Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

NowonSA
Jul 19, 2013

I am the sexiest poster in the world!
Lots of fun directions they can go for here for a finale, especially if they want to make it a new proper series finale and not leave the door open for more Dexter.

I'll put my chips down on the maximum tragedy ending:

Angela confronts Dexter while everyone's at the house (probably after finding Matt's other screw in the burned up house as a clincher against him), Dex can't talk his way out of it, Harrison sees Dexter being taken away in cuffs and kills Angela, then kills Audrey when she walks in on the scene or is a witness to it (probably involving a brutal chase scene). Realizing that Harrison is going to result in more innocent people getting killed (like how Dexter ultimately helped get Deb killed), Dexter kills Harrison and then either confesses to the cops and waits for them to show up and lock him up, commits suicide by cop, or kills himself.

I think Dexter wouldn't be willing to kill Angela to stay out of prison, but Harrison's impulsive enough to go for it. Something like this would tie things up in a pretty nice bow in a way that "Dexter just nopes out and becomes a solitary lumberjack" obviously didn't.

If they want to leave things open to more Dexter down the line, then doing the sort of ending I described above but having Dexter make a clean break from all of it and not be implicated in everything that went down by law enforcement would certainly stretch credulity, but the show's done that many times in the past and kept on going despite it. And seeing where Dexter's at after experiencing a crazy situation like the ending above (on top of all the other insane poo poo he's been through) would be interesting. Then again, I don't trust the stars to quite align again to create more good Dexter content, and by all appearances this is a last hurrah that everyone involved is doing to fix a really bad ending, so I think it's better to just go all out to craft a satisfying and compelling ending that uses up every piece on the board (probably by killing most or all of them) than to try to keep things going.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
I think the US is dumb for not using Celsius
I think it will be easy for Dexter to explain it all away and the preview scene of him being booked is likely a nothing burger to trick people. He can say that Kurt sent the bolt to him and he didn't understand why. It would be pretty easy to say that Kurt was clearly trying to frame him by giving Dexter one bolt and then sending the others to Angela with a "JIM KILLED MAT CALDWELL" note. There's not really anything linking Dexter to murdering Matt. The weird coincidence that Dexter happened to be out driving that night was only known by Kurt, and he's dead.

Dexter could find a way to say that Kurt was trying to frame him, and also burned his house down, because it's pretty clear that Kurt was trying to skip town. So just weave a story that Kurt got spooked by something, maybe worried that he was going to get caught, so he wrote that note, put it on Angela's door, burned down Dexter's house, and then grabbed a bunch of poo poo and ran away.

I'll be pissed off if they go down a stupid path like Harrison killing Angela and Audrey or something.

Centusin
Aug 5, 2009

CODChimera posted:

I thought she wasn't that into him and they weren't dating? who knows

well when Harrison gives her her present she wraps her arms around him and kisses him and they kiss each other goodbye so all the body language suggests they're still into each other, I think the show forgot about the not being into him after the arm breaking thing part

Zulily Zoetrope
Jun 1, 2011

Muldoon
harrison said something about working on his anger issues, which means his previous violation has been stricken from the record

This is how relationships work in the Dexter universe; it's pretty consistent.

LazyDivey
Jun 18, 2004

Orange crush momma is a laugh laugh laugh.

Ninurta posted:

Good episode, overall. It looks like the Billionaire may be a member of the Greatest Game hunt after all with Kurt hinting at it while under the knife? Tune in next week to find out that Batista chops his salad.

Does anyone have the gif of Dexter's nanny eating her salad with a knife and a fork(I think?) from the old thread?

That was peak Dexter

Nep-Nep
May 15, 2004

Just one more thing!

Fortunately this thread already has you covered for revisiting the classics

Quotey
Aug 16, 2006

We went out for lunch and then we stopped for some bubble tea.
HEY FUCKO

Megillah Gorilla
Sep 22, 2003

If only all of life's problems could be solved by smoking a professor of ancient evil texts.

