Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

checkplease
Aug 17, 2006

Smellrose

SuperMechagodzilla posted:

What nobody seems to have noted is that the ‘resurrection’ thing is an extension of Cloud Atlas. The film presents a fairly straightforward depiction of Otherkin religious belief.

Neo and Trinity, on this film, are fictionkin. They are literally the reincarnation of videogame characters from the literal alternate universe where fiction is real.

Interesting read. Morpheus of course is literally pulled out of the fictional game also. Actually from a sub matrix in the matrix game. And of course bugs just quoting bugs bunny. But in their reborn forms, the new neo seems weaker than his legend with trinity becoming stronger. Maybe she got stronger dlc in the game.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Qualia
Dec 14, 2006

Shiroc posted:

[...] Sincere personal experiences as a trans woman would be completely illegible to the audience unless they fit into the expected tropes. Ending up with an epilogue love story to give Neo and Trinity a happier ending gets called fascist because it doesn't provide an acceptable resolution to mechanocapitalism.
the first sentence is a bougie presumption, and the second sentence suggests that (love) stories with (happy) endings are incapable of being fascist (as long as they are sincere and/or directed by a [trans] woman?).

Qualia fucked around with this message at 08:44 on Jan 3, 2022

Haptical Sales Slut
Mar 15, 2010

Age 18 to 49
https://screenrant.com/matrix-4-resurrections-cast-story-confused-response/

quote:

While speaking with EW's Around the Table, the new Matrix cast members admitted that they had trouble understanding their characters during off-set conversations with Lana Wachowski.

Priyanka Chopra Jonas told a story about asking Lana to describe her character Sati before a BTS interview and coming out "so much more confused than when I walked in."

Abdul-Mateen II expressed a similar sentiment, saying that sometimes after asking a question he'd say "Golly, I wish I didn't go ask because now I'm more confused than before I went in." Jessica Henwick, who plays Bugs, quickly realized that “Every time I ask she's going to talk about life instead,” and that Wachowski didn't want the actors prepping their characters at home, but rather finding them while filming on set.

Turns out writing a script based on a stress dream doesn’t result in your best work. This, combined with telling actors to just improvise the action sequences, clearly shows Lana simply cared more about her personal vendetta against wb or is incompetent.

teagone
Jun 10, 2003

That was pretty intense, huh?

Nuts and Gum posted:

Turns out writing a script based on a stress dream doesn’t result in your best work. This, combined with telling actors to just improvise the action sequences, clearly shows Lana simply cared more about her personal vendetta against wb or is incompetent.

Clearly!

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

Nuts and Gum posted:

https://screenrant.com/matrix-4-resurrections-cast-story-confused-response/

You say this like it didn’t work and wasn’t good, when it clearly was?

poonchasta
Feb 22, 2007

FFFFAAAFFFFF FFFFFAAAAAAAFFFFF FFFFFFFFAAAAAAFFFFF FFFFFFFAAAAAAAFFFFFF FFFFFFFAAAAAAAFFFFF

ImpAtom posted:

I also admit that any time I think of the last movie I think about the Pointless Waste of Time joke about how the mecha suits make sure to leave humanity's most power weapon available: their fierce biting teeth.

Whoa I was just thinking about this a few days ago.

BOAT SHOWBOAT
Oct 11, 2007

who do you carry the torch for, my young man?
Well say what you will about the process and the movie but all the performances were good so on that front it kinda did work?

moths
Aug 25, 2004

I would also still appreciate some danger.

Imagine having a hundred million dollars, great cast, guaranteed audience, and going back to the franchise that made your career.

Having no clear vision and telling the cast to wing it seems like the right move, ya?

I'm wondering if Lilly is just the more professional filmmaker. Does anyone think this film benefited from her not being around to focus Lana's woo energy?

ram dass in hell
Dec 29, 2019

:420::toot::420:
Yes, because the movie was better than Revolutions

SuperMechagodzilla
Jun 9, 2007

NEWT REBORN

checkplease posted:

Interesting read. Morpheus of course is literally pulled out of the fictional game also. Actually from a sub matrix in the matrix game. And of course bugs just quoting bugs bunny.

Also the random scene with the vampires and werewolves.

“The therian and vampire subcultures are related to the otherkin community, and are considered part of it by most otherkin, but are culturally and historically distinct movements of their own, despite some overlap in membership.”

