Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

fridge corn
Apr 2, 2003

NO MERCY, ONLY PAIN :black101:
Every year I think about getting a switch and every year I never do

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

JollyBoyJohn
Feb 13, 2019

For Real!

fridge corn posted:

its got a really nice screen to watch youtube on!

Stux
Nov 17, 2006
Probation
Can't post for 22 hours!

Party Boat posted:

This might be the year I get a Switch. My last console was a Wii so I've been PC only for a long long time

swithc and pc is the gamers choice

Amp
Sep 10, 2010

:11tea::bubblewoop::agesilaus::megaman::yoshi::squawk::supaburn::iit::spooky::axe::honked::shroom::smugdog::sg::pkmnwhy::parrot::screamy::tubular::corsair::sanix::yeeclaw::hayter::flip::redflag:

Stux posted:

Both of them have many games

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.
i got a 3ds last year so it's never too late

bone emulator
Nov 3, 2005

Wrrroavr

fridge corn posted:

If you wait long enough, they might finally release that Switch Pro

Silver Falcon
Dec 5, 2005

Two, three, four, five, six, seven, eight and barbecue your own drumsticks!

Rarity posted:

This is the track that made me cry my eyes out

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VZxK58tPU4I

I heartily approve! I adore that game and the music is but one huge selling point. My personal favorite is this one:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gV3GPuZjigY

It's a banger in a game chock full of bangers!

The 7th Guest
Dec 17, 2003

i forgot to include it in my graphics but these are the games on my list that are on Gamepass if you want to give them a try:

Psychonauts, Recompile, Flynn: Son of Crimson, Unpacking, The Gunk, Unsighted, The Forgotten City, Subnautica: Below Zero, Echo Generation, Backbone, Deedlit in Wonder Labyrinth, Mind Scanners, Last Stop, The Good Life, Mighty Goose, Library of Ruina, Omno, Boyfriend Dungeon, Halo Infinite, Moonglow Bay, Scarlet Nexus

and this was my favorite video game track of 2021

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ux3HGFb2HTg

followed by

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tQjUHtkN7MU

wuggles
Jul 12, 2017

the full version of Unbeatable is gonna own so fuckin hard

Party Boat
Nov 1, 2007

where did that other dog come from

who is he

Stux posted:

I already have all the indie darlings on PC but the Switch now has a good Mario, a good Zelda and a good Metroid. Not sure a console needs anything more than that.

Real hurthling!
Sep 11, 2001

Switch is a good choice when nintendo makes a dang banger and isnt jerking me around with mario spinoff titles that are worse than the ones from n64 and gamecube.
So like 2% of the time yeah it fuckin owns

galenanorth
May 19, 2016

I found Wheel of Fortune (2008) on archive.org, looks like it's one of those games where an old version is better than modern versions for phones because they stuff the app full of crud, and it takes up only 40 MB of hard drive space. The console version has Pat Sayjack but with the weird looking Mii avatars. Maybe I should've waited to post until I actually play it, but I also have a compulsion to hoard

edit: sorry, I meant to post that in the January thread

As long as I'm here, I nominate Strong Bad's Cool Game for Attractive People because it was my favorite game I played this year aside from Sonic the Hedgehog 1

galenanorth fucked around with this message at 18:43 on Jan 2, 2022

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.

galenanorth posted:

I found Wheel of Fortune (2008) on archive.org, looks like it's one of those games where an old version is better than modern versions for phones because they stuff the app full of crud, and it takes up only 40 MB of hard drive space. The console version has Pat Sayjack but with the weird looking Mii avatars. Maybe I should've waited to post until I actually play it, but I also have a compulsion to hoard

you absolutely 100% should have posted Wheel of Fortune (2008) on the 2021 GOTY list

(i played the hell out of the 2000-ish one back in the day when i was a kid)

Jordan7hm
Feb 17, 2011

Lipstick Apathy

The 7th Guest posted:

i forgot to include it in my graphics but these are the games on my list that are on Gamepass if you want to give them a try:

Psychonauts, Recompile, Flynn: Son of Crimson, Unpacking, The Gunk, Unsighted, The Forgotten City, Subnautica: Below Zero, Echo Generation, Backbone, Deedlit in Wonder Labyrinth, Mind Scanners, Last Stop, The Good Life, Mighty Goose, Library of Ruina, Omno, Boyfriend Dungeon, Halo Infinite, Moonglow Bay, Scarlet Nexus

and this was my favorite video game track of 2021

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ux3HGFb2HTg

followed by

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tQjUHtkN7MU

Also dodgeball acedemia, which I have been playing since reading your list. It’s great.

