Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Kris xK
Apr 23, 2010
Apogees have great shields, great flux and a large turret mount, they're great centre/back line ships for the early/mid game.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Z the IVth
Jan 28, 2009

The trouble with your "expendable machines"
Fun Shoe
And in late game a couple of Apogees make a great pocket salvage/survey setup that can still contribute in fleet fights with a HIL/Plasma/Tachyon and Squalls.

Talkie Toaster
Jan 23, 2006
May contain carcinogens

Kris xK posted:

Apogees have great shields, great flux and a large turret mount, they're great centre/back line ships for the early/mid game.
Never quite sure what goes in the large though. HIL pairs okay with gravitons in the rear mediums against cruisers/caps, but their arcs are too offset for anything else. Plasma and pulse are best used at short-range and an apogee isn’t quite fast or tanky enough to get too close, so that leaves the TL. TL, 2 tacs in front, 2 gravitons in the back with the large HE missiles as a finisher is pretty good, but relies on some pretty scarce weapons.

Kris xK
Apr 23, 2010
I'm so far away from vanilla that I may be just wrong but I'm pretty sure I jammed a plasma cannon on there, built in hardened shields and just stacked PD and flux cap/vent.

Z the IVth
Jan 28, 2009

The trouble with your "expendable machines"
Fun Shoe
Apogees are utility vessels both on and off the battlefield. I've just given them standoff weapons (HIL and Squalls), hardened the poo poo out of their shields and let them anchor my line and be blockers venting ships can hid behind.

Llamadeus
Dec 20, 2005

Talkie Toaster posted:

Never quite sure what goes in the large though.
This guy on youtube likes heavy blasters https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ultFxeamBoo

Dandywalken
Feb 11, 2014

dark confession:

Ive never used an SO ship. The combat time reduction scares me

BitBasher
Jun 6, 2004

You've got to know the rules before you can break 'em. Otherwise, it's no fun.

Dandywalken posted:

dark confession:

Same!

Rynoto
Apr 27, 2009
It doesn't help that I'm fat as fuck, so my face shouldn't be shown off in the first place.

Dandywalken posted:

dark confession:

The time reduction doesn't matter if all the enemy ships are dead!

Zore
Sep 21, 2010
willfully illiterate, aggressively miserable sourpuss whose sole raison d’etre is to put other people down for liking the wrong things
I have only used Safety Override on ablative Frigates so they can accomplish something before they inevitably get blown up.

Gobblecoque
Sep 6, 2011
I'll usually take hardened systems in addition to SO and try to give them to officers with skills that boost performance time/CR.

SO can be extremely strong with the right ships and loadouts.

AtomikKrab
Jul 17, 2010

Keep on GOP rolling rolling rolling rolling.

SO is great, pop that on a dominator and DGAF about your flux

if you could SO an onslaught I would do it

There is a modslaught boss onslaught that has SO

Kris xK
Apr 23, 2010
My only experience with SO is when I had Safety Override, Reckless Officer and a Hammerhead(?) for when something just needed to loving die. Usually it was the Hammerhead but by God did he make a mess before he did.

Larry Parrish
Jul 9, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Dandywalken posted:

dark confession:

i use it on high flux loadouts tempests. most recently, one with dual mounted ORA medium blaster, whatever it's called. two shots almost flux me out even with max cap, but the 250 move speed means I can quickly disengage and lose the flux before screaming in for another run. you don't need long combat time if you kill the whole fleet in that period :getin:

A Wizard of Goatse
Dec 14, 2014

If you're getting in big enough fights for it to matter just pack a backup flagship for CR overruns/reaper mishaps imho

Atopian
Sep 23, 2014

I need a security perimeter with Venetian blinds.
Widely using SO makes your fleet much stronger, at the cost of putting you on a time limit.

This makes easy and even fights simple, and turns slightly-hard fights even. But, it can mean that you lose badly in a fight that is hard enough that you get stalled.

Arghy
Nov 15, 2012

I've had some luck with HIL, 2 ion cannons/pulse IR lasers up front, LR PD in the small energy slots, breacher missiles on the small, that large anti fighter missile to saturate the enemy's PD, and 2 ion beams in the rear mediums,. I'm loving the ion beams because they'll reach out from the backfield when someones in a big fight and start knocking out weapons unless they change their shield facing. I've had multiple fights now where ion weaponry has really changed the outcome, though mostly it's my awesome shrike light destroyers with their ion pulsers just loving shutting down an enemy ship from out of no where.

