Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

mA
Jul 10, 2001
I am the ugly lover.

Rinkles posted:

are there really that many games with subpar dlss? or do you mean it's not widely supported?

In my play though of the Alan Wake remaster, it's not implemented very well, and doesn't give much of a performance improvement over native 4k w/ my 3090. At the same time, that might be more of a function of the poor quality of the PC port, which was surprising since it's a Remedy game and the implementation was so good with Control.

mA fucked around with this message at 01:24 on Jan 3, 2022

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Vivian Darkbloom
Jul 14, 2004

GeForce Experience is supposed to have an image scaling feature if you enable experimental mode. If you have experimental mode on, can you check that it's showing up for you? I don't see it anywhere in the settings where it should be.

CoolCab
Apr 17, 2005

glem
think someone was complaining the latest driver broke it

Dr. Video Games 0031
Jul 17, 2004

mA posted:

In my play though of the Alan Wake remaster, it's not implemented very well, and doesn't give much of a performance improvement over native 4k w/ my 3090. At the same time, that might be more of a function of the poor quality of the PC port, which was surprising since it's a Remedy game and the implementation was so good with Control.

Performance gains from upscaling is usually dependent on how optimized a game's CPU performance is. Drawing more frames per second requires more work from the CPU, so if a game is already CPU bottlenecked, then DLSS will potentially do nothing.

the nucas
Sep 12, 2002
are there any goon-preferred stock alert discords? i've come up with a few on my own, just curious - i searched the thread back to june and found lots of oblique references and one guy asking about them who got no replies. is this something we don't talk about publicly or are there just no good answers?

friend of mine was influenced by my unbridled enthusiasm about my first UW monitor (loving rules guys, do it) and got himself a samsung g9... annnd he's running a 1060. shouldn't feel bad but i do, wanted to help him get a card. i'm good at turning rote tasks into obsessive hobbies.

Kibner
Oct 21, 2008

Acguy Supremacy

GoatSeeGuy posted:

I made the same jump this week, it really is a whole new world out there. Now to just clear out this backlog of games I've been holding off on.

Speaking of, even if this is the GPU thread- is the XBox (X/1/360?) controller the go-to for Windows or is there something better since apparently Real Yakuza use a controller.

There is always this bizarre thing you can pair with a separate mouse for a hybrid controller + mouse solution: https://www.azeron.eu/

Alan Smithee
Jan 4, 2005

A man becomes preeminent, he's expected to have enthusiasms.

Enthusiasms, enthusiasms...

the nucas posted:

are there any goon-preferred stock alert discords? i've come up with a few on my own, just curious - i searched the thread back to june and found lots of oblique references and one guy asking about them who got no replies. is this something we don't talk about publicly or are there just no good answers?

friend of mine was influenced by my unbridled enthusiasm about my first UW monitor (loving rules guys, do it) and got himself a samsung g9... annnd he's running a 1060. shouldn't feel bad but i do, wanted to help him get a card. i'm good at turning rote tasks into obsessive hobbies.

falcodrin

fixitfixitfixit

Warbird
May 23, 2012

America's Favorite Dumbass

the nucas posted:

FixItx3 was pretty solid for that sort of thing and you can customize the alerts you want fairly granularly

the nucas
Sep 12, 2002
thanks fellas! off the races (provided my boomer rear end set up irc discord correctly).

get to see how bad the market is first-hand, at least its without the stress of shopping on my own behalf.

Canna Happy
Jul 11, 2004
The engine, code A855, has a cast iron closed deck block and split crankcase. It uses an 8.1:1 compression ratio with Mahle cast eutectic aluminum alloy pistons, forged connecting rods with cracked caps and threaded-in 9 mm rod bolts, and a cast high

the nucas posted:

are there any goon-preferred stock alert discords?

https://discord.gg/nerdspeak

I like ns.

Vivian Darkbloom
Jul 14, 2004

Vivian Darkbloom posted:

GeForce Experience is supposed to have an image scaling feature if you enable experimental mode. If you have experimental mode on, can you check that it's showing up for you? I don't see it anywhere in the settings where it should be.

I figured this out - it wasn't showing up because I had scaling on in windows Display Settings.

Now I can use these scaled resolutions, but it doesn't work like I'd hope because those are in the wrong aspect ratio for my 16:9 screen. Still, progress I guess.

