Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

~Coxy
Dec 9, 2003

R.I.P. Inter-OS Sass - b.2000AD d.2003AD

Coq au Nandos posted:

Well, that does make the decision a lot simpler. Thanks Coxyyyyyyyy have a sick one champion.

P.S. If you would shop at Coles you should consider loading up on Apple Gift Cards next week for "10% off" (not really) face value in the form of flybuys.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

FCKGW
May 21, 2006

Centrist Committee posted:

I gotta be honest, I don’t understand the iPad product matrix at all

I don't think it's that's hard to understand.
Regular iPad - Cheap iPad for kids, schools, or anyone who doesn't need much from the device.
iPad Air - Little more expensive but you get some nicer features. Head to this product if you you;; reach for it for quick tasks instead of your desktop.
iPad Pro - This is the work iPad. Do you do serious stuff on the iPad? Get this guy
iPad Mini - lol gently caress you, pay us an extra 40% because you want the niche screen size

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

It's not just the models but the features in each model. Apple has them all expertly stepped out on the pricing so that the next bump in power is "only" $100 or $200 more.

You load up the site to get a base iPad and before you know it you're considering a maxed out 12.9 pro.

anothergod
Apr 11, 2016

FCKGW posted:

iPad Mini - lol gently caress you, pay us an extra 40% because you want the niche screen size

Gonna pop in here because I love my iPad mini. The current iPad mini is 20% cheaper than the iPad Air and is also faster. Outside of multitasking I don't know what an Air can do better than the Mini, and even then, if you're multitasking on an iPad Air... lol. For all other uses - media consumption, reading, gaming, note taking, the internet - the mini is just better.

Edit: The iPad Air is "the bad one to purchase" right now. All the other ones have very understandable use cases.

Double Edit: hell yeah iPad bud.

anothergod fucked around with this message at 03:48 on Jan 3, 2022

Skeezy
Jul 3, 2007

The mini rules (both phone and iPad)

inferis
Dec 30, 2003

i got a 12.9” 1 tb pro and a base model mini and i use them both regularly

Bottom Liner
Feb 15, 2006

a specific vein of lasagna

anothergod posted:

For all other uses - media consumption, reading, gaming, note taking, the internet - the mini is just better.

I love the form factor of the mini but all of these are purely up to preference. I certainly prefer video on my pro over my old mini. Reading on the mini is great but I also have a kindle paperwhite that is much better for that in the same size range. The mini is kind of a jack of all trades size for me, it can do everything well, but nothing best.

Dicty Bojangles
Apr 14, 2001

My iPad Mini is my sofa consumption device for reading these dead whatever forums, and for playing music to my Bluetooth speakers. I have it in a bubbly case my two-year-old can’t destroy. It’s also a perfect size screen for FaceTiming grandparents and watching Wibbly Pig.

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

Yeah I have an old mini 2 and it’s the perfect couch device but for more work-type stuff, the bigger screens are nicer.

FCKGW
May 21, 2006

I have a mini as well but paying $500 for a 8” screen is rough.

I guarantee you it’s the slowest selling iPad of the bunch

hatty
Feb 28, 2011

Pork Pro
I wonder if the big iPad sells that much more than the mini. The screen size seems just as niche but it clearly gets more attention than the mini from apple. I’d be really interested in sales numbers separated by model

anothergod
Apr 11, 2016

What kind of work do people do on iPads that isn't doable on iPad minis?

Macichne Leainig
Jul 26, 2012

by VG
At the 13"ish size I'd just as soon consider a laptop in that category, especially considering I personally don't like the Magic Keyboard for lap usage all that much.

That said, Minis are definitely the perfect size, my iPad Air 4 is almost a little too large for me in some cases too. Don't mind the size for reading all that much though.

Khizan
Jul 30, 2013

I find the mini to be a sort of awkward size. It's small enough that it doesn't really have a huge advantage over my phone for many things while also being large enough to be significantly less portable than my phone.

