Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

admanb
Jun 18, 2014

Resonance22 posted:

Wait, what? This whole time I thought you guys were talking about Paladins.

Edit for actual content: Maybe it's just my state of mind, but I personally enjoyed the music in Shadowbringers quite a bit more than Endwalker. Or at least, there were a ton of Shadowbringer tracks that made me wish for the soundtrack ASAP, not as much for Endwalker. Same for the story. Shadowbringer just hit me way more emotionally, but again, maybe I'm just more dead inside these days.

(to me) the best tracks in Shadowbringers were mournful while the best tracks in Endwalker were triumphant, which makes sense given the respective themes

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Insert name here
Nov 10, 2009

Oh.
Oh Dear.
:ohdear:

Orcs and Ostriches posted:

Made a new Samurai glam. Notable for me for not being all black.

Oh hey, I redid my SAM glam a few days ago too:

https://i.imgur.com/HTpSRSd.mp4

TheWorldsaStage
Sep 10, 2020

Is Levava in the open world anywhere? I want to see if she has updated text like some other guild leaders

Sanguinia
Jan 1, 2012

~Everybody wants to be a cat~
~Because a cat's the only cat~
~Who knows where its at~

New Heavensward LP is here! Now with 100% more personal introspection!

Solovey
Mar 24, 2009

motive: secret baby

Blueberry Pancakes posted:

I took a screenshot of something during the Ultima Thule (Level 90) section of Endwalker, forgot about it, and then suddenly saw it today and it make me laugh for reasons I'm not entirely sure of.

So here it is. Maybe someone else can explain to me why I find it amusing.

Blueberry Pancakes
Aug 18, 2012

Jack in!! MegaMan, Execute!

:hmmyes:

blatman
May 10, 2009

14 inc dont mez

is there some trick to tab targeting in PVP that will help me suck less? I seem to spend more time trying to tab someone squishier in range than actually hitting

Valentin
Sep 16, 2012

Currently "passively" leveling all crafters and gatherers via GC turn-ins and I'm surprised I don't see it recommended more often. after leveling them all via logs and quests to ~15 (no real theory behind that choice, it's just where the natural easy start to the leveling curve started to slow and recipes started to incorporate more materials you couldn't just purchase), today it took me just half an hour and maybe 30,000 gil to pick up 23 levels all told across all DoH/DoL classes. you can gear up easily via quest rewards and crafting, since everything's in roughly the same level range if you start them all at the same time. It's not the fastest or cheapest route, but it's a nice lazy choice, doesn't require much actual engagement with crafting systems, has minimal impact on the state of your inventory, and meshes nicely with the daily gameplay encouraged by roulettes.

Oneiros
Jan 12, 2007

i highly encourage it if you aren't in a rush. i leveled all crafters and gatherers to 80 almost exclusively on gc turn-ins, beast tribes, custom deliveries, and facet exp

Issaries
Sep 15, 2008

"At the end of the day
We are all human beings
My father once told me that
The world has no borders"

On other hand, if you don't care about actual crafting, why are you leveling them? :thunk:

Funhavers craft their own and learn to do some macros.

CJ
Jul 3, 2007

Asbungold

blatman posted:

is there some trick to tab targeting in PVP that will help me suck less? I seem to spend more time trying to tab someone squishier in range than actually hitting

Bind a key to target nearest.

Oneiros
Jan 12, 2007

adhuin posted:

On other hand, if you don't care about actual crafting, why are you leveling them? :thunk:

quests, beast tribes, repairing and melding junk, and some of the best drat glams in the game

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

bone shaking.
soul baking.
I may have missed this in the plugin chat, but for those with terrible pings, have you tried something like mudfish vpn? I have comcasticly garbage internet because cable ISPs have local monopolies on high speed internet.

As a result, I can get comically bad lag spikes and massive dropped packets from time to time. Mudfish smoothes it out. I’m in North Florida and I can get an 80s ping consistently with mudfish on and essentially eliminate some of comcast’s garbage routing.

