Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

waffle enthusiast
Nov 16, 2007

Get the Orvis. It’s one of the best rods at that price point and you could fish it for the rest of your life without ever having to worry that your equipment is holding you back. If you really get into the sport and develop an acquisition disorder (a common problem), you can turn it into your backpacking/beater rod.

Orvis is also just a solid company in general.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

LeeMajors
Jan 20, 2005

I've gotta stop fantasizing about Lee Majors...
Ah, one more!

waffle enthusiast posted:

Get the Orvis. It’s one of the best rods at that price point and you could fish it for the rest of your life without ever having to worry that your equipment is holding you back. If you really get into the sport and develop an acquisition disorder (a common problem), you can turn it into your backpacking/beater rod.

Orvis is also just a solid company in general.

That's fair. I'd be 63 before it is out of warranty.

Is there a huge disadvantage to the 6 piece? It'd be nice to carry with me on my bike to other places, but the 4 piece would probably do just as fine.

Most of my spin- and casting-rods are one-piece except my big surf rod, but I didn't know if there was any real disadvantage to having more junctions.

waffle enthusiast
Nov 16, 2007

I’ve never fished a six piece. But I can’t help but feel like you’d be giving up some touch with that many pieces. The only real use case I could see is backpacking, but I carry a four piece Orvis Recon into the backcountry just fine.

Four piece is a pretty standard configuration and I’d recommend it if you’re just starting out.

Dik Hz
Feb 22, 2004

Fun with Science

LeeMajors posted:

That's fair. I'd be 63 before it is out of warranty.

Is there a huge disadvantage to the 6 piece? It'd be nice to carry with me on my bike to other places, but the 4 piece would probably do just as fine.

Most of my spin- and casting-rods are one-piece except my big surf rod, but I didn't know if there was any real disadvantage to having more junctions.
Fly rods don’t have dead spots at the ferrules any more so a 2-piece and a 6er will cast the same. 6 pieces is easier to transport but dealing with 5 ferrules can be obnoxious if they don’t fit perfectly.

Personally I prefer short slow glass rods so I’m really glad I didn’t drop big money on graphite when I was starting. Also 2 piece rods are less of an issue when you’re casting 7’ glass rods.

Honestly, it’s just personal preference and won’t impact you either way. Like I said earlier, there really aren’t any bad rods out there any more. Deadspots , weird tapers, lovely ferrules, mis-spaced guides, etc. are largely a thing of the past as the manufacturing costs have come way down and technology has improved.

Valt
May 14, 2006

Oh HELL yeah.
Ultra Carp
Really the encounter outfit is a really good deal. I have a 5wt 9 foot encounter rod and I really like it. It’s ready to rock and roll right out of the box.

https://www.orvis.com/encounter-fly...54aAiukEALw_wcB

LeeMajors
Jan 20, 2005

Ah, one more!

Valt posted:

Really the encounter outfit is a really good deal. I have a 5wt 9 foot encounter rod and I really like it. It’s ready to rock and roll right out of the box.

https://www.orvis.com/encounter-fly...54aAiukEALw_wcB

If they sold the encounter rod solo I'd be into it, but BiL bought me a nice preloaded reel for me to learn on. He's a beginner himself and he lives 2k mi away.

That was actually the outfit I was thinking of picking up before the gift lol.

Valt
May 14, 2006

Oh HELL yeah.
Ultra Carp

LeeMajors posted:

If they sold the encounter rod solo I'd be into it, but BiL bought me a nice preloaded reel for me to learn on. He's a beginner himself and he lives 2k mi away.

That was actually the outfit I was thinking of picking up before the gift lol.

I would just say having a second reel is not a bad thing. You can always load it with sinking tip fly line so you have more options.

Dik Hz
Feb 22, 2004

Fun with Science

Valt posted:

I would just say having a second reel is not a bad thing. You can always load it with sinking tip fly line so you have more options.
Dude has never cast a fly rod and y’all are already pushing a second reel and line on him. Smdh

Fly fishing has an image of inaccessibility problem. I’m fighting the good fight but y’all are making it hard. :p

Valt
May 14, 2006

Oh HELL yeah.
Ultra Carp

Dik Hz posted:

Dude has never cast a fly rod and y’all are already pushing a second reel and line on him. Smdh

Fly fishing has an image of inaccessibility problem. I’m fighting the good fight but y’all are making it hard. :p

Except he was looking at clearwater rods which are more then the encounter outfit? Someone gave him the reel, and unlike normal rod and reel fishing having different types of flyline loaded up and ready to go is nice.

waffle enthusiast
Nov 16, 2007

Dik Hz posted:

Let’s keep in mind OP also has to budget for a metronome and creel.

