Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

DC Murderverse
Nov 10, 2016

"Tell that to Zod's snapped neck!"

Murr Crusmus

https://twitter.com/primisultimis/status/1474404552044474368?s=21

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

organize digital employees

Not Canon

Also I wish atlus didn't block the literal rest of the game from screenshotting lol

DC Murderverse
Nov 10, 2016

I’m finally starting in on the other Persona games. I’m just going backwards from 5 so P4G is up next. I’m still very early on but man is Inaba a huge leap away from Tokyo. It very much reminds me of small towns that I’ve been in because my parents grew up in them, and as a dyed-in-the-wool city person I understand how different that can be.

Also already pre-annoyed that Chie isn’t gay because her whole vibe is very “small town teen not realizing you’re allowed to be gay”, especially with the “wait is my soulmate a girl?” conversation right as poo poo is going down

edit: also already missing Morgana sorry but cat > child & weird fake bear thing

neonchameleon
Nov 14, 2012

DC Murderverse posted:

I’m finally starting in on the other Persona games. I’m just going backwards from 5 so P4G is up next. I’m still very early on but man is Inaba a huge leap away from Tokyo. It very much reminds me of small towns that I’ve been in because my parents grew up in them, and as a dyed-in-the-wool city person I understand how different that can be.

Also already pre-annoyed that Chie isn’t gay because her whole vibe is very “small town teen not realizing you’re allowed to be gay”, especially with the “wait is my soulmate a girl?” conversation right as poo poo is going down

Atlus has form on writing gay characters who aren't allowed to be gay, and Chie is far from the worst case in P4G.

quote:

edit: also already missing Morgana sorry but cat > child & weird fake bear thing

I won't hear a word against Nanako. On the other hand Morgana >> Teddie. For that matter Ohya > Teddie.

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

I feel bad that I am basically forced to level up Ohya's confidant since I don't have anything else to do at night right now besides grind out stat boosts at the jazz club... meanwhile I still completely whiffed on finishing Yoshida's confidant and there's no turning back that clock.

Since I still haven't actually gotten to third semester stuff (since the game takes a break between Christmas and New Year's) I also am uncertain of the status of confidants whose requests I haven't dealt with in Mementos (I hadn't finished Shinya's yet)

mastajake
Oct 3, 2005

My blade is unBENDING!

I definitely prefer Teddie to Morgana. I don't dislike Morgana particularly, but having the player's inner monologue get replaced by talking to your companion just rubbed me the wrong way. I don't mind it in games like Zelda with a silent protagonist, but didn't like it here.

Alder
Sep 24, 2013

DC Murderverse posted:

woo boy I have a lot of words to say about P4G and how it treats their cast.

Sapozhnik
Jan 2, 2005

Nap Ghost

Alder posted:

might as well post them then there's not a lot else going on itt

Open Marriage Night
Sep 18, 2009

"Do you want to talk to a spider, Peter?"

Supposedly P5 Strikers is going to be free on PS+ next month. I might have to pick up P5 Royal to see what all the hype has been about.

hobbez
Mar 1, 2012

Don't care. Just do not care. We win, you lose. You do though, you seem to care very much

I'm going to go ride my mountain bike, later nerds.
I’m sure this is asked all the time but if I have free access to persona 5 via PS + is it worth 20$ to get royal or should I just play the free version

Blorknorg
Jul 19, 2003
Crush me like a Blorknorg!

hobbez posted:

I’m sure this is asked all the time but if I have free access to persona 5 via PS + is it worth 20$ to get royal or should I just play the free version

I'd probably go with Royal, but I'm not sure where you're seeing it for 20$. You could get the deluxe version with PSN subscription for 20$ up until about a week ago but that sale's sadly over. There's also the ultimate edition which was double that, but that sale ended even earlier.

They'll be on sale again for sure, and probably even lower, but those ships have sailed for the time being.

Twelve by Pies
May 4, 2012

Again a very likpatous story

Alder posted:

It's been a long time since I played P4, and I guess I'll spoiler it since someone is actively playing it right now, but the only one I really remember is Yukiko's where the character arc goes "I don't want to take over the inn, I want to live my own life! No, wait, actually I want to take over the inn after all." Am I right in thinking that a lot of the other character arcs were the same way?

DC Murderverse
Nov 10, 2016

hobbez posted:

I played Royal only and I feel like at least 5 times through the game somebody told me about how it changed from the original and I was like “oh poo poo I’m glad I didn’t play the old one”. Baton Pass especially makes the battles feel much snappier and you get it right away in Royal. And for something long like this you’re unlikely to want to play it again so just jumping on the better one is probably the right call.

Royal is definitely worth it imo especially if you’re gonna end up with Strikers for free

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

Strikers doesn't incorporate any story from Royal but yeah Royal has so much quality of life stuff even for the basic gameplay

neonchameleon
Nov 14, 2012

hobbez posted:

It depends what $20 over the span of a 100 hour game is worth to you; they are the same basic game but P5R is better in almost every way from the translation to the story to the exploration to the combat. Even the central story is improved by turning one of the main characters from someone that automatically ranks up to someone you make friends with. So I'd recommend the upgrade - but it's not worth food money.