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

bone shaking.
soul baking.

Valentin posted:

Currently "passively" leveling all crafters and gatherers via GC turn-ins and I'm surprised I don't see it recommended more often. after leveling them all via logs and quests to ~15 (no real theory behind that choice, it's just where the natural easy start to the leveling curve started to slow and recipes started to incorporate more materials you couldn't just purchase), today it took me just half an hour and maybe 30,000 gil to pick up 23 levels all told across all DoH/DoL classes. you can gear up easily via quest rewards and crafting, since everything's in roughly the same level range if you start them all at the same time. It's not the fastest or cheapest route, but it's a nice lazy choice, doesn't require much actual engagement with crafting systems, has minimal impact on the state of your inventory, and meshes nicely with the daily gameplay encouraged by roulettes.

I preach this all the f’ing time and I’m glad you took it up!

Leveling crafters to 15 in the guildhouse is arbitrary, but that’s around the point where you hit diminishing returns for just crafting new items and GC turn ins/leves really shine.

Valentin
Sep 16, 2012

adhuin posted:

i mean, i generally am crafting my own turn-ins a lot of the time, since it's significantly cheaper. i'm just not mass-crafting ishgard turn-ins or forcing my way through the log item-by-item for hours at a stretch.

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

bone shaking.
soul baking.
You level crafting even if you don’t care about crafting things yourself because of self gear repair and melding materia.

Also, just doing leves and GC turn ins with marketboard purchases is often profitable. You can make money just by buying stuff and turning it in.

Issaries
Sep 15, 2008

"At the end of the day
We are all human beings

There's repair and meld dude in every city. They're cheap.

Clarste
Apr 15, 2013

Just how many mistakes have you suffered on the way here?

An uncountable number, to be sure.
I level crafting to watch the crafting stories.

Fiye
Nov 23, 2021

No one can hide anything from me.
Your heart is in plain sight to me.

blatman posted:

Target yourself with F1 then press tab. It should select the first person who happens to be to the right of your character's nameplate. This really helps me but I also use legacy controls, replaced A and D with Strafe Left/Right, and hold right click to swing my camera around to turn for easier movement. Might be worth making a Mouse/Keyboard macro for that.

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

bone shaking.
soul baking.

adhuin posted:

There's repair and meld dude in every city. They're cheap.

It's cheaper to repair on your own than to pay someone and you can repair your own gear to 199% durability. Additional, personal melding is free and the melding dudes in any town cannot do forbidden melding.

Seriously, though, it saves you a lot of money and it's a hell of a lot easier to right click and repair all your gear than go track someone down.

Fiye
Nov 23, 2021

No one can hide anything from me.
Your heart is in plain sight to me.

Mr. Nice! posted:

Seriously, though, it saves you a lot of money and it's a hell of a lot easier to right click and repair all your gear than go track someone down.

Also you do not want to be that rear end in a top hat that makes everyone reinstance after they clear a checkpoint boss because you forgot to repair.

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

bone shaking.
soul baking.
Like, I totally get if you play this game and you say "I just want to poke things with my pointy stick I don't wanna craft" because I agree. I don't care about glams. I don't care about catgirl dressup. I'm goku and just want to fight the next strong guy and see if I'm stronger. The gently caress do I know about cooking? Jack poo poo is what.

However, I still have all my crafters and gatherers capped. I haven't done all of the quests for any of them because I don't care as much about that part of the game, like many others. The utility and passive income from having them leveled is loving priceless. Desynthing things is awesome.

On a side note - if any of you have cul unlocked but have not maxed cul desynth, there are a number of fish that are very high ilevel and also dirt loving cheap on the MB because they're the result of retainer ventures where people are gambling on getting a rare minion. Things like little flirts are usually sub 100 gil a piece. You can buy a bunch of these types of fish and turn them all into sand.

Issaries
Sep 15, 2008

"At the end of the day
We are all human beings

Or if you fish yourself, you have an endless supply of Fish to disenchant.