Bread Liar

Cojawfee posted:

Dexter could find a way to say that Kurt was trying to frame him, and also burned his house down, because it's pretty clear that Kurt was trying to skip town. So just weave a story that Kurt got spooked by something, maybe worried that he was going to get caught, so he wrote that note, put it on Angela's door, burned down Dexter's house, and then grabbed a bunch of poo poo and ran away.

Dexter told Angela about Kurt trying to lure the podcast lady into his kill room and how he stopped him. That's one hell of a motive for Kurt to try and 'frame' Dexter.

If the police go back to Kurt's place and look around there's no way they can miss seeing the ridiculously obvious vent sitting in the middle of a flat open field.

Peak Dexter - hiding a trapdoor to a serial killer lair underneath fake debris while having the vent out in the open instead of under its own pile of trash.

CRUSTY MINGE
Mar 30, 2011

Peggy Hill
Foot Connoisseur
Building a thousand or two square foot bunker at least 10 feet underground isn't something that happens alone or without notice either. Someone would have had to rent him equipment, or helped him construct it, or sell him the concrete forms for his hatch. He has electricity to it, so either a genset or a very long cord to the meter, there are no solar panels in that field. Plumbing that far underground is probably unrealistic too, so fluids drained off would need to go off site somewhere.

Lots of holes, but it's Dexter, so that should be expected.

codo27
Apr 21, 2008

Well the underground bunker was obviously formed through photosynthesis

Devorum
Jul 30, 2005

codo27 posted:

Well the underground bunker was obviously formed through photosynthesis

It was autoerotic excavation.

George H.W. Cunt
Oct 6, 2010

Kurt’s gasoline hijinks are probably my favorite bit about this episode. Just absolute clown poo poo lol. Also debs expression when Dexter said he doesn’t hurt family was gold.

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
"Hey Chet, it's Angela, the chief of police. Do you have a list of people who might have rented your big gasoline truck recently?"

"Oh yeah sure. Let's see, Frank Lemon did, to fill up his farm equipment. Jerry Cassidy borrowed it so he could fill up his generator tank."

"hmm, Ok"

"Oh yeah, also Kurt Caldwell. He came in here last night around 2am with a weird ski mask on and said he needed it and then told me to mind my drat business. He brought it back around 3 am, and seemed like he was in an even bigger hurry."

"What does it all mean?"

Calvin Johnson Jr.
Dec 8, 2009
I guess the best way to describe this season for me is it's the perfect level of campy. If the show was like The Wire or some poo poo - Dexter, as a character, could not exist. This all has to work in this weird alt-reality that the viewer sorta learns the "rules" to. It's enough to be engaging but I feel like you're laughing with the writers rather than at them this season.

Caros
May 14, 2008

Calvin Johnson Jr. posted:

I guess the best way to describe this season for me is it's the perfect level of campy. If the show was like The Wire or some poo poo - Dexter, as a character, could not exist. This all has to work in this weird alt-reality that the viewer sorta learns the "rules" to. It's enough to be engaging but I feel like you're laughing with the writers rather than at them this season.

Yeah. Nit picking the practicality of how Kurt sets up his underground bunker is like complaining about how many people Bruce Wayne had to murder in order to keep the bat cave a secret. At a certain point you have to just accept that a rich rear end in a top hat can build an undetected underground lair in the same way that he can disappear women from his place of work without the chief of police knowing.

JaddaCaddra
Oct 3, 2013
I actually enjoyed these last couple of episodes.

Something good I wanted to point out was how they highlighted Dexter's obliviousness on Christmas being a success, even though his gift to Angela was absolutely poo poo and her reaction to it reflected as much. I love moments that remind us Dexter is making himself blend in and isn't just some regular guy who kills people on the side. That's something that was missing from the last few seasons and its been nice seeing that again. It also set up his exchange with Harrison while he dismembered Kurt, where he's explaining how he cuts up the bodies as Harrison looks on completely traumatized, but Dexter's just going on his merry way like this is completely normal.

I haven't enjoyed this season overall, but I'll admit there have been some good moments like that. Definitely not enough to justify any further seasons though. I doubt it'll be the case, but hopefully the writers grow a spine and actually have Dexter go down, either by death or arrest.

