Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004

If you see this avatar while scrolling the succ zone, you have been visited by the mcmagic of shitty lib takes! Good luck and prosperity will come to you, but only if you reply "shut the fuck up mcmagic" to this post!
The Vikings are gonna fire their coaching staff and try to rebuild. They would love to get Cousin's money off the books for next year.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Acebuckeye13
Nov 2, 2010

Against All Tyrants

Ultra Carp
Not only is Brees the only QB to throw for 5,000 yards in a season more than once, but he did it five times. Dude's a first ballot Hall of Famer, no question.

HootTheOwl
May 13, 2012

Hootin and shootin

sweet geek swag posted:

Lol if Adam Gase gets a third Head Coaching gig.

Lol he ever got one after being a bears OC

Darth Brooks
Jan 15, 2005

I do not wear this mask to protect me. I wear it to protect you from me.

Rodgers is as godlike a QB you could ask for and has only one SB win. It takes having a good team alongside having a good QB.

The Vikings defence lost a lot of players two offseasons ago and have been slapped sideways with the injury bug since then. The offensive line has been an issue for a long time but there are some promising players there now.

Whether this is a Speilman issue or a Zimmer issue or bad luck the defense fell apart as the offense began to look decent.

The irony is that if Cook's fumble in game one wasn't called a fumble and if the FG in game two goes straight the team would be on track for a playoff game and we wouldn't be having this conversation.

a neat cape
Feb 22, 2007

Aw hunny, these came out GREAT!

Acebuckeye13 posted:

Not only is Brees the only QB to throw for 5,000 yards in a season more than once, but he did it five times. Dude's a first ballot Hall of Famer, no question.

is this a debate anywhere because lol

shyduck
Oct 3, 2003

Maybe if this was baseball because the voters are insufferably smug

bobjr
Oct 16, 2012

Roose is loose.
🐓🐓🐓✊🪧

I'm pretty sure Baseball would take it as a matter of pride if they voted no one in

really queer Christmas
Apr 22, 2014

a neat cape posted:

is this a debate anywhere because lol

The bucs fan is trolling and managed to get a few nibbles

wandler20
Nov 13, 2002

How many Championships?

really queer Christmas posted:

The bucs fan is trolling and managed to get a few nibbles

Yeah, he's definitely a first ballot guy but he did A LOT of stat padding much like Cousins.

syzpid
Aug 9, 2014

wandler20 posted:

Yeah, he's definitely a first ballot guy but he did A LOT of stat padding much like Cousins.

He had a run of 7-9 seasons in which the Saints defense was so absolutely putrid the only way the Saints won games was by Brees just absolutely balling out. In 4 of those 5 seasons he led the league in passing and the season he didn't he still threw over 5,000 yards.

a neat cape
Feb 22, 2007

Aw hunny, these came out GREAT!

wandler20 posted:

Stats are good though

One could say Ladainian Tomlinson's entire career was stat padding because he never won a title. He was still really good.

Cavauro
Jan 9, 2008

the object of football is to score as many points as you can without accruing any "statistics"

Simplex
Jun 29, 2003

Cousins seems like he's in the weird Schrodinger's window where he's both underrated and overrated at the same time. Most of the criticism of him seems to be spurious poo poo about how he isn't clutch or whatever, but he's pretty decidedly mediocre and a lot of the Vikings problems arise from his mediocrity.

Woozie66
Sep 8, 2009

I'll wait for the next era

Ches Neckbeard posted:

Brees has 5 all pros and 2 OPY's to his name as well. They are not comparable

So does "clutchness" matter or do stats matter. Can't have it both ways.

Barudak
May 7, 2007

Cavauro posted:

the object of football is to score as many points as you can without accruing any "statistics"

Wrong, all that matters is winning the game. Ideally, your team goes perfect due to an unending string of opponent forfeits

Cavauro
Jan 9, 2008

if you like mainstream stuff, sure. no problem. :)

Barudak
May 7, 2007

Cavauro posted:

if you like mainstream stuff, sure. no problem. :)

The billboard hot 100 of stats

Benne
Sep 2, 2011

STOP DOING HEROIN
https://twitter.com/RapSheet/status/1477604087952777217

Some quick Cliffnotes from the article:

-- Nagy is a goner, like we all expected

-- Fangio is "up in the air" and likely needs a playoff push to stay

-- Culley is safe with the Texans clearly overachieving

-- Rapsheet says Rhule might get another year, but as we've seen in this thread before, the national media and local people on the ground are hearing very different things about the state of the Panthers organization. I truly don't know what's going to happen there.