Personally I'm pretty lazy about melding and I've never bothered to pentameld.
It sounded like a waste of millions of gil, while getting 2% more dps.
And you have to repeat that every time you get a new item tier level.

Zeruel
Mar 27, 2010

Alert: bad post spotted.

adhuin posted:

you've cracked the code
I think the only thing worth penta melding is crafter or gathers gear

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

bone shaking.
soul baking.

adhuin posted:

Penta - yes. However your first overmeld is pretty obtainable and is a nice little boost. I like to at least hit at least one overmeld in crafted gear, but I'm also a former raider tryhard, and it tickles the happy center of my brain.

Lord_Magmar
Feb 24, 2015

"Welcome to pound town, Slifer slacker!"

I would probably Penta-meld if I was hardcore going for Savage world firsts but that's about it, and that's because you're not likely to actually upgrade your gear immediately doing that, so the pentamelding helps you do that much more damage to reduce the length of fights that little bit more.

Regy Rusty
Apr 26, 2010

Clarste posted:

I level crafting to watch the crafting stories.

This. I don't touch them otherwise.

acumen
Mar 17, 2005
Fun Shoe

admanb posted:

(to me) the best tracks in Shadowbringers were mournful while the best tracks in Endwalker were triumphant, which makes sense given the respective themes

Final trial the mix of Maker's Ruin/Footfalls in phase 2 owns and imo that moment is even more hype than Ardbert's pre-Hades

Onean
Feb 11, 2010

Maiden in white...
You are not one of us.
I always find it surprising that people are fine skipping DoH quests. It would bug me to no end having those sitting there at max level. I certainly understand giving them a break once hitting the HW quests (the turn-ins are a real pain if you're doing them at level), but after hitting 80 and getting Trained Eye everything's a joke.

Issaries
Sep 15, 2008

"At the end of the day
We are all human beings

Although the best part of the ARR crafting stories was when the mechanics were new to me and making those sweet anniversary gifts for that couple was huge accomplishment.
I didn't know the mechanics well, I was level appropriate, wearing self-made clothes and tools.
But I did the gifts and the NPCs appreciated my quality work.

central dogma
Feb 25, 2012

Come to the Undead Settlement in the next 20 mins if u want an ash kicking

admanb posted:

Calling that song "Christian Rock" really only makes sense if you spent way too much time forced to listen to Christian Rock and are traumatized by it.

It's just a fuckin' rock ballad.

I did attend Christian schools from elementary thru high school, so music remeniscent of this was played all the time. The library, school dances, birthday parties, etc. And I did have multiple 'not nice' experiences inappropriate for this or any thread. I know the song was written to inspire nostalgia, but it brings up the wrong kind for me.

And I adore all the other dozens of hours of music and own every available 14 album on vinyl. I have playlists for driving and at work and the music is so inspirational and touching to me that I can't listen to some of it without tears welling up. I love and adore it. It's just this one song (permanently on repeat forever in UT), and I should have never even made the original comment because now it's just a joke. I promise not to bring it up again if you all don't. Sorry for thread making GBS threads.

E/N

Leraika
Jun 14, 2015

Luckily, I *did* save your old avatar. Fucked around and found out indeed.
level 80 all quests and gatherers yessss

Now I just need to finish the fishing facet quests and then I'm.... gonna take a break and level DNC and WHM.

Slider
Jun 6, 2004

Sakurazuka posted:

When does the 'week' reset for raid items?

Tuesday = First day of the week

Dr Kool-AIDS
Mar 26, 2004

Resonance22 posted:

Edit for actual content: Maybe it's just my state of mind, but I personally enjoyed the music in Shadowbringers quite a bit more than Endwalker. Or at least, there were a ton of Shadowbringer tracks that made me wish for the soundtrack ASAP, not as much for Endwalker. Same for the story. Shadowbringer just hit me way more emotionally, but again, maybe I'm just more dead inside these days.