Solaris 2.0
May 14, 2008

Royal is definitely worth it. I remember after I finished Royal I went and played P4G and I really missed things like Baton Pass, Guns, etc. Also, I thought the third semester content was some of the best writing in the game.

Also, Mementos pre-Royal sounds absolutely dreadful.

Arist
Feb 13, 2012

who, me?

Baton Pass is in vanilla, it's just way less useful.

Hellioning
Jun 27, 2008

Twelve by Pies posted:

It's been a long time since I played P4, and I guess I'll spoiler it since someone is actively playing it right now, but the only one I really remember is Yukiko's where the character arc goes "I don't want to take over the inn, I want to live my own life! No, wait, actually I want to take over the inn after all." Am I right in thinking that a lot of the other character arcs were the same way?

Not really a lot (though I dislike the way P4/G handles a lot of topics) but there is at least one where it's roughly the same.

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

Arist posted:

Baton Pass is in vanilla, it's just way less useful.

It's extremely annoying in original that you are actively discouraged from using your newest party member in a dungeon because they won't unlock baton pass until after it's over, that was such a huge fix in Royal lol

Paul Zuvella
Dec 7, 2011

I'm having a really, really hard time getting through the 3rd semester. the Kasumi stuff is all fun and good and kind of interesting but I kind of just want this to be done now.

The fact that all the new hang out seshes with your friends are all functionally identicle and unvoiced is really, really awkward and bad.

anakha
Sep 16, 2009

Shining Arrows being functionally useless for points purposes against the P3 protag in the challenge battle is some grade-A bullshit :argh:

MonsieurChoc
Oct 12, 2013

Every species can smell its own extinction.

DC Murderverse posted:

The Chie/Yukiko scene in the first dungeon.

Alder
Sep 24, 2013

Twelve by Pies posted:

Eh, yeah that yukiko SL :shobon:

I rmb thinking even way back then that it would've been handled better since there was no real progress from start to finish.

Kanji: I really liked his character and SL but the actual main story scenes it's just terrible and I feel bad. I've played P4/G multiple times and it's terrible each time how everyone reacts to him and later on. I'm like he's just a good boy who deserved better.

Naoto: Wow, one of the few SL where the actual dating ending was really ... strange. I'm like devs had an idea ... and just kinda backtracked on her main problem which went nowhere. It's a shame since I liked her character but the entire feeling was a wasted opportunity.

Also, don't forget the terrible creepy jokes every cast member suffered though. Also, Teddy's constant weird remarks didn't help later on.

Hellioning
Jun 27, 2008

Naoto is weird because I love her character and probably would choose to date her but the actual things you need to do to date her are weird and strange so I can't.

anakha
Sep 16, 2009

Cast Brave Step, then whiff the critical on two Sword Dances (both with Apt Pupil backup) and one One-Shot Kill in the same turn then get instakilled by Lavenza gently caress you game :argh:

Twelve by Pies
May 4, 2012

Again a very likpatous story

Alder posted:

Kanji: I really liked his character and SL but the actual main story scenes it's just terrible and I feel bad. I've played P4/G multiple times and it's terrible each time how everyone reacts to him and later on. I'm like he's just a good boy who deserved better.

I remember liking Yosuke a lot when I first played the game years ago but watching people play it now it's like, he's just a complete rear end in a top hat to Kanji for basically no reason and it sucks, Yosuke sucks.

Also I'm not 100% sure I remember Kanji's SL resolution, I want to say it's he doesn't think he's necessarily gay but due to his upbringing he's into a lot of things which are considered traditionally feminine and that's why people assume he's gay. Which on one hand is a valid statement about how gender stereotypes affect people, and a rejection of the idea that "all gay guys must be flaming, all lesbian women must be butch." On the other hand it also kinda feels like the writers were just apprehensive about having a gay character.

Hellioning
Jun 27, 2008

Twelve by Pies posted:

I remember liking Yosuke a lot when I first played the game years ago but watching people play it now it's like, he's just a complete rear end in a top hat to Kanji for basically no reason and it sucks, Yosuke sucks.

Also I'm not 100% sure I remember Kanji's SL resolution, I want to say it's he doesn't think he's necessarily gay but due to his upbringing he's into a lot of things which are considered traditionally feminine and that's why people assume he's gay. Which on one hand is a valid statement about how gender stereotypes affect people, and a rejection of the idea that "all gay guys must be flaming, all lesbian women must be butch." On the other hand it also kinda feels like the writers were just apprehensive about having a gay character.

