Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

I wanted to do a praxis and also stuff my face by making non kellogs rice crispy squares, and the most popular recipe calls for "tablespoons" of butter.

How the gently caress do you measure butter in a tablespoon???

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Miftan
Mar 31, 2012

Terry knows what he can do with his bloody chocolate orange...

OwlFancier posted:

I wanted to do a praxis and also stuff my face by making non kellogs rice crispy squares, and the most popular recipe calls for "tablespoons" of butter.

This is a safe space, you don't need to pretend you've never shoved a tablesoon into a tub of butter.

Tarnop
Nov 25, 2013

Pull me out

OwlFancier posted:

The density of butter is about 0.9g/ml and a tablespoon is 15 ml.

0.9 x 15 = 13.5g

keep punching joe
Jan 22, 2006

Die Satan!

OwlFancier posted:

14.17g = 1tbsp butter

american recipies suck rear end with their dumb measuring systems

edit: https://www.inchcalculator.com/convert/tablespoon-butter-to-gram-butter/

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

Tarnop posted:

0.9 x 15 = 13.5g

I have resorted to trying to figure this out and this is about the number I got too, I am more just absolutely loving baffled at how you are supposed to actually measure it, because it's a unit of volume for something that doesn't loving fit in a spoon.

Yes you can gouge out chunks of it with a spoon but unless you just melt a giant bucket of it and ladle it out you aren't getting level spoonfulls of the stuff.

Tarnop
Nov 25, 2013

Pull me out

OwlFancier posted:

I have resorted to trying to figure this out and this is about the number I got too, I am more just absolutely loving baffled at how you are supposed to actually measure it, because it's a unit of volume for something that doesn't loving fit in a spoon.

Yes you can gouge out chunks of it with a spoon but unless you just melt a giant bucket of it and ladle it out you aren't getting level spoonfulls of the stuff.

This is just a problem with American recipes in general using volumes where mass is more accurate. Flour is the one that annoys me the most because it compacts into any kind of scoop and accurate quantities matter in a lot of baking.

The fact that, as you identified, measuring butter by volume is going to result in waste, is no doubt a feature rather than a bug. There is also a whole industry producing and selling cup-sized scoops and we wouldn't want that to go away would we.

e: also from watching some American baking videos on YouTube, as far as I can tell no one uses an actual tablespoon, they're all using 15ml scoops which I guess you could level off with a knife but no one does.

Tarnop fucked around with this message at 18:27 on Jan 3, 2022

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal

Ornedan posted:

Cryptocoins seem good to libertarian weirdos who are opposed to ever trusting another human on principle, and hate "fiat" currencies. Bitcoin was meant to be a virtual gold standard where the generation of new coins slows and eventually stops, so that there will only ever be at most a fixed amount of currency in circulation. And there would be no bank whose ledger you'd have to trust, but rather a shared ledger's integrity would be enforced by everyone getting into an arms race for more computational power so they could allocate the dribble of new coins to themselves.

I guess the fundamental ideological stupidity of cryptos has nowadays gotten buried under all the layers of scams.
It's this, but more propertarian than libertarian. Potayto potahto perhaps, but there was a kind of utopian libertarian movement around cryptography in the 90s, John Perry Barlow, free software, information wants to be free, and the Crypto Wars, where the big underlying philosophy was that if you have some useful information and want to share it with a friend, no government or warlord or corporation could stop you.

Of course that requires a) useful information and b) friends so it was never going to work out for the kinds of misanthropes that just want to be king poo poo of their own poo poo mountain without bringing anything to the table, but it laid the groundwork for everything from free forums software to torrent sites, and the big change that cryptocurrency brought was to introduce the idea of scarcity and property to something that was otherwise ideologically post-scarcity and post-property. So now it was "if you own this digital property no government or warlord or corporation could take it away" and all those types loved it.

What all the layers of scams have proved is lol, that's not true at all is it, lmao.