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

Kibner posted:

There is always this bizarre thing you can pair with a separate mouse for a hybrid controller + mouse solution: https://www.azeron.eu/

Fwiw this thing is really fuckin cool

track day bro!
Feb 17, 2005

#essereFerrari
Grimey Drawer

mrk posted:

It's the AMP 750w I have. The 3080 Ti FE has coil whine and seems fairly common among Founders Edition 30 series cards though. Not a major issue of course. The PSU has been pretty rock solid really.

Are you sure it's not the psu that has coil whine? Because mine was silent when I was running it in my old x99 system. Then when I built the 5900X system with it I had really noticeable coil whine.

Then I put the gpu back in the old system and it was dead silent. Putting my ear to the new psu confirmed the source of coil whine.

Scan were nice enough to rma the first psu and then refunded me on the second one when it did exactly the same thing. Put me off buying corsair psus and it was a well reviewed 800w platinum unit too.

At some point I'm gonna buy some stupid seasonic 1000w overkill psu just to make sure.

HalloKitty
Sep 30, 2005

Adjust the bass and let the Alpine blast

thats not candy posted:

i cant believe ive been using my 1080ti for four years now

It was expensive at the time, sure, but holy crap has it held up well due to many factors.

Kibner
Oct 21, 2008

Acguy Supremacy

MarcusSA posted:

Fwiw this thing is really fuckin cool

I pre-ordered one a while back and it should come this spring. Honestly can't wait as it is a type of controller I have wanted since I was in high school. There are some other ones similar to this, but using a key pad, instead. This seems better for my old hands.

I designed mine to look like Mardi Gras since I moved away from South Louisiana a while back:

My gf loves 80s and cyber punk aesthetics, so she designed this one:

repiv
Aug 13, 2009

:sickos:

https://twitter.com/VideoCardz/status/1477994011830980614

Zedsdeadbaby
Jun 14, 2008

You have been called out, in the ways of old.
:stonk:

Weird Pumpkin
Oct 7, 2007

:wtc:

the nucas
Sep 12, 2002

i'm hitting a point where my hobby feels wasteful and destructive

maybe installing a titanium PSU will ameliorate my guilt

kliras
Mar 27, 2021
are they trying to prepare us for mcm power draw or something

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy

the nucas posted:

unless your hobby is a owning a boat I think there's still a ways to go before you really get up there on the wasteful scale

BurritoJustice
Oct 9, 2012

kliras posted:

Nah, just board partners being crazy with oc card power limits. The 3090Ti Kingpin has two PCIe 5.0 16-pin connectors, so a theoretical limit of 600W+600W+75W=1275W 12v. You'll likely need to flash the LN2 bios anyway.

Alan Smithee
Jan 4, 2005

A man becomes preeminent, he's expected to have enthusiasms.

Enthusiasms, enthusiasms...

kliras posted:

MCU power draw

The voltage of Thor

The shielding of Captain America

The constant fluidity of Spider-Man

The endless trips to Asia of dr strange

The money of iron man

Previa_fun
Nov 10, 2004

the nucas posted:

I know goons like are full doomer these days and like to beat themselves up over things beyond their control buuuuut

1.) you should enjoy things that bring you joy, and also https://forums.somethingawful.com/forumdisplay.php?forumid=91 exists and compared to the energy even a super efficient economy car uses your shitposting rig is a drop in the bucket.

honestly e-waste is probably a bigger concern than power usage outside of crypto farms

CoolCab
Apr 17, 2005

glem

Previa_fun posted:

honestly e-waste is probably a bigger concern than power usage outside of crypto farms

in the winter in cold places maybe. i wasn't kidding when my first reaction when someone was announcing all these things was that air conditioner manufacturers must be overjoyed, lol.

Zedsdeadbaby
Jun 14, 2008

You have been called out, in the ways of old.
Oh, they are. But only because people are boiling the planet to death. Invest in some air conditioner manufacturer stocks

mrk
Jan 14, 2004

what the f/2.8 is going on here!

track day bro! posted:

Are you sure it's not the psu that has coil whine? Because mine was silent when I was running it in my old x99 system. Then when I built the 5900X system with it I had really noticeable coil whine.

Then I put the gpu back in the old system and it was dead silent. Putting my ear to the new psu confirmed the source of coil whine.