-- Zimmer will probably be gone if he doesn't make the playoffs

-- Raiders haven't really started a coaching search yet, likely due to them still hanging on in the playoff race. The Jaguars interviewed Doug Pederson and will have a Zoom meeting with Todd Bowles this week. Remember, this is the first year that teams are allowed to interview assistant coaches before the season ends, so it'll be interesting to see who jumps ahead and who decides to wait. Dan Quinn and Nathaniel Hackett have already said that they'll wait out their teams' seasons before taking interviews.

-- Campbell and Saleh aren't in danger despite terrible first years.

Benne
Sep 2, 2011

STOP DOING HEROIN
Also I'll have my final update/predictions ready to go next week before Black Monday, when this thread gets really exciting.

Nodoze
Aug 17, 2006

If it's only for a night I can live without you
I think Rhule is all but done, whether it's this season or next the writing is on the wall. The only thing that probably saves him is Watson coming in, but even then the expectation of winning is going to be immediate because Tepper just went and gave him a top level QB so there aren't any more excuses

Cognac McCarthy
Oct 5, 2008

It's a man's game, but boys will play

BlindSite posted:

TFF undervalues Cousins a whole lot more than I would think the rest of the NFL does. I don't think he's the kind of guy to engineer a game winning come back of a superbowl but the guy consistently throws for over 4000 yards, and has an almost four to one TD to INT ratio in his time in Minnesota. Yeah he's weird, has a weird head and has the knock of losing big games but his production and record is really good.

I've been sort of a Cousins defender for the last few years. His stats have mostly been good, but this year has really shown me how hollow that is. He has constant problems with accuracy and floats up passes that get receivers blown up at the line of scrimmage play after play. The Vikings have really great receivers who can bail him out (the same thing people had said about Case Keenum before they brought in Cousins) but at this point he's just going to get them hurt. Their pass blocking is actually quite good this year so he can't blame the offensive line like he could in the past. He just sorta sucks!

I think you're right that he's just good enough that some other team will probably want to take his contract on, though.

Rod Hoofhearted
Jun 18, 2000

I am a ghost

Good point about his receivers. Diggs hated him and wanted to get away from him. Thielen hates him. Haven’t heard anything about Jefferson. But if Kirk was :actually: good, I don’t think he’d be hated by his own receivers the way he is.

SirPablo
May 1, 2004

Pillbug
Kirk has a high floor/low ceiling. He has no extra gear that has yet to be unlocked due to coaching or the situation around him. WYSIWYG. I think his most damning issue is his complete lack of leadership. He doesn't rally the team. He doesn't push. He doesn't will his way to anything meaningful. He approaches the job like someone that is an assistant manager at a Walgreens. Vikings tried, it didn't work out. I'd love someone else to eat (most) his cap hit next year.

I really don't think Zimmer is coming back either. Vikings are not making the playoffs. They'd have to get to an NFCCG for Zimmer to look anywhere near competent.

boop the snoot
Jun 3, 2016
Kirk Cousin has always been mediocre. I'm not sure what other people have seen. He's like Tony Romo. Stats might look good on paper but he'd be like the 15th QB in the league I'd take right now.

DeimosRising
Oct 17, 2005

¡Hola SEA!

SirPablo posted:

Kirk has a high floor/low ceiling. He has no extra gear that has yet to be unlocked due to coaching or the situation around him. WYSIWYG. I think his most damning issue is his complete lack of leadership. He doesn't rally the team. He doesn't push. He doesn't will his way to anything meaningful. He approaches the job like someone that is an assistant manager at a Walgreens. Vikings tried, it didn't work out. I'd love someone else to eat (most) his cap hit next year..

You spend a lot of time hanging out with those guys personally, huh? That’s really cool

DariusLikewise
Oct 4, 2008

You wore that on Halloween?
Doug Pederson to the Raiders makes a lot sense so Mark Davis is going to bring back Lane Kiffin or something

Asproigerosis
Mar 13, 2013

insufferable

DariusLikewise posted:

Doug Pederson to the Raiders makes a lot sense so Mark Davis is going to bring back Monty Kiffin or something

YOLOsubmarine
Oct 19, 2004

When asked which Pokemon he evolved into, Kamara pauses.

"Motherfucking, what's that big dragon shit? That orange motherfucker. Charizard."

boop the snoot posted:

Kirk Cousin has always been mediocre. I'm not sure what other people have seen. He's like Tony Romo. Stats might look good on paper but he'd be like the 15th QB in the league I'd take right now.

15th best QB in the NFL isn’t mediocre though. That’s an almost completely irreplaceable commodity.

