Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
(Thread IKs: Nuns with Guns)

The 7th Guest
Dec 17, 2003

known underdog company Alphabet

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Famethrowa
Oct 5, 2012

we'd probably have to update copyright and ip laws which... lol

fun hater
May 24, 2009

its a neat trick, but you can only do it once
more and more people and saying it: abolish copyright. and you know what, they're right

MonsieurChoc
Oct 12, 2013

Every species can smell its own extinction.

Yup, I can see I already gave the video a like before.

Ivypls
Aug 24, 2019

fun hater posted:

more and more people and saying it: abolish copyright. and you know what, they're right

many people are saying this

Famethrowa
Oct 5, 2012

fun hater posted:

:haibrow:

Dias
Feb 20, 2011

by sebmojo

fun hater posted:

I think that's the cherry on top of the poo poo NFT sundae, we should be heading towards copyright abolition and NFTs are just going the opposite way and wasting a ton of resources to boot.

Baka-nin
Jan 25, 2015

Famethrowa posted:

we'd probably have to update copyright and ip laws which... lol

Its a mess but there have been some progress.
Last year IP laws where updated to finally make recorded music public domain in the US rather than a perpetual royalty machine. Over 400,000 records are public domain today.

claw game handjob
Mar 27, 2007

pinch pinch scrape pinch
ow ow fuck it's caught
i'm bleeding
JESUS TURN IT OFF
WHY ARE YOU STILL SMILING

NikkolasKing posted:

Also who was the person who said they didn't like Episode III's music? I've always seen a few scattered haters of the game but one thing I've never heard criticism of was its score which is a triumph and if anybody cares one bit about music, they owe it to themselves to find XSIII's soundtrack and listen to it.

The full soundtrack, of course because more than half the songs in the game aren't on the official OST....
https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PLvXMARe51eeYX051YteXh_i_0p0jLCMWR

FWIW: we did our first post-holiday recording today and I brought this comment up with Matt to dig in.

Matt posted:

Most of the tracks are pretty bland orchestral or rehashes of previous tracks if you listen through it. I keep going to put something in the show and I check my notes (I track what I've used where to avoid duplicates) and find out I've already used the song it's quoting in XSI or XSII. When I'm listening through an OST I try to find things that grab my attention or have enough melodic or rhythmic shape that it's memorable, and everything that catches my ear is something which hooked me in a prior title already. I don't want duplicates.

The OST lacking every HaKox track or city themes, and the lack of the celtic influence are other gripes.

Grouchio
Aug 31, 2014

Baka-nin posted:

Its a mess but there have been some progress.
Last year IP laws where updated to finally make recorded music public domain in the US rather than a perpetual royalty machine. Over 400,000 records are public domain today.
How many were public domain before the update?

fun hater
May 24, 2009

Grouchio posted:

How many were public domain before the update?

thats literally how many were added. every recording before 1923 is now public domain.

Ghostlight
Sep 25, 2009

maybe for one second you can pause; try to step into another person's perspective, and understand that a watermelon is cursing me

Yvonmukluk posted:

I thought it was stuff ISIS (the terrorist group) looted that Hobby Lobby paid them (the aforementioned terrorist group) for?
Well they specifically either destroyed or didn't bother keeping records for where and who they were purchased from, either because they were so incompetent at running a museum they didn't know to do that stuff in order to avoid accidentally funding terrorist groups, or because they were competent enough to know they were funding terrorist groups.

DC Murderverse posted:

Counterpoint: the Black Ops games which are just CIA propaganda and are 100% pro-loving with democracy across the world
That's not fair - Black Ops III is only pro-loving up your brain with military technology and killing yourself.

bird.
Jun 20, 2010

Grouchio posted:

So 1) what's the actual situation and 2) how would anyone (FCC?) be able to make content ID claims (the biggest problem) a thing of the past on youtube?

1. layers upon layers of institutional tumors have grown and are interacting with each other in a resonance cascade that makes number go up ever slightly
2. have u heard of matches?

Grouchio
Aug 31, 2014

bird. posted:

2. have u heard of matches?
Matches as in fighting matches or matches for arson?

