Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Lead out in cuffs
Sep 18, 2012

"That's right. We've evolved."

"I can see that. Cool mutations."

Bi-la kaifa posted:

So uh... Bc assessments are out. My property value went up 43%. Jesus gently caress my taxes are gonna be astronomical

Enjoy your new-found wealth! You worked hard for it!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Alctel
Jan 16, 2004

I love snails

HookShot posted:

Municipalities collect a certain amount of money every year. For the sake of this math being easy, we'll say $10 million.

If there are 1000 houses in the city and they're each identical, and each worth $100,000, then each house has to pay $10,000 in property taxes. (10k x 1000 houses = 10 mill)

The next year, because this 1000-town house is in rural BC, let's say prices go up 50% and each house is now worth $150,000. Well, the municipality decides to keep property taxes flat and once again has to raise $10 million. Each house might be worth 50% more, but each house's share of the property taxes stays exactly the same at $10,000.

The only way your property taxes change (beyond increases at the muni level which affect everyone equally) is if your property changes in value compared to other properties in your town. So if you had a plot of empty land and you built a house on it, yeah, your property taxes are going to go up. But if you live on an average plot in an average part of town, the change is generally going to be minimal.

Wow that is uh, something

I had no idea

qhat
Jul 6, 2015

Owned.

Fidelitious
Apr 17, 2018

MY BIRTH CRY WILL BE THE SOUND OF EVERY WALLET ON THIS PLANET OPENING IN UNISON.

Alctel posted:

I had no idea

As a fun exercise, you can also consider that this is why places like Vancouver and Toronto have extremely low property taxes (as a percentage) compared to places where property values are much lower.
The cost to run a city within a certain population range and density is a roughly similar cost per resident, it doesn't really increase at all in relation to property values.

Your property taxes will definitely still go up a bit of course.

Throatwarbler
Nov 17, 2008

by vyelkin

Alctel posted:

I had no idea

The way most local governments work, changes to taxes like setting tax rates or raising new taxes require legislative action, a vote by the council, etc while assessing the value of any particular house is just an administrative action by the disinterested civil service. That's why it works like that.

leftist heap
Feb 28, 2013

Fun Shoe
Should we also do a primer on marginal tax rates as well?

Alctel
Jan 16, 2004

I love snails

leftist heap posted:

Should we also do a primer on marginal tax rates as well?

It's incredible how many people don't know how marginal tax rates work, to the point I feel that is deliberately not explained

I feel how municipal tax works though is more obscure as only home owners have to care about it. Everyone pays tax, but I've never even come close to affording a house in my life (my income is fine, just I was sending money home to my mum for a long time so didn't have anywhere near the savings for a downpayment, or family help)

leftist heap
Feb 28, 2013

Fun Shoe
Owning a home does not seem to provide any insight into how property tax works AFAICT.

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

You don’t have to understand how it works, you just (auto)pay it like a bill. If you had to compute your own every year like you do with income tax I think a lot more people would learn how it works.

Femtosecond
Aug 2, 2003

Seems like the most significant gains are out in the burbs of Surrey/Langley, which makes sense, given that it was the cheapest housing to start with and accordingly has the most ability to rise. Similarly east van prices up biggly while milder on the more expensive west side.

New condos in Olympic Village/Mount Pleasant are flat lol. Turns out that during a pandemic people where people are shut in and the bars closed, people aren't terribly excited about paying $1000/sqft+ for a 600 sqft "Jr One Bedroom."

There's a narrative out there that house value gains in the 'burbs are being driven by Vancouverites being "priced out" of Vancouver. I'm sure there are some people moving further afield because they want a SFH that badly, a trend potentially enabled by hopes of flexible WFH post pandemic, though IMO it seems more likely to me that the driving force here is simply the same sort of lax lending, low interest rate environment that has pushed up prices this entire time. The Bank thinks that You're Richer Than You Think and is all too happy to lend you the money. People in the Surrey/Langley have decent enough incomes to support huge mortgages that banks are willing and able to lend. The reason we don't see similar gains in Vancouver is because Vancouver valuations have already eclipsed the price point that upper middle class incomes can support. The pool that can afford further bidding up is smaller.

