Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Shumagorath
Jun 6, 2001
PMC karma will be rough if they don't somehow balance out the USEC vs BEAR numbers.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

fknlo
Jul 6, 2009

Fun Shoe
I think pmc karma changes this game very heavily away from having any sort of actual pvp focus. I don’t know what you have left after that.

Commissar Kip
Nov 9, 2009

Imperial Commissariat's uplifting primer.

Shake once.
You'll have left what the game has been described as for ages: "a hardcore story-driven MMO featuring elements of FPS and RPG".

Hardcore is not just "shoot everyone in the head". Just because the game has been focussing on combat it doesn't mean PvP is the sole focus. Players made PvP the sole focus because that was all there was to do ingame. The game is essentially a PvEvP game where the Environment is almost deadlier than players at times. VoIP, factions, karma, wandering traders -- it'll all create a game that needs players to actively think about what they are doing in a raid and whether taking that rep hit will be worth it in the long run. They are even adding an Arena mode for the PvP chads with bloodlust.

People sometimes quote Nikita saying "Tarkov is not a fun game" like he said "this is a PvP game where you poo poo on or get poo poo on" while his closer meaning is like "exercise and sport aren't fun, but the reward can be". The game is hardcore because it's difficult. Adding the fact that people need to check their fire will add an extra level of difficulty that people aren't used to because we now have this idea that everyone is a murderhobo and "if I don't get them they get me". Sure the game isn't supposed to be "let's all be friends and hold hands" but it's also not supposed to be "murderhobo kills everyone trying to escape from Tarkov over a sparkplug".

Been playing this poo poo since 2017 and it's finally becoming what it was promised to be. Sure, people will leave because they just want to PvP and dunk on people. But I'm sure a ton of people will still be around to actually, you know, Escape from Tarkov.

Commissar Kip fucked around with this message at 00:23 on Jan 3, 2022

TheTofuShop
Aug 28, 2009

Agoat posted:

I used to enjoy playing the market in this game, but I remember they raised the level cap to get into it

Did they ever put it back? is the player market even still around?

They have also restricted a bunch of high tier Armor/Ammo/Guns/Gear from being bought and sold on the Flea this wipe, so hitting Lv 15 and unlocking Flea doesnt mean you can convert your roubles into underpriced Class5+ Armor and Good Bullets anymore, and you cannot print money by crafting ammo in your hideout anymore.

It has also had the effect of making people run much more scrappy gear at this point in the wipe as a whole, when normally a lot of us goons would be rolling around in Altyns, TacTecs, and AACPCs by now.

Babe Magnet
Jun 2, 2008

"the only thing to do in the game is PvP, so it's the player's fault that they mostly did PvP" is a weird take but alright

Shumagorath
Jun 6, 2001
I got through a queue of >120k and am still getting 504 errors managing my inventory, so you probably don't want to play tonight.

Commissar Kip
Nov 9, 2009

Shake once.

Babe Magnet posted:

"the only thing to do in the game is PvP, so it's the player's fault that they mostly did PvP" is a weird take but alright

If that's the only thing you took out of my comment while ignoring the rest then yeah, you've got a weird take there. Good thing that this is you reading into that line and not me actually using words like "fault" or "blaming" players.

Babe Magnet
Jun 2, 2008

I did read the rest, I just agreed with most of it so I didn't call anything else out. Calm down.

Just because you didn't use specific words doesn't mean you didn't say it.

Commissar Kip posted:

Players made PvP the sole focus

is literally blaming the players lol

I'm not against the game expanding the hell out of it's PvE and potentially giving players a reason to hesitate before blasting other players away or anything, I love games like Hunt and Sea of Thieves because of the PvPvE elements, I just feel like the game has a long way to go before it gets there, if it even can since Hardcore MMOs almost universally suck a ton of rear end. Maybe Tarkov will finally break the trend lol.

Shumagorath posted:

I got through a queue of >120k and am still getting 504 errors managing my inventory, so you probably don't want to play tonight.

yeah I was in a similar boat, 120k queue and immediately start getting server poo poo. I just wanna run my scav........

Babe Magnet fucked around with this message at 01:02 on Jan 3, 2022

Stux
Nov 17, 2006
Probation
Can't post for 6 days!
reaction time of a slug or afk in an incredibly stupid spot, who can say

https://i.imgur.com/IJiL8cb.mp4

Babe Magnet
Jun 2, 2008

the double barrel is so fun, I'm super glad it's in the game now

you can't make it sawn-off yet, right? only thing it's missing. Let me cut that bitch so far down it fits in my pistol holster lol

Phoix
Jul 20, 2006

I've been playing around with SPT-AKI since the twitch drops started and the servers caught on fire. Offline Tarkov is obviously not as good but it's still hilarious when the AI flips you off through a window just as it dies.

Shumagorath
Jun 6, 2001
Someone tell me not to buy Insurgency: Sandstorm while it's on sale.

Stux
Nov 17, 2006
Probation
Can't post for 6 days!

Babe Magnet posted:

the double barrel is so fun, I'm super glad it's in the game now

you can't make it sawn-off yet, right? only thing it's missing. Let me cut that bitch so far down it fits in my pistol holster lol

im only going to use trash loadouts this wipe and the double and revolver shotguns WILL be a coreo item for me. also

havnt used it yet

Babe Magnet
Jun 2, 2008

yeah that seems much shorter but I was thinking cut real low, and the there only seems to be one butt-stock, no cut down like the obrez. It'll get added eventually I'm sure.

I can't seem to make the revolver shotgun work for me as well as the double. I do like them both, maybe just unlucky lol

you using magnum buck? or slugs?

Stux
Nov 17, 2006
Probation
Can't post for 6 days!
im going with buckshot for now but im not discounting the possibility of double tap ap-20s in dorms later on

aniviron
Sep 11, 2014

Shumagorath posted:

Someone tell me not to buy Insurgency: Sandstorm while it's on sale.

Don't buy Insurgency: Sandstorm while it's on sale.

Shumagorath
Jun 6, 2001
Insurgency / Squad / Ready or Not all seem like less fun without the abusive gambling element of Tarkov, and it's sorta disturbing I'm looking at a new game because the BSG launcher is dead.

E: Got in, got Big Sale and Secured Perimeter done but discovered you can't flea Pilgrims anymore. Dumb as gently caress.

Shumagorath fucked around with this message at 04:11 on Jan 3, 2022

Stux
Nov 17, 2006
Probation
Can't post for 6 days!
https://i.imgur.com/wFgVCMg.mp4

hiding in the bush from the limping scav i legged with my last four rounds before getting tozd because i didnt keep running

hello internet
Sep 13, 2004

fknlo posted:

I think pmc karma changes this game very heavily away from having any sort of actual pvp focus. I don’t know what you have left after that.

PMC karma would change it into a "no one wants to play it" kind of game.

Stux
Nov 17, 2006
Probation
Can't post for 6 days!
good

abigserve
Sep 13, 2009

this is a better avatar than what I had before
I can see tarkov working really well as a primarily PvE experience but it definitely has a long way to go to get there and the karma changes, to me, feel like the cart getting before the horse.

Commissar Kip
Nov 9, 2009

Shake once.

abigserve posted:

I can see tarkov working really well as a primarily PvE experience but it definitely has a long way to go to get there and the karma changes, to me, feel like the cart getting before the horse.

Because they first focussed on one aspect and only later started to add more of the overall PvE/Faction/hardcore mechanics after years of "ignoring" it. This, combined with the game gaining popularity through twitch and youtube where big streamers mainly PvP, created the overall idea that PvP is the sole focus of the game. Inertia already slowed down the game, adding the need to "check fire" lest you kill a wandering trader or get PMC karma hits further slows it all down. The initial announcement video literally has the "two groups of PMCs get into a shootout but the surviving PMCs set aside their difference to gently caress up scavs" trope that's also seen in the RAID mini-movie trying to relay the idea that even though PMCs shoot each other at times they shoot scavs even more. The RAID mini-movie further cements the idea that you as a PMC got hosed over by your corp and you need to Escape from Tarkov which involves sometimes being friendly with other PMCs who also want to survive.

Did they gently caress up by painting one picture (PvP shooter) for years while later pushing more of the MMO RPG aspect with karma (reputation)? 100%. Is it the "fault" of the player base for them assuming it's PvP all the way? No, because the information players get (even people who have been playing for years) is minimal due to BSG wanting players to "experience and discover" their new changes. For example, Scav Karma is still not fully detailed and the wiki doesn't show any tables or other explanation other than "you get negative karma", but it doesn't fully state WHAT happens when you hit negative karma. No word of how long the scav cooldown timer will be. No word of the loottable changes.

I bet most players just want to play and click heads, and not read a wiki to see what the intricate changes are to a submechanic that might gently caress you over in the long run. The subreddit is full of new (and returning) players complaining they hosed up their rep because they didn't know the mechanic worked like that. Personally I’m one of those people who is used to janky poo poo (STALKER and STALKER mods, Kenshi etc) so I’m used that not everything is known when a game has complicated sub mechanics and I trawl through wiki’s and guides to figure out how the game “ticks”. Not everyone likes that poo poo though -- I'd imagine I'd feel the same though if I got a game solely based on watching top streamers wipe lobbies with the idea that the game is to kill or be killed.

I mean, when the airdrops started happening and I was watching Pestily (for the drops) his chat just blew up with people going "IT'S LIKE RUST" "IT'S LIKE PUBG" only for him to have to go "guys this game is nothing like that and it won't ever be". The only "bad" VoIP interactions I have had so far were basically people trying to recreate videos of streamers tricking people or who take the Rust/CoD approach of talking poo poo over VoIP. And even then it's clear these people have no idea what the gently caress they are doing -- because multiple shittalkers got smoked by me due to them deciding to load their .366 Vepr with 7.62x39 for example. All I fault BSG for is not painting a clear picture to players who think they are getting the next PUBG/Rust style battle royale hardcore shooter, but who then get confronted with a totally different game later on in development.

hello internet posted:

The game was "dead" for years (empty servers, being the only person to spawn in on a raid) and only really started gaining traction since twitch/youtube blew it up. Every change people clamor that the game is going to die because [mechanical change]. Inertia "killed the game". Scav karma "killed the game". I've even seen people make the argument that not having quicknades "killed the game".

I'm sure people will still play the game if PMC karma hits. And else BSG has had a ton of investments from players who quit, so people like those who I play with can do the PvEvP/PvPvE stuff they've been waiting for. So it's not a "no one wants to play it" kind of game, it's more a "people who want to play this type of game want to play it" kind of game.

Commissar Kip fucked around with this message at 10:15 on Jan 3, 2022

Wrr
Aug 8, 2010

Playing Tarkov single player mod while the servers were dead makes me even more pro-intertia than I was before. The single player mod isn't up-to-date yet with recent changes so everything suddenly feels way too loose and floaty, just gliding over the ground. The intertia honestly feels good.

William Henry Hairytaint
Oct 29, 2011

hello internet posted:

It's gonna be that as soon as they try the "open world you have to actually visit the traders on a map" stuff too.

Stux
Nov 17, 2006
Probation
Can't post for 6 days!
good

Phoix
Jul 20, 2006

Seems like the AFK kick fixed the queues? It was ~44k a few hours ago and now I was able to log in without a queue at all.

Mellow_
Sep 13, 2010

:frog:

William Henry Hairytaint posted:

It's gonna be that as soon as they try the "open world you have to actually visit the traders on a map" stuff too.

Plenty of people still play modded DayZ which sucks a ton compared to Tarkov and has a lot of that kind of stuff.

Game will be fine.

Shumagorath
Jun 6, 2001

Phoix posted:

Seems like the AFK kick fixed the queues? It was ~44k a few hours ago and now I was able to log in without a queue at all.
A launcher update also just went out.

pissinthewind
Nov 11, 2021

i got a notification that i got kicked from afk and thats all it was, it didn't kick me out of the game or prevent me from playing lmao

Hooplah
Jul 15, 2006

pissinthewind posted:

i got a notification that i got kicked from afk and thats all it was, it didn't kick me out of the game or prevent me from playing lmao

check your fence rep :blastu:

Kikas
Oct 30, 2012
Oh poo poo, I got a ton new christmas quests after completing To The Tree. Holy poo poo that's a lot of stuff I could have been doing already what the actual gently caress BSG why do you gate time limited content so much you dipshits.

Sneaky Wombat
Jan 9, 2010

If Jaeger doesn't have a gut from all the Russian stew I gave him, my immersion will be ruined.

pissinthewind
Nov 11, 2021

Hooplah posted:

check your fence rep :blastu:

noooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo between that and accidentally santa I may as well just let it tank

Gazaar
Mar 23, 2005

.txt
Does afk kicking gently caress your fence rep wth

Kashwashwa
Jul 11, 2006
You'll do fine no matter what. That's my motto.
Now the game is hanging for me on successful extraction... I think I may be done with this.

Copper For Lyfe
Jun 1, 2011

Mellow_ posted:

Plenty of people still play modded DayZ which sucks a ton compared to Tarkov and has a lot of that kind of stuff.

Game will be fine.

Ye, DayZ actually had its highest ever concurrent players of all time in a single day twice this week which is mind blowing to me.

Tarkov numbers may drop, but I don't see the player base getting so low that next to no one is playing it.

Hooplah
Jul 15, 2006

Gazaar posted:

Does afk kicking gently caress your fence rep wth

lol, was joke

Moonshine Rhyme
Mar 26, 2010

Hate Hate Hate Hate Hate

Kashwashwa posted:

Now the game is hanging for me on successful extraction... I think I may be done with this.

The massive wait time between raids is the primary reason I'm not playing this, hopefully that's something they address sooner rather than later

Babe Magnet
Jun 2, 2008

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vjgw6w-RD2E

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

hello internet
Sep 13, 2004

Kashwashwa posted:

Happened to me too but after 3 minutes it loaded into the menu