Adun
Apr 15, 2001

Publicola
Fun Shoe

DeimosRising posted:

You spend a lot of time hanging out with those guys personally, huh? That’s really cool

Calm down Kirk

fartknocker
Oct 28, 2012

Damn it, this always happens. I think I'm gonna score, and then I never score. It's not fair.

Wedge Regret

DariusLikewise posted:

Doug Pederson to the Raiders makes a lot sense so Mark Davis is going to bring back Hue Jackson or something

boop the snoot
Jun 3, 2016

YOLOsubmarine posted:

15th best QB in the NFL isn’t mediocre though. That’s an almost completely irreplaceable commodity.

If your ceiling expectation is a first round exit* from the playoffs, if you manage to get there.

The 15th best QB isn't engineering any postseason success.

*I will call myself out on him getting to the second round.

Two years ago.

boop the snoot fucked around with this message at 20:09 on Jan 2, 2022

Ornery and Hornery
Oct 22, 2020

boop the snoot posted:

If your ceiling expectation is a first round exit* from the playoffs, if you manage to get there.

Two years ago.

Worse QBs have won super bowls. Like Trent Dilfer and Tom Brady.

Football is a team sport with high variance.

boop the snoot
Jun 3, 2016

Ornery and Hornery posted:

Worse QBs have won super bowls. Like Trent Dilfer and Tom Brady.

Football is a team sport with high variance.

Comparing Kirk Cousins to Trent Dilfer is definitely how you prove that Cousins isn't mediocre.

Kalli
Jun 2, 2001

boop the snoot posted:

Comparing Kirk Cousins to Trent Dilfer is definitely how you prove that Cousins isn't mediocre.

Yeah, Brad Johnson is the comparison.

Relentlessboredomm
Oct 15, 2006

It's Sic Semper Tyrannis. You said, "Ever faithful terrible lizard."

boop the snoot posted:

Shut your drat mouth, Romo was MUCH better than Cousins.

Romo was also the anti-cousins, he was a top tier just having fun out there guy. Cousins looks like he's working through some particularly dull spreadsheets at all times

Benne
Sep 2, 2011

STOP DOING HEROIN
Stop arguing about Kirk Cousins and laugh at the Jags some more

https://twitter.com/GeneFrenette/status/1477720070939975680

YOLOsubmarine
Oct 19, 2004

When asked which Pokemon he evolved into, Kamara pauses.

"Motherfucking, what's that big dragon shit? That orange motherfucker. Charizard."

boop the snoot posted:

Two years ago.

Who are they going to replace him with that will get them a Super Bowl? Are any of the 14 QBs that are better than him available to the Vikings?

Joe Flacco and Nick Foles won super bowls recently. If you’re not a team with one of the 5 best QBs in the league you’re in the same boat as the Vikings just hoping everything comes together at the right time.

Since 2000 there have only been 8 Super Bowls won by someone who wasn’t Tom Brady, a Manning, or Roethlisberger, and half of those were won by “mediocre” QBs.

So I guess the Vikings just need to bide their time until Arch Manning declares in 3 years.

Probably Magic
Oct 9, 2012

Looking cute, feeling cute.
The Baalke situation is like jazz, it's the draft picks you don't see.

Asproigerosis
Mar 13, 2013

insufferable

YOLOsubmarine posted:

Who are they going to replace him with that will get them a Super Bowl? Are any of the 14 QBs that are better than him available to the Vikings?

Joe Flacco and Nick Foles won super bowls recently. If you’re not a team with one of the 5 best QBs in the league you’re in the same boat as the Vikings just hoping everything comes together at the right time.

Since 2000 there have only been 8 Super Bowls won by someone who wasn’t Tom Brady, a Manning, or Roethlisberger, and half of those were won by “mediocre” QBs.

So I guess the Vikings just need to bide their time until Arch Manning declares in 3 years.

mediocre qb's shouldn't be eating up the salary that could pay for 2-3 good-great players.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ches Neckbeard
Dec 3, 2005

You're all garbage, back up the truck BACK IT UP!
Cousins will never win you a super bowl. You won't even get there

https://www.profootballnetwork.com/kirk-cousins-primetime-record-does-he-struggle-more-on-thursdays/

quote:

Since the merger, there have been 62 QBs to have made more than 500 pass attempts in prime time. Among them, Cousins’ .320 win percentage ranks as the fourth-worst. The only QBs with worse prime-time records are Jeff George (2-17; .227), Andy Dalton (6-18; .250), and Jim Everett (8-18; .308).