You're not alone on the soundtrack at least. Music tends to grow on me over time, so during my playthrough isn't necessarily where I have the biggest reaction to a game's soundtrack (also because I'm preoccupied with actually playing and avoiding mechanics and poo poo), but with Shadowbringers I felt like the music pretty much slapped me in the face with how awesome some of it was. With Endwalker, the things that stood out to me most were the mid-boss and boss themes in dungeon, which were good and a welcome change two years later but not quite at the holy gently caress impact that Insatiable had when I first heard it, the variations on Answers, and that I wished Amanda Achen had more lyrics in the last trial/I still hope Song of Hope does end up being its own song down the line somehow. The Ultima Thule change was cool, but I'm kinda with people who think it's going to get super super old over the next two years and wish we could change it back.

As for the emotional impact of the experience as a whole, I thought it was pretty similarly impactful to Shadowbringers, and that's even with feeling like the binge playthrough I was doing maybe wasn't the ideal way to experience the story. My only real issue, which is pretty specific to me probably, is that I tend to find philosophical pessimism pretty compelling, so laying that on so heavily was a pretty big bummer that the triumph of hope in game didn't necessarily cut through entirely. Like obviously overcoming impossible odds with the power of anime is a super common trope in media, but this specific threat just felt particularly impossible to me, and I couldn't help thinking I'd for sure be a blasphemy in a heartbeat under those circumstances.

CJ
Jul 3, 2007

Asbungold

Mr. Nice! posted:

I may have missed this in the plugin chat, but for those with terrible pings, have you tried something like mudfish vpn? I have comcasticly garbage internet because cable ISPs have local monopolies on high speed internet.

As a result, I can get comically bad lag spikes and massive dropped packets from time to time. Mudfish smoothes it out. I’m in North Florida and I can get an 80s ping consistently with mudfish on and essentially eliminate some of comcast’s garbage routing.

Mudfish also works but it's not going to get you down to a latency of 10ms and why pay for a VPN just because the game is coded dumb when you can fix it for free.

Damn Dirty Ape
Jan 23, 2015

I love you Dr. Zaius

Is there a good listing of jobs most affected by ping issues? From the thread it sounds like MNK, GNB, MCH, maybe NIN.... and which others?

I admit I really like MCH...except for the hypercharge heat blast burst part since I don't particularly like the heat blast animation. I was kind of hoping for an upgraded version of heat blast / auto crossbow in EW. I'm also a little surprised they didn't switch over to a 'charge' based system like they did for WAR.

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

bone shaking.
soul baking.

CJ posted:

Mudfish also works but it's not going to get you down to a latency of 10ms and why pay for a VPN just because the game is coded dumb when you can fix it for free.

Mudfish is so cheap it might as well be free. I paid $20 once like 6 years ago and have never used it all. Second, a VPN is not against the TOS and won't potentially get action taken against your account.

You don't need 10ms ping to play the game. You can pretty easily beat all savage content the game has ever had with 150-200ms ping as can be attested by the euro players that raid on the NA servers.

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

bone shaking.
soul baking.
In more fun news, I got the 88 dungeon for LDR this morning. I was war tanking. The healer died early on the boss fight, and I kept the other two dps up with shake it off and nascent flash. Tanks are ridiculous in EW, and I'm a big fan.

THE AWESOME GHOST
Oct 21, 2005

In the week or so since I started playing queues have gone from 2000+ to about 200 today on a Sunday. Looks like the servers will start to become a bit less congested soon?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

bone shaking.
soul baking.

THE AWESOME GHOST posted:

In the week or so since I started playing queues have gone from 2000+ to about 200 today on a Sunday. Looks like the servers will start to become a bit less congested soon?

Maybe? This is a little bit of a lull. Right now people are done with the MSQ and generally geared as much as they can be for the savage drop in a few days. On Tuesday, expect queues.

After that? Who knows. Tuesday is gonna be busy, though.