Yardbomb
Jul 11, 2011

What's with the eh... bretonnian dance, sir?

Arc Hammer posted:

I was thinking more of Infinite Warfare, but you are right. The Blops games give me the same uneasy feeling as The Division where you're gunning down desperate people arbitrarily labeled as "rioters"

I'll go to bat for The Division, where it has the gross early bits of 'rioters', but it leaves off that pretty quickly in the face of the real issues being guys like the Cleaners, reactionary crazies taking to 'purging' people over the dollar flu thinking that they can old fashioned burn that poo poo out, the big ole biological weapon fiasco that starts the SHD and greater situation in Division, along with the Last Man Battalion, who started as a group of like military men going AWOL and playing the new guns in town and pulling more off duty army or guns nuts and so on to join their ranks, along with the actual core of the problem being the SHD, Strategic Homeland Division itself, your group, because the real worst person at the head of everything was Aaron Keener, who was one of the first wave of SHD guys sent in who took the whole "Absolute operational discretion" thing as a reason to fly way off the rails after people started dying and nothing was getting done and it starts getting more into "Maybe it's not a good thing to give government shootmen the go ahead on absolute decision-making" and similar. It's not like a secretly genius game or anything, but it does at least a bit more than people usually give it credit for.

Jamie Faith
Jan 13, 2020

Arc Hammer posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2-gQCZL8VA8

Have some Noah Caldwell-Gervais talking about the Gears of War campaigns.

This is the good poo poo

Shinji2015
Aug 31, 2007
Keen on the hygiene and on the mission like a super technician.

Ghostlight posted:

That's not fair - Black Ops III is only pro-loving up your brain with military technology and killing yourself.

Black Ops 4 doesn't even have a real storyline; all the characters are just hired mercs.

I like campaign modes, but honestly I was glad to have a COD that didn't have a remotely political story mode

DrVenkman
Dec 28, 2005

I think he can hear you, Ray.
People finding Sarkeesian's Letterboxd has been a gold mine. Insane the elevated position she got because she learned to point at things and go 'that's sexist' with absolutely zero media literacy.

The thing that annoys me about the IN THE MOOD FOR LOVE review is the idea that the protagonists are unimportant and that this is somehow a problem for the movie. Art, about regular people? Who would ever go see that.

https://twitter.com/The24thFrame/status/1477491413097095169?t=XKRfUI2HIHocS3QorhaFdA&s=19

DrVenkman fucked around with this message at 13:19 on Jan 2, 2022

Yardbomb
Jul 11, 2011

https://twitter.com/LazlosGhost/status/1477455803166560260

https://twitter.com/Sirmaryx/status/1477468003793096704

Metis of the Chat Thread
Aug 1, 2014

wow I could not care less

DrVenkman
Dec 28, 2005

Metis of the Hallways posted:

So move on then

fun hater
May 24, 2009

i do

Rockit
Feb 2, 2017

To be blunt there’s a good chance actually seeing these movie will provid reasonable context for her takes. I don’t know so I won’t judge.

Finding characters boring isn’t a critic crime and it’s clearly framed as an subjective statement not an objective rule so I think you’re basing this on some other problem you with her.

I’m no Stan so maybe there is a problem. But this if so this is nowhere close to being it. No one seen these films and they could just suck like she says.

Rockit fucked around with this message at 14:23 on Jan 2, 2022

Srice
Sep 11, 2011

I've seen both those films and guess what, they loving rule.

fun hater
May 24, 2009

Rockit posted:

No one seen these films and they could just suck like she says.

no one has seen little known indie darling "elf" starring up-and-comer will ferrell. keep an eye on this young buck hollywood!

fun hater
May 24, 2009

i think calling paul verhoeven's movies "male gaze-y" is an astounding admission of ignorance of an artists career as a whole and reduces a more complex relationship to "man films boobs, bad"

The Saddest Rhino
Apr 29, 2009

Put it all together.
Solve the world.
One conversation at a time.

