Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Kaubocks
Apr 13, 2011

bi crimes posted:

yeah you're right, race tier lists suck and are divisive.

yea it's, idk

obviously everyone has tastes. i actually kind of loathe popular race/gender combo but, eh. with mmos it's real easy to get attached to your character, so when people say they hate hrothgar or whatever i don't think it's unreasonable for me to get a little bummed about that, lol. i'm just trying to vibe out here and be myself and have fun. i've even cut back a fair amount of my general community-accepted joking lalafell potato bashing. those little friends are just having a good time too.

protect one another. compliment your glams. namaste.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CJ
Jul 3, 2007

Asbungold
It's really not fair that Elezen can go full oompa loompa when lafafell can't.

SirSamVimes
Jul 21, 2008

~* Challenge *~

s+: elezen
s: the rest of them

Professor Beetus
Apr 12, 2007

They can fight us
But they'll never Beetus

ImpAtom posted:

Considering haircuts go to the character creation screen and lock out certain things I imagine it's not so easy for their system. Which is silly but hey.

I have no doubt, but I wonder if it would be harder to do than fixing all the awful clipping issues with certain hairstyles. But they don't really seem to care about clipping issues afaict.

Kaubocks
Apr 13, 2011

just let me pay $30 to unlock a permanent fantasia on a glam plate somehow, because i come from other mmos and i have terminal alt brain

drk has just not worked for me any more since i became a soft cat dad. i must be an edgy male xaela or a hardbody femroe to pull it off.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Kaubocks posted:

just let me pay $30 to unlock a permanent fantasia on a glam plate somehow, because i come from other mmos and i have terminal alt brain

drk has just not worked for me any more since i became a soft cat dad. i must be an edgy male xaela or a hardbody femroe to pull it off.

Couldn't you just make an actual alt?

Kaubocks
Apr 13, 2011

i have an alt but there's no real attachment to it. it doesn't have my collection of ~stuff~. you have to keep beating the story and re-unlocking everything, and keeping parity across a second character is an inordinate amount of work. the game is pretty alt unfriendly.

looking forward to data center travel, because my alt is an aether alt to play with aether friends, but i just rarely have to drive to log into her when her gear is massively outdated and doesn't have my cool mounts or whatever

Cao Ni Ma
May 25, 2010

lol a friend linked me a clip that took me through twitches algorithm and sent me to DEs community mangers channel, Rebecca, going through Endwalker and drat this lady gets emotional. Full on ugly crying during some scenes. Space Mom :qq:

Dr Kool-AIDS
Mar 26, 2004

Removed pointless mild trolling because this is a nice thread with nice people.

Dr Kool-AIDS fucked around with this message at 03:03 on Jan 3, 2022

Vermain
Sep 5, 2006

ImpAtom posted:

Considering haircuts go to the character creation screen and lock out certain things I imagine it's not so easy for their system. Which is silly but hey.

There's a lot of things about their engine that really makes me hope they've got a new client in the works for 7.0. I think FFXIV has finally hit the point of popularity and ongoing legacy where pouring a couple million into creating something that can handle more long-term growth makes fiscal sense. Cleaning out the networking cobwebs of 2.0 and updating the renderer to more modern standards feel necessary, at the least.

Genovera
Feb 13, 2014

subterranean
space pterodactyls

Kaubocks posted:

yea it's, idk

obviously everyone has tastes. i actually kind of loathe popular race/gender combo but, eh. with mmos it's real easy to get attached to your character, so when people say they hate hrothgar or whatever i don't think it's unreasonable for me to get a little bummed about that, lol. i'm just trying to vibe out here and be myself and have fun. i've even cut back a fair amount of my general community-accepted joking lalafell potato bashing. those little friends are just having a good time too.

Yeah I agree. It does make me feel a bit sad when people say how my or my partner's WoL's race sucks and looks bad or whatever. Better to be positive about the ones you like than insult someone else's favorites.