Yeah, I get what they were going for, and I don't think the resolution to his arc isn't necessarily bad, but I will agree that 'apprehensive' is very much a good descriptor about a lot of things P4 does. It doesn't commit to a lot of things.

neonchameleon
Nov 14, 2012

Twelve by Pies posted:

Having Kanji's SL resolution go that way in a vacuum wouldn't have been so much of a problem. It's that all the gay-appearing SLs go in the exact same way - and just about all the SLs are "your problems boil down to you not accepting your place in the world"

Lord_Magmar
Feb 24, 2015

"Welcome to pound town, Slifer slacker!"

neonchameleon posted:

Having Kanji's SL resolution go that way in a vacuum wouldn't have been so much of a problem. It's that all the gay-appearing SLs go in the exact same way - and just about all the SLs are "your problems boil down to you not accepting your place in the world"

Not, really? The whole deal is the assumptions and pressures put on people by those around them, regardless of their own feelings on the matter.

Funky Valentine
Feb 26, 2014

Dojyaa~an

Naoto's SL is odd because it has fuckall to do with what went down in her dungeon.

Lord_Magmar
Feb 24, 2015

Funky Valentine posted:

Naoto's SL is odd because it has fuckall to do with what went down in her dungeon.

Doesn't she rediscover her pure love of detective work, which her dungeon is all about the things that impede her ability to perform it (too young, not a man, too childish). But tied into the fact that she is allowed to like robots and other cool things and still be an "adult".

Hellioning
Jun 27, 2008

Lord_Magmar posted:

Doesn't she rediscover her pure love of detective work, which her dungeon is all about the things that impede her ability to perform it (too young, not a man, too childish). But tied into the fact that she is allowed to like robots and other cool things and still be an "adult".

Like, kind of? IIRC, her butler (on orders of her grandfather) is faking a robbery case using a bunch of old toys she used to play with in order to rebuild her love of detectiveing, but apart from the toys reminding her of her past, it's not about her accepting her childishness or whatever.

Naoto's handling is incredibly weird. They're focused almost exclusively on Naoto's worries that she's too young and immature to be a proper detective, so there's robots and secret bases and the shadow boss design is a old timey robot with a toy raygun. But the 'surprise she was a girl the whole time!' tends to get more of the attention both in and out of universe, and the s.link's romance route is very stereotypical (protect her by physically throwing yourself in front of an attacker or you can't date her! You can tell her to change her way of speaking to get her to dress in a stereotypically feminine manner!) and it's ugh.

To summarize P4 has issues.

Funky Valentine
Feb 26, 2014

Dojyaa~an

If anything the "you are 15 years old, shut the gently caress up" problem seems to be the bigger issue the Inaba PD have with her.

Actually does the Inaba police even know she's a girl?

Lord_Magmar
Feb 24, 2015

Hellioning posted:

To summarize P4 has issues.

No doubt, I just think it's worth discussing what is issues with the writing on a more like, overall level, versus what is an issue where the story isn't what people wanted from it (which is still a valid feeling).

Like, I think the changes to their plans around Yosuke kind of really mess up his whole character in a very uncomfortable and unfortunate way. Where the original (or wherever the idea came from) of him having a romance social link turns his comments around Kanji from just straight homophobia to a more self-loathing/self-hating thing about his own level of comfort with his sexuality.

Lord_Magmar fucked around with this message at 04:59 on Jan 1, 2022

Alder
Sep 24, 2013

Hellioning posted:

Naoto is weird because I love her character and probably would choose to date her but the actual things you need to do to date her are weird and strange so I can't.

I feel ya :v:

I'm frustrated at how limiting the MC reactions are too for difficult questions. I'm like drat it's complicated and Altus just walked away at the end.

HootTheOwl
May 13, 2012

Hootin and shootin
She's the one with the gun. Why am I protecting her?

Space Cadet Omoly
Jan 15, 2014

~Groovy~

Persona 4 talking a lot about issues related to sexuality while not having a single LGBT character in the cast sucked.

Like, I'm not saying there aren't things about the game that are good, but that part really sucks and is a bummer.

Solaris 2.0
May 14, 2008

Wasn’t the game originally suppose to have LGBTQ characters but they got re-written for whatever reason?

Then again somehow P5 treats LGBTQ characters even worse so it’s not like Altus suddenly got more open. Hopefully they get it together for P6.

Arist
Feb 13, 2012

who, me?

People point to some hidden voice files that potentially indicate Yosuke was at one point a romance, but I'm not sure I buy that it was ever a real possibility and we have no idea what stage of development those lines are even from.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ytlaya
Nov 13, 2005

Twelve by Pies posted:

It's disappointing, because Yosuke has elements of a good character to him. His whole issue with dealing with his murdered crush having disliked him and being an outsider, plus being pretty much the only pre-Naoto member of the group to actually take things seriously makes him more interesting than at least half of the rest of the main cast.

I think I've mentioned this before, but my general opinion about the P4/G social links is that the non-party ones are better than P5 s-links (I remember really liking Saki's brother and the Death lady off the top of my head), but the party s-links are generally really bad.