Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

kpenguin
Sep 3, 2011

King Penguin

Koskinator posted:

... the BGG solo guild recently wrapped up their annual Top 200 Solo Games poll. ...
This is awesome. Lately I have been looking for more games that have a solo mode, just so I can understand the game before trying to teach others it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

the holy poopacy
May 16, 2009

hey! check this out
Fun Shoe
Handelabra's SI adaptation drives me nuts because for reasons unknown they decided to use click & drag to play cards and then have you click through a bunch of prompts to move pieces around on the board and it's the most bizarre UI decision I've seen in years.

Fenn the Fool!
Oct 24, 2006
woohoo
Any thoughts on preferred sleeve brands?

Poking around reddit, I see Sleeve Kings and Dragon Shields recommended the most. The former is a lot cheaper, though I'm not sure how big a difference nicer sleeves would make for shuffling. It also appears Dragon Shield doesn't make sleeves for "American" sized cards. I'd like to go for clear sleeves, I like being able to see the card backs, not sure if that makes a difference though.

I have some credit with Noble Knight Games and they don't have a ton of board games in stock, but I can use the excuse to finally start sleeving things. I'd sold a bunch of used games to them, didn't exactly get a fortune, but I'm glad to have the shelf space freed up if nothing else.

iceyman
Jul 11, 2001

I did like FFG card sleeves but can't find them a while back. What is the story there?

armorer
Aug 6, 2012

I like metal.
Almost all of my board games are sleeved with Mayday Premium sleeves. I use Dragon Shield on card games like MTG though.

Mayveena
Dec 27, 2006

People keep vandalizing my ID photo; I've lodged a complaint with HR
Mayday is owned by Mormons so no Mayday for me. Plus they've made some extremely stupid decisions in the past. A friend and I use Paladin sleeves at paladinsleeves.com, owned by Board & Dice., we really like them. They were on sale a few days ago, might want to check there.

armorer
Aug 6, 2012

I like metal.

Mayveena posted:

Mayday is owned by Mormons so no Mayday for me. Plus they've made some extremely stupid decisions in the past. A friend and I use Paladin sleeves at paladinsleeves.com, owned by Board & Dice., we really like them. They were on sale a few days ago, might want to check there.

Oh, I had no idea there was an issue with Mayday!

Azran
Sep 3, 2012

And what should one do to be remembered?
I really like BCW and Tin Men but they've become either very rare or too expensive in my country in the last few years so I used to make do with Mayday. Thankfully there are now two local brands that are pretty good in terms of price and quality so unless I need to sleeve an ungodly amount of stuff I just stick to those.

Gumdrop Larry
Jul 30, 2006

iceyman posted:

I did like FFG card sleeves but can't find them a while back. What is the story there?

They discontinued their sleeves a little while back, I'm assuming due to Asmodee's whole routine of cutting everything to the bone, and established ties with Gamegenic. They switched to endorsing them on all their products where it recommends sleeve sizes since Gamegenic is using the same color coding scheme for the different sizes. I've gotten a few packs of Gamegenic mini American sleeves since then and they seem pretty comparable to the original FFG ones.

bad sugarpop habit
Apr 15, 2021

Trip report from like half of a 2p game of Ankh - it’s really neat and I like all the moving parts in the rules interactions, by the second turn we were already planning actions a few turns ahead to make sure our opponent was forced to pick suboptimal actions or advance the Event track without much benefit to them. The battle card system works well enough and I love the way the math works out on how hard you can push before you recycle your hand (at least in our quick attempt so far.). I also really appreciate that much like Bloodborne, setup and teardown is far, far easier than you’d expect for a giant game with a hundred minis.

El Fideo
Jun 10, 2016

I trusted a rhino and deserve all that came to me

armorer posted:

Oh, I had no idea there was an issue with Mayday!

There's also their plagiarism issue. They lost the license for Click Clack Lumberjack, so they rushed their own version to market.

Magnetic North
Dec 15, 2008

Beware the Forest's Mushrooms

El Fideo posted:

There's also their plagiarism issue. They lost the license for Click Clack Lumberjack, so they rushed their own version to market.

Right, I remember that. I'm quoting this to remind myself to add that when I talk about board game thievery with Sirlin and Bezier.

I've been trying to research Asmodee controversies this weekend but that's a tall order.

Acolyte!
Aug 6, 2001

Go! Rocket Kiwi! Go!