MadFriarAvelyn
Sep 25, 2007

Cao Ni Ma posted:

lol a friend linked me a clip that took me through twitches algorithm and sent me to DEs community mangers channel, Rebecca, going through Endwalker and drat this lady gets emotional. Full on ugly crying during some scenes. Space Mom :qq:

I think this is what irks me about some Twitch streamers trying to take advantage of FFXIV's popularity recently. Not any one particular streamer, but a whole lot of them completely overreact to everything in this game and just repost those clips everywhere, inevitably flooding my Youtube feed with clips of them overreacting. Worse, other third party channels compile all of those clips into additional videos chock full of no-names overreacting to otherwise mundane moments in the story.

I mean, yeah, this game is real good and hits all the right emotions, but no, you don't need to go full on bawling at minor story beats.

MadFriarAvelyn fucked around with this message at 03:07 on Jan 3, 2022

TheWorldsaStage
Sep 10, 2020

MadFriarAvelyn posted:

I think this is what irks me about some Twitch streamers trying to take advantage of FFXIV's popularity recently. Not any one particular streamer, but a whole lot of them completely overreact to everything in this game and just repost those clips everywhere, inevitably flooding my Youtube feed with clips of them overreacting. Worse, other third party channels compile all of those clips into additional videos chock full of people overreacting to otherwise mundane moments in the story.

I mean, yeah, this game is real good and hits all the right emotions, but no, you don't need to go full on bawling at minor story beats.

I'm so happy there was a time shortly before ffxiv blew the gently caress up, and you could find genuine reaction videos for the Endwalker trailer. Those always put such a smile on my face.

Chillgamesh
Jul 29, 2014

I still can't believe Eulmoran Adjutant is loving dead...

"General?" ... :cry:

CJ
Jul 3, 2007

Asbungold

MadFriarAvelyn posted:

I think this is what irks me about some Twitch streamers trying to take advantage of FFXIV's popularity recently. Not any one particular streamer, but a whole lot of them completely overreact to everything in this game and just repost those clips everywhere, inevitably flooding my Youtube feed with clips of them overreacting. Worse, other third party channels compile all of those clips into additional videos chock full of people overreacting to otherwise mundane moments in the story.

Look we all have to remind each other how amazing the story is at every opportunity to reassure ourselves that quitting WoW was the right call.

Either that or they genuinely haven't played a videogame with a story in it since WoW came out in 2004.

Cao Ni Ma
May 25, 2010

MadFriarAvelyn posted:

I think this is what irks me about some Twitch streamers trying to take advantage of FFXIV's popularity recently. Not any one particular streamer, but a whole lot of them completely overreact to everything in this game and just repost those clips everywhere, inevitably flooding my Youtube feed with clips of them overreacting. Worse, other third party channels compile all of those clips into additional videos chock full of no-names overreacting to otherwise mundane moments in the story.

She's being 100% honest. She makes plenty of money being a community management lead for a successful game

Runa
Feb 13, 2011

I believe in warframe's spacemom

Damn Dirty Ape
Jan 23, 2015

I love you Dr. Zaius

Finally finished the story and overall I loved it and it did a great job of wrapping things up. It's funny, I distinctly remember playing through the MSQ in ARR early on and thinking 'who are these people with their seemingly auto-generated names and why should I care about any of them'. I never would have guessed that years later I'd be playing through an epic story and actually caring for these characters enough to feel sentimental towards them and actually anxious about their fate (no crying for me though).

I then did the 90 tank role quest and.... well....meh. I've heard the others are better but it pales in comparison to the ShB role quest.

90 tank role spoiler:
So basically the elementals are dicks that ruined that kids life because he made an honest mistake and we are supposed to be really thankful for them despite this.... ok. Sure there was a little bit more characterization of Kan-e-senna but they could of at least given that dude with her a name. The uplifting moment when the citizens came to help kind of came out of nowhere and didn't really feel earned (and why would the elementals give a poo poo what a bunch of dirt farmers thought?). Also that final fight didn't really make any sense and somehow I passed it when it felt like the monster was wailing on her half the time.

