Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

ZenMasterBullshit
Nov 2, 2011

Restaurant de Nouvelles "À Table" Proudly Presents:
A Climactic Encounter Ending on 1 Negate and a Dream

RareAcumen posted:

It was bound to happen. I wish they had mini updates of Mirio taking care of Eri and her trying to work her powers so there had been a modicum of set up to it.

The story would have to care about giving plot points breathing room and build for that to happen though.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Asuron
Nov 27, 2012

tbp posted:

did i hallucinate that mirio just undid his big character moment off screen with eri's powers once there was a plot reason for him not to receive ofa

I don't know what manga you were reading, but this was the clear setup as soon as he lost his powers. We were all waiting for it to happen, it was just a matter of when.

Although you start questioning why Eri doesn't do obvious things like turn back time on All might or Eraser or anyone who's been injured whenever her power lets do it. She could literally fix anyone if she wanted to

ZenMasterBullshit
Nov 2, 2011

Asuron posted:

I don't know what manga you were reading, but this was the clear setup as soon as he lost his powers. We were all waiting for it to happen, it was just a matter of when.

Although you start questioning why Eri doesn't do obvious things like turn back time on All might or Eraser or anyone who's been injured whenever her power lets do it. She could literally fix anyone if she wanted to

It being set up isn't the issue being brought up. Usually things in narratives, especially big pivotal moments for characters have more development than the initial hook.

christmas boots
Oct 15, 2012

To these sing-alongs 🎤of siren 🧜🏻‍♀️songs
To oohs😮 to ahhs😱 to 👏big👏applause👏
With all of my 😡anger I scream🤬 and shout📢
🇺🇸America🦅, I love you 🥰but you're freaking 💦me 😳out
Biscuit Hider

Asuron posted:

It's limited by her horn, and presumably that also sets a limit on how far back she can rewind something (bigger horn = farther probably)

Asuron
Nov 27, 2012

ZenMasterBullshit posted:

It being set up isn't the issue being brought up. Usually things in narratives, especially big pivotal moments for characters have more development than the initial hook.

That also wasn't the issue they brought up? They took an issue with it happening at all, which is where I'm confused as to how anyone didn't expect it to happen.

Whether it's executed poorly or not is another matter entirely

CuwiKhons
Sep 24, 2009

Seven idiots and a bear walk into a dragon's lair.

Pretty sure they did establish why Eri doesn't fix everyone - she has to stockpile energy for her quirk to work and it took months for her to have the energy to do it for Mirio. Depending on how long it's been since then (I don't remember), we might see her get one more use out if it before the manga ends, but that's probably all.

christmas boots posted:

It's limited by her horn, and presumably that also sets a limit on how far back she can rewind something (bigger horn = farther probably)

She did erase her father from existence the first time she used it so I'm not sure she needs more energy for more time but it's possible. Either that was all the energy she'd had stockpiled up since birth that just unleashed at once or she just has to accumulate enough energy to activate it and it'll go from there until she stops it.

Asuron
Nov 27, 2012
Would make sense for it to be bigger= longer amount of time but folks like Erashead and Mirko were only injured very recently. It would surely not require much chargeup for that. She was turning back the clock on animals already in her practice, it's not much of a stretch for them at least

christmas boots
Oct 15, 2012

Biscuit Hider

CuwiKhons posted:

Pretty sure they did establish why Eri doesn't fix everyone - she has to stockpile energy for her quirk to work and it took months for her to have the energy to do it for Mirio. Depending on how long it's been since then (I don't remember), we might see her get one more use out if it before the manga ends, but that's probably all.

She did erase her father from existence the first time she used it so I'm not sure she needs more energy for more time but it's possible. Either that was all the energy she'd had stockpiled up since birth that just unleashed at once or she just has to accumulate enough energy to activate it and it'll go from there until she stops it.

Oh yeah, I forgot about that.

CuwiKhons
Sep 24, 2009

Seven idiots and a bear walk into a dragon's lair.

Asuron posted:

Would make sense for it to be bigger= longer amount of time but folks like Erashead and Mirko were only injured very recently. It would surely not require much chargeup for that. She was turning back the clock on animals already in her practice, it's not much of a stretch for them at least

I'm guessing body mass of the target may also play a part, even if they haven't outright said that yet. Reversing time on a lizard is probably easier than grown human. Having said that, I'm willing to predict that Eri will use it on one more person before the manga ends, whether that'll be Eraserhead or Deku or even reversing Shigaraki until he loses all his new powers.