King of Bees
Dec 28, 2012
Gravy Boat 2k

Wicker or?...

crazypeltast52
May 5, 2010

GOONFISH ICE CLASSIC (1/29-1/30/2022) Lake Minnetonka, MN

Continuing to promote the upcoming goonfish, we will be meeting on Excelsior Bay starting at 9 AM and going until like 3 or so. Drop in whenever, leave whenever. I have augers, rods and a heated ice tent. You just need to dress warm and have a fishing license (MN sells 2-day ones if you are only fishing the once)

Park here and walk northeast until you are on the water and see goons (You'll know us when you see us).
https://www.ci.excelsior.mn.us/181/For-Visitors-Customers

Safety Dance
Sep 10, 2007

Five degrees to starboard!

charliebravo77 posted:

Had a hell of a day fishing the Chicago River in downtown Chicago. It was my third time trying the river and first successful day. Caught everything on a drop shot with a sexee tail shad. Probably 12-15 fish total. Mostly largies with a handful of bluegill too.

This is dope.

I hear you can eat like 6 fish / year from the Chicago River these days!

gay picnic defence
Oct 5, 2009

I'M CONCERNED ABOUT A NUMBER OF THINGS
I stayed with a friend over the Christmas/new year break, he let me use his Stella/Ocean Plugger combo and now I can’t stop looking at spinning setups that cost more than my car. That Stella is a thing of absolute beauty

Sickening
Jul 16, 2007

Black summer was the best summer.
It takes a single case of line twist to understand why spinning sucks.

titties
May 10, 2012

They're like two suicide notes stuffed into a glitter bra

My friend bought a 40 dollar fly combo complete with line and reel at Walmart, got drunk as hell at 7 am and pulled 2 trout out of the river having never fly fished in his life. He only hooked human flesh once and it was his own

Ghostnuke
Sep 21, 2005

Throw this in a pot, add some broth, a potato? Baby you got a stew going!

Sickening posted:

It takes a single case of line twist to understand why spinning sucks.

I mean... it takes one backlash to arrive at the same conclusion

Sickening
Jul 16, 2007

Black summer was the best summer.

Ghostnuke posted:

I mean... it takes one backlash to arrive at the same conclusion

A backlash on a modern baitcaster is barely an inconvenience. Once you start noticing the line twist you might not have enough line left on the spool to salvage. Spinning sucks...

I won't even throw on spinning tackle for panfish. I just use bfs.

Hekk
Oct 12, 2012

'smeper fi

crazypeltast52 posted:

Continuing to promote the upcoming goonfish, we will be meeting on Excelsior Bay starting at 9 AM and going until like 3 or so. Drop in whenever, leave whenever. I have augers, rods and a heated ice tent. You just need to dress warm and have a fishing license (MN sells 2-day ones if you are only fishing the once)

Park here and walk northeast until you are on the water and see goons (You'll know us when you see us).

Quoting this here to confirm that I will be at goonfish Lake Minnetonka. I have ordered Carhartt Yukon Extremes bibs and jacket and will pick up a cheap winter rod/reel combo before the event.

Let me know what kind of line and tackle I should pick up. I've never ice fished before and am sure I need to get whatever stuff we need to catch fishes.

I will also supply some beer for the event to keep us hydrated.

Edit- Also vaxxed and boosted. I know covid safety precautions are always a consideration.

Hekk fucked around with this message at 05:20 on Jan 5, 2022

gay picnic defence
Oct 5, 2009

I'M CONCERNED ABOUT A NUMBER OF THINGS
Spinning is all I do and I’ve never had an issue with line twist unless I’m using a lure that actually spins like a Tassie Devil or a spinner.

charliebravo77
Jun 11, 2003

Safety Dance posted:

This is dope.

I hear you can eat like 6 fish / year from the Chicago River these days!

Yeah, I don't know if I'd eat them any time soon but the river has come a long way in recent years. One of the figures quoted by the tour boats I kept overhearing was that since the 70s the river has gone from 10 species of fish to over 70. The fish I caught were pretty healthy looking and actually bigger than most bass and bluegill I've caught elsewhere around Chicagoland. A few looked pretty pale but that's more of a sunlight thing than water quality issue probably. Pretty excited to give it a go again soon if it's not super cold out.

Ghostnuke
Sep 21, 2005

gay picnic defence posted:

Spinning is all I do and I’ve never had an issue with line twist unless I’m using a lure that actually spins like a Tassie Devil or a spinner.

same, it's literally never been a problem

crazypeltast52
May 5, 2010

Hekk posted:

Quoting this here to confirm that I will be at goonfish Lake Minnetonka. I have ordered Carhartt Yukon Extremes bibs and jacket and will pick up a cheap winter rod/reel combo before the event.