Professor Beetus
Apr 12, 2007

They can fight us
But they'll never Beetus
People overreacting to things is like, 95% of YouTube's content. The other 5% is made up of mostly helpful how to and recipe vids.

Runa
Feb 13, 2011

with some genuinely unhelpful "how to" videos that are complete bullshit tossed in there too

Antivehicular
Dec 30, 2011

I wanna sing one for the cars
That are right now headed silent down the highway
And it's dark and there is nobody driving And something has got to give

What robe is this? It rules.

Runa
Feb 13, 2011

Antivehicular posted:

https://ffxiv.consolegameswiki.com/wiki/Ivalician_Oracle%27s_Coat

SirPhoebos
Dec 10, 2007

WELL THAT JUST HAPPENED!

Kaubocks posted:

Reposting from Sanguinia's LP

Kyrosiris
May 24, 2006

You try to be happy when everyone is summoning you everywhere to "be their friend".

Nobody is really bashing on roeguys but I wanna post my WoL anyways so here's my sexy vampire SMN glam. :shobon:

admanb
Jun 18, 2014

Vermain posted:

There's a lot of things about their engine that really makes me hope they've got a new client in the works for 7.0.

yeah I agree with this

quote:

I think FFXIV has finally hit the point of popularity and ongoing legacy where pouring a couple million into creating something that can handle more long-term growth makes fiscal sense. Cleaning out the networking cobwebs of 2.0 and updating the renderer to more modern standards feel necessary, at the least.

hahahahaahahahahahahahahsahahashfddshfjkDASH'LKJ *cries*

Hats Wouldnt Fly
Feb 9, 2010

Redfont is my hero.
First sage jobquest got me like

Cao Ni Ma
May 25, 2010

FFXIVs engine is based on Luminous (which surprisingly they still have a team working on), at most they could probably bolt in some of its more advanced shaders but I dont see them reworking the entire engine. It works mostly fine, the thing that stand out the most in the game are some really dated ps3 like textures. They could do a lot of good just making HQ texture packs for PCs and ps5s or whatever.

cheetah7071
Oct 20, 2010

honk honk
College Slice

drat Dirty Ape posted:

Finally finished the story and overall I loved it and it did a great job of wrapping things up. It's funny, I distinctly remember playing through the MSQ in ARR early on and thinking 'who are these people with their seemingly auto-generated names and why should I care about any of them'. I never would have guessed that years later I'd be playing through an epic story and actually caring for these characters enough to feel sentimental towards them and actually anxious about their fate (no crying for me though).

I then did the 90 tank role quest and.... well....meh. I've heard the others are better but it pales in comparison to the ShB role quest.

90 tank role spoiler:
So basically the elementals are dicks that ruined that kids life because he made an honest mistake and we are supposed to be really thankful for them despite this.... ok. Sure there was a little bit more characterization of Kan-e-senna but they could of at least given that dude with her a name. The uplifting moment when the citizens came to help kind of came out of nowhere and didn't really feel earned (and why would the elementals give a poo poo what a bunch of dirt farmers thought?). Also that final fight didn't really make any sense and somehow I passed it when it felt like the monster was wailing on her half the time.

It, like all the other role quests, is about remembering the suffering of people around you, even if it takes a different form than yours. The tank one in particular has both the people of gridania and the elementals forget that lesson, and need to be reminded of it. The writing is a bit whatever because, as a central plot point, it's a pain in the rear end to even talk to an elemental, which means that the emotional core of the questline is very rushed. But yes, you're supposed to go "oh the elementals are terrified of the final days too" and feel a twinge of sympathy, even if you still kinda think they're dicks. (That idea--sympathy without forgiveness--is more explicitly touched on in the healer role quest).