If it is Vancouverites moving to the valley that is some catalyst for higher prices I suppose we'd see some sign of it in terms of an uptick in South of the Fraser to Vancouver commuting volumes, though given that WFH is still so prevalent, that sort of metric might not show the trend. Tbh I haven't seen anyone measure that sort of thing for a while.

Precambrian Video Games
Aug 19, 2002

I just declined a raise so I wouldn't be pushed up into a higher tax bracket and now I can't afford my property assessment tax hike, thanks Trudope!!

Fidelitious
Apr 17, 2018

MY BIRTH CRY WILL BE THE SOUND OF EVERY WALLET ON THIS PLANET OPENING IN UNISON.

Femtosecond posted:

If it is Vancouverites moving to the valley that is some catalyst for higher prices I suppose we'd see some sign of it in terms of an uptick in South of the Fraser to Vancouver commuting volumes, though given that WFH is still so prevalent, that sort of metric might not show the trend. Tbh I haven't seen anyone measure that sort of thing for a while.

You have to go so far east to get an appreciable price difference that I can't imagine most people would think it worth it in terms of commute. You could luck out and find a different job I suppose. I'm sure it's mostly just continuing immigrant growth and kids that are already there.

COPE 27
Sep 11, 2006

leftist heap posted:

Owning a home does not seem to provide any insight into how property tax works AFAICT.

The whining like clockwork every year in local newspapers that it's unfair to expect homeowners to come up with thousands of dollars for their tax bill, as if they didn't have the option of paying a couple hundred a month

Mantle
May 15, 2004

Or that the tax increase on the home that increased by hundreds of thousands of dollars this year is in the order of tens of dollars per month.

Tens I tell you!

Femtosecond
Aug 2, 2003

Fidelitious posted:

You have to go so far east to get an appreciable price difference that I can't imagine most people would think it worth it in terms of commute. You could luck out and find a different job I suppose. I'm sure it's mostly just continuing immigrant growth and kids that are already there.

If people are moving east I suspect it's a one town over shuffle.

The notion of moving from Vancouver to Abbotsford is absurd (to me anyway), but moving from Langley to Abbotsford and adding a bit of a commute back to your job in Langley is really not much of a big deal. I could see people making that choice.

qhat
Jul 6, 2015

Have you ever driven to Abbottsford from anywhere at any point? Abbottsford is like the last place I would move because of the traffic alone.

Femtosecond
Aug 2, 2003

The good news is that the highway between Abby and Langley is being widened! I'm sure this will solve all the issues.

Franks Happy Place
Mar 15, 2011

It is by weed alone I set my mind in motion. It is by the dank of Sapho that thoughts acquire speed, the lips acquire stains, stains become a warning. It is by weed alone I set my mind in motion.
Don't make me tap the sign.

(The sign says "Induced Demand")

Femtosecond
Aug 2, 2003

posting this image because this thread is so bafflingly tilted toward Victoria goons

https://twitter.com/zacdevries/status/1478565720971644932?s=20

Alctel
Jan 16, 2004

I love snails

Femtosecond posted:

posting this image because this thread is so bafflingly tilted toward Victoria goons

Yeah I saw this

This can't be sustainable, can it?

My friends who bought last year with help from their parents saw their house value go up like 200k

McGavin
Sep 18, 2012

Enjoy Sooke, poors! :homebrew:

kaom
Jan 20, 2007

It doesn’t feel sustainable in the slightest, and I can’t see how it’s a good thing from the government’s perspective either. It doesn’t increase the tax base thanks to how property taxes are calculated. Instead it just locks more and more money up in the banks. Wouldn’t it be much better for the economy if we have less of our income servicing debt, and more of it being invested or being spent on discretionary goods and services?