Megaman's Jockstrap
Jul 16, 2000

What a horrible thread to have a post.
What a bummer that a month ago I was thinking "A new Matrix!" and now I'm thinking "At least the bohemians had fun on the Man's dime for a year."

Archer666
Dec 27, 2008
But would it have been a better movie if Lana wasn't involved at all?

Neo Rasa
Mar 8, 2007
Everyone should play DUKE games.

:dukedog:

Archer666 posted:

Don't worry about the vase.

unlimited shrimp
Aug 30, 2008

Archer666 posted:

Maybe. Probably not. Maybe it'll be like the Prequels and WB will release a really boring soft-reboot in a few years and a proliferation of "At least Lana was an auteur and not a paint-by-numbers hack," will rehabilitate it, although this movie is pretty forgettable and not Lucas's grandiose mess. I'm also infected with a "It should have been a miniseries!" mind virus ever since the Sopranos prequel.

Hopefully we get more stories in the Matrix universe, though.

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames

Archer666 posted:

a better movie, yes. a better Matrix movie? ehhhhhhh probably not really.

moths
Aug 25, 2004

I would also still appreciate some danger.

ram dass in hell posted:

Yes, because the movie was better than Revolutions

Ouch. That's true, I didn't realise they'd worked together there. What the hell happened between the original and Revolutions? Was there just more studio oversight?

Archer666 posted:

I think, probably yes. There's an inexhaustible supply up-and-coming hungry filmmakers.

Applying the film's theme of choosing between "miserable safety" vs "aspirational unknown" would suggest WB was playing it safe with the franchise and Lana vs transcending into anything great.

I wonder if she was aware of the thematic disconnect; Lana is trying to fit a message that boring and safe is bad into a boring film that she was the safe choice to direct. Ressurections takes no real chances, delivers a whole lot of Matrix, and feels like a film full of contempt for itself.

There's so much passive aggressive weirdness and jabs at WB in the script that you have to wonder if she sandbagged the film, intentional or not.

It's like she was punishing WB for sticking with her instead of bringing on someone determined to make IV the best loving Matrix movie.

Megaman's Jockstrap
Jul 16, 2000

What a horrible thread to have a post.

Archer666 posted:

There's a huge amount of space between "not involved at all" and "recreates the fuckin' Moulin Rouge out of WB's money while New Age-mumbling through a low-effort directing gig".

SuperMechagodzilla
Jun 9, 2007

NEWT REBORN
They did a Matrix 4 without Lana Wachowski and called it Free Guy, so it was more of a lateral move.

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

Also the random scene with the vampires and werewolves.

“The therian and vampire subcultures are related to the otherkin community, and are considered part of it by most otherkin, but are culturally and historically distinct movements of their own, despite some overlap in membership.”

Well that was an unfortunate google search

Codependent Poster
Oct 20, 2003

Archer666 posted:

Maybe.

I mean, there are filmmakers out there who probably genuinely love the Matrix and have ideas that they've dreamed up for what they would do with the film. Maybe they're bad ideas, maybe they're good ones. But we'll never know.

checkplease
Aug 17, 2006

Smellrose
I’m on the side of loving this film , so I am glad Lana was at the helm. It feels very much like wachowski films while trying some new things, which is what I wanted.

I wonder about more matrix stuff. Obviously getting a video game, but it doesn’t seem like Lana would make another matrix. I guess animatrix 2. And wouldn’t be surprised for some matrix tv show.
Hopefully more speed racer from Lana though…

VROOM VROOM
Jun 8, 2005
The Animatrix 2, but it's all live action

sigher
Apr 22, 2008

My guiding Moonlight...

RBA Starblade posted:

I bet the whole pill thing sucks if you're colorblind

I don't believe you can be red-blue colorblind.

I just realized that this movie is just Last Action Hero but made from fecal matter. Starting off as a meta comedy that turns into an action film, but instead of embracing the farce it tries to make a hard turn and be a serious action film. Last Action Hero owns so much, time to watch it again.

Martman
Nov 20, 2006

The Animatrix 2 will actually be about furries, it's the Animal Matrix

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

sigher posted:

I just realized that this movie is just Last Action Hero but made from fecal matter. Starting off as a meta comedy that turns into an action film, but instead of embracing the farce it tries to make a hard turn and be a serious action film. Last Action Hero owns so much, time to watch it again.

That opinion is half good and half fecal matter

Neo Rasa
Mar 8, 2007
Everyone should play DUKE games.

:dukedog:

sigher posted:

You plugged the love of my life into another Matrix, biiiiig mistake.

CelticPredator posted:

That opinion is half good and half fecal matter

Nitpicks aside I really did love this flick and am happy it got made.

sigher
Apr 22, 2008

My guiding Moonlight...

Neo Rasa posted:

You plugged the love of my life into another Matrix, biiiiig mistake.

They should have dredged up McTiernan from whatever hovel he's living in for The Matrix 4. He could have done this right.

checkplease
Aug 17, 2006

Smellrose
Lana already did it correctly.

I dunno about bringing up Last action hero though. I havent seen it in years, but theres a lot of Arnold films I would want to watch before that.

sigher
Apr 22, 2008

My guiding Moonlight...

It's great, it's a giant piss take. The best part of it is Angry Again was written for the film (and barely used, lol) but it has one of Marty Freidman's best solos during his time with Megadeth so I thank it for that.

King Vidiot
Feb 17, 2007

You think you can take me at Satan's Hollow? Go 'head on!
I'd like to see a Matrix VR game if nothing else. The closest we have now are Superhot and Pistol Whip, maybe moments in Blade & Sorcery when you slow down time and grab dude's swords and hit them in the face with their own swords.

And the only good Matrix game to date has been Max Payne with the Matrix mods.

SuperMechagodzilla
Jun 9, 2007

NEWT REBORN
There are really two different types of “actually-good Matrix 4”.

On the one hand, you have movies that actually continue with the themes and aesthetics of the trilogy. Zack Snyder’s Man Of Steel is probably the clearest example.

On the other hand, you have movies that better accomplish what Wachowski seems to have been going for, like Sidney Lumet’s shockingly-unhip 1978 black liberation musical The Wiz.

unlimited shrimp
Aug 30, 2008
Morpheus: Howdy, stranger! This is Morpheus. If things have gone wrong, I'm talking to myself and you aren't trapped in a modal anymore. Now, whatever your name is, get ready for the big surprise. You are not you, you're me.
Agent Smith: [to himself]  No poo poo.

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

King Vidiot posted:

I'd like to see a Matrix VR game if nothing else. The closest we have now are Superhot and Pistol Whip, maybe moments in Blade & Sorcery when you slow down time and grab dude's swords and hit them in the face with their own swords.

And the only good Matrix game to date has been Max Payne with the Matrix mods.

Saints Row 4 was one giant Matrix reference, though FEAR's the one with the bullet time mechanics and debris flying off the walls.

mobby_6kl
Aug 9, 2009

by Fluffdaddy
So is this worth watching at all? It's obviously not great but then neither was Reloaded and I enjoyed it enough for the dumb fights and chase to make it not a complete waste of time.

Neurolimal
Nov 3, 2012

mobby_6kl posted:

So is this worth watching at all? It's obviously not great but then neither was Reloaded and I enjoyed it enough for the dumb fights and chase to make it not a complete waste of time.

It's an experience, there's things to like about it, and things that will make you cringe, and plenty to argue about if you're into that. It's less of a waste of time than a lot of forgettable 2021 films.

checkplease
Aug 17, 2006

Smellrose
Why say its obviously not great if you haven't watched it.

AndyElusive
Jan 7, 2007

I was disappointed with The M4TRIX because no one shouted "KNUCKLE UP" once during the entire movie.

checkplease
Aug 17, 2006

Smellrose

unlimited shrimp posted:

Morpheus: Howdy, stranger! This is Morpheus. If things have gone wrong, I'm talking to myself and you aren't trapped in a modal anymore. Now, whatever your name is, get ready for the big surprise. You are not you, you're me.
Agent Smith: [to himself]  No poo poo.

Ha. Yeah I can see the total recall influence. I guess the matrix always takes one side where as recall always tried to leave the true world more ambivalent.

checkplease
Aug 17, 2006

Smellrose

There are really two different types of “actually-good Matrix 4”.

On the one hand, you have movies that actually continue with the themes and aesthetics of the trilogy. Zack Snyder’s Man Of Steel is probably the clearest example.

On the other hand, you have movies that better accomplish what Wachowski seems to have been going for, like Sidney Lumet’s shockingly-unhip 1978 black liberation musical The Wiz.

I haven't watched the Wiz, but whats the Man of Steel connection?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

unlimited shrimp
Aug 30, 2008

mobby_6kl posted:

Love it or forget it, I don't think you'll hate it or regret watching it.