Mr E
Sep 18, 2007

I've already put 10s of hours into Unbeatable's demo, can't wait for the full release.

Psion
Dec 13, 2002

eVeN I KnOw wHaT CoRnEr gAs iS

Khanstant posted:

you can try but when Tower Unite banned me for 2 days and removed 2 of my models I spent 2 weeks making 13 unique hotdog centaurs as my revenge. there was also that time mods probated someone for cloaca and i drew a big cartoon about it brutally owning the mods in a way they will never recover from. so you can try to stop me but know that i am an unreasonable person with disproportionate art responses to the minorest of perceived slights.

I just want you to know, a buddy of mine found and is using one of your hotdog centaurs, totally unaware that you made them. I told him this story and he loves it.

Rosalind
Apr 30, 2013

When we hit our lowest point, we are open to the greatest change.

Welp I was too late in writing up my thoughts to make it in time for the vote but here's my list.

Most Disappointing Game of 2021
Returnal - I was so excited for this that it's the first game I bought when I managed to get my hands on a PS5. I booted it up played for hours and well... it's too hard. I can't get past the first area. I die to the first few enemies every time. I am not good at FPSes on console and this game provides no way forward for me. Even Dark Souls gives you experience, equipment, and coop options that you can use to make the game easier.

Returnal provides you with nothing. You can (as I did) spend a dozen hours dying to the same three types of enemies in the first few zones over and over and over again with no progress. It will forever be the game I am not good enough to play.

Favorite Games of 2021
10. Jackbox Party Pack 7
Something that helped keep my mood up during COVID has been being able to play games with friends, but not all my friends are playing FFXIV religiously. Jackbox is the one thing you can use to play with pretty much anyone--parents, family, friends, coworkers--and know that you'll have a good time. Party Pack 7 has the best selection of crowdpleasing games. Quiplash is always a favorite, but Blather Round can be amazingly fun too.

9 Deathloop
I got this when it released due to a friend who wouldn't stop talking about it. It's a great sandbox. I love that there's only 4 real maps but each changes at different time points. Though you can acquire a lot of equipment, a lot of the progress comes from knowledge of the levels. My only wish is that there had been more variety in the guns.

8. Bloodborne
Ok so I haven't played a ton of Bloodborne this year--I think I started a run with the chikage but had to stop halfway through because I was moving, but in terms of games that I spend a lot of time thinking about Bloodborne is definitely number one.

7. NYT Mini Crossword
Normalcy was a rare commodity in 2021. Doing the NYT mini crossword over tea every morning and comparing my time with my mom became a small ritual that made life feel a bit more normal.

6. Valheim
I spent less time playing Valheim and more time witnessing my friends transform it from a survival game into an early industrial era manufacturing simulator. We all started together on a private server--scrounging for wood, making our first primitive forts, and dying repeatedly to trolls. However, they quickly surpassed me and were soon building elaborate palaces with careful fortifications and an assembly line setup for manufacturing goods. Hell, their ore supply chain was less sensitive to disruption than the real world one.

5. Tony Hawk Pro Skater 1 + 2
I still suck at it compared to everyone online who seemingly can land 200k+ combos as if they were nothing, but I'll just be over here, doing 3k and 4k combos like they're impressive and enjoying the killer soundtrack.

4. Mass Effect Legendary Edition
It's the best Bioware RPG series ever made and though the story itself is just ok, the way it's told is excellent. I have put 100s of hours into this series and easily added another 100+ hours to the tally this year.

3. Demon's Souls (PS5 Remake)
I had never played the original and was excited to experience it for the first time, though I also worried that the faithful remake would show the creakiness of the first Souls game. It doesn't at all. The game holds up and is a ton of fun to play. The bosses are probably the weakest element but there's a ton of interesting ones all the same.

2. Life is Strange True Colors
I love the Life is Strange series. This one feels like the most well executed so far. Though the story isn't anything particularly unique, it has an important message about the strength of community against big corporate interests. The voice acting and animation are top notch this time around too.

1. Final Fantasy XIV: Endwalker
What can I say about Endwalker that hasn't been said a million times before? Perhaps I can mention that it had me ugly crying at multiple occasions. Or that in total over the course of the expansion's story I cried no less than 17 times. No game has made me care more about its characters, its world, and its story. FFXIV, with the release of Endwalker, is the most compelling JRPG ever made and it tells the most epic, fulfilling story that has ever been told in a video game.

Jay Rust
Sep 27, 2011

Gonna suck when FFXIV loses by one point because YOU didn't enter in time

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Carly shook her glass, willing the ice to melt. "You still haven't told me what the mission is."