Let me know what kind of line and tackle I should pick up. I've never ice fished before and am sure I need to get whatever stuff we need to catch fishes.

I will also supply some beer for the event to keep us hydrated.

Edit- Also vaxxed and boosted. I know covid safety precautions are always a consideration.

Thanks Hekk! I am also vaxxed and boosted. I think we are going to be targeting panfish for the first day at least, so little jigs for the end of the line and I’ll probably bring mealworms or something for bait. I also have a thing of little jigs too so you’ll have options.

charliebravo77
Jun 11, 2003

crazypeltast52 posted:

Vaxxed, boosted and ready to fish.

hot cocoa on the couch
Dec 8, 2009

gay picnic defence posted:

same here as well, but i also make my own spinners and integrate a swivel into them as well and use them often. they're my #1 smallie catcher

Ghostnuke
Sep 21, 2005

wish I could make it out to purify my jigging raps in the waters of lake minnetonka

Pham Nuwen
Oct 30, 2010

I live on the San Francisco peninsula. I'm 5 minutes drive from a public fishing pier, and 15 minutes from the beach at Pacifica. I'd like to be able to go to either place and catch fish & crabs. I've seen guys surf-casting for crabs at Pacifica, but I don't know a drat thing about saltwater fishing... is that a completely different rod & reel setup than the guys standing on the end of the pier? My only fishing experience is freshwater, and not a lot at that. What should I look at to start with, and how much would I expect to spend? I just want to catch tasty fish.

LeeMajors
Jan 20, 2005

Ah, one more!

Settled on a 9' 5wt TFO NXT Black Label for my first fly rod. Ordered it with a 6 pack of bass bugs and a small fly box. Ready to make this thing happen :gizz:

Watching bass hit topwater on youtube got me really jacked for this. I just need to find a local class to get good cast instruction.

Crab Dad
Dec 28, 2002

behold i have tempered and refined thee, but not as silver; as CRAB

Pham Nuwen posted:

I live on the San Francisco peninsula. I'm 5 minutes drive from a public fishing pier, and 15 minutes from the beach at Pacifica. I'd like to be able to go to either place and catch fish & crabs. I've seen guys surf-casting for crabs at Pacifica, but I don't know a drat thing about saltwater fishing... is that a completely different rod & reel setup than the guys standing on the end of the pier? My only fishing experience is freshwater, and not a lot at that. What should I look at to start with, and how much would I expect to spend? I just want to catch tasty fish.

It’s complicated…. At its core you could chase some surf perch to start with however they are not very big and pretty bony. However the gear you need if fishing off a pier is an extremely low bar to meet. Any 10lb test gear and a surf leader with size 10 hooks and small strips of squid will catch you something. Using a ring trap for crabs would most likely work just fine too.
Now if you want to work the surf you need much bigger stronger gear to cast far out past the breakers and specialized clothing to not get too wet.
You wanna really get into an under utilized fishery that’s much more active you can research poke pole in tide pools. Pretty low on the required gear and you can haul out some decent fish. Also kinda dangerous and you need pay much more attention to the tide.

Pham Nuwen
Oct 30, 2010

Crab Dad posted:

It’s complicated…. At its core you could chase some surf perch to start with however they are not very big and pretty bony. However the gear you need if fishing off a pier is an extremely low bar to meet. Any 10lb test gear and a surf leader with size 10 hooks and small strips of squid will catch you something. Using a ring trap for crabs would most likely work just fine too.
Now if you want to work the surf you need much bigger stronger gear to cast far out past the breakers and specialized clothing to not get too wet.
You wanna really get into an under utilized fishery that’s much more active you can research poke pole in tide pools. Pretty low on the required gear and you can haul out some decent fish. Also kinda dangerous and you need pay much more attention to the tide.

I've got a Shimano Sienna 2500FE spinning reel and a Shimano Sojourn rod (two-piece, 6'6" long, marked for 6-14lb mono, 10-20lb braided, lure weight 1/8-5/8 oz, medium power, fast action) that I've used a couple times for freshwater. Are either of those potentially suitable down at the pier?

Yooper
Apr 30, 2012

crazypeltast52 posted:

I'm going to try to make it. Work has been crazy with COVID downtime so I might be stuck here.

Crab Dad
Dec 28, 2002

Pham Nuwen posted:

I've got a Shimano Sienna 2500FE spinning reel and a Shimano Sojourn rod (two-piece, 6'6" long, marked for 6-14lb mono, 10-20lb braided, lure weight 1/8-5/8 oz, medium power, fast action) that I've used a couple times for freshwater. Are either of those potentially suitable down at the pier?