Now onto making fun of its bad moments, I REALLY love how the writers tried to justify Kurt disappearing so abruptly in the last episode. If I recall right after they find the bunker Harrison even says "So that's how he disappeared so quickly!" It was silly enough and them trying to give a logical explanation just made it sillier.

R. Guyovich
Dec 25, 1991

Cojawfee posted:

"Hey Chet, it's Angela, the chief of police. Do you have a list of people who might have rented your big gasoline truck recently?"

"Oh yeah sure. Let's see, Frank Lemon did, to fill up his farm equipment. Jerry Cassidy borrowed it so he could fill up his generator tank."

"hmm, Ok"

"Oh yeah, also Kurt Caldwell. He came in here last night around 2am with a weird ski mask on and said he needed it and then told me to mind my drat business. He brought it back around 3 am, and seemed like he was in an even bigger hurry."

"What does it all mean?"

that actually doesn't need a lot of explaining since he runs a truck stop. he probably just had the tanker truck

R. Guyovich
Dec 25, 1991

CRUSTY MINGE posted:

Building a thousand or two square foot bunker at least 10 feet underground isn't something that happens alone or without notice either. Someone would have had to rent him equipment, or helped him construct it, or sell him the concrete forms for his hatch. He has electricity to it, so either a genset or a very long cord to the meter, there are no solar panels in that field. Plumbing that far underground is probably unrealistic too, so fluids drained off would need to go off site somewhere.

Lots of holes, but it's Dexter, so that should be expected.

this is also why i suspect the billionaire guy is a backer. unlimited construction funds + hush money

DiscoJ
Jun 23, 2003

R. Guyovich posted:

this is also why i suspect the billionaire guy is a backer. unlimited construction funds + hush money

I thought he was just an early red herring, especially given that scene with Audrey when her car broke down.

Quotey
Aug 16, 2006

We went out for lunch and then we stopped for some bubble tea.
you guys are focussed on the billionaire and not dexter's manager. he's the real guy behind all of uh, this

R. Guyovich
Dec 25, 1991

DiscoJ posted:

I thought he was just an early red herring, especially given that scene with Audrey when her car broke down.

that had been my assumption too, but kurt's "uhhh yeah that's right! it was all me!" was pretty obvious telegraphing. maybe i'm overthinking a dumb show but when the script is that pointed with the season's presumed villain dead and one episode left you figure it's going somewhere

Nep-Nep
May 15, 2004

Just one more thing!
Dexter is going to kill the billionaire, but Angela catches him in the act. Dexter decides he has to kill Angela to protect his life with Harrison. Also, they are in a shipping container. Harrison arrives on the scene, his rifle with him. Angela tells him to shoot Dexter. Harrison turns her into a bench, then the season ends with a shot of Batista reading the news and seeing that information, along with a photo of Dexter. Angel quips that this Jim Lindsay guy sure looks a lot like Dexter, then never figures it out.

edit: Also the Blood Moon was a hint to Zelda players that all the people Dexter has killed are about to respawn

Nep-Nep fucked around with this message at 09:10 on Jan 3, 2022

DaveKap
Feb 5, 2006

Pickle: Inspected.

This was definitely one of the best episodes of the show purely because of the first 13 minutes. The way I get my episodes has, in the past, accidentally led to me receiving episodes from the first season. Despite having a "Previously on" I still had a moment where I thought I had received the wrong episode because the Wiggles flashback was that loving spot on to the original.
I cherished and relished every moment of Dexter smiling and every moment of the father and son bonding because I knew, sadly, in my heart, that this would not last longer than this one episode. I really wish this could've been half the season. Every time Deb was telling Dexter not to tell Harrison something, I was giddily saying to my monitor, "No! Tell him! Tell him!!!"
I wish this whole show could just be Dexter doing his thing and looking at the camera and smiling and saying something to the audience. Take this poo poo away from House of Cards, they don't deserve it anymore. (Except the British version.)
Did anybody catch how adorable it was that Harrison, who in episode 2 used a knife to cut the hinge off a locked door, wanted to learn to lock pick?
Lastly, I smiled from ear-to-ear every single frame Kurt was playing that stupid music and performing his stupid cabin burning stunt. Schlock to the maximum at every level.