Making sure the conquest has torpedoes on it's 2 large mounts really changes how the AI uses it and swapping out the mojinirs for hellbores helped too. It's kinda insane how hard it is to find heavy maulers because the heavy mortars are absolutely terrible. I really wish there was a stronger pilum too because my gryphon doesn't use it's sabot missiles nearly enough so i swapped out the torpedoes for harpoons and that splitting missile system with some sabots just encase it's getting pressured.

I really want a mod that just adds more ships to the vanilla rosters and some more missile weapons. I find it odd that there's not carriers and battle cruisers. I'll prolly grab a few end game threats mods later on because there's lots of potential for lost branches of humanity with unique ships showing up or multiple rogue AI factions using said lost branches of humanities weapons and ships.

Atopian
Sep 23, 2014

Ion beams are much better than most ion weapons because they arc over shields at high hard flux.

Well worth putting one on anything that can dish out flux at range, although the case for using more than one is much weaker.

Saul Kain
Dec 5, 2018

Lately it occurs to me,

what a long, strange trip it's been.

Arghy posted:

I find it odd that there's not carriers and battle cruisers.

https://starsector.fandom.com/wiki/Odyssey

Do you have time to talk about our lord and savior, the Odyssey, friend?

Arghy
Nov 15, 2012

Saul Kain posted:

https://starsector.fandom.com/wiki/Odyssey

Do you have time to talk about our lord and savior, the Odyssey, friend?

Sorry meant to type *more* haha but yeah i really wanna try that drat thing but so far i haven't found a single one or a BP for it.

Raine
Apr 30, 2013

ACCELERATIONIST SUPERDOOMER

so i fatfingered on zoomed out mobile and clicked the thread instead of the latest post

i read the OP due to my awful ADHD

you can have shields down and not overload from soft flux? what the gently caress????

i have meticulously been avoiding maxing out soft flux since FOREVER to avoid overloading

this changes everything

Tomn
Aug 23, 2007

And the angel said unto him
"Stop hitting yourself. Stop hitting yourself."
But lo he could not. For the angel was hitting him with his own hands
boy, you must have hated low-tech ships

Raine
Apr 30, 2013

Tomn posted:

boy, you must have hated low-tech ships

feeling extremely called out right now

i did actually play around with some but i used awful expensive hullmods and max vents for them which increased flux dissipation to the point where my total weapon flux was essentially negated

now the possibilities are endless. huge rear end guns with shield shunt and heavy armor

Tarezax
Sep 12, 2009

MORT cancels dance: interrupted by MORT
You probably still want dissipation and capacity to some degree because weapons won't fire if you don't have enough remaining flux capacity.

Raine
Apr 30, 2013

i think i was actually using makeshift shield generator on some low tech ships, maybe i was just brain damaged to begin with

Atopian
Sep 23, 2014

Arghy posted:

Sorry meant to type *more* haha but yeah i really wanna try that drat thing but so far i haven't found a single one or a BP for it.

While I personally don't like it, getting an Odyssey is as easy as pissing off the Persean League (I think? Or Sindria?)

Excelzior
Jun 24, 2013

Atopian posted:

While I personally don't like it, getting an Odyssey is as easy as pissing off the Persean League (I think? Or Sindria?)

afaik in the base game none of the factions use Odysseys with any kind of regularity

there's *faily often* one as part of one of the 3 strike fleets that chase you during a certain story mission but that's about it

Excelzior
Jun 24, 2013

Persean League and Sindria usually both have shitloads of Conquests, though, and those are also some nice broadsides as discussed earlier

Dandywalken
Feb 11, 2014

Finally got my Astral. All is right again.

Gonna try and find some Squall MLRS, and til then using 2 Ahab Harpoon spammers. They sync up well with strike craft for time on target strikes. Doing 4 Daggers, 2 Longbows this time.

Arghy
Nov 15, 2012

I mistakenly took that stupid smuggle mission not realizing it wasn't just another trade mission so after i finally smuggled some organs into the stupid luddite worlds i go to buy some fuel for my exploring but gently caress they got 1k max from both planets. I'm between 2 medium level warning beacons dropping off a satellite for some pirates but i only have enough fuel to flee back to the core worlds or risk the medium beacon system which would have enough salvage to hold me over and keep me exploring. Apparently theres some sort of story that can happen with those sats as the hegemony shows up and and is like follow us or fight. All i could see was the fuel their salvage would get me so i murdered them hahaha. I'm now in the medium beacon system with enough fuel to hit the second system but not only that i'm also up a paragon and another XIV legion! Murder pays.

The omen frigate is the cutest frigate ever, it's got an amazing Ewar package and a useful EMP special but it's fragile as hell. I'll be watching this huge slug fest in the middle of the map and notice 5 enemy ships out in the corner chasing it around every drat battle. I kitted it out with 1 TL, 1LR PD, and swarmer missiles as well as every drat defensive mod i could slap on it so while it can't do damage beyond poking you with a tactical laser it's extremely hard to kill. I might take a few of them for my paragon/astral build.