Also OwlFancier just stick the spoon in and level it with a knife if you must. It's butter.

Lady Demelza
Dec 29, 2009

Lipstick Apathy
Crypto-twitter heard me, and have just reminded everyone that today is the 13th anniversary of the Genesis Block, the first Bitcoin block, mined by Satoshi Nakamoto on the 3rd of January, 2009.

Everyone book your tickets to Miami for the Bitcoin Conference 2022 in April.

goddamnedtwisto posted:

Have you done a PCR test?

Yep. PCR, LFT (including throat swab) and spit tests have all come back negative. I even took a photo of the LFT and zoomed in to double check there wasn't a faint line that might have been missed.

Lady Demelza fucked around with this message at 18:45 on Jan 3, 2022

goddamnedtwisto
Dec 31, 2004

If you ask me about the mole people in the London Underground, I WILL be forced to kill you
Fun Shoe

Lady Demelza posted:

Yep. PCR, LFT (including throat swab) and spit tests have all come back negative. I even took a photo of the LFT and zoomed in to double check there wasn't a faint line that might have been missed.

Has SA bred yet another variant?

(Seriously though that sucks, and I'd definitely call in sick if at all possible because even if it's "just" a cold it's not like traveling and working is going to speed your recovery, is it?)

Noxville
Dec 7, 2003

Tarnop posted:

This is just a problem with American recipes in general using volumes where mass is more accurate. Flour is the one that annoys me the most because it compacts into any kind of scoop and accurate quantities matter in a lot of baking.

The fact that, as you identified, measuring butter by volume is going to result in waste, is no doubt a feature rather than a bug. There is also a whole industry producing and selling cup-sized scoops and we wouldn't want that to go away would we.

e: also from watching some American baking videos on YouTube, as far as I can tell no one uses an actual tablespoon, they're all using 15ml scoops which I guess you could level off with a knife but no one does.

I’ve had to look it up enough times by now to know that a tablespoon of butter is in fact 14g

Just Another Lurker
May 1, 2009

Barry Foster posted:

Speaking of, it's been more or less exactly ten years I've been posting in these threads

Thanks for helping me see how terrible this country is, comrades, I was a self-satisfied 'why can't everyone just get along' liberal in 2011 and now I'm, well, *gestures downwards*

Anyway, pouring one out for the posters who posted then but don't post now

''Survive'' is one of the most important words these days. :mil101:

Those who have passed on are not forgotten.

edit: i run two computers at home, partial heating with included entertainment is fine by me.

Just Another Lurker fucked around with this message at 18:58 on Jan 3, 2022

Umbra Dubium
Nov 23, 2007

The British Empire was built on cups of tea, and if you think I'm going into battle without one, you're sorely mistaken!

"Forget about all those times I tried to sell you a bridge, NFTs have legitimate applications!"

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

Just Another Lurker posted:

edit: i run two computers at home, partial heating with included entertainment is fine by me.

I actually have wondered about this, if you adjust your heating to compensate is running electronics not just running a space heater that also does other things?

Marmaduke!
May 19, 2009

Why would it do that!?

The Question IRL posted:

And that is what Crypto has done and what NFT wants to do. Move the discussion away from "Wait, why do I use this, it's awful?" To "look we almost have the energy problem cracked."

Amazing, instead of any semblance of shame the people involved are happy to tout their involvement in it. That's what happens with our cultural values, I suppose (by which I mean, failing upwards).

Endjinneer
Aug 17, 2005
Fallen Rib

Guavanaut posted:

It's this, but more propertarian than libertarian. Potayto potahto perhaps, but there was a kind of utopian libertarian movement around cryptography in the 90s, John Perry Barlow, free software, information wants to be free, and the Crypto Wars, where the big underlying philosophy was that if you have some useful information and want to share it with a friend, no government or warlord or corporation could stop you.