In the Mood for Love is consistently in people's lists of top films so I think quite a few people have watched it

Watch it, it's great

Rockit
Feb 2, 2017

fun hater posted:

no one has seen little known indie darling "elf" starring up-and-comer will ferrell. keep an eye on this young buck hollywood!

Late Paul Verhoeven and a 2000 Hong Kong romance are kinda obscure. News at 11.

fun hater
May 24, 2009

Rockit posted:

Late Paul Verhoeven and a 2000 Hong Kong romance are kinda obscure. News at 11.

its the most recent verhoeven that came out like a month ago and wong kar-wai is one of the most critically acclaimed director in the world. this is a you thing.

kar-wong just had an enormous criterion release

https://www.criterion.com/boxsets/4117-world-of-wong-kar-wai

Alaois
Feb 7, 2012

No one's ever seen one of them China movies

Rockit
Feb 2, 2017

fun hater posted:

its the most recent verhoeven that came out like a month ago and wong kar-wai is one of the most critically acclaimed director in the world. this is a you thing.

kar-wong just had an enormous criterion release

https://www.criterion.com/boxsets/4117-world-of-wong-kar-wai
Ok. So it is. *shurugs*

DrVenkman
Dec 28, 2005

Rockit posted:

To be blunt there’s a good chance actually seeing these movie will provid reasonable context for her takes. I don’t know so I won’t judge.

Finding characters boring isn’t a critic crime and it’s clearly framed as an subjective statement not an objective rule so I think you’re basing this on some other problem with her.

I dunno man, it probably helps to have that context that you're lacking before you opine on people's motivations.

The Saddest Rhino
Apr 29, 2009

Put it all together.
Solve the world.
One conversation at a time.

Here's a good intro to that film

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IUwsTHGY4Ms

fun hater
May 24, 2009

heres some fun "movie gossip": kar-wai is infamous for loving with his films after release in a way that pisses fans off as much as when lucas does it. in the criterion release he color corrected his films and inexplicably added color to parts that were filmed in black and white. he also got rid of a needle drop at the end of chungking express that made everyone loving furious

why did he add the fallout 3 green tint to everything? i dont know. the original blue-rays can no longer be purchased. movie collecting is a dog-rear end hobby

Alaois
Feb 7, 2012

Thank god that Beat Takeshi probably never even thinks about a movie again after he's done making it

Rockit
Feb 2, 2017

I just I’m just not in the mood for talking poo poo and misjudged everyone’s else knowledge.

It’s not like anyone really put her on a pedestal and only discussed what she brought under their own viewpoints. Who cares? Macintosh is more entraining at least.

Yardbomb
Jul 11, 2011

As much as I dislike people dragging her up again and again for all eternity, this one's just bizarre too

"One mousey pawn"

Who people go on to point out, had the brass balls to just not play Chigurh's game straight up.

Also oh yeah that was bigger than expected.

Yardbomb fucked around with this message at 14:50 on Jan 2, 2022

Rockit
Feb 2, 2017

Yardbomb posted:

As much as I dislike people dragging her up again and again for all eternity, this one's just bizarre too

Now that’s a good pic.

Srice
Sep 11, 2011

fun hater posted:

heres some fun "movie gossip": kar-wai is infamous for loving with his films after release in a way that pisses fans off as much as when lucas does it. in the criterion release he color corrected his films and inexplicably added color to parts that were filmed in black and white. he also got rid of a needle drop at the end of chungking express that made everyone loving furious

why did he add the fallout 3 green tint to everything? i dont know. the original blue-rays can no longer be purchased. movie collecting is a dog-rear end hobby

At least for now the criterion channel has the theatrical cuts available but who knows how long that'll last, they could vanish at any time. poo poo sucks!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DrVenkman
Dec 28, 2005

fun hater posted:

Same thing happened with the Criterion DO THE RIGHT THING, where Spike Lee and Ernest Dickerson redid the colouring, and removed the golden tint, taking the movie from taking place on the hottest day of the year to one that's just a bit overcast. Annoyingly they insisted it's how the movie was always supposed to look. I'm pretty sure the Blu-Ray fixed this in the end at least.