Fenn the Fool! posted:

Poking around reddit, I see Sleeve Kings and Dragon Shields recommended the most. The former is a lot cheaper, though I'm not sure how big a difference nicer sleeves would make for shuffling. It also appears Dragon Shield doesn't make sleeves for "American" sized cards. I'd like to go for clear sleeves, I like being able to see the card backs, not sure if that makes a difference though.

Arcane Tinmen make Dragon Shields, and they have a separate line called "Board Game Sleeves" under their own name for board games with all the appropriate sizes. They're pretty good and not that expensive. Noble Knight stocks them.

Lunsku
May 21, 2006

Seconding Arcane Tinmen sleeves, if they're available to you, been using them for my board- and cardgames when appropriate.

PRADA SLUT
Mar 14, 2006

Inexperienced,
heartless,
but even so
I use KMC Perfect fits for normal sleeves since they don’t add bulk and cards fit in boxes better.

Fenn the Fool!
Oct 24, 2006
woohoo
I think I want to get matte sleeves, I like the idea of sleeves that aren't slippery and handle/shuffle nicely. Sounds like Arcane Tinmen's non-glare board game sleeves would be the way to go.

Doctor Spaceman
Jul 6, 2010

"Everyone's entitled to their point of view, but that's seriously a weird one."

Fenn the Fool! posted:

I have some credit with Noble Knight Games and they don't have a ton of board games in stock, but I can use the excuse to finally start sleeving things. I'd sold a bunch of used games to them, didn't exactly get a fortune, but I'm glad to have the shelf space freed up if nothing else.

I used to use FFG and when they discontinued their line I switched to Sleeve Kings. They aren't quite as nice but being thinner makes them more practical for things like Dominion (where thicker sleeves blow out your storage space and costs) or anything where you might have a fat deck of cards.

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Proudly supporting vanilla legends 1994-2014

Fenn the Fool! posted:

Dragon Shields do most of their business for Magic cards.

You won't be able to find Swan Panasia sleeves, which is a shame because they're very good and come in almost any size you could imagine plus a few you can't. Failing that, apart from brands that have already been named my recommendation would be Giochi's sleeves. They do most of the standard sizes in both 70 and 120 micron, and they're very good quality. The 120s are pretty thick for a flexible sleeve, but are insanely durable and have a good feel. Giochi do a kickstarter for orders once a year where you pledge for a fixed weight of sleeves and can select your sizes freely. I picked up a 4.5kg pack for €120 a couple of years ago and got over 3000 sleeves for my trouble, but they do smaller sizes down to 1kg. Or you can order the 9.5kg pack for €190 early bird and never buy a sleeve again.

Kerro
Nov 3, 2002

Did you marry a man who married the sea? He looks right through you to the distant grey - calling, calling..
Docsmagic.de do the best sleeves for the price that I've come across, even factoring in international shipping to NZ. I tend to buy in bulk from time to time from there, and the sleeves have been consistently good quality and fit.

tomdidiot
Apr 23, 2014

Stupid Grognard
Sleevewise
- Arcane Tinmen make Dragon Shield, which is oriented towards Magic and other CCGS, but also have a range of board game sleeves (Sold as Arcane Tinmen). Their stuff is generally of a very good quality, probably the best in the business. The would be my goto recommendation for anyone looking for card sleeves.
- The FFG sleeves I had in my collection were all very quickly replaced by Arcane Tinman sleeves when I bought my first Arcane Tinman Pack.
- Gamegenic is owned by Asmodee as well, which may be part of the reason why FFG sleeves were discontinued. Their sleeves are good, better than FFG stuff. Their deckboxes are where they truly shine though.

Viper915
Sep 18, 2005
Pokey Little Puppy

tomdidiot posted:

Sleevewise
- Arcane Tinmen make Dragon Shield, which is oriented towards Magic and other CCGS, but also have a range of board game sleeves (Sold as Arcane Tinmen). Their stuff is generally of a very good quality, probably the best in the business. The would be my goto recommendation for anyone looking for card sleeves.
- The FFG sleeves I had in my collection were all very quickly replaced by Arcane Tinman sleeves when I bought my first Arcane Tinman Pack.
- Gamegenic is owned by Asmodee as well, which may be part of the reason why FFG sleeves were discontinued. Their sleeves are good, better than FFG stuff. Their deckboxes are where they truly shine though.

Speaking of deckboxes, does anyone make slim deckboxes that would hold a smaller deck and still fit in a board game box? I'm specifically thinking of Concordia, where I got a new map for Christmas, and to fit it all in the box I will need to ditch the insert, but that leaves the cards loose. I mean I guess I could make a DIY tuckbox, but it got me thinking that I have plenty of other games that would benefit from like a 30 or 40 card capacity deckbox that could fit in with all the other components, or that would be perfect for some travel games without a full size 100 card ultrapro taking up a ton of space.