She leaned forward. "We are going to assassinate the bad men of Hollywood."

I petition to have Rosalind's list included in the final count because it contains a Life is Strange game and does not contain 12 Minutes, my mortal enemy game.

Rarity
Oct 21, 2010

~*4 LIFE*~

Jay Rust posted:

:unsmigghh:

Rosalind
Apr 30, 2013

When we hit our lowest point, we are open to the greatest change.

Jay Rust posted:

Alas I was too busy playing FFXIV with every free moment of my time and not checking the forums. Hoisted on my own catgirl.

Real hurthling!
Sep 11, 2001

Order reigns: ff17 will be an mmorpg
Chaos reign: ff7 remake 2 will be an mmorpg

Runa
Feb 13, 2011

I have zero faith in SE atm and am just hoping they don't screw up 14 down the line

Help Im Alive
Nov 8, 2009

I believe in Creative Business Unit III

ParliamentOfDogs
Jan 29, 2009

My genre's thriller... What's yours?
On the other hand it is the only list on this page and possibly the last list we will get so I read it more carefully then all the other lists so who really won here?

ChrisBTY
Mar 29, 2012

this glorious monument

I played FFXIV halfway through Heavensward over the course of 2 stints in the game and I can not imagine it being good enough to win GotY by a gazillion points.
I guess you have to like MMO mechanics enough to get through the amazing story.

Jay Rust
Sep 27, 2011

No one seems to talk about the gameplay (I'll be honest I skimmed through every FFXIV write-up )

Regy Rusty
Apr 26, 2010

The gameplay is really fun, but most jobs take a bit to get there. Still if you made it to Heavensward and still weren't having fun then yeah you just don't like it probably.

cheetah7071
Oct 20, 2010

honk honk
College Slice
gameplay is fun, but isn't why it was my number 2. Shadowbringers made it into my top te last year entirely on the basis of gameplay

Zomborgon
Feb 19, 2014

I don't even want to see what happens if you gain CHIM outside of a pre-coded system.

Jay Rust posted:

No one seems to talk about the gameplay (I'll be honest I skimmed through every FFXIV write-up )

I talked about one of the jobs, since my main was one that got a lot of changes! But yeah I can understand not wanting to read through every textwall.

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

The gameplay is basically the same as it's been since 2012, so outside of boss mechanics and job specific changes there's not much to really talk about?

Kerrzhe
Nov 5, 2008

i have been playing the newest melee class, Reaper, which is extremely edgy and cool, and also very fun to play. it has a crazy apeshitt burst phase that has awesome sfx and visuals and feels very cool to do. plus it has a nifty movement ability and an awesome heal-the-party move that requires good timing and fight knowledge to really maximize. i enjoy it a lot. it combines big dick damage numbers with a bit of party support and that makes me happy!

i can spend my evenings either farming gatherer materia, i can spam out crafted items, or just hop into party finder and farm the two EX boss fights, both of which are fun and only take about ten minutes per run.

the only thing i am NOT happy about is i have seen 3 mount drops today and i couldn't roll above a loving 50!!!!!

Stux
Nov 17, 2006
Probation
Can't post for 22 hours!
this ithread is now for talking about old school runescape. the pheonix pet in my post is a 1/5000 drop and i love it. what color should i make it:

Kerrzhe
Nov 5, 2008

purple or white

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

Sakurazuka posted:

The gameplay is basically the same as it's been since 2012, so outside of boss mechanics and job specific changes there's not much to really talk about?

It can be hard to convey to someone who isn't a player but I would say that the boss fights in Endwalker dungeons and trials have been a lot of fun so far, and pretty clever. People generally don't like when you talk about specific mechanics outside of spoilers but I do think the fight have been more fun this time than in any previous expansion, even the solo duty battles (especially the last one). Encounter and job design have been continuously improving, even if the core gameplay systems are still the same.

Stux posted:

this ithread is now for talking about old school runescape. the pheonix pet in my post is a 1/5000 drop and i love it. what color should i make it:

It's extremely Basic but I'm feeling the orange

Runa
Feb 13, 2011

Classic orange

Hwurmp
May 20, 2005

groenix

biceps crimes
Apr 12, 2008

Stux posted:

green b/c weed

Fate Accomplice
Nov 30, 2006

Rosalind posted:

I am not good at FPSes on console and this game provides no way forward for me

are you by chance left handed?

I am, and quick accurate movements with my right thumb are super difficult.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Looper
Mar 1, 2012

Stux posted:

purple