Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Breadmaster
Jun 14, 2010
I spent the last week or so reading this thread from start to finish. My memory of the original DD omitted a lot of the details from the worst parts, so it's been enjoyable(?) to revisit that. On th other hand, I feel absolutely numb to Legacy at this point.

At least until the next horrifying sex scene happens.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

maltesh
May 20, 2004

Uncle Ben: Still Dead.
Encyclopedia Brown: "In books, The dedication page is always after the title page! That proves the book's a fake!"
Chief Brown: "Dear God, how did we get here? What is going on?"

Inexplicable Humblebrag
Sep 20, 2003

Cum works as invisible ink, fyi

Samovar
Jun 4, 2011

I'm 😤 not a 🦸🏻‍♂️hero...🧜🏻

Nighthand posted:

I'm not sure I've ever seen a single book where the dedication is before the title page.

Very salient point.

Drakyn
Dec 26, 2012

Inexplicable Humblebrag posted:

Cum works as invisible ink, fyi

Ink is stored in the balls?

SubG
Aug 19, 2004

It's a hard world for little things.
As of the last chapter, not anymore.

Fister Roboto
Feb 21, 2008

It sure is lucky that there was invisible text in the only two places where she dripped ink!

Rotten Red Rod
Mar 5, 2002

super sweet best pal posted:

I'm glad the characters finally have some basic information that the readers have known since the start of the comic.

Did we know this book was written by Deegan? I didn't even remember they HAD this book or what was in it.

PoptartsNinja
May 9, 2008

He is still almost definitely not a spy

Soiled Meat
Man, I can't wait until Scout uses his newfound trivia to win $200 at Jeopardy.

Ron Paul Atreides
Apr 19, 2012

Uyghurs situation in Xinjiang? Just a police action, do not fret. Not ongoing genocide like in EVIL Canada.

I am definitely not a tankie.
So what the hell was the point of the swamp lady. Was that really her test? ‘I’m gonna say some things to bum you guys out for the afternoon then gently caress the mutant. Good job, you pass! Here’s the very vague clue I had for you’

Like this quest is just about Snout being curious right? Like they aren’t on the path to actually changing anything? What’s seaweed breath trying to protect and or prepare them for? What are the stakes?!?

TheHan
Oct 29, 2011

Grind, you poor fool!
Grind straight for the stars!
And for the record, there's no reason for Snout to think Luna's connected to this. at all. Luna came up twice. Once when Snout was reading about chandaks, and just now with the bog hag, a chandak. Luna's name has never even been CLOSE to Dominic's or the dream realm. Mookie straight up forgot that he already said Snout's next steps were finding out more about Dominic's students, who explicitly say they were involved in the dream realm and couldn't figure out how to move the plot along.

Ague Proof
Jun 5, 2014

they told me
I was everything

Breetai
Nov 6, 2005

🥄Mah spoon is too big!🍌

Ron Paul Atreides posted:

So what the hell was the point of the swamp lady. Was that really her test? ‘I’m gonna say some things to bum you guys out for the afternoon then gently caress the mutant. Good job, you pass! Here’s the very vague clue I had for you’

Thought experiment: come up with a coherent set of internal motivations for the swamp had that explains all of her actions. You can't use "simply to advance the plot", as this is what mookie's already used.

Emrikol
Oct 1, 2015
You know, we keep saying that Snout could ask his friends for information, but given that they're always trying to find the same poo poo and are always as surprised as he is, they probably actually don't know either.

Twelve by Pies
May 4, 2012

Again a very likpatous story
Okay so here's my theory on what's going on.

I think what someone said earlier is actually what this is supposed to signify. Namely, Redactor is going around and erasing Dominic Deegan and Luna's names from history, for whatever reason. This explains why the author and dedication to the book were hidden, and it also explains why Ink Witch/Arudak wanted the 75 font thing that merely said "Dominic Deegan did a thing" from the very beginning of the comic, they were trying to hide it from Redactor so she couldn't erase Dominic's name from it.

This is, of course, extremely stupid if that's the case, for a lot of reasons. One is that if Redactor is doing this, she's doing a really loving bad job at it. The Wild Edge library can get a pass because magic works weird there, also it's just some shelves in a field, so it's probably low priority and she may not even know it exists. But we know there's a gigantic library in Maltak with a book written by Prento specifically saying how awesome Dominic is and how he did a great thing. Why hasn't Redactor been there? If she just hasn't gotten around to it, then why the gently caress do Ink Witch and Arudak care about some lovely pages with a single gigantic sentence written on them? They should be at the libraries, guarding the books, the things that have the actual important history of Dominic Deegan. If this quest is so important that Ink Witch pretended to be a pagefinder spell and directly put Snout in danger multiple times, why has she seemingly forgotten all about it? Just to pat Snout on the head and tell him he's a good boy, or to help Arudak in his much less important quest to resurrect his dead girlfriend? If Arudak cared about it, why'd he stop caring? Did he just forget he had a dead girlfriend while Ink Witch had the pages and then suddenly remembered again after Mongreltown, and that's why he's stopped giving a poo poo about Redactor erasing Dominic's name from history?

Also if you want to erase someone from history, just erasing the name of them and their wife from a book is a really lovely and boring way to do it. Why not just erase the entire book? Is she really just only removing his name and that's it? Because that would take forever. As an example, let's say someone wanted to erase Abraham Lincoln's name from history. In addition to the obvious stuff like pennies/five dollar bills, encyclopedias, biographies and so on, Abraham Lincoln's name gets mentioned in passing in all sorts of poo poo. Like, Ben Shapiro probably namedrops Abraham Lincoln on a single page in one of his lovely spy fiction books, you'd have to erase that too, but of course not the entire book apparently, just the single mention of his name on the one page. My brother has a shirt with Abraham Lincoln's name on it, better check the closets of every random person on the planet to make sure you don't miss someone's old shirt stuffed at the bottom of their closet!

So yeah it's ridiculous. If they were serious about erasing Dominic's name from history, they wouldn't stop at just erasing his name from a book while leaving it otherwise completely intact. They'd want to erase entire libraries to ensure that Dominic's name is truly gone. There would be a huge panic that all knowledge is being wiped out, just for this woman's insane quest to rid the world of Dominic Deegan's name. That might even be interesting, if it wasn't written by Mookie.

SubG
Aug 19, 2004

Twelve by Pies posted:

This is, of course, extremely stupid if that's the case, for a lot of reasons. One is that if Redactor is doing this, she's doing a really loving bad job at it. The Wild Edge library can get a pass because magic works weird there, also it's just some shelves in a field, so it's probably low priority and she may not even know it exists.
She should've asked the random library lady working the front desk at the Maltak library, because she knows off the top of her head that the Wild Edge library is special because it was Dominic Deegan's favourite and so anyone with a library card from there gets immediate access to the rare books.

Codependent Poster
Oct 20, 2003

Breetai posted:

Thought experiment: come up with a coherent set of internal motivations for the swamp had that explains all of her actions. You can't use "simply to advance the plot", as this is what mookie's already used.

She wanted to get laid, I guess

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

they were all exposed to horrific industrial runoff when the ship crashed into the lake and they've been tripping balls ever since

Emrikol
Oct 1, 2015
It's so funny how Ink Witch's demonstrated ink powers to date are fortune-telling, ink clothing, and manifesting aircraft.

Funnier yet, the fortune-telling might be bullshit, and the ink clothing only mattered in a single scene at the very start of the story, leaving conjuring up an aircraft as her primary ink magic ability, and the only one continually in evidence.

Emrikol fucked around with this message at 09:55 on Dec 25, 2021

Douche Wolf 89
Dec 9, 2010

🍉🐺8️⃣9️⃣
Magic is gentler now *uses fighterjetomancy*

TheHan
Oct 29, 2011

Grind, you poor fool!
Grind straight for the stars!

So disappointed he didn’t reuse a panel from the bog hag rancid gently caress sesh.

Nighthand
Nov 4, 2009

what horror the gas

No, but he did reuse the panel where he forgot how hats work, so it's still funny.

Roleplaying Larry
Dec 5, 2008
https://m.imgur.com/a/7fQrAeU

Roleplaying Larry fucked around with this message at 16:15 on Dec 27, 2021

Roleplaying Larry
Dec 5, 2008

Roleplaying Larry fucked around with this message at 16:15 on Dec 27, 2021

Billy Gnosis
May 18, 2006

Now is the time for us to gather together and celebrate those things that we like and think are fun.

Nighthand posted:

No, but he did reuse the panel where he forgot how hats work, so it's still funny.

That's for pointing that out. I almost missed it again. It's great.

Moola
Aug 16, 2006

:smith:

Rotten Red Rod
Mar 5, 2002

Ah god I had avoided looking at it too closely until now

Codependent Poster
Oct 20, 2003

If you showed someone a picture who hadn't seen it, would they be able to tell what it is?

Inexplicable Humblebrag
Sep 20, 2003

drat bill bailey is really enjoying that banana

Moola
Aug 16, 2006

Inexplicable Humblebrag posted:

drat bill bailey is really enjoying that banana

Full on belly laughed lol

SubG
Aug 19, 2004

Nighthand posted:

It's one of those incompetence fractals where the more you look at it the more problems you can find. The real underlying problem of it all is that he doesn't know how to compose a complex pose involving multiple figures, so nothing looks like it's actually interacting with anything else. The most noticeable example of this is Ink Witch's hat, but it's also true of, for example, Snout's pose: mentally remove the other figures. What's he doing? He looks like he's standing bolt upright, with a wickedly dislocated right shoulder (like check both the height and horizontal positioning of his right shoulder vs his left). Then try to figure out where Arudak's left shoulder is, or his right forearm. Then devise a working hypothesis for the location of corpsemom's left hand. And then try to work out the topology of Snout's left arm relative to wherever Arudak's right forearm is.

I mean I guess props for not just looking up and clumsily tracing an unfamiliar pose, because that's what he usually does. But I think this highlights one of Mookie's biggest problems as an artist. It's not that he can't draw, because that's something that more or less anyone can learn. It's that he can't see or analyse, or if he does he's completely loving uncritical.

Someone, I want to say Ira Glass, gave a talk about starting out in a creative field and he said something along the lines of: it's usually difficult when you start out as a writer or artist or film director or musician or whatever, because before you think of producing work in a creative field, you're usually already a fan of the existing stuff. So you're used to reading books or viewing art or watching movies or listening to music or whatever, so you've developed taste or standards or whatever already, and you're used to looking at stuff that's good enough to get published. And when you start out, you're probably not going to be as good as the stuff you like that made you want to take it up yourself. And that can be a trap, because you look at what you're making and it looks like poo poo so you get demotivated or depressed or whatever and might end up giving it up.

Mookie seems to be at the complete opposite end of the spectrum. He apparently never looks at anything he does, or if he does he just doesn't care. He doesn't understand basic nuts and bolts ideas about his characters like what their anatomy is, how their costumes (and they never change!) work, and so on.

I mean that's a lot of :words: about one lovely panel among countless others. But it's not just that he drew a bum panel, it's that he doesn't see that it's a bum panel. He just sees d'awwww, look at them hugging. So he thinks it's good enough to effectively work as a splash page or Christmas card or whatever you want to call a holiday placeholder. It's like he has prospagnosia only for art.

Baba Yaga Fanboy
May 18, 2011

Who the hell puts the dedication on the opposite page of the title of a book?

Who the hell puts the title of the person they're dedicating the book to? Usually it's something like, "To Connor. Go get 'em, Ace!" Something that means something specifically to the person it's dedicated to. This whole goddamn loving stupid rear end lovely comic is about loving BOOKS and once again it seems like this idiot has never read a loving book in his life

maltesh
May 20, 2004

Uncle Ben: Still Dead.
I've definitely seen "For my wife, [Name]" and similar in dedication pages..

That said, I don't recall ever seeing it before the title page in the books I can easily access.

Joe Slowboat
Nov 9, 2016

Higgledy-Piggledy Whale Statements

Yeah, to "NAME, my wife" is bland but I don't think it's super uncommon, especially if someone has written a lot of books.

That being said, it is a very uncanny valley volume. There's no attempt to capture the experience of a book any more than there was an attempt to capture the experience of beer, or good food, or rancid bog sex, or nearly any element of normal life in either the original Dominic Deegan or the Legacy.

I say 'nearly any element' because one specific thing was characterized pretty precisely, with multiple aspects and sensations, so that you know it mattered a lot to the author that one have an authentic sense of it.

It was being a bored child on a long car ride who has exhausted their capacity for wonder at the vistas and now wants to play on a gameboy but the batteries are dead.

That is the only emotion and experience this comic has successfully and specifically evoked, and it's petulant boredom.

SubG
Aug 19, 2004

Baba Yaga Fanboy posted:

Who the hell puts the title of the person they're dedicating the book to? Usually it's something like, "To Connor. Go get 'em, Ace!" Something that means something specifically to the person it's dedicated to.
I dunno, I think the "To my dear wife [foozle]" is a pretty common dedication format. Stephen King uses it in, for example The Stand: "For my wife Tabitha: This Dark Chest of Wonders". Reading the dedications to his other novels would teach you the names of several of his children, his brother, his mother, his editor, the names of several writers and what King thinks their best work is, and an entire short-short story about Warren Zevon including the fact that he wrote "Werewolves of London" and encouraged King to sing the lyrics during a performance.

SubG
Aug 19, 2004

maltesh posted:

I've definitely seen "For my wife, [Name]" and similar in dedication pages..

That said, I don't recall ever seeing it before the title page in the books I can easily access.
Ha, the example at the start of that page (apparently from Joseph Rotman's An Introduction to Algebraic Topology, of all things) is stolen from a dedication from a P.G. Wodehouse book, Heart of a Goof: "To my daughter Leonora without whose never-failing sympathy and encouragement this book would have been finished in half the time."

DicktheCat
Feb 15, 2011

SubG posted:

It's that he can't see or analyse, or if he does he's completely loving uncritical.

Ok, this is a huge deal in art and goes to the root of it.

When I'm teaching others, one of the things I stress is that a huge part of art is learning how to see correctly. I have this example from school: I struggled through life drawing class after life drawing class, and hated all my work. I was getting better at a glacial pace.

Then, during a painting class, my teacher plops down a set of pinecones, said "Examine them. Pick them up, turn them over, pick them apart with your eyes."

Then, it clicked, and I started working furiously, literally sketching how they were built, layer by layer, disassembling them with my eyes. They aren't good by my own standards now, but I hold onto those little paintings because they were the start of me knowing how to see.

Everyone thinks that drawing is automatic, that there is no thought. This isn't so. When I draw something complex, I'm literally making tons of little calculations in my head, going between eyes, brain, hand. The stereotype of an artist measuring what he sees against his pencil is real for a reason because he's calculating things like space and distance. I have taken complex things physically apart before, in order to draw them, even.

Mookie literally doesn't know how to see or think when he's drawing. That leads to this:

SubG posted:

He doesn't understand basic nuts and bolts ideas about his characters like what their anatomy is, how their costumes (and they never change!) work, and so on.

Douche Wolf 89
Dec 9, 2010

🍉🐺8️⃣9️⃣
Terrible news everyone

Joe Slowboat
Nov 9, 2016

Higgledy-Piggledy Whale Statements

Oh no is the 'threefold self' going to be 'my friends, because their challenges are mine too'?

What a miserable 'breakthrough' and what a miserable excuse for research and analysis. Also for a comic.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Caphi
Jan 6, 2012

INCREDIBLE
MY FRIENDS <3

This is gross.