Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

kingturnip
Apr 18, 2008
Also, playing computer games does not inherently contribute to significant harm to other people.

[fake edit]
Unless you buy from any of the developers or publishers that have more or less institutionalised harrassment, violence or marginalisation of women, ethnic minority, or LGTBQ workers, which is [checks notes]... oh.

[actual edit]
9 is the number of Tory MPs who will back a motion calling on the government to make crypto currencies legal in the UK by the end of, ooh, let's say March.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Azza Bamboo
Apr 7, 2018

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2021
We have the technology to stop buying video games from those producers.

Set up a cancelled list and begin the not-buying.

Renfield
Feb 29, 2008

OwlFancier posted:

you have to keep adding computing power to this because the more transactions the amount of maths goes up exponentially (this is by design)

It's more stupid than that.
The amount of computing power actually needed to run the entire Bitcoin network is less than that of a classic SNES - what happens is different computers race to solve a maths problem, and the first one to get it "finds" the next block, gets rewarded with 25 new bitcoins and gets any transaction fees. If I add more computing power to my mining operation, I'm more likely to get the next block and the rewards.

The thing is, so that the network has to share that new block with the everyone else- so it has an (approximate) time of 10 mins between blocks (for Bitcoin, other 'coins have different times) so that the new block can get round the world and everyone can agree that this is the new end of the chain.
To keep the time the same, the difficulty of the maths problem scales to the amount of computers being thrown at it.

All that power is being burnt to provide a (theoretical) 7 transactions per second worldwide.

Renfield fucked around with this message at 13:23 on Jan 3, 2022

OzyMandrill
Aug 12, 2013

Look upon my words
and despair

OwlFancier posted:

and you have to keep adding computing power to this because the more transactions the amount of maths goes up exponentially (this is by design)
Nah, that would be a vaguely sensible, if terrible reason.
The even more terrible truth is, the number of transactions is limited by the nature of the confirmations and cannot increase no matter how many computers you throw at it, and the actual maths involved in all the crypto transactions globally could be done on a sub £50 phone with CPU to spare. The reason for computing power is because the 'rewards' for 'processing' transactions are a lottery by whoever tries the most solutions to a simple mathematical puzzle. Basically, pick the n-digit number that matches the cryptographic hash of the current transactions, where n is adjusted so it takes on average 15 minutes irrespective of the total computing power available. So you are incentivised to plug in CPUs to get more lottery tickets, while simultaneously negating the actual usefulness of the CPU power you plug in.
It is the almost perfect virtual paperclip-machine, that is already consuming a noticeable portion of the worlds resources.

E: Oh, and people have attempted to change the underlying code to not work this way, but that needs >50% to use the new code, and as any new way would give the current miners less rewards than they have now, they ain't changing nothing. It's almost like a Dr. Who level convoluted method of getting the world to consume itself for revenge against the Slitheen or something.

OzyMandrill fucked around with this message at 13:31 on Jan 3, 2022

Nenonen
Oct 22, 2009

Mulla on aina kolkyt donaa taskussa

Azza Bamboo posted:

We have the technology to stop buying video games from those producers.

Set up a cancelled list and begin the not-buying.

But how do you keep such a list up to date and ensure that it doesn't go offline if a server crashes? Clearly we need a blockchain for it.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

Thank you for reminding me how actually stupid my half-recalled version of "it gets harder the more you do it, intentionally" was.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

Sometimes I wish I could resurrect marx just to show him poo poo like bitcoins and see what it did to his brain.

Lady Demelza
Dec 29, 2009

Lipstick Apathy
It's amazing to think how long Bitcoin has been around. There was a Skeptic's Guide to the Universe feature on it in 2013, and it wasn't brand new then. A decade online feels longer than a decade in the real world.

Barry Foster
Dec 24, 2007

What is going wrong with that one (face is longer than it should be)
Speaking of, it's been more or less exactly ten years I've been posting in these threads

Thanks for helping me see how terrible this country is, comrades, I was a self-satisfied 'why can't everyone just get along' liberal in 2011 and now I'm, well, *gestures downwards*

Anyway, pouring one out for the posters who posted then but don't post now

TACD
Oct 27, 2000

Yea the first darknet Silk Road was around over a decade ago. The primary (and only) actual use case for cryptocurrency is crime, and all the cryptocats and NFTs and hastily cobbled-together whitepapers since then have been true believers desperately trying to conjure up another reason for it to exist.

We’re over a decade in and nobody has found one. Cryptocurrency is for crime, that’s it.

radmonger
Jun 6, 2011

OzyMandrill posted:

. It's almost like a Dr. Who level convoluted method of getting the world to consume itself for revenge against the Slitheen or something.

The Techbross were a 3rd Doctor villain, iirc.

To reverse the polarity, I wonder if you could replace ‘proof of stake’ with ‘proof of tax’? Every time a new block is needed, the system gives it out randomly, with odds proportionate to how much tax they paid in the corresponding 30 seconds.

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal

OwlFancier posted:

Sometimes I wish I could resurrect marx just to show him poo poo like bitcoins and see what it did to his brain.
I think Marx would have an interesting take on it, because the whole thing is an attempt to build a parallel economy without any understanding of why or how parallel economies exist, and lacking the kind of ethnic (mafias and liberation movements) or bourgeois (price cartels and trade guilds) or corralled (prisoners and racialized communities) reasons for such economies you just get

TACD posted:

We’re over a decade in and nobody has found one. Cryptocurrency is for crime, that’s it.

I'd like to see Kropotkin's take too. He was all about communities having machines that would make stuff essentially post-scarcity. Bitcoin consumes enough energy to do that, but in enforcing artificial scarcity because there's no community trust.

Microplastics
Jul 6, 2007

:discourse:
It's what's for dinner.

Barry Foster posted:

I was a self-satisfied 'why can't everyone just get along' liberal in 2011 and now I'm, well, *gestures downwards*

A paid up member of the My Dick party?

smellmycheese
Feb 1, 2016

I’m confused. Why is Twitter so outraged that Stewart Lee has posted a list of people he thinks are a bit poo poo on his website?

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal

smellmycheese posted:

Why is Twitter so outraged
That's the base state.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

Looks like terfs, OP.

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal
If you say that sex is determined entirely by the size and motility of your gametes, these days...

https://twitter.com/AyoCaesar/status/1477996525754146817

keep punching joe
Jan 22, 2006

Die Satan!
Very impressed by Stewart Lee's extensive and detailed list of things/people that he likes/dislikes. Especially the angry discourse that it has triggered from tories and terfs.

He did bizarrely put Lisa Nandy and Stella Creasy in his 'good guys' section however.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

Well he is a liberal.

NotJustANumber99
Feb 15, 2012

somehow that last av was even worse than your posting
I'm too dumb to find his list to see if i agree with it or not.

edit lol i guess i found it. Ask Sarkar

NotJustANumber99 fucked around with this message at 14:59 on Jan 3, 2022

keep punching joe
Jan 22, 2006

Die Satan!

NotJustANumber99 posted:

Its on a Web 1.0 site.

Failed Imagineer
Sep 22, 2018

NotJustANumber99 posted:

Did you check the blockchain

Pablo Bluth
Sep 7, 2007

I've made a huge mistake.
Day ten of my isolation and 11 since the symptoms started. My nose feels the clearest it has so but nice i hope I finally get a clear test this afternoon.

Szmitten
Apr 26, 2008

Pablo Bluth posted:

Day ten of my isolation and 11 since the symptoms started. My nose feels the clearest it has so but nice i hope I finally get a clear test this afternoon.

We're still in a bizarre inverse situation where we're day 8-9+ into symptoms and have yet to get a positive. A cold at this exact moment just seems too stupid to be true.

NotJustANumber99
Feb 15, 2012

somehow that last av was even worse than your posting

Szmitten posted:

too stupid to be true.

please check your timeline

Jaeluni Asjil
Apr 18, 2018

Sorry I thought you were a landlord when I gave you your old avatar!
Lincolnshire:

https://twitter.com/ShaunLintern/status/1477711272384909314?s=20

Failed Imagineer
Sep 22, 2018

Pablo Bluth posted:

Day 9 here, symptoms totally gone, but still pretty positive on test. The missus has no sense of taste left tho which is a bit :smith:

kecske
Feb 28, 2011

it's round, like always

Failed Imagineer posted:

The missus has no sense of taste

well she married you! :imunfunny:

Ornedan
Nov 4, 2009

Cybernetic Crumb

Paperhouse posted:

I wonder if it's just confirmation bias on my part, or if this sentiment is becoming much more common and visible? I feel like in the last few months I've seen more and more people saying this and denouncing crypto. Until fairly recently I had assumed that it must have some actual value/purpose beyond speculation that I was just too dumb to understand

Cryptocoins seem good to libertarian weirdos who are opposed to ever trusting another human on principle, and hate "fiat" currencies. Bitcoin was meant to be a virtual gold standard where the generation of new coins slows and eventually stops, so that there will only ever be at most a fixed amount of currency in circulation. And there would be no bank whose ledger you'd have to trust, but rather a shared ledger's integrity would be enforced by everyone getting into an arms race for more computational power so they could allocate the dribble of new coins to themselves.

I guess the fundamental ideological stupidity of cryptos has nowadays gotten buried under all the layers of scams.

Comrade Fakename
Feb 13, 2012

Here’s Stu’s list for anyone interested:

https://www.stewartlee.co.uk/2022/01/from-the-metro-lib-elite-desk-of-stewart-lee-january-2022/

E:

https://twitter.com/demarionunn/status/1477992228375121922

Jippa
Feb 13, 2009
On The Pedestal

The Christmas Lorry Jam Dover Sikhs
Michael Rosen, Long Covid Chronicler
Kunt & The Gang
Asian Dub Foundation
Kent Rufugee Action Network
The Kent Lorry Park Sinkhole
Mark Kermode
Fire records
Owen Jones
Marcus Rashford
Miriam Margoyles
Barbara Nice
Bob Geldof
Philip Edgar-Jones
Adam Buxton
Ginherbeardmark
Ken Loach
Sadiq Khan
Alexei Sayle
Alice Roberts
Janina Ramirez
Miri Rubin
Nesrine Malik
Ask Sarkar
Jana Prikryl
David Olusoga
Nish Kumar
Count Binface
Rob Auton
Johnny & The Baptists
Save Stonehenge World Heritage Site
Gigbuddies
Sam Coates
Val Doonican
Gareth Southgate
England team
Nate Mercerau
Dawn Foster
RNLI
Jolyon Maugham & Good Law Project
Andrew, Eden & Leila Kotting
Lisa Nandy
GP’s
Hannah Gadsby
National Trust Members
Ben Wilson, chewing gum painter
Angela Rayner
Greta Thunberg
Malala Yousafzai
Simon Kofe, Tuvalu speaker at COP26
Stella Creasy MP
Voters of North Shropshire
Kunt & The Gang again

In The Pedal Bin

Alan Yentob
Donald Trump
Toby Young
Andrew Neil
Robert Jenrick MP
Gavin Williamson MP
Gillian Keegan MP
Allegra Stratton
James Forsyth
Roger Daltrey
Bruce Dickinson
Lawrence Fox
Priti Patel MP
Tom Tugendhat MP
Desmond Swayne MP
Jacob Rees-Mogg MP
Usrula von der Leyen
Laura Kuenssberg
The Daily Telegraph
The Daily Mail
The Daily Express
Boris Johnson PM
Piers Corbyn
Michael Gove/Sarah Vine MP/WAG
All my yellow Fred Perry shirts
Dominic Raab MP
Ricky Gervais
Mumford & Sons and all their wives and dads
Piers Morgan
Stig Abell
Graham Linehan
The Daily Telegraph again
The Museum of Brexit
Clapham Common Police
Julie Burchill
Nimco Ali
Carrie Symonds
The Aspinall Foundation
Samuel Kasamu
Ben Elliot
Dr Tony Sewell CBE
Keith Fraser, Chair of the Youth Justice Board for England and Wales
Lord Ajay Kakkar, Professor of Surgery at University College London
Dr Dambisa Moyo, internationally renowned economist and author
Martyn Oliver, Chief Executive Officer of Outwood Grange Academies Trust
Naureen Khalid, experienced school governor
Aftab Chughtai MBE, Businessman
Mercy Muroki, Senior Policy Researcher, Commentator, and Columnist
Charlotte Nichols MP
Martha Gill
Vladimir Putin
David Cameron
Rishi Sunak MP
Scrabble
Nadim Zahawi MP
Oliver Dowden MP
Richard Tice
Chris Mason, BBC
Michelle Donelan, MP
Keenan Malik
Matthew Offord MP
All GBNEWS presenters, guests, backers, advertisers and viewers
Andrew Lloyd Webber
Grant Shapps MP
Winston Marshall of Mumford and Sons specifically
Winston Marshall’s Brexit dad specifically
Matt Handcock MP
Roy Wood
Andrew Bridgen MP
Dougie Smith
Darrell Maclaine
Giles Coren
Steve Baker MP
Lord Bethell from The Ministry of Sound
Alok Sharma MP
Desmond Swayne MP
Joe Biden
The Taliban
John Cleese
Jimmy Fallon
Nadine Dorries MP
Nica Burns
Spitting Image
Dave Chapelle
Netflix
Ted Sarandos
Restore Trust
The Common Sense Group
Stephen Green
Simon Jenkin
Baron Frost
Fishermen
Poland
Owen Paterson
Kwasi Kwarteng
Jeff Bezos
Christian with megaphone & siren, Camden
James Goldsmith
250 Tory MPs that voted to save Owen Paterson
Geoffrey Cox MP
Van Morrison
Eric Clapton
Jaz Coleman
Private Box owners at Royal Albert Hall
Shaun Bailey
Simon Case
Maureen Lipman

Lady Demelza
Dec 29, 2009

Lipstick Apathy
I'm beyond two weeks of a cold that I can't shake. Every Covid test I've done is negative. There's so much congestion in my chest and nose that I have to rest after climbing the stairs and time eating/drinking with the need to breathe through my mouth. The only thing that can rouse me from the 10 hours sleep I need each night is periodically waking up boiling hot and sweating buckets.

Back at work tomorrow, coming to a customer service desk near you!

Miftan
Mar 31, 2012

Terry knows what he can do with his bloody chocolate orange...

Failed Imagineer posted:

Day 9 here, symptoms totally gone, but still pretty positive on test. The missus has no sense of taste left tho which is a bit :smith:

Mine took an extra week to come back after all the other symptoms were gone, so hopefully it'll be short for your partner as well instead of super long covid

jiggerypokery
Feb 1, 2012

...But I could hardly wait six months with a red hot jape like that under me belt.

Ornedan posted:

Cryptocoins seem good to libertarian weirdos who are opposed to ever trusting another human on principle, and hate "fiat" currencies. Bitcoin was meant to be a virtual gold standard where the generation of new coins slows and eventually stops, so that there will only ever be at most a fixed amount of currency in circulation. And there would be no bank whose ledger you'd have to trust, but rather a shared ledger's integrity would be enforced by everyone getting into an arms race for more computational power so they could allocate the dribble of new coins to themselves.

I guess the fundamental ideological stupidity of cryptos has nowadays gotten buried under all the layers of scams.

The best lies are 95% true. Scams are lies made professional

goddamnedtwisto
Dec 31, 2004

If you ask me about the mole people in the London Underground, I WILL be forced to kill you
Fun Shoe

Lady Demelza posted:

I'm beyond two weeks of a cold that I can't shake. Every Covid test I've done is negative. There's so much congestion in my chest and nose that I have to rest after climbing the stairs and time eating/drinking with the need to breathe through my mouth. The only thing that can rouse me from the 10 hours sleep I need each night is periodically waking up boiling hot and sweating buckets.

Back at work tomorrow, coming to a customer service desk near you!

Have you done a PCR test?

Endjinneer
Aug 17, 2005
Fallen Rib
Whatever the power consumption of videogames is, can we talk about it using intellectually consistent units? The kilowatt-hour is the unwanted bastard spawn of a polluted union between the two great houses of measurement.
Either use the joule (with appropriate prefixes such as kilo, mega, giga and tera) or the horse-second (with appropriate prefixes such as pair, unicorn, apocalypse, pickaxe).

Pablo Bluth
Sep 7, 2007

I've made a huge mistake.

Failed Imagineer posted:

So I got another positive but much fainter than previous. Hopeful tomorrow is the day...

smellmycheese
Feb 1, 2016

The name of that anonymous person? Albert Bullshit

https://twitter.com/DesmondSwayne/status/1477964695759949824

sinky
Feb 22, 2011

Slippery Tilde

Endjinneer posted:

Either use the joule (with appropriate prefixes such as kilo, mega, giga and tera) or the horse-second (with appropriate prefixes such as pair, unicorn, apocalypse, pickaxe).

BTU :colbert:
But renamed to Brexit Thermal Unit :britain:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Question IRL
Jun 8, 2013

Only two contestants left! Here is Doom's chance for revenge...

Paperhouse posted:

I wonder if it's just confirmation bias on my part, or if this sentiment is becoming much more common and visible? I feel like in the last few months I've seen more and more people saying this and denouncing crypto. Until fairly recently I had assumed that it must have some actual value/purpose beyond speculation that I was just too dumb to understand

So I had a think about Cryptos and in particular NFT's and then I saw this tweet on fellow Goon, Slowbeefs twitter timeline which crystallised something I had been thinking.

https://twitter.com/slowbeef/status/1477812303726850048?t=7fI4G_TqgIHf4UC6j_W0kw&s=19

(Background for those who care, Slowbeef was arguing with some techbro about NFTs. Said techbro cited his CV in a multibillion dollar company that only failed because they got to the market before Cryptos were established. Slowbeef points out the company was Theranos.)

But it made me think back to reading Bad Blood (an excellent book on Elizabeth Holmes and Theranos.)

And the maddest part about it was Holmes clearly believed her product would work. She knew it didn't, but her end goal switched from "make it actually do something" to
"Get us established as a name for long enough that no one will ever question if we work or not. Then maybe make it actually work."

And that is what Crypto has done and what NFT wants to do. Move the discussion away from "Wait, why do I use this, it's awful?" To "look we almost have the energy problem cracked."