Should be fine for a pier. 12lb mono would be the biggest I would go. Try the surf leaders with a 1-2 oz diamond weight so you can really fling it.
Sand dabs are excellent eating so hopefully there’s that. They have small mouths though but will hit on anything including a bit of yarn.
Croakers are known for being wormy but plentiful. If you catch one you’ll catch 10. They move in big schools.
If you see kelp tossing a heavy jig (2oz at least) near the kelp and letting it drop in front of it may get you a rock fish. I don’t know where the kelp is near the pier though. It may not be in reach.

Ok looked at a satellite picture. It’s not great it’s almost all sand with no cover but the pier itself. However casting off into the area right behind the breakers might get you some barred surf perch.

Crab Dad
Dec 28, 2002

The surf perch will be eating sand crabs kicked up by the surf. Pretty easy to dig em up in the sand close to the water line. No claws can’t hurt you. Kinda tickle in the hand.

Pham Nuwen
Oct 30, 2010

Crab Dad posted:

Should be fine for a pier. 12lb mono would be the biggest I would go. Try the surf leaders with a 1-2 oz diamond weight so you can really fling it.
Sand dabs are excellent eating so hopefully there’s that. They have small mouths though but will hit on anything including a bit of yarn.
Croakers are known for being wormy but plentiful. If you catch one you’ll catch 10. They move in big schools.
If you see kelp tossing a heavy jig (2oz at least) near the kelp and letting it drop in front of it may get you a rock fish. I don’t know where the kelp is near the pier though. It may not be in reach.

Ok looked at a satellite picture. It’s not great it’s almost all sand with no cover but the pier itself. However casting off into the area right behind the breakers might get you some barred surf perch.

Any thoughts on the pier near the Brisbane marina? It's inside the bay and a bit easier for me to get to; it's the one I had in mind when I was posting about pier-fishing, although I appreciate your notes on the Pacifica pier too.

Cool to hear that my existing gear should be fine, I'll run down to the local tackle shop and get some heavier line put on. You recommend a 1-2 oz diamond weight, but the rod says lure weight up to 5/8 oz... what's the story there? Does it risk damaging the rod, or are Shimano just saying "it'll work best with this size lure"?

Crab Dad posted:

The surf perch will be eating sand crabs kicked up by the surf. Pretty easy to dig em up in the sand close to the water line. No claws can’t hurt you. Kinda tickle in the hand.

So I can just go down with a bucket & a shovel and dig up a bunch of sand crabs for bait? These guys, right?

Crab Dad
Dec 28, 2002

Oh yeah it won’t hurt your pole to fling those around.

Yes those are the exact crabs but smaller the better.

That other pier looks like all mudflats. Most exciting thing you could catch would be rays or small leopard or brown dogfish. Otherwise it’s more croaker, staghorn sculpin, sand dabs, diamond turbot, shiner surf perch, top smelt and possibly highly not likely but stranger things could happen a small halibut.
Personally wouldn’t eat anything from it.

crazypeltast52
May 5, 2010

Yooper posted:

I'm going to try to make it. Work has been crazy with COVID downtime so I might be stuck here.

Hoping you can make it with your Yooper icefishing secrets!

LeeMajors
Jan 20, 2005

Ah, one more!

I think I ordered bass bugs that are too big for my leader :rolleyes: so I’m just gonna probably pick up some smaller flies and maybe a few little panfish poppers just to get the feel for it for awhile.

A Pack of Kobolds
Mar 23, 2007

LeeMajors posted:

panfish poppers

:bisonyes:

Dik Hz
Feb 22, 2004

Fun with Science

LeeMajors posted:

I think I ordered bass bugs that are too big for my leader :rolleyes: so I’m just gonna probably pick up some smaller flies and maybe a few little panfish poppers just to get the feel for it for awhile.

Yeah I’ve made this mistake a couple times too. If anyone has a link to good bass poppers that you can cast with a 4wt, link that poo poo.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

LeeMajors
Jan 20, 2005

Ah, one more!

Dik Hz posted:

Yeah I’ve made this mistake a couple times too. If anyone has a link to good bass poppers that you can cast with a 4wt, link that poo poo.

I’ll likely have to send them back. The leader prespooled is a 4x and I just snagged a 6 pack of bass bugs with my order. Then I started reading a bit on leader selection and fly sizes and I was like OH I have no idea what I’m buying here.

I hope I can effectively bass fish our ponds on a 5wt setup eventually, but I’m not ready to switch out leaders yet considering I’ve never tied a nail knot.

I am anxious to see how big bluegills have gotten in our neighborhood ponds, and itll almost certainly float the small panfish poppers I’ve seen around, right? :ohdear: