Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Xarn
Jun 26, 2015
Just casual 10k+ chars long symbols. This language is great :v:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

rjmccall
Sep 7, 2007

no worries friend
Fun Shoe

cheetah7071 posted:

What might cause a function to be so un-linked that the compiler doesn't even know its name? I'm getting this error, with only information about which project and which .lib file the error was in

e: I figured it out, complaining on the internet is always the fastest way to get something done. I forgot that pre-compiled .lib files shouldn't have templated functions

ee: wait no that wasn't it

eee:

I have code like this

code:
void Foo2() {
auto f = [&] {Foo();};
}
void Foo() {}
in my source file, with both Foo and Foo2 declared in a header. I thought it wouldn't matter what order I defined them in, but I guess the lambda function messed with it somehow? reversing them so that Foo was defined before Foo2, in the source file, resolved the issue

This either should work or shouldn’t compile, depending on what comes before, but MSVC is a very weird compiler.

Zopotantor
Feb 24, 2013

...und ist er drin dann lassen wir ihn niemals wieder raus...

Xarn posted:

Just casual 10k+ chars long symbols. This language is great :v:

When I started using C, you had to make do with 8. You could still use longer names, but external symbols were silently(!) truncated. Also, most compilers would reduce the limit to 7 because they always inserted an underscore at the beginning for arcane reasons.

The limit was imposed by the object file format, not the language.

cheetah7071
Oct 20, 2010

honk honk
College Slice
Is there a generally better way to read small amounts of information from a large number of files on the hard drive, than something like

code:
for (auto filename : filelist) {
	std::ifstream ifs{filename};
	ifs.seekg(positionWithHeaderInfoYouWant);
	ifs.read(...);
	//use that header info
	ifs.close();
}
This works but the speed is extremely variable. Like sometimes it'll handle ten thousand files per second and sometimes it takes multiple minutes to read 100 files, with the exact same code and the exact same set of files.

I'd think this is just how it always works, but when I use programs written by other people, they never seem to have this problem, which is what makes me think that maybe there's a trick I'm not aware of

Xarn
Jun 26, 2015
Are you limited to standard C++?

cheetah7071
Oct 20, 2010

honk honk
College Slice

Xarn posted:

Are you limited to standard C++?

I'm free to add a library dependency, if that's what you're asking

OddObserver
Apr 3, 2009
Which OS you're on may matter a lot. Also if are you using spinning media or SSDs?

(Linux has bad file system performance. Windows and Mac are much worse).

cheetah7071
Oct 20, 2010

honk honk
College Slice
This is Windows, on an SSD

to be honest the frustrating part is less the slowness and more the inconsistency. If it was just slow I could rewrite my code to not do a first-pass read of the headers. But when it randomly decides to be fast, getting the header info before doing a second-pass full read of the files is much, much faster. And again, when I run binaries written by other people that are doing very similar things under the hood (but I don't have access to the source code so I can't be completely sure), the header-reading step seems to be consistently very fast.

cheetah7071
Oct 20, 2010

honk honk
College Slice
Never mind, I'm a big dummy. There's still some variability, but the insane thousand-fold slowdown I was getting today which caused me to write my post was because I was compiling in debug mode

If there's a better way than what I have posted I'd still love to hear it though, because I do get random 2- or 3-fold slowdowns even when I'm not being a dummy

nielsm
Jun 1, 2009

Do the work in parallel and use the native Win32 functions for "overlapped IO". That's the Windows kernel term for asynchronous, event driven file access.
You'd first issue a large number of overlapped CreateFile calls, and for the completion of each of those trigger overlapped seek and read operations.

Theoretically, issuing more IO operations at once should allow the device drivers and storage controller combine and reorder requests into what's most efficient for the actual physical representation.

It's also a lot more work writing and ensuring the code is correct.

nielsm fucked around with this message at 05:07 on Dec 4, 2021

Computer viking
May 30, 2011
Now with less breakage.

This seems somewhat relevant - and is kind of neat in general:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qbKGw8MQ0i8

Their biggest simple upgrade doesn't really apply to you, though - a big difference between Windows and the others is that in Windows, closing a file only returns after syncing to disk, while in the other OSes it returns immediately and syncs in the background. Which means that if you were writing to a lot of files, it makes sense to have a lot of threads set aside just to wait for the close operations.

Computer viking fucked around with this message at 00:50 on Dec 4, 2021

Xarn
Jun 26, 2015

nielsm posted:

Do the work in parallel and use the native Win32 functions for "overlapped IO". That's the Windows kernel term for asynchronous, event driven file access.
You'd first issue a large number of overlapped CreateFile calls, and for the completion of each of those trigger overlapped seek and read operations.

Theoretically, issuing more IO operations at once should allow the device drivers and storage controller combine and reorder requests into what's most efficient for the actual physical representation.

It's also a lot more work writing and ensuring the code is correct.

Beware, unless you are already familiar with MS's docs so you know how to read them, this is fuckton of work.

Depending on what you are gonna do with the files afterwards, you can try memory mapped IO and Boost to abstract over it if you plan to port the code to different platforms.

Volguus
Mar 3, 2009

Xarn posted:

Beware, unless you are already familiar with MS's docs so you know how to read them, this is fuckton of work.

Depending on what you are gonna do with the files afterwards, you can try memory mapped IO and Boost to abstract over it if you plan to port the code to different platforms.

Wouldn't a library like libuv help in this situation? As in, provide the async IO without having to get dirty with the Win32 functions? And still have some hope that the IO code is at least somewhat correct?

Rocko Bonaparte
Mar 12, 2002

Every day is Friday!
I am betting that online course or whatever calling for an observer-subject assignment didn't mention what to do about object lifetime management. I think that just gets overlooked in general with that pattern and they should go through some strategies with it. You can even screw yourself up with it in languages/runtimes that manage memory by keeping references to objects that you otherwise no longer cared about.

Pennywise the Frown
May 10, 2010

Upset Trowel
Do you guys do C# in here? I'm just looking for some (hopefully free) online tutorials to help me continue my learning. I finished a semester in school and we have this stupid loving "book" where we have access to it virtually for 4 months (full price) and then we lose access at the end of the semester so I don't have that resource anymore. :patriot:

I'm going to check out W3 Schools I think first. Any other in depth guides?

nielsm
Jun 1, 2009

Try the .NET thread for C# talk.

Pennywise the Frown
May 10, 2010

Upset Trowel

Thanks!

Nalin
Sep 29, 2007

Hair Elf
I've been smacking my head against C++20 modules for a while now and I just haven't been able to get my code to compile. Is anybody able to explain to me why this tiny solution doesn't compile in Visual Studio 2022? If I can find out why it is failing, I would be one step closer to getting my project to compile.

I get the following error:
C7621: module partition 'Part' for module unit 'File' was not found.

The project:
https://drive.google.com/file/d/1-9Rotd3c2qSmr1esoYs-1YTQmCYL1oMk/view?usp=sharing

Nalin
Sep 29, 2007

Hair Elf
Well, I think I've figured it out. Visual Studio 2022 17.0.4 cannot have a module implementation unit of a partition. I'm not sure if this is a limitation of modules or a bug with Visual Studio, but I can work around it by either not using partitions or only using partitions without an implementation unit.

Twerk from Home
Jan 17, 2009

This avatar brought to you by the 'save our dead gay forums' foundation.
I'm trying to get an application that's using the simde library for portable SIMD to run happily on Apple Silicon. So far, the biggest tripping point is that ARM NEON bit-shifting operations can only be called with a compile-time constant offset. For example, I'm calling _mm_slli_epi64, which simde is mapping onto these NEON instructions like vshlq_n_s16. I can't find an elegant way to make sure that these always are called with compile-time constants, as we had wrapper functions around them and as I understand it, there's no way to guarantee that a function is called only with compile-time constants, so I changed the functions into macros.

The other problem that I had is a small number of places where these were called with runtime variables, which I could build a lookup table like this project did: https://github.com/VectorCamp/vectorscan/pull/81/files#diff-1f738fe3ab986614e926b3ce01fcd42dbf3e8ccb79337931af69450f56319554R178

Doing a lookup table like that feels incredibly repetitive and inelegant, is there some way with templates to create something like this over a range of numbers that I define?

code:
VecW vecw_slli_lookup(VecW vv, uint8_t ct) {
  switch(ct) {
    default: return _mm_slli_epi64(vv, 0);
    case 1: return _mm_slli_epi64(vv, 1);
    case 2: return _mm_slli_epi64(vv, 2);
    case 3: return _mm_slli_epi64(vv, 3);
    case 4: return _mm_slli_epi64(vv, 4);
    case 5: return _mm_slli_epi64(vv, 5);
    case 6: return _mm_slli_epi64(vv, 6);
    case 7: return _mm_slli_epi64(vv, 7);
  }
}

Jabor
Jul 16, 2010

#1 Loser at SpaceChem
NEON has "shift by a runtime value" operations (e.g. vshlq_s16 instead of vshlq_n_s16), it seems strange that your portability library is using the compile-time-constant-only variant of the intrinsic to emulate an SSE instruction that isn't restricted to compile-time constants.

Nalin
Sep 29, 2007

Hair Elf
C++20 introduces consteval, which can force a function to be evaluated at compile-time.

code:
template <uint8_t N>
consteval auto vecw_slli_lookup(VecW vv)
{
    static_assert(N < 8, "vecw_slli_lookup may only be used with N < 8.");
    return _mm_slli_epi64(vv, N);
}
gcc supports it well, but clang does not (partial support in clang 14). And iirc Apple clang is behind normal clang.

EDIT: Some searching shows this C++17 based solution:

code:
template <auto V>
struct constant {
    constexpr static decltype(V) value = V;
};

template <uint8_t N>
constexpr auto vecw_slli_lookup(VecW vv)
{
    static_assert(N < 8, "vecw_slli_lookup may only be used with N < 8.");
    return _mm_slli_epi64(vv, N);
}

int main()
{
    auto result = constant<vecw_slli_lookup<5>(0)>::value;
    return 0;
}

Nalin fucked around with this message at 07:04 on Jan 15, 2022

Plorkyeran
Mar 22, 2007

To Escape The Shackles Of The Old Forums, We Must Reject The Tribal Negativity He Endorsed

Twerk from Home posted:

The other problem that I had is a small number of places where these were called with runtime variables, which I could build a lookup table like this project did: https://github.com/VectorCamp/vectorscan/pull/81/files#diff-1f738fe3ab986614e926b3ce01fcd42dbf3e8ccb79337931af69450f56319554R178

Doing a lookup table like that feels incredibly repetitive and inelegant, is there some way with templates to create something like this over a range of numbers that I define?

code:
  switch(ct) {
    default: return _mm_slli_epi64(vv, 0);
    case 1: return _mm_slli_epi64(vv, 1);
    case 2: return _mm_slli_epi64(vv, 2);
    case 3: return _mm_slli_epi64(vv, 3);
    case 4: return _mm_slli_epi64(vv, 4);
    case 5: return _mm_slli_epi64(vv, 5);
    case 6: return _mm_slli_epi64(vv, 6);
    case 7: return _mm_slli_epi64(vv, 7);
  }
}

code:
template<uint8_t N, typename F>
auto to_constexpr(uint8_t n, F&& func) {
    if (N == n) {
        return func(std::integral_constant<uint8_t, N>());
    }
    if constexpr (N == 0) {
        abort();
    }
    else {
        return to_constexpr<N - 1, F>(n, std::forward<F>(func));
    }
}

return to_constexpr<7>(ct, [vv](auto ct) {
      return _mm_slli_epi64(vv, ct());
  });
}
Probably compiles to the same thing as the switch (with the addition of a default case that calls abort()) with optimizations enabled but I didn't bother to verify.

Beef
Jul 26, 2004
Yep. All compilers will constant fold the switch variant. At least as long as the number is known at compile time and not the result of some atoi() or something.

Twerk from Home
Jan 17, 2009

This avatar brought to you by the 'save our dead gay forums' foundation.

Jabor posted:

NEON has "shift by a runtime value" operations (e.g. vshlq_s16 instead of vshlq_n_s16), it seems strange that your portability library is using the compile-time-constant-only variant of the intrinsic to emulate an SSE instruction that isn't restricted to compile-time constants.

I looked at vshlq_s16, it looks like it takes a vector instead of an integer as the argument to shift by, so if I wanted to bit-shift a whole vector by 4, I'd need to create a second vector of equal length and fill it with 4s.

I appreciate all of the suggestions that people gave here! The project is using C++11, and I think that the lookup table will be easier to live with, given that it's only needed in one place. The value to shift by is actually determined at runtime, so maybe I should inline the function to keep overhead reasonably small.

baby puzzle
Jun 3, 2011

I'll Sequence your Storm.
I'm trying to figure out how to write a const getter for this class. It is an object that gives you access to an object while it locks a mutex for the duration of the lifetime of a ProtectedObjectAccess object. I'm not sure if I need to include that code.

code:
template < typename T >
class ProtectedObject
{
	std::recursive_mutex m_Mutex;
	T m_Object;
public:

ProtectedObjectAccess< T > Get()
	{
		return ProtectedObjectAccess( m_Object, m_Mutex );
	}
};
I'm trying to use it this way:

code:
bool MyClass::ConstFunction() const
{
	const auto access = m_SelectedObjects.Get();
}
I get an error because Get() isn't const, so I can't call it. I'm having a hard time figuring out how to write a const version of the Get() function.

roomforthetuna
Mar 22, 2005

I don't need to know anything about virii! My CUSTOM PROGRAM keeps me protected! It's not like they'll try to come in through the Internet or something!

baby puzzle posted:

I get an error because Get() isn't const, so I can't call it. I'm having a hard time figuring out how to write a const version of the Get() function.
I could be wrong, but I think what you need here is for the mutex to have the 'mutable' keyword (which means you can gently caress with it even when its container is const). Then your Get function can be const and still do its job (so long as ProtectedObjectAccess's constructor has an instance where the first parameter is a const T).

This whole thing looks like a horror though.

rjmccall
Sep 7, 2007

no worries friend
Fun Shoe
A locking wrapper like that isn’t the craziest thing — Rust does something like it — but you should really take the locked operation as a lambda argument or something instead of trying to return some sort of guarded value. And yes, you will need to make the mutex mutable. Also, it probably shouldn’t be a recursive mutex, because any time you find yourself wanting a recursive mutex is a time when you need to back up and completely rethink what you’re doing.

baby puzzle
Jun 3, 2011

I think I'm just gonna const_cast when I need to..

e: i'm drunk and being gross. nvm.

baby puzzle fucked around with this message at 09:48 on Jan 19, 2022

Xarn
Jun 26, 2015

rjmccall posted:

but you should really take the locked operation as a lambda argument or something instead of trying to return some sort of guarded value.

This is the correct solution.

baby puzzle
Jun 3, 2011

Probably. I'm always using in cases like this, at the top of a scope. Just to make it easy for me to see if I'm using it improperly. But of course I can still easily do the wrong thing with it.

code:
			{
				auto selectedObjects = m_SelectedObjects.Get();
				for ( auto& i : selectedObjects.get() )
				{
					auto obj = i.lock();
					if ( obj )
					{
						newGroup->AddObject( obj );
					}
				}
			}

So I guess a lambda would make more sense? And would look basically the same. But I'm not sure exactly how to do that. Well, if I really want to do it, I'll figure it out.

Xarn
Jun 26, 2015
The idea is that you write something like this (add forwarding constructors and proper return types and so on as needed)

C++ code:
template <typename T>
class locking_wrapper {
    std::mutex m_mutex;
    T m_t;
public:

template <typename Func>
    void do_locked(Func&& f) {
        std::unique_lock _(m_mutex);
        f(m_t);
    }    
};
And then the usage looks like this

C++ code:
locked_t.do_locked([](int i) {
    // everything here happens with the mutex on locked_t engaged
});
So that the users of the synchronized value don't have to fiddle around with mutexes and lock lifetimes.

roomforthetuna
Mar 22, 2005

I don't need to know anything about virii! My CUSTOM PROGRAM keeps me protected! It's not like they'll try to come in through the Internet or something!

Xarn posted:

So that the users of the synchronized value don't have to fiddle around with mutexes and lock lifetimes.
Though if you're using clang, absl::Mutex and friends with annotations (ABSL_GUARDED_BY etc.) are amazing and will prevent most footguns, in conjunction with -Wthread-safety. (The annotations are also compatible with not-clang but will no longer actively prevent footguns.)

Edit: you could also combine the annotations with this template idea, which would prevent you from doing a lock-mutex from within another lock on the same mutex, for example.

Absurd Alhazred
Mar 27, 2010

by Athanatos

Xarn posted:

The idea is that you write something like this (add forwarding constructors and proper return types and so on as needed)

C++ code:
template <typename T>
class locking_wrapper {
    std::mutex m_mutex;
    T m_t;
public:

template <typename Func>
    void do_locked(Func&& f) {
        std::unique_lock _(m_mutex);
        f(m_t);
    }    
};
And then the usage looks like this

C++ code:
locked_t.do_locked([](int i) {
    // everything here happens with the mutex on locked_t engaged
});

Doesn't this get a bit unwieldy if you have more than one locked value? Although I guess you could call .do_locked() on other objects inside of lambdas.

Xarn
Jun 26, 2015
Yes if they are independent (so they should logically get their own mutex) and yes.

Foxfire_
Nov 8, 2010

If you're locking two mutexes at the same time, you are well on your way to deadlocktown and should do a bunch more thinking

roomforthetuna
Mar 22, 2005

Foxfire_ posted:

If you're locking two mutexes at the same time, you are well on your way to deadlocktown and should do a bunch more thinking
And if it turns out you *must* do that for some reason, this is a really really great time to set up those thread safety annotations! ABSL_ACQUIRED_BEFORE and/or ABSL_ACQUIRED_AFTER is a good way to be confident you're not causing two-lock deadlocks.

rjmccall
Sep 7, 2007

no worries friend
Fun Shoe
If they’re not independent, you can of course just make the locked value a struct.

As a general rule, some people struggle with just making new types when they’d be useful, as if writing the struct keyword was some enormously fraught undertaking. If you are one of them, that is a good instinct to drive out.

Xarn
Jun 26, 2015

roomforthetuna posted:

And if it turns out you *must* do that for some reason, this is a really really great time to set up those thread safety annotations! ABSL_ACQUIRED_BEFORE and/or ABSL_ACQUIRED_AFTER is a good way to be confident you're not causing two-lock deadlocks.

Orrrr you can use std::lock, which afaik guarantees no deadlocks when acquiring multiple mutexes.

rjmccall posted:

If they’re not independent, you can of course just make the locked value a struct.

As a general rule, some people struggle with just making new types when they’d be useful, as if writing the struct keyword was some enormously fraught undertaking. If you are one of them, that is a good instinct to drive out.

I sometimes have this problem and my first idea was fo frankenstein together a variadic version of the wrapper :v:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jabor
Jul 16, 2010

#1 Loser at SpaceChem

Xarn posted:

Orrrr you can use std::lock, which afaik guarantees no deadlocks when acquiring multiple mutexes.

This doesn't help if your usage pattern involves doing work while holding lock 1, then acquiring lock 2 without releasing lock 1, then doing more work.