Of course that requires a) useful information and b) friends so it was never going to work out for the kinds of misanthropes that just want to be king poo poo of their own poo poo mountain without bringing anything to the table, but it laid the groundwork for everything from free forums software to torrent sites, and the big change that cryptocurrency brought was to introduce the idea of scarcity and property to something that was otherwise ideologically post-scarcity and post-property. So now it was "if you own this digital property no government or warlord or corporation could take it away" and all those types loved it.

I think it was Cass Sunstein who, although something of a broken clock, studied how the modern libertarian/propertarian concept of freedom is blind to how heavily it relies on a government to enforce ownership rights. It's amusing to see the crypto bunch building their governmentless utopia and wondering why it's hell.

Tarnop posted:

0.9 x 15 = 13.5g
So you're telling me that if I get enough butter, I can sail it?

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal

OwlFancier posted:

I actually have wondered about this, if you adjust your heating to compensate is running electronics not just running a space heater that also does other things?
It is, but electric heating is bad from a cost perspective and (as long as we're mostly burning gas for electricity) environmental perspective. I guess electric heating from computers doing something useful would be waste process heat, which is better than purely electric heat.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

If you get enough concrete in the right shape you can sail it.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Concrete_ship

There's one sunk off the east cliff at whitby. Sticks out when the tide is low.

OwlFancier fucked around with this message at 19:21 on Jan 3, 2022

CGI Stardust
Nov 7, 2010

Brexit is but a door,
election time is but a window.

I'll be back

OwlFancier posted:

not surprised it sank. it's made of concrete!

Jaeluni Asjil
Apr 18, 2018

Sorry I thought you were a landlord when I gave you your old avatar!

CGI Stardust posted:

not surprised it sank. it's made of concrete!

https://londonist.com/london/history/visit-these-concrete-ships-from-wwii

16 ships made of concrete (reinforced with iron) - part of D-day landings preparations) at Rainham marshes.

Alctel
Jan 16, 2004

I love snails

NFTs are definitely the tipping point to people realising crypto is dumb

Also thanks for reminding me I bought $1000 worth of bitcoin when it was $60 a coin, many years ago

(I sold it all off at $200 a coin, I coulda been a millionaire rodney)

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

The one at whibty I think was built as a tugboat, and was scuttled on the eastern shelf.

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal

OwlFancier posted:

If you get enough concrete in the right shape you can sail it.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Concrete_ship

That'd fit well with

Guavanaut posted:

In the grim dampness of the not too distant future, there is only war between the luxury apartments and office spaces over 70m up and a handful of clergy who live on top of St Paul's.

e: That'd make a good narrative scenario, but a bit close to Sunless Sea/Fallen London

e2: And the Kevin Costner hit film Waterworld but English

The old precast concrete towerblocks sailing round on their side harassing the larger buildings.

Endjinneer
Aug 17, 2005
Fallen Rib

OwlFancier posted:

A couple of people have tried this using the waste heat from bitcoin mining. In both examples the bitcoin earnings do offset the higher cost of electric energy vs gas energy, but the cost of the mining rigs themselves is a challenge to the economics of it. A gas combi-boiler puts out about 20kW which is a heck of a lot of graphics cards.
https://medium.com/swlh/heating-my-home-with-crypto-mining-137d2a29b62a
https://blog.haschek.at/2021/how-i-heat-my-home-by-mining.html
With better designed and built houses the peak heating load would be a lot lower. One way to do it would be some kind of modern district heating where a local data-centre sends you its waste heat when you want it and sends it to a greenhouse when you don't.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

I was more thinking just about the notion that the electricity of a computer is just "wasted" when you're presumably not just firing it out of your house, presumably it should be counted for the utility of the task you're doing with it and also for its heating usage.

I don't think that really applies to making up useless things to do with your computer as an excuse to run it though, as in crypto.

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal
Using waste process heat from a datacenter does seem preferable to using waste process heat from a nitric acid works or a medical incinerator or something, because it doesn't require living near anything like that.

Probably not crypto though, they have a habit of doing poo poo like running illegal gas turbines.

goddamnedtwisto
Dec 31, 2004

If you ask me about the mole people in the London Underground, I WILL be forced to kill you
Fun Shoe
Concrete made with fly ash instead of sand and gravel as aggregate (e.g. breeze blocks and non-structural panels) are actually pretty close to water in density terms and so can float on their own - as demonstrated by a kid who jumped off a bridge into the docks around my way, landing on a massive concrete panel (presumably that had fallen/been blown off one of the sheds) floating a foot or so under the water.

The sight of someone whose legs weren't leg-shaped any more, screaming as he floated serenely off, is one that did more to prevent kids swimming in those docks than any amount of scary Donald Pleasance-voiced videos. I've always wondered how they got the poor bastard off there without making things much worse, because presumably you couldn't actually get a boat out to him without tipping the block and maybe chucking him into the water to try and swim with legs that had a lot more bends in them than legs normally do (I, of course, just ran like hell when I saw it happen)

goddamnedtwisto fucked around with this message at 20:08 on Jan 3, 2022

feedmegin
Jul 30, 2008

OwlFancier posted:

American recipe? You buy butter there and it comes in a rectangular cardboard box, and inside are four individually wrapped sticks, and on the stick is marked each tablespoon, 8 to a stick. So you just slice at the appropriate point.

crispix
Mar 28, 2015

Grand-Maman m'a raconté
(Les éditions des amitiés franco-québécoises)

Hello, dear
dyou reckon they call it a knob of butter b/c it is the amount that can comfortably fit under the foreskin :thunk:

Collateral
Feb 17, 2010

crispix posted:

dyou reckon they call it a knob of butter b/c it is the amount that can comfortably fit under the foreskin :thunk:

Sounds like a goon project. Post it on GBS.

Just Another Lurker
May 1, 2009

OwlFancier posted:

It's not an efficient alternative but it if you have them running anyway you may as well take advantage of it, though if i wanted a heater i would be running cutting edge Intel instead of AMD. :shrug:

Our current mild weather currently negates this atm.

I'm slightly tipsy so these posts may or may not be a coherent. :blush:

Currently dreading my next power bill in March/April, i can pay it but i don't want to give companies money unless required.

Jippa
Feb 13, 2009
Concrete ship or chocolate teapot?

Maugrim
Feb 16, 2011

I eat your face
Just had angry call and text from my landlord demanding to know why the rent for this month isn't in his account yet. I don't think he's realised today was a bank holiday.

Also getting stressed out by British Gas who have just told me I owe them 100 quid for November. Meanwhile People's Energy have been taking their £200 direct debit every month without fail including 29th Dec, and I haven't dared to cancel it because all the advice around collapsing energy companies said not to.

Tomorrow is going to involve watching my bank account like a hawk around 9am and then a lot of being on hold on the phone, I guess.

goddamnedtwisto
Dec 31, 2004

Fun Shoe

Jippa posted:

Concrete ship or chocolate teapot?

Both actually work fine (although only for a little while in the latter case), people just don't believe it because physics is hard.

Doctor_Fruitbat
Jun 2, 2013

On the subject of cereal: seriously, where do I get Ricicles or their closest knock-off? I haven't been able to find them in years, because everyone decided to stop making them simultaneously. I am getting unreasonably angry at the complete and total lack of sugar-coated rice crispies in this country, every time I remember that we were robbed of them I get really pissed off then have to feel stupid for being mad about cereal. Can I just sprinkle icing sugar on rice crispies and be done with it?

goddamnedtwisto
Dec 31, 2004

Fun Shoe

Maugrim posted:

Just had angry call and text from my landlord demanding to know why the rent for this month isn't in his account yet. I don't think he's realised today was a bank holiday.