Scan were nice enough to rma the first psu and then refunded me on the second one when it did exactly the same thing. Put me off buying corsair psus and it was a well reviewed 800w platinum unit too.

At some point I'm gonna buy some stupid seasonic 1000w overkill psu just to make sure.

It's been well talked about online with the 30 series FE cards. The fact that simply changing refresh rate in a game or the locked framerate changes the pitch of the whine indicates it's the GPU as well as refresh rate has nothing to do with the PSU really.

Some combinations of PSU and GPU can introduce coil whine as well from everything I read.

I have a Corsair RM850x arriving tomorrow as am isolating a random crash to desktop issue with the 3080 Ti when gaming in games that has RTX turned on. Cyberpunk 2077 will just CTD for example at a random time in the game. I have tried changing the outlet of the PCIe power cables on the PSU to rule out a power rails issue, changed PCIe cables from nVidia adapter to Phantek's direct 12 pin cable, adjusted RAM settings in BIOS etc etc but all seem to have the same issue and info online seems to point to some PSUs being the issue. The Phanetks 750w I have is not fully ATX 12v compliant either and there have been reports of a low cutoff when the GPU demands bit more power so this might be the root cause hence the RM850x order which is fully compliant and has a higher cut off.

Turmoil
Jun 27, 2000

Forum Veteran

Young Urchin

BurritoJustice posted:

Nah, just board partners being crazy with oc card power limits. The 3090Ti Kingpin has two PCIe 5.0 16-pin connectors, so a theoretical limit of 600W+600W+75W=1275W 12v. You'll likely need to flash the LN2 bios anyway.

Speaking of flashing the BIOS for more power.
I got a laugh out of the EVGA forums where someone was asking about flashing their 3080Ti's BIOS so it could draw 13 more watts of power because they're obsessed with increasing the performance by 5%.

Not sure how they think that'll all work.

Cygni
Nov 12, 2005

raring to post

Coil whine is a dark art. Sometimes lowering the power draw of whatever is humming will help, sometimes it will hurt. Sometimes changing other components will make it worse, sometimes better.

The biggest advice is don’t freak out right away. Those harmonics absolutely change slightly with age and use, so wait a month or two with a new card and see if it persists. Even with an evga card that does cover coil whine under warranty, you are likely going to be without a card for a while if you send it in right now. So as long as you are comfortably in the warranty period, I would give it a little time.

Both the 2080 and 3090 I have had awful screechers at first, but it was completely gone within a few months. Meanwhile the Radeon 7700 I had years ago still screams to this day. YMMV.

the nucas
Sep 12, 2002

CoolCab posted:

in the winter in cold places maybe. i wasn't kidding when my first reaction when someone was announcing all these things was that air conditioner manufacturers must be overjoyed, lol.

i live in a hot region on the coast, i was actually thinking about undervolting my card this summer to keep temps in my bedroom comfortable. never done it before but i've heard you can get good power reductions without losing much performance.

if the rumors about the TDP for the 4000 series are true i'm not sure i'd even want to own one, unless water cooling somehow vents less heat into your house or something.

CoolCab
Apr 17, 2005

glem
nope, unless you have some sort of external setup for your loop that includes the rad outside or at a vent or something.

Cygni
Nov 12, 2005

raring to post

the nucas posted:

if the rumors about the TDP for the 4000 series are true i'm not sure i'd even want to own one, unless water cooling somehow vents less heat into your house or something.

Just like current gen, not every card is going to have huge power draw. The high performance, insanely high price parts from all three brands likely will, but expect cards all the way up and down the price and power spectrum if supply ever recovers, from $150-3000 and 75w-1000w. Nvidia even produced a slot-powered part for this generation, it just only got released in mobile (where Nvidia had already signed long lead time contracts with laptop OEM/ODMs) due to the insane demand for much more profitable parts per wafer.

Dr. Video Games 0031
Jul 17, 2004

the nucas posted:

i live in a hot region on the coast, i was actually thinking about undervolting my card this summer to keep temps in my bedroom comfortable. never done it before but i've heard you can get good power reductions without losing much performance.

You can get power reductions with no loss in performance at all with undervolting depending on how you do it. It's just a free drop in temperatures and energy consumption.