Probably won't be All Might though. That'd really undercut the whole point of the story.

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

CuwiKhons posted:

I'm guessing body mass of the target may also play a part, even if they haven't outright said that yet. Reversing time on a lizard is probably easier than grown human. Having said that, I'm willing to predict that Eri will use it on one more person before the manga ends, whether that'll be Eraserhead or Deku or even reversing Shigaraki until he loses all his new powers.

Probably won't be All Might though. That'd really undercut the whole point of the story.

Sad to break it to you but she's going to keep using it on All Might, Deku and Mirio at the end of the manga, effectively making the three of them immortal as their lifespan keeps suddenly extending weeks at a time till she has a breakthrough and can do more.

FrozenPhoenix71
Jan 9, 2019
Eri will rewind and revive Shigaraki's dog.

FireWorksWell
Nov 27, 2014

Let's go do some hero shit!

Shigaraki under AFO's influence will dust it without a thought, showing Deku he's too far gone to be saved.

Nephthys
Mar 27, 2010

FireWorksWell posted:

Shigaraki under AFO's influence will dust it without a thought, showing Deku he's too far gone to be saved.

Yeah but afterwards he'll say that he doesn't really feel like he won and everyone will talk about how great the dog was.

Blueberry Pancakes
Aug 18, 2012

Jack in!! MegaMan, Execute!

Nephthys posted:

Yeah but afterwards he'll say that he doesn't really feel like he won and everyone will talk about how great the dog was.

Momo was Shigaraki's pet dog?

serious gaylord
Sep 16, 2007

what.

Asuron posted:

The issue was that it was clearly setup to be a plot point that was just done off screen instead of you know, in the actual Manga.

I've said it before but the Mirio reveal was when I think the manga switched into the speed running 'tell not show' style we've had since. No build up to anything, just instant unsatisfying pay offs in a few chapters.

TheHan
Oct 29, 2011

Grind, you poor fool!
Grind straight for the stars!
obviously the Mirio reveal is more significant but the funniest rush job was Compress offhandedly revealing that he's the great great grandson of the bandit king, compressing a chunk of his own rear end and then disappearing from the narrative entirely.

Rhonne
Feb 13, 2012

Do you want to know what we do to artists?

TheHan posted:

obviously the Mirio reveal is more significant but the funniest rush job was Compress offhandedly revealing that he's the great great grandson of the bandit king, compressing a chunk of his own rear end and then disappearing from the narrative entirely.

The man has no rear end. What is he supposed to do, show up with an iron butt?

Blueberry Pancakes
Aug 18, 2012

Rhonne posted:

The man has no rear end. What is he supposed to do, show up with an iron butt?

Yes.

Brandfarlig
Nov 5, 2009

These colours don't run.

If he could control the size of his orbs he could sculpt the perfect rear end.

Kanos
Sep 6, 2006

was there a time when speedwagon didn't get trolled

TheHan posted:

I actually completely forgot Compress existed, which makes it a very successful disappearing act.

Scholtz
Aug 24, 2007

Zorchin' some Flemoids

A man who eat his own bussy... Shameful...

ZenMasterBullshit
Nov 2, 2011

Maybe Eri will rewind the plot and Geten will get to do something. Maybe they'll let him beat Momo but feel like he lost.

Vinylshadow
Mar 20, 2017

Maybe Eri will rewind the plot and Geten will get to do something. Maybe they'll let him beat Momo but feel like he lost.

Momo decisively wins all her fights and feels like she's won, and then goes mad with power and becomes the true big bad of the series and we get another ten years of chapters

christmas boots
Oct 15, 2012

Biscuit Hider
An important and climactic moment happens where Eri has to do a major rewind. Meanwhile, Momo is off in a fight happening at the same time and just as she wins...

Blueberry Pancakes
Aug 18, 2012

I still can't believe Dabi and Geten didn't team up to balance out the former's self-destructive firepower. It was right there.

ZenMasterBullshit
Nov 2, 2011

Blueberry Pancakes posted:

I still can't believe Dabi and Geten didn't team up to balance out the former's self-destructive firepower. It was right there.