MeinPanzer
Dec 20, 2004
anyone who reads Cinema Discusso for anything more than slackjawed trolling will see the shittiness in my posts
Tangential to the bigger problem, but it's crazy that Highlands hasn't been opened up to development the way that the other Western Communities have. There's a ton of valuable undeveloped land there.

Claes Oldenburger
Apr 23, 2010

Metal magician!
:black101:

MeinPanzer posted:

Tangential to the bigger problem, but it's crazy that Highlands hasn't been opened up to development the way that the other Western Communities have. There's a ton of valuable undeveloped land there.

My guess is it’s similar to Metchosin? They want to maintain the area the way it is forever.

MickeyFinn
May 8, 2007
Biggie Smalls and Junior Mafia some mark ass bitches

Femtosecond posted:

Too much haha, pretty soon boo hoo.

MeinPanzer
Dec 20, 2004
anyone who reads Cinema Discusso for anything more than slackjawed trolling will see the shittiness in my posts

Claes Oldenburger posted:

My guess is it’s similar to Metchosin? They want to maintain the area the way it is forever.

Yeah, but surely it's just a matter of time before a council more amenable to development comes along...

Fidelitious
Apr 17, 2018

Femtosecond posted:

The responses on Twitter are a real treat.

Sooke lookin' good.

McGavin
Sep 18, 2012

On the other hand you'll be living in Sooke, with all the nudist woods wizards.

large hands
Jan 24, 2006

McGavin posted:

It's an awful commute from Sooke into town and the road closes pretty much every time any type of weather or accident happens. I had to drive out there from downtown for work for a while and it was bad enough, and that wasn't even going with the crawl

large hands
Jan 24, 2006
Mods please rename this thread to the Victoria Homeowner Megathread

Alctel
Jan 16, 2004

I love snails

large hands posted:

Mods please rename this thread to the Victoria Homeowner (and tenants) Megathread

Claes Oldenburger
Apr 23, 2010

Metal magician!
:black101:

McGavin posted:

You say this like it's a bad thing

large hands posted:

It's an awful commute from Sooke into town and the road closes pretty much every time any type of weather or accident happens. I had to drive out there from downtown for work for a while and it was bad enough, and that wasn't even going with the crawl

We hadn't been out farther than Metchosin yet until mid December but I get it now. A lot of people here in Victoria complain about distances and commute times that (imo) aren't actually that terrible, but I know it's all relative. The Sooke commute is real though, that poo poo would suck.

impossiboobs
Oct 2, 2006

I'm wondering if there are resources to find out the sale history of a house outside of the major city centres. I saw a site posted here not long ago, but it looks like it only works for Toronto/Ottawa/Vancouver/Etc. Is there some other way to find out the sale history for the rest of Canada, or am I out of luck here?

HookShot
Dec 26, 2005

impossiboobs posted:

I'm wondering if there are resources to find out the sale history of a house outside of the major city centres. I saw a site posted here not long ago, but it looks like it only works for Toronto/Ottawa/Vancouver/Etc. Is there some other way to find out the sale history for the rest of Canada, or am I out of luck here?

Redfin has this info for a lot of municipalities.

Koos Group
Mar 6, 2013
What does everyone think of eXXon for thread IK?

Powershift
Nov 23, 2009

Koos Group posted:

Maple Leafs fan? no thanks.

qhat
Jul 6, 2015

Powershift posted:

Maple Leafs fan? no thanks.

drat, that is a problem. Almost had me there.

Baronjutter
Dec 31, 2007

"Tiny Trains"

No one knows how taxes work and everyone thinks they know how taxes work. If I had a loonie for every time I heard someone get upset that their bonus might "push them into a higher tax bracket and actually make them lose money" or "actually the housing bubble is good because it means more tax income for cities" I'd have enough money to solve the housing crisis by building a massive Karl Marx-hof in downtown Victoria.

Koos Group
Mar 6, 2013

Koos Group posted:

I meant to post this in the Canpol thread, apologies.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

COPE 27
Sep 11, 2006

Baronjutter posted:

"actually the housing bubble is good because it means more tax income for cities"

This is how it should work imo