And kiiinda actually with water cooling since a GPU will be more power efficient at 50C rather than 80C, though most probably not enough to move the needle. By default, the card will try to draw up to its max power limit anyway, so any small efficiency gains usually mean slightly more performance unless you weren't butting up against the power limit to start with (at which point an undervolt would be far more effective)

change my name
Aug 27, 2007

Legends die but anime is forever.

RIP The Lost Otakus.

Cygni posted:

Just like current gen, not every card is going to have huge power draw. The high performance, insanely high price parts from all three brands likely will, but expect cards all the way up and down the price and power spectrum if supply ever recovers, from $150-3000 and 75w-1000w. Nvidia even produced a slot-powered part for this generation, it just only got released in mobile (where Nvidia had already signed long lead time contracts with laptop OEM/ODMs) due to the insane demand for much more profitable parts per wafer.

Yeah, the 3070 uses about the same or less electricity than the 970 through 2070. I don't think every part of the stack will simply shoot up 300 watts.

Dr. Video Games 0031
Jul 17, 2004

edit: ^^^ it uses substantially more than all of those. 220 watts is an unprecedented TDP for a 70-tier card. The 970's was 148W, the 1070's was 150W, and the 2070's was 165W. Ampere was a big step up on TDP across the product stack due to a general lack of power efficiency gains. Lovelace could potentially repeat this.

Cygni posted:

I agree, though I'll say that ampere was underwhelming from a performance per watt standpoint across the product stack. The 3070 was slightly better than a 2080 Ti which is cool, but it only draws like 10% less power. You would've expected a bigger efficiency gain from 12nm to 8nm, but ampere is very power hungry. In comparison, the 6600XT was slightly better than the 5700XT, and it draws nearly 30% less power despite being manufactured on the same TSMC 7nm process. AMD uses that extra power efficiency to push clock rates to very high levels. I hope nvidia has some bigger power efficiency gains in store for Lovelace so all the extra power they're drawing will actually be worth more.

Dr. Video Games 0031 fucked around with this message at 20:28 on Jan 3, 2022

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

What I'm getting at is...
Do you feel the same way?

Dr. Video Games 0031 posted:

In comparison, the 6600XT was slightly better than the 5700XT, and it draws nearly 30% less power despite being manufactured on the same TSMC 7nm process. AMD uses that extra power efficiency to push clock rates to very high levels.

Even at MSRP it wasn't much of an increase in terms of dollar efficiency, though!

FAT32 SHAMER
Aug 16, 2012

what was the nvidia announcement the other day? I'm assuming it's the 3090ti, but just wanted to make sure it wasnt the 40 series

Dr. Video Games 0031
Jul 17, 2004

FAT32 SHAMER posted:

what was the nvidia announcement the other day? I'm assuming it's the 3090ti, but just wanted to make sure it wasnt the 40 series

The announcement is happening tomorrow. There is no way they're hiding a 40-series announcement.

Death On Toast
Aug 2, 2006
The better half of the Brothers Douche.

the nucas posted:

I actually gained like 1% in benchmark score, while reducing my 3090's power consumption by ~75w with an undervolt, because the card would turbo higher due to not hitting thermal/power limits.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cygni
Nov 12, 2005

raring to post

I personally expect both AMD and Nvidia's next gen high end monolithic gaming parts will sit at a similar 300-350W in reference config. Those dies are historically designed to pull double duty for the server accelerator market, and in the server PCIe config they are generally limited to about 300W in most current chassis. The higher end server OAM/SXM mezzanine parts will be hitting 600W next gen, but those are expected to be MCMs from all three vendors and are pretty much going to require water cooling, be it direct die, immersion, or back door (although i dont know how GPU dense you could really get even with door water cooling at those power figures).

I also wouldn't be surprised at all if all three start offering mega over juiced versions of those designs, way out on the end of the performance/watt spectrum for turbo nerds. The current 350W for the 3090 reference and 330W for the 6900XT Liquid fit nicely within the "enthusiast" demographics expected PSU budget and I would expect parts at those points next cycle. But the newly discovered turbo nerd zone of 450W $2000+ 3090 Tis and Kingpins seems like a growth area. Sure, it's not going to outperform the 3080 that has the same die that much... but there definitely seems people willing and able to pay and feed these beasts now, and they would be stupid not to take their money with insaneo parts that 99% of people should never even think about.

Of course Nvidia never follows even its own trends, so who knows! Next gen is going to be extremely strange with all three companies expected to have monolithic and MCM parts on the market in different segments.