Begemot
Oct 14, 2012

The One True Oden

Antivehicular posted:

The Ivalician Oracle's Robe, I think it's from Orbonne? Either that or Ridorana, one had calculator gear and one has this, I love the stitching texture, it's so nice

biceps crimes
Apr 12, 2008

Kaubocks posted:

yea it's, idk

Yeah, there's not really any race/combo that I don't like, and some glams can elevate something I wouldn't play to something I can really appreciate. And people express their characters so well in this game, there's something to like in every race. I get turned off by some animations that I think don't look so good, but beyond that, the only solid thumbs down from me are lulz random male roes/hrothgars that run around nude with a mascot helmet. Otherwise I really like those two races!

isk
Oct 3, 2007

You don't want me owing you
I'd be interested to see a) how costly it would be to port FFXIV's assets to the FFXV fork of the engine, and b) whether it would be worthwhile. I'd generally expect not - I think they'd make gains with streaming assets (e.g. bigger zones) while losing a ton of framerate optimization (especially in raids/hunt trains/etc.). Aside from braziers with obscene polygon counts, I'm pretty sure tying FFXIV and FFVX together contributed to perf issues in 1.x. That said, it was over a decade ago, and PS5s can do some tricky poo poo.

Speaking of, I'd expect a significant engine change to accompany the end-of-life announcement for PS4 support. Given the relatively low saturation of PS5s across the playerbase, I wouldn't expect such a change before 8.0.

isk fucked around with this message at 04:49 on Jan 3, 2022

Oxyclean
Sep 23, 2007

the heck is FFVX?

Is there something about FFXV being connected to FFXIV? I would have assumed it was a wholey different engine.

Fiye
Nov 23, 2021

No one can hide anything from me.
Your heart is in plain sight to me.

Steelion posted:

They used to slap a slow debuff on you if you got hit on your mount.

It was stupid, so they got rid of it.

Traveling through Ala Mhigo and getting aggroed by any number of the near-level capped mobs while doing MSQ/Pre-nerf Aether Currents. Such a good change.

Kerrzhe
Nov 5, 2008

the only reason i don't like some races is cause they're either too generic (male midlander) or just way, way too girly/cutesy (fem midlander, miqote and au ra) for my personality. the fem midlander run animation, for example, repulses me in a way that i cannot really describe! i do not want to role play as an anime schoolgirl.

but everyone else's WoL is cool and awesome, i just won't ever play those races myself.

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna!!!

FFXIV runs on Crystal Tools, which ran XIII, not Luminous, which runs XV. Luminous has been used to run two games, Final Fantasy XV and the upcoming Forspoken.

Cao Ni Ma
May 25, 2010

Oxyclean posted:

the heck is FFVX?

Is there something about FFXV being connected to FFXIV? I would have assumed it was a wholey different engine.

FFXIV engine is an early version of the Luminous engine that was used in FFXV.

Another fun fact, 1.0s engine was basically crystal tools, FFXIIIs engine.

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

Kerrzhe posted:

the only reason i don't like some races is cause they're either too generic (male midlander)

mfw

yeah he's generic but he's my WoL, even if his dumb hair clips with every cool coat

Harrow fucked around with this message at 04:32 on Jan 3, 2022

biceps crimes
Apr 12, 2008

i assume all male outfits are designed on ardberts first, so male midlanders have such an easy time with glams

Heroic Yoshimitsu
Jan 15, 2008

I think Male Au Ra look awesome, and I wish the female Au Ra were as tall and buff as them (or more specifically, have some options where both the current au ra girls and tall buff ones could exist).

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Damn Dirty Ape
Jan 23, 2015

I love you Dr. Zaius

Harrow posted:

mfw

yeah he's generic but he's my WoL, even if his dumb hair clips with every cool coat

I finally gave my midlander male a haircut for this expansion to stop clipping into everything. I thought about using my fantasia, but I'm just so used to seeing my derpy face that it wouldn't seem right.