R. Guyovich posted:

that had been my assumption too, but kurt's "uhhh yeah that's right! it was all me!" was pretty obvious telegraphing. maybe i'm overthinking a dumb show but when the script is that pointed with the season's presumed villain dead and one episode left you figure it's going somewhere
You aren't overthinking this. As I caught up with the thread I was like "how is nobody seeing the silliness in his admission?" but you nailed it. When Kurt says "Heh you got me! It's all me! Every bit of it! Hah! Pretty fuckin' amazing, huh?!" he's acting in the most "acting like you're not suspicious when you totally are" way. His eyes darting left and right as that wry smile spreads across his face. He absolutely got help from the rich dude.

Anyway, my guess for the finale is very specific and feels like exactly what they'd write. It's a bit complicated so I'll bullet-point it. Plus, if I get even remotely close, I can see how many points I got!
* Dexter and Harrison discover the Billionaire is a part of Kurt's poo poo.
* They confront him, Harrison in the truck while Dexter goes in for the Ketamine shot.
* Something about this situation makes it obvious that the Billionaire is guilty.
* Wherever this is located, Angela had been tailing them while Audrey is still in the car.
* Before Dexter manages to get the Ketamine into the Billionaire, Angela confronts Dexter with her gun aimed towards him.
* Harrison, seeing Angela aiming a gun at Dexter, grabs his rifle from the back of the pick-up and shoots her in the exact spot where Deb was shot.
* Dexter is mentally destroyed seeing Deb-Death 2.0, grabbing her in his arms before she falls on the ground. Inner-monologue, "I killed her..."
* The Billionaire tries to escape, only to get nun-chucked by Audrey.
* Horny cop Logan shows up, Angela is dying, Dexter is muttering, "I killed her..."
* Harrison escapes in Dexter's truck.
* Angela dead, Dexter in jail admitting to killing her, Audrey hero for capturing Billionaire.
* Final shot is Harrison talking to Head-Dexter in the passenger seat.

:discourse:

Open Source Idiom
Jan 4, 2013

DaveKap posted:

Yeah this is happening, unfortunately

Megillah Gorilla
Sep 22, 2003

If only all of life's problems could be solved by smoking a professor of ancient evil texts.

Bread Liar
Just have to say the fuel Kurt sprayed on Dexter's house was a terrible accelerant.

I know it was cold and all, but drat that was some slow burning poo poo.

DaveKap posted:

Then the camera pans over and we see he's sitting next to Head-Trinity.

Then they start making out with each other.

Argue
Sep 29, 2005

I represent the Philippines
Harrison killing or turning in Dexter makes so much sense that I think the next season is going to be about Dexter training Harrison how to do a full kill while Angela monitors approvingly, having realized that there are some people the law can't catch.

Medullah
Aug 14, 2003

FEAR MY SHARK ROCKET IT REALLY SUCKS AND BLOWS

Megillah Gorilla posted:

Just have to say the fuel Kurt sprayed on Dexter's house was a terrible accelerant.

I know it was cold and all, but drat that was some slow burning poo poo.

Then the camera pans over and we see he's sitting next to Head-Trinity.

Then they start making out with each other.

They look in the backseat and Head Hannah is there. They all kick her out.

itry
Aug 23, 2019

Nep-Nep posted:

Also the Blood Moon was a hint to Zelda players that all the people Dexter has killed are about to respawn

:hmmyes:

Open Source Idiom
Jan 4, 2013

Argue posted:

next season

noooooooo

DiscoJ
Jun 23, 2003

R. Guyovich posted:

I see your (and everyone's) point about the confession, it was kinda pointed. But I hope it doesn't go that way as it probably wouldn't be satisfying. We were shown Kurt's origins, his M.O., his psychosis. he was established as being rich himself and we know he lived in the town his whole life. It's believable (in a Dexter context) that he did/funded everything himself. What role does the billionaire need to play here?

I think between Angela's BHB investigation, Matt's murder/the titanium screws, the trophy room/Molly's death, and Harrison, there's already enough content to fill out a satisfying finale. Bringing the billionaire back from the off-screen void when Dexter and Kurt had such a personal feud this whole time... I just don't think it's needed.