Doh, of course it is - I was sort-of stressing because I had a notification from Amex saying "Thanks for the payment" but my bank account hadn't actually seen it go out - obviously part of me was excited thinking I'd just got away with a free Christmas but the other 99% of me was thinking "Oh poo poo something's hosed and I'm going to spend hours on the phone and bailiffs are going to turn up and Priti Patel will have let them carry guns" and all the other stuff that runs through my head every time there's the slightest discrepancy in my finances (if anything it's worse when it seems like I've come out ahead, because I know there's no way the universe wouldn't let that happen).

Still intrigued by that notification - I assume that because it's a direct debit the bank accepted the request from them on the 1st and went "Yeah, the money's there" to Amex but it doesn't officially get deducted from my account until tomorrow, but that seems a bit dangerous to me because *right now* it looks like I've got quite a bit more money than I thought I had and I can see that tricking people into silly decisions. Of course if I was a bank I could just show a screenshot of the empty Amex account and full current account and use that to get a loan for ten times the value of both, then get the government to pay it off for me.

Kokoro Wish
Jul 23, 2007

Post? What post? Oh wow.
I had nothing to do with THAT.

Lady Demelza posted:

I'm beyond two weeks of a cold that I can't shake. Every Covid test I've done is negative. There's so much congestion in my chest and nose that I have to rest after climbing the stairs and time eating/drinking with the need to breathe through my mouth. The only thing that can rouse me from the 10 hours sleep I need each night is periodically waking up boiling hot and sweating buckets.

Back at work tomorrow, coming to a customer service desk near you!

Sounds like you have pneumonia, my dude. If so, y'want to get that poo poo looked at pretty quick, and an ER visit is not out of the question usually at this stage of advancement.

Kokoro Wish fucked around with this message at 21:14 on Jan 3, 2022

Jollity Farm
Apr 23, 2010

These nerds aren't washing their cloth masks, are they? And they're reusing the disposable ones over and over, because words don't mean anything.

Lady Demelza
Dec 29, 2009

Lipstick Apathy
There was [is?] a concrete ship at the Waterways Museum in Gloucester. For years, the accumulated puddles, litter and occasional dead seagull fooled me into thinking it was just dumped there, but apparently it was [is?] an exhibit.

Julio Cruz
May 19, 2006
making kids breathe in the germs and bacteria they already have = abuse

letting them breathe their germs and bacteria all over each other = just common sense innit

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Endjinneer
Aug 17, 2005
Fallen Rib

OwlFancier posted:

I was more thinking just about the notion that the electricity of a computer is just "wasted" when you're presumably not just firing it out of your house, presumably it should be counted for the utility of the task you're doing with it and also for its heating usage.

I don't think that really applies to making up useless things to do with your computer as an excuse to run it though, as in crypto.

Yeah it's not wasted in the sense that the energy never disappears but the quantity is negligible if you only use computation for your own enjoyment. You'd get as much of a gain by swapping back to incandescent bulbs when it's cold.
If you're on a thermostat you don't need to make any adjustments to realise the gains either. Your heating only switches on until the temperature reaches your chosen level. If you've been playing COD at max settings or cooking christmas dinner then the background temperature will be slightly higher and the boiler will run for slightly less long or not at all.

goddamnedtwisto posted:

Concrete made with fly ash instead of sand and gravel as aggregate (e.g. breeze blocks and non-structural panels) are actually pretty close to water in density terms and so can float on their own - as demonstrated by a kid who jumped off a bridge into the docks around my way, landing on a massive concrete panel (presumably that had fallen/been blown off one of the sheds) floating a foot or so under the water.
Not quite, if I remember my mix design correctly. Fly ash is used for cement replacement in concrete because it has vaguely similar properties to portland cement, though it's not so easy to source now we've stopped burning coal in the UK. Blast furnace slag is used the same way. Neither affects the density that much. What does is aerating the concrete and you can get down to 6-800kg/m3. Leave out the large aggregate as well and that's the recipe for breeze blocks. If you cut them in half they look like an aero.