Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Dr Kool-AIDS
Mar 26, 2004

I like playing hyur specifically because they're generic. And while I don't think other races can't work with the story of the Ancients and the sundered soul of Azem, I think hyur is obviously the easiest one to justify.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gyro Zeppeli
Jul 19, 2012

sure hope no-one throws me off a bridge

My WoL is a malelezen and I think he looks pretty cool. Tempted to give male Au Ra a shot though, thanks purely to Sidurgu.

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

drat Dirty Ape posted:

I finally gave my midlander male a haircut for this expansion to stop clipping into everything. I thought about using my fantasia, but I'm just so used to seeing my derpy face that it wouldn't seem right.

I used one to switch to the stubble face, but I probably wouldn't have if I weren't already using the face that the stubble face is a variation of. I'm just way too used to how my dude looks at this point.

I've considered a haircut, though. I really like the braid hairstyle on him but it does suck that it clips with every cool gunbreaker coat's collar.

Insert name here
Nov 10, 2009

Oh.
Oh Dear.
:ohdear:

Kerrzhe posted:

the only reason i don't like some races is cause they're either too generic (male midlander) or just way, way too girly/cutesy (fem midlander, miqote and au ra) for my personality. the fem midlander run animation, for example, repulses me in a way that i cannot really describe! i do not want to role play as an anime schoolgirl.

but everyone else's WoL is cool and awesome, i just won't ever play those races myself.
I strive to be an anime girl (with a big gun) irl so that's perfect for me

Albu-quirky Guy
Nov 8, 2005

Still stuck in the Land of Entrapment
Worst race: all of them
Best race: my chocobro (especially in Shiva barding because he likes to look pretty)

Eimi
Nov 23, 2013

I will never log offshut up.

I started as a miqo'te in ARR, but every party felt like attack of the clones. Ironically I swapped to middie to be more unique, a decision I don't regret at all. Cats can feel very similar at times, but as a middie I haven't run into a clone yet, which is nice.

Heroic Yoshimitsu posted:

I think Male Au Ra look awesome, and I wish the female Au Ra were as tall and buff as them (or more specifically, have some options where both the current au ra girls and tall buff ones could exist).

If they weren't cowards they would've repeated highlanders and midlanders.

Detheros
Apr 11, 2010

I want to die.

SirPhoebos posted:

Reposting from Sanguinia's LP

DoubleNegative posted:

Now that you've seen that plot point in the DRK story, I want to share something silly.

This tracks for Reaper as well :v:

Pollyanna
Mar 5, 2005

Milk's on them.

Now I'm just very sad at what could have been.

isk
Oct 3, 2007

You don't want me owing you

Oxyclean posted:

the heck is FFVX?

a typo

Heroic Yoshimitsu
Jan 15, 2008

OK, so I'm trying to work on the GSM quests. In order to do the next one, I need to get the Master Goldsmith III book... but I can't find it? Looking it up online, I need to exchange white scrips for it, but I've checked as couple scrip vendors and none of them have it? I thought maybe I had gotten it already, but I went forward with the quest and I can't craft the things I need to craft (as in, they aren't in my crafting log as an option).

OddObserver
Apr 3, 2009

OK, so I'm trying to work on the GSM quests. In order to do the next one, I need to get the Master Goldsmith III book... but I can't find it? Looking it up online, I need to exchange white scrips for it, but I've checked as couple scrip vendors and none of them have it? I thought maybe I had gotten it already, but I went forward with the quest and I can't craft the things I need to craft (as in, they aren't in my crafting log as an option).

Maybe try the "Friend of the Hand" vendor in Mor Donah? He's kind of to the side near one of the bells, IIRC.

Edit: never mind, that's only up to 2. I think regular scrip vendors sound have 3 and up...

Edit #2: https://na.finalfantasyxiv.com/lodestone/playguide/db/item/4146e41c4d2/?patch= has the locations.

OddObserver fucked around with this message at 05:02 on Jan 3, 2022

Kaubocks
Apr 13, 2011

Harrow posted:

his dumb hair clips with every cool coat

when you play as a hrothgar, clipping is just a way of life. my hair clips into everything. my tail clips through everything. in the worst case scenarios,

TGLT
Aug 14, 2009

You should be able to go to any scrip exchange and find level 3 books under the Master Recipes category, but if you aren't seeing at whichever exchange you checked they'll definitely be there in Idyllshire.

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

Kaubocks posted:

when you play as a hrothgar, clipping is just a way of life. my hair clips into everything. my tail clips through everything. in the worst case scenarios,

Hell yeah that's a good car cat

Heroic Yoshimitsu
Jan 15, 2008

TGLT posted:

You should be able to go to any scrip exchange and find level 3 books under the Master Recipes category, but if you aren't seeing at whichever exchange you checked they'll definitely be there in Idyllshire.

I don't have that option, is there something I need to do to unlock the ability to buy master books?

Also, something else that's annoying is that I had all these macros for Ishgard Restoration and SB/ShB stuff, but a lot of them don't work anymore. I guess some crafting abilities went away?? It's pretty annoying

cheetah7071
Oct 20, 2010

honk honk
College Slice
I recommend buying the turnins for the heavensward crafting quests off the marketboard

TGLT
Aug 14, 2009

I don't have that option, is there something I need to do to unlock the ability to buy master books?

Also, something else that's annoying is that I had all these macros for Ishgard Restoration and SB/ShB stuff, but a lot of them don't work anymore. I guess some crafting abilities went away?? It's pretty annoying

I think there's a quest you need to do to unlock the whole scrip system. Go talk to Morgayne in the Foundation if you haven't, you're looking for the Inscrutable Tastes quest. edit: Also I forgot, you might need to do additional quests for each expansion. Go West, Craftsman in Mor Dhona is the Heavensward one I think. The rest show up in their expansion's respective main hub. I don't know if that unlocks the associated Master Recipes but it's worth checking into it.

Also yeah some crafting abilities, like Brand of Elements, got deleted for being kind of redundant.

TGLT fucked around with this message at 05:12 on Jan 3, 2022

Professor Beetus
Apr 12, 2007

They can fight us
But they'll never Beetus
I think all the races are good actually. The other day I was tanking with my max height ladybun and I ended up with 3 lalafells in a leveling dungeon. It looked ridiculous and amazing and I'm glad people have so many options.

Oxyclean
Sep 23, 2007

My WoL is a cat lady and she is the best hero. I doubt I could ever race change cause it'd just never feel right seeing someone else in cutscenes. Maybe it's a result of being a mid-sized race, but I really don't feel like i'm seeing (or well, noticing) that many other cat ladies - I think a lot of the other races do a good job standing out in a crowd.

isk posted:

a typo
Yeah, I was teasing. :v:

Detheros posted:

This tracks for Reaper as well :v:

I was thinking about the possibilities of hot pink reapers the other day, very glad someone is doing it.

Heroic Yoshimitsu
Jan 15, 2008

OK, found them. For me, only the Scrip Exchange vendor in Mor Donah has the books. All other scrip vendors don't have that option.

TGLT
Aug 14, 2009
That's really weird. All I can think of is you need to do the various scrip quests so each exchange works properly, but gently caress all if I can remember if that's how it works.

Leraika
Jun 14, 2015

Luckily, I *did* save your old avatar. Fucked around and found out indeed.
the worst thing about playing viera is that my dumb hair clips with literally everything

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

Leraika posted:

the worst thing about playing viera is that my dumb hair clips with literally everything

Clipping… the bane of any fashionable adventurer :negative:

Kerrzhe
Nov 5, 2008

Harrow posted:

mfw

yeah he's generic but he's my WoL, even if his dumb hair clips with every cool coat

your WoL is awesome.

i've always had a huge aversion to playing humans in MMOs or RPGs because i play these games for the escapism, and most of the time the only individualism and personality you get from your character in MMOs comes from your race. humans are always just so goddamn boring.

but when I first started playing FFXIV i picked female highlander, initially disappointed at the lack of any real beastly type races, and way too many "pretty girl" races, but the game gives your character so much time to shine as a real protagonist, they're so expressive and badass i quickly forgot any qualms i had about my race. plus i had a cool hairstyle that i rarely see on others.

then hrothgar came out and i'm like welp time to get back on my bullshit

TGLT
Aug 14, 2009
Look when the merchant told y'all their hair spray would keep your hair in place, they loving meant it.

FuturePastNow
May 19, 2014

I've been playing a fem roe all this time but I keep thinking of trying other races. I swear one day I'll stop thinking about it and buy a pack of fantasias.

Sunday Morning
Apr 7, 2007

Easy
Smellrose

Eimi posted:

but as a middie I haven't run into a clone yet, which is nice.

This just reminded me of the time I ported into Drybone and did a double take as my clone was standing next to the aetheryte. Same features, same hair color and style, same glamour (that black top from Eureka the Anemos Gambison, the Strife legs, the friendship feather in her hair). Only difference was she had much paler skin. I just stopped dead in my tracks. Saw them around a few more times but it's been a long time since I've seen my clone. Wonder what ever happened to them?

Issaries
Sep 15, 2008

"At the end of the day
We are all human beings
My father once told me that
The world has no borders"

Albu-quirky Guy posted:

Worst race: all of them
Best race: my chocobro (especially in Shiva barding because he likes to look pretty)

:yeah:

Acceptable mounts: Chocobo, Fat Chocobo, Black Chocobo, Fat Black Chocobo and other Chocobos.

This is Final Fantasy.

Bruceski
Aug 21, 2007

The tools of a hero mean nothing without a solid core.

I like the EX2 Vegas Showgirl barding from the current stuff.

Heroic Yoshimitsu
Jan 15, 2008

TGLT posted:

Also yeah some crafting abilities, like Brand of Elements, got deleted for being kind of redundant.

Wow yeah, this has completely messed up all my macros. I can't even make the dwarf beast tribe turn in stuff anymore!! This is pretty frustrating, I mean I'm guessing this is for the best but this has completely messed my levelling up.

TGLT
Aug 14, 2009

Wow yeah, this has completely messed up all my macros. I can't even make the dwarf beast tribe turn in stuff anymore!! This is pretty frustrating, I mean I'm guessing this is for the best but this has completely messed my levelling up.

Once you hit 54 on a crafter you get access to Muscle Memory, which is the better option for something that has a big progress bar since it also doubles the efficiency of your next synthesis. Don't forget about Teamcraft for loving around with your macros.

Fiye
Nov 23, 2021

No one can hide anything from me.
Your heart is in plain sight to me.

TGLT posted:

Once you hit 54 on a crafter you get access to Muscle Memory, which is the better option for something that has a big progress bar since it also doubles the efficiency of your next synthesis. Don't forget about Teamcraft for loving around with your macros.

MuMe -> Groundwork absolutely destroys progress bar.

Sanguinia
Jan 1, 2012

~Everybody wants to be a cat~
~Because a cat's the only cat~
~Who knows where its at~

Tonight the Heavensward LP goes back to ARR so our hero can feel better about the rotten turn her life has taken by learning to cook

Issaries
Sep 15, 2008

"At the end of the day
We are all human beings

Fiye posted:

MuMe -> Groundwork absolutely destroys progress bar.

Is that widely used?

My macros are 99% started with Reflect to get that HQ train going.

Leraika
Jun 14, 2015

Luckily, I *did* save your old avatar. Fucked around and found out indeed.
my rotation (in full blue level 70 gear) for dwarf quests:

reflect -> waste not II -> preparatory touch x2 -> manipulation -> innovation -> blessing -> veneration -> rapid synth until it falls over completed

TGLT
Aug 14, 2009
It's how I start most of my rotations, barring anything that has such a small progress bar that it'd finish it too fast. I don't know if it's better to start with new reflect or not. I imagine when the new recipes drop I'll gently caress around with it though.

Heroic Yoshimitsu
Jan 15, 2008

I’m getting tripped up by Quality

Vermain
Sep 5, 2006

adhuin posted:

Is that widely used?

It's the mainstay of advanced crafts. Intermediate crafts generally use Reflect, since you don't have a very large Progress bar to pound through, but Muscle Memory -> Groundwork is usually about half of an advanced craft's progress bar or more, which isn't something you can easily replicate without burning through a bunch more Durability.

I’m getting tripped up by Quality

Quality's a bit sketchier pre-71 - you'll mostly be relying on Prudent Touch + Manipulation II - but once you get Preparatory Touch, you can combine it with Waste Not/Waste Not II and Manipulation II to shoot your Inner Quiet stacks up fast. It's CP intensive, but Beast Tribe crafts probably shouldn't require more than about 6 stacks of Inner Quiet before you can Innovation + Great Strides + Byregot's to finish it.

Vermain fucked around with this message at 06:35 on Jan 3, 2022

Fiye
Nov 23, 2021

No one can hide anything from me.
Your heart is in plain sight to me.

adhuin posted:

Is that widely used?

My macros are 99% started with Reflect to get that HQ train going.

My initial macros used it while leveling and I imagine we're going to be using it with the new crafts coming out soon. Reflect only gives +1 IQ Stack which really kills its value. You'll probably get more mileage out of Waste Not + Preparatory Touch for IQ stacks. I lowkey also like Delicate Synthesis to get free* progress while building IQ stacks but it really messes up my macros since easier recipes will finish earlier.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Issaries
Sep 15, 2008

"At the end of the day
We are all human beings

Vermain posted:

It's the mainstay of advanced crafts. Intermediate crafts generally use Reflect, since you don't have a very large Progress bar to pound through, but Muscle Memory -> Groundwork is usually about half of an advanced craft's progress bar or more, which isn't something you can easily replicate without burning through a bunch more Durability.

I Have to design some new macros then to manufacture 580 gear. :neckbeard: