF ever bothered to do.

The story is the daily routine of a student who has survived most of her term in the school, narrated from her perspective in whatever order she think is most important.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sailor Viy
Aug 4, 2013

And when I can swim no longer, if I have not reached Aslan's country, or shot over the edge of the world into some vast cataract, I shall sink with my nose to the sunrise.

pseudorandom name posted:

The exposition is interesting though?

The whole point of the book is an exploration of how a Harry Potter wizard school where the students routinely die could come to be and how magic could exist in the present day world with out anybody noticing, neither of which TERF ever bothered to do.

The story is the daily routine of a student who has survived most of her term in the school, narrated from her perspective in whatever order she think is most important.

The overall premise of why the school exists was fine, but all the explanations of class timetables and crafting mechanics felt like reading a strategy guide for a videogame.