Atopian
Sep 23, 2014

Having a couple of cautious Omens or a couple of aggressive Monitors is good practice.

They soak up far more enemy attack-time than they cost in dp.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

Generally my trick with omens is to basically forego arming them other than a token weapon because the EMP is plenty good enough, then slap as many points as possible into shields and flux stats. They have a very good shield for their size and if you harden it and give them extra capacity they can be a lot more survivable, also if you give them an officer with systems expertise it allows them to use the EMP device near constantly and at long range.

Infidelicious
Apr 9, 2013

Re: conquest chat

I really enjoyed Unstable Injector / missile racks / ecm conquest with 2x swarmers and a strong side Kinetic heavy fit.

It makes it slightly worse against other capitals but much more effective at slapping the poo poo out of cruisers and destroyers.

The extra speed makes it much easier to vent safely; and missiles aren't effected by UI.

Razakai
Sep 15, 2007

People are afraid
To merge on the freeway
Disappear here
For the base game, I don't think any capital can beat the Odyssey for being personally fun to pilot. It's faster than some Cruisers (and nearly as fast as some Destroyers), especially when combined with the ship system, so you can actually get around the map to fight stuff. It's pretty fragile for a capital, but decent flux stats with 2 large energies means you can have a fast platform to hit stuff with plasmas/tachyon/expanded magazine autopulse. Plus excellent missiles thanks to the inbuilt mods (2x sabot and 1x mirv is reliable), and you can slap a pair of Xyphos on for ion pressure and great PD.

Arghy
Nov 15, 2012

drat don't ever destroy the ludic/pirate bases for free wait until someone puts a bounty on them then get paid to do so! I found a few while exploring and just traded at them then raided em then left haha now whenever there's a bounty i know exactly where they're at. I just can't make the conquest work--the AI just doesn't know how to pilot it and the flux for the weapons are horrible. If it had 2 flux pools or there was a refire period for the broadside it would make sense but currently it just flails around using half it's weapons. I'm swapping it for a paragon with 2 legions, 2 apogees, 2 gryphons, 1 heron, 1 drover, and some omens encase i have the space. I might grab 2-3 herons to swap out the apogees in station fights since they tend to suicide themselves into it.

The phase freighter is amazing btw and the closest thing you'll get to a do all freighter, gonna try to have 4 of them in my fleet to reduce my signature without having to waste resources on combat phase ships.

Insert name here
Nov 10, 2009

Oh.
Oh Dear.
:ohdear:

Infidelicious posted:

Re: conquest chat

I really enjoyed Unstable Injector / missile racks / ecm conquest with 2x swarmers and a strong side Kinetic heavy fit.

It makes it slightly worse against other capitals but much more effective at slapping the poo poo out of cruisers and destroyers.

The extra speed makes it much easier to vent safely; and missiles aren't effected by UI.
Going to second Unstable Injector on the Conquest (though I run mine with double MIRV and ECCM) as a surprisingly good pick because it bumps your baseline speed up to the point where you're competitive with a lot of cruisers. The range loss is noticeable but I feel you gain more than you lose (obviously still put an ITU on).

Excelzior
Jun 24, 2013

I mean you CAN load up a broadside conquest of long range weaponry but it's really designed to spin around the enemy forces at medium-short range anyway

there's better candidates for a long-range fire support platform

Real Cool Catfish
Jun 6, 2011
Big fan of two mjolnir cannons on one side of a conquest set to alternating. Just a steady thud of high energy projectiles hitting shield; then armor, then stripped down hull.

I think in the other broadside I slapped some devestator cannons for maiming fighters/errant smaller ships.

Arghy
Nov 15, 2012

What why is the paragon 60 DP instead of 50? It's going into the useless but shiny ship dump! loving legions only cost 40 DP's and are super useful.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Atopian
Sep 23, 2014

Arghy posted:

What why is the paragon 60 DP instead of 50? It's going into the useless but shiny ship dump! loving legions only cost 40 DP's and are super useful.

A Paragon isn't always the right fit for a fleet, but it is unquestionably the strongest ship in the game when correctly fitted.
A major key to its power that might be overlooked is picking a weapon loadout that overfluxes it, then using the fortress shield system to dissipate that soft flux while under fire. Additionally, flickering the fortress shield in response to attacks.

Finally, player skill and player-character skills typically make the piloted flagship perform significantly better than other ships.
The Paragon is a way to make that ship as big as possible.