I'm sure we'll eventually get a SHoto vs Dabi/Geten combo but way way too long after either character needed something to do and probably with Bad Dad getting thrown into the mix so the whole Fire/Ice vs Fire and Ice bit doesn't actually work.

And like every geten fight it will happen off camera minus 2 panels.

SyntheticPolygon
Dec 20, 2013

I don't think Geten will get another fight. Or show up again.

Vinylshadow
Mar 20, 2017

https://twitter.com/horikoshiko/status/1477553557234929668

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

MHA is apparently getting another stage play this spring:

https://www.animenewsnetwork.com/news/2022-01-02/my-hero-academia-new-stage-play-runs-in-3-cities-in-april-may/.181168

Scholtz
Aug 24, 2007

Zorchin' some Flemoids

Hopefully Horikoshi keeps MHA going until 2023 at least; there's so many options for the Year of the Rabbit

Lt. Lizard
Apr 28, 2013
I think we all know that we will be getting a page full of Mirko for 2023, regardless of the status of MHA at that point.

Vinylshadow
Mar 20, 2017

Scholtz posted:

Hopefully Horikoshi keeps MHA going until 2023 at least; there's so many options for the Year of the Rabbit

Everyone dressed in Deku's original hero costume let's gooooo

bobjr
Oct 16, 2012

Roose is loose.
🐓🐓🐓✊🪧

MHA actually ends because Mirko kicks so hard the earth explodes.

ZenMasterBullshit
Nov 2, 2011

SyntheticPolygon posted:

I don't think Geten will get another fight. Or show up again.

You're correct. he won't get another fight.

He will get one fight.

Nessus
Dec 22, 2003

After a Speaker vote, you may be entitled to a valuable coupon or voucher!

Rewinding All Might would just leave him healthy, wouldn't it? He doesn't have OFA any more. At most he might be able to sustain his muscle form echoes but that seems more like he was able to flex up so hard for so long that he's still sort of able to do it. He'd just look ripped, he wouldn't be the Hulk any more.

I mean, that would still be a reward for the guy, but he wouldn't be able to just jump into the battle.

Staltran
Jan 3, 2013

Fallen Rib

Nessus posted:

Rewinding All Might would just leave him healthy, wouldn't it? He doesn't have OFA any more. At most he might be able to sustain his muscle form echoes but that seems more like he was able to flex up so hard for so long that he's still sort of able to do it. He'd just look ripped, he wouldn't be the Hulk any more.

I mean, that would still be a reward for the guy, but he wouldn't be able to just jump into the battle.

Didn't Eri give Mirio his quirk back with Rewind? OFA being passed on instead of erased is different of course, but it's not so clear cut that he wouldn't get OFA back if rewinded. (now from a narrative stand point that's obviously never going to happen, but that might be due to never being rewinded, not because it wouldn't work)

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Staltran posted:

Didn't Eri give Mirio his quirk back with Rewind? OFA being passed on instead of erased is different of course, but it's not so clear cut that he wouldn't get OFA back if rewinded. (now from a narrative stand point that's obviously never going to happen, but that might be due to never being rewinded, not because it wouldn't work)

I imagine the series would treat a borrowed quirk different from a regular quirk if just to avoid the "why doesn't Eri merely MASS PRODUCT AFO" nonsense.

christmas boots
Oct 15, 2012

Biscuit Hider
I would guess that it wouldn’t create a duplicate quirk but who knows?

Incidentally you’d think it would rewind memories too

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

Nessus posted:

Yeah he'll have to step down to just becoming the world's best fitness trainer.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nessus
Dec 22, 2003

After a Speaker vote, you may be entitled to a valuable coupon or voucher!

Staltran posted:

I figure OFA works differently from your regular quirk, which is just like part of you biologically. Aizawa blew off his own leg so the mutant cure couldn't get up to the rest of him, presumably his eyes. I think they even theorized the quirk eraser might eventually wear off.

OFA on the other hand is transmitted from person to person, and while it's not possible NOW, plenty of people had OFA and a regular Quirk. My read is that if Eri had healed a busted-up Nana who had passed on OFA to All Might already, she would have had her original quirk and maybe the 'embers of OFA' stuff going on.