Kurt's confession did seem like it could be telegraphing something, but I'm hoping it was nothing.

DiscoJ fucked around with this message at 13:55 on Jan 3, 2022

Medullah
Aug 14, 2003

FEAR MY SHARK ROCKET IT REALLY SUCKS AND BLOWS

DiscoJ posted:

I see your (and everyone's) point about the confession, it was kinda pointed. But I hope it doesn't go that way as it probably wouldn't be satisfying. We were shown Kurt's origins, his M.O., his psychosis. he was established as being rich himself and we know he lived in the town his whole life. It's believable (in a Dexter context) that he did/funded everything himself. What role does the billionaire need to play here?

I think between Angela's BHB investigation, Matt's murder/the titanium screws, the trophy room/Molly's death, and Harrison, there's already enough content to fill out a satisfying finale. Bringing the billionaire back from the off-screen void when Dexter and Kurt had such a personal feud this whole time... I just don't think it's needed.

Kurt's confession did seem like it could be telegraphing something, but I'm hoping it was nothing.

Maybe we'll find out Matt did it with his dad, cementing that it was "okay" to kill him.

Diabolik900
Mar 28, 2007

DaveKap posted:

Despite having a "Previously on" I still had a moment where I thought I had received the wrong episode because the Wiggles flashback was that loving spot on to the original.

I liked that they even changed the aspect ratio to match the old show for the flashbacks.

DiscoJ posted:

This is my feeling too.

nerox
May 20, 2001
Is anyone else's brain getting crossed watching Dexter in a snowy cabin and Alan Tudyk in a snowy cabin in Resident Alien?

I guess its just similarity of the emotional less main characters in small snow covered towns.

CRUSTY MINGE
Mar 30, 2011

Peggy Hill
Foot Connoisseur
Resident Alien is set in Colorado, the cabin next to a lake. New Blood is set in New York, next to a reservation.

Probably the emotionless thing.

asciidic
Aug 19, 2005

lord of the valves

I just read the confession as Kurt hoping that would satisfy Dexter, since dealing with that would be much more preferable to being murdered, and he enjoyed a rare moment where he could show off his work. I don't know which things in this show are significant reveals if no one circles them with a pen a few times for me.

I thought Dexter gagging Kurt was a nice touch, and Harrison looking like he wasn't completely buying Dexter's reason for killing Matt. Dexter could have used Matt's murder as an example of a failing, and why the code and a weekly supply of serial killers is needed; without it, he just starts killing any rando who annoys him. But he likes that Harrison sees him as a hero and he'd like to keep it that way.

vseslav.botkin
Feb 18, 2007
Professor
There's also the fact that he didn't mention Matt to Harrison earlier, which is a pretty huge omission.

ghostwritingduck
Aug 26, 2004

"I hope you like waking up at 6 a.m. and having your favorite things destroyed. P.S. Forgive me because I'm cuter than that $50 wire I just ate."

R. Guyovich posted:

If the billionaire comes back as part of this plot, we’re headed for a surprise cliffhanger.

roomtone
Jul 1, 2021

by Fluffdaddy
i don't want them to kill dexter because it means the show can't come back other than dexter being in harrison's head. if they keep him alive, they can come back any number of years after this season and do another thing. old man dexter in jail is an option for years from now. no reason to take that off the table for good.

like i said before i don't think the evidence against him right now really needs him to get caught either, so i don't care what happens in that area as long as it is fun. i just don't think they should kill him.

nooneofconsequence
Oct 30, 2012

she had tiny Italian boobs.
Well that's my story.

Molly deserved better.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006

roomtone posted:

i don't want them to kill dexter because it means the show can't come back other than dexter being in harrison's head. if they keep him alive, they can come back any number of years after this season and do another thing. old man dexter in jail is an option for years from now. no reason to take that off the table for good.

like i said before i don't think the evidence against him right now really needs him to get caught either, so i don't care what happens in that area as long as it is fun. i just don't think they should kill him.

I agree, end it how they want, but leave it open with Dexter still being alive and still being around people. Hell, I'd even accept a show where Dexter is in prison and he has to discreetly kill pedophiles or whatever.