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Proudly supporting vanilla legends 1994-2014

Viper915 posted:

Speaking of deckboxes, does anyone make slim deckboxes that would hold a smaller deck and still fit in a board game box? I'm specifically thinking of Concordia, where I got a new map for Christmas, and to fit it all in the box I will need to ditch the insert, but that leaves the cards loose. I mean I guess I could make a DIY tuckbox, but it got me thinking that I have plenty of other games that would benefit from like a 30 or 40 card capacity deckbox that could fit in with all the other components, or that would be perfect for some travel games without a full size 100 card ultrapro taking up a ton of space.

Is this an extra extra map? I have an extra map in Concordia Venus and it fits fine with the insert.

Either way, my Concordia cards are in ziplocks within the box. With the right size of bag the cards can't slip around inside it, and the fit for everything is fairly tight anyway.

Viper915
Sep 18, 2005
Pokey Little Puppy

Jedit posted:

Is this an extra extra map? I have an extra map in Concordia Venus and it fits fine with the insert.

Either way, my Concordia cards are in ziplocks within the box. With the right size of bag the cards can't slip around inside it, and the fit for everything is fairly tight anyway.

Heh, it is an extra extra map, yes. The first extra map fit in Venus perfectly with everything. I have individual player decks in ziplocks with the pieces, I guess I could just buy smaller bags that are more poker card sized, that's a good point. I'd still love a mini deck box for smaller games though, it would make it a lot easier to toss them in a pocket and bring somewhere.

Viper915 fucked around with this message at 12:59 on Jan 3, 2022

armorer
Aug 6, 2012

I like metal.

Viper915 posted:

The burger token tuckboxes are a nice option if the cards are the right size and count. Otherwise a custom tuckbox is your slimmest option.

https://burgertokens.com/products/perfect-fit-deckboxes?variant=21689594544217

nomadotto
Oct 25, 2010

Body of a Penguin
Soul of a Hero
Mind of a Lazy, Easily Distracted, Waste of Space

Leperflesh posted:

This is a good suggestion, maybe you can give it a go for a few, if several people write like 5 each, they'd all be written up pretty quickly.
Here's a few a know and love. Might be too wordy

Pax Pamir, 2nd Edition : Afgan warlords play off the UK and Imperial Russia against each other during the Great Game with extremely beautiful components. (Is not a Phil Eklund game, despite having Pax in the name)

Skull : All the bluffing and high stakes of movies about Poker, without the reality of grinding through endless small EV hands.

Sidereal Confluence: Trading and Negotiation in the Elysian Quadrant : Globalization and trading, but in space with cool aliens (hope you like turning cubes into other cubes)

Frozen Peach
Aug 25, 2004

garbage man from a garbage can
If anyone wants a good laugh from a normie hating on board games, here you go!

https://www.abc.net.au/everyday/unpopular-opinion-why-do-people-like-board-game-nights/100671948

Back Alley Borks
Oct 22, 2017

Awoo.

What boardgame did they play that created so much loathing?

Deceptive Thinker
Oct 5, 2005

I'll rip out your optics!

Back Alley Borks posted:

quote:

Say once a year you'll find me partaking in a nice vanilla game of Monopoly.

gschmidl
Sep 3, 2011

watch with knife hands

Back Alley Borks posted:

Settlers, obviously.

Fate Accomplice
Nov 30, 2006

but only if they're the banker (so they can cheat)

Frozen Peach
Aug 25, 2004

garbage man from a garbage can

Fate Accomplice posted:

but only if they're the banker (so they can cheat)

I read that as Monopoly is the one acceptable game to continue to play. (because they can cheat)

Back Alley Borks
Oct 22, 2017

Awoo.

Saying Monopoly is vanilla makes me think it was another game.

It also makes me want to compare other boardgames to ice cream flavors.

Wingspan - Sea Salt Caramel: It's really good the first few times, but after that it might leave you feeling kinda salty.
Too Many Bones - Rocky Road: You gotta like both chocolate rules complexity and nuts randomness. There's marshmallows fancy components to keep you going.
Legacy games - Chocolate Chip Cookie Dough: The base ice cream varies in quality, but those sweet nuggets of cookie dough legacy content keep people going.

mellonbread
Dec 20, 2017
Having a blast with Dune Fridays on treachery.online. I've never been a huge board game guy but it's really sucked me in. The site is a lot easier to use than TTS, it doesn't require anyone to download software and has a much better undo function (since it's just cycling back through recorded board states rather than rolling back an entire physics simulation). Some of the UI elements take getting used to (the deals menu in particular) but it's got good context sensitive popups and mouse-over text to explain what everything does. You can choose a rules preset like basic/advanced or individually pick which rules to use (I like advanced combat but I know a lot of people prefer to disable it). You can also pick and choose common houserules like the shield wall stronghold after the fourth worm. It's not quite as fine grained as I'd like, there's an option to use the expansion cards but not to pick/ban specific ones (I love artillery strike and poison tooth, but not poison blade and shield snooper).

Overall I highly recommend the site for people who picked up the GF9 re-release, but could never get six people together at a real table.

Image tax

mellonbread fucked around with this message at 19:35 on Jan 3, 2022

golden bubble
Jun 3, 2011

yospos

rchandra posted:

The removals are incredibly noticeable - I'd say even if you'd played once, but certainly twice. I probably have <20 plays of Caylus and 1303 was never going to get a 2nd. A bit sad, as I did like the more-variable setup but that wasn't compensation for ruining everything to do with the castle.

Still, you are of course right that OP is stuck recommending the one in print.

The main thing you lose with the castle is the consistency of the gain coin reward (only sometimes appears in 1303 instead of always being there), the ability to choose to get build actions via the castle track instead of from actual building actions. With the reduced number of turns, you don't need to have the different VPs per castle build based on the phase, and the split between immediate rewards and longer term boosts is still there since the extra powers are pretty strong. And ignoring the castle is still just as much of a bad idea in 1303 as it is in Caylus. There aren't enough VP generators to win if you ignore the castle and someone else doesn't, especially if the +VP for using gold on the castle power is in play. I'd say the change to the turn order track is more annoying between 1303 and Caylus.

CitizenKeen
Nov 13, 2003

easygoing pedant
My (5 year old) son is really into dragons. He saw the word dragon on Dragon Castle, but I'm wondering if I should just buy mahjong instead.

Magnetic North
Dec 15, 2008

Beware the Forest's Mushrooms

nomadotto posted:

Here's a few a know and love. Might be too wordy

Pax Pamir, 2nd Edition : Afgan warlords play off the UK and Imperial Russia against each other during the Great Game with extremely beautiful components. (Is not a Phil Eklund game, despite having Pax in the name)

Skull : All the bluffing and high stakes of movies about Poker, without the reality of grinding through endless small EV hands.

Sidereal Confluence: Trading and Negotiation in the Elysian Quadrant : Globalization and trading, but in space with cool aliens (hope you like turning cubes into other cubes)
These are pretty good. Perhaps a bit long, as you said.

Be aware: at this juncture, I have no intention to add any additional descriptions such as these to the OPs, since there are so many other things in these OPs that could use additional attention. (I am still finding typos :sweatdrop:) I wanted to say that publicly in case others decide to try their hand at such wordsmithing, as I don't want them to feel inadequately appreciated. I hope you don't feel like you wasted your time.

Kerro
Nov 3, 2002

Did you marry a man who married the sea? He looks right through you to the distant grey - calling, calling..

CitizenKeen posted:

My (5 year old) son is really into dragons. He saw the word dragon on Dragon Castle, but I'm wondering if I should just buy mahjong instead.

We got my four-nearly-five year old Catacombs of Karak for Christmas which has a dragon as the final objective, and she's been absolutely loving it so that might be worth looking at as well.

Terminally Bored
Oct 31, 2011

Twenty-five dollars and a six pack to my name
Seconding Karak as a fantastic kid game. My 5yo loves it.

nomadotto
Oct 25, 2010

Body of a Penguin
Soul of a Hero
Mind of a Lazy, Easily Distracted, Waste of Space

Magnetic North posted:

These are pretty good. Perhaps a bit long, as you said.

Be aware: at this juncture, I have no intention to add any additional descriptions such as these to the OPs, since there are so many other things in these OPs that could use additional attention. (I am still finding typos :sweatdrop:) I wanted to say that publicly in case others decide to try their hand at such wordsmithing, as I don't want them to feel inadequately appreciated. I hope you don't feel like you wasted your time.

Time enjoyed is never wasted!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Llyranor
Jun 24, 2013
Here's my pitch:

Sidereal Confluence: Trading and Negotiation in the Elysian Quadrant :
Trading and Negotiation in the Elysian Quadran