Overall I just don't find myself in many situations where I'm wishing for something larger than my phone but smaller than my Air. Reading is probably the only one, and dedicated e-ink e-readers beat every ipad at that.

anothergod
Apr 11, 2016

Not that this is a good thing, but posting on somethingawful is much easier on an iPad mini than it is on a phone.

sourdough
Apr 30, 2012

anothergod posted:

Not that this is a good thing, but posting on somethingawful is much easier on an iPad mini than it is on a phone.

Have you tried the app?

anothergod
Apr 11, 2016

lol no. Please show me the app.

To note: I have an iPad Mini and a Pixel 4A

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

sourdough posted:

Have you tried the app?

The best way to read SA on iOS

https://apps.apple.com/us/app/awful-sa-forums-browser/id567936609

sourdough
Apr 30, 2012

anothergod posted:

lol no. Please show me the app.

To note: I have an iPad Mini and a Pixel 4A

It's "awful" on iOS and "awful" on android, different devs and apps though. Pretty similar functionality and everything, android one doesn't show gangtags which is a positive but it's a little harder to post new threads from (also a positive). They've both got threads in iyg too.

Vegastar
Jan 2, 2005

Tigers will do anything for a tuna sandwich.

anothergod posted:

Art for one. The 13” is almost even too small for a drawing tablet and I’d probably have to think really hard if they ever released a 15” pro.

Xabi
Jan 21, 2006

Inventor of the Marmite pasty

anothergod posted:

Only masochists (and some artists) use iPads for work IMHO.

(Slightly hyperbolic, but not really.)

Xabi fucked around with this message at 19:24 on Jan 3, 2022

Bottom Liner
Feb 15, 2006

a specific vein of lasagna
Depends on the work really. It’s a great supplemental device for photo editing on the couch or traveling but still missing some key things in photoshop/Lightroom. Same with video work. The specs are better than my desktop but the software isn’t there.

Xabi
Jan 21, 2006

Inventor of the Marmite pasty
I was being unnecessarily grumpy, partly because I have tried to use the iPad as much as possible, but constantly ended up frustrated by something - software, the way “multitasking” works, etc.

In the end I got a MacBook, and I wish I had come to the realisation earlier - preferably before buying a “Pro” iPad, but that’s on me. Unless you only want it for browsing stuff, I think most people are better off with a laptop.

Jose Oquendo
Jun 20, 2004

Star Trek: The Motion Picture is a boring movie

Xabi posted:

I was being unnecessarily grumpy, partly because I have tried to use the iPad as much as possible, but constantly ended up frustrated by something - software, the way “multitasking” works, etc.

In the end I got a MacBook, and I wish I had come to the realisation earlier - preferably before buying a “Pro” iPad, but that’s on me. Unless you only want it for browsing stuff, I think most people are better off with a laptop.

I'm with you on this one.

The iPad really is an amazing device and I would love an Air or a Pro but I know I'd never use it. I have a regular iPad through work that I use for testing stuff. Sometimes I'll set it up for personal use to give it a test drive and I just never use it.

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

I tend to use a microsoft surface for actual work and an ipad for lighter stuff. The software, as mentioned, just isnt there on certain aspects.

Microsoft Surface in the streets, ipad in the sheets

Jose Oquendo
Jun 20, 2004

Star Trek: The Motion Picture is a boring movie

Jim Silly-Balls posted:

I tend to use a microsoft surface for actual work and an ipad for lighter stuff. The software, as mentioned, just isnt there on certain aspects.

Microsoft Surface in the streets, ipad in the sheets

Which Surface do you have? I have a couple different models through work and they're all trash.

GATOS Y VATOS
Aug 22, 2002

The only complaint I have about Awful on iOS is that uploading more than one photo in a post will crash the app completely 90% of the time. If you don't plan on doing that, it's great.

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

Jose Oquendo posted:

Which Surface do you have? I have a couple different models through work and they're all trash.

Uh, I think it’s a 5th gen? i7, 8gb, it’s needs suiting for me

Crime on a Dime
Nov 28, 2006

Jose Oquendo posted:

in what way?

Duckman2008
Jan 6, 2010

TFW you see Flyers goaltending.
Grimey Drawer
If the new mini had Pro Motion refresh rate I probably would had bought it over my Pro.

Macichne Leainig
Jul 26, 2012

by VG
I had a Surface 3 (non-pro) and that was definitely trash, but I mean, Atom processor, cheap eMMC storage, I don't know what I expected.

MrOnBicycle
Jan 18, 2008
Wait wat?
I haven't used my Lenovo laptop since I got my iPad Pro 11". Between the logitech keyboard case, the pencil and magic mouse I don't really have any need. The only thing I don't like is that adblockers on Safari don't seem to work on YouTube etc.

TVs Ian
Jun 1, 2000

Such graceful, delicate creatures.

My personal favorite thing about the Surfaces is that the gen 4 - 6 all have a motherboard issue where disconnecting certain components fries some filters and fuses on the motherboard. A screen is somewhat risky to replace, disconnecting the battery is almost 100% guaranteed to cause issues ranging from the touch not working to the whole device being dead. Microsoft won't even replace the batteries on them, or at least wouldn't the last time I checked.

If you let the battery drain completely, you can usually replace the screen, but there's still a chance something will go wrong. iPads and even any Android tablet I've ever worked on don't have issues like that - turn it off, disconnect or block the battery, and you're fine. The only thing that'll mess up an iPad aside from slipping with the screwdriver is connecting or disconnecting the LCD while it's powered on, and even then if the display was off there's a good chance it'll survive without needing a backlight filter replacement.

tuyop
Sep 15, 2006

Every second that we're not growing BASIL is a second wasted

Fun Shoe

Xabi posted:

Only masochists (and some artists) use iPads for work IMHO.

(Slightly hyperbolic, but not really.)

I know you're joking but I teach using an iPad Air 4 like six hours a day. Zoom call and lesson plans or manuals open split screen frequently. I even sometimes remote into a Windows desktop with Jump and share my screen to give a quick demo. I can draw on student screens and it rules.

This has been really awesome for my health because I have all these stupid back injuries and need to change position frequently.

GoatSeeGuy
Dec 26, 2003

What if Jerome Walton made me a champion?

MrOnBicycle posted:

I haven't used my Lenovo laptop since I got my iPad Pro 11". Between the logitech keyboard case, the pencil and magic mouse I don't really have any need. The only thing I don't like is that adblockers on Safari don't seem to work on YouTube etc.

https://apps.apple.com/us/app/vinegar-tube-cleaner/id1591303229

I deleted the YoutTube App, this makes the browser version so much better.

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

Protocol7 posted:

I had a Surface 3 (non-pro) and that was definitely trash, but I mean, Atom processor, cheap eMMC storage, I don't know what I expected.

Yeah the non-pros are basically beefy android tablets than can run win10

And yeah as mentioned, once a surface breaks, it’s all out the window if you don’t have a warranty left

Question Mark Mound
Jun 14, 2006

Tokyo Crystal Mew
Dancing Godzilla

GoatSeeGuy posted:

https://apps.apple.com/us/app/vinegar-tube-cleaner/id1591303229

I deleted the YoutTube App, this makes the browser version so much better.
If it becomes a standard video player, does that mean you can't cast the video from it to a Chromecast? That's basically the only thing keeping me on the official YouTube app right now.

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

GATOS Y VATOS posted:

The only complaint I have about Awful on iOS is that uploading more than one photo in a post will crash the app completely 90% of the time. If you don't plan on doing that, it's great.

If you use the shortcut and upload them to Imgur it’s not an issue.

I can upload say 10 images and the shortcut spits out 10 urls with the correct bb code.

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

What’s “the shortcut”?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nitrousoxide
May 30, 2011

do not buy a oneplus phone

Jim Silly-Balls posted:

What’s “the shortcut”?

I use this one. They may use a different one

https://www.icloud.com/shortcuts/ef045bc129cb41e5a2c520e141b94911