Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

NRVNQSR
Mar 1, 2009

Vookatos posted:

Honestly, the fact that out of all people who answered me regarding best/worst games none place 2 as the worst shocks me.

I think that has a lot to do with the large gulf in quality between 2's different cases? A lot of people really like 2-4, and are willing to overlook the quality of some of the game's other cases because of it. People who didn't think much of 2-4 are much more likely to consign the game to last place.

Personally I'd place it second to last, because I was just so disappointed by 4.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

punk rebel ecks
Dec 11, 2010

A shitty post? This calls for a dance of deduction.
GAA1 is easily one of the best in the series. I find it strange if the community considers it only "decent".

Still it's odd to single it out since GAA1 and GAA2 are basically one big game to me (like Trails in the Sky).

Yes I realize there was a two year delay in Japan, but not elsewhere.

Still playing GAA2 and I love it.

Regalingualius
Jan 7, 2012

We gazed into the eyes of madness... And all we found was horny.

AJ’s 3rd case is always going to stick out to me for having Apollo point out that the entire premise of the prosecution’s case is wildly implausible, Klavier actually agreeing with that assessment, and then spends the rest of the trial going full steam ahead while basically never acknowledging that little conundrum again.

And the tape, of course.

NRVNQSR
Mar 1, 2009

punk rebel ecks posted:

Yes I realize there was a two year delay in Japan, but not elsewhere.

For a lot of people there was a similar wait for the English version too; the fan translation of GAA1 came out in early 2019, and at the time no-one really believed it would ever be officially localised so a lot of people just played that. GAA2 wasn't fully playable in English until two years later.

Regy Rusty
Apr 26, 2010

2-4 is my favorite case in the series and 2-2 is good if not great so no I don't put JFA at the bottom.

Rosalie_A
Oct 30, 2011

Vookatos posted:

Honestly, the fact that out of all people who answered me regarding best/worst games none place 2 as the worst shocks me.

You said you never did 2-4, IIRC? JFA has one atrocious case, one whatever tutorial, and one good case, and then at the end has what's commonly considered to be in the top, if not the top, case by a lot of players. Yes, really, that one case saves the game that much.

The other contenders for worst game in the series have the problem of also having circus tier cases without having 2-4 to make up for it.

EDIT: To elaborate on 2-4: the best AA cases (and games) tend to hit one of two buttons. Either they've got amazing plot and mysteries, or they're telling really gripping character stories. Of course, every case tries to hit both of those, but some focus more on one or the other (it's my personal theory that players are generally more interested in one or the other and that accounts for much of the divide in game preferences, but I digress). And, of course, not every case manages to hit both well: 2-3 being the most infamous in this regard. 2-4 is one of those that manages to land both directions: the actual mystery involved is intricate and engaging to figure out, as well as showing multiple characters at their absolute best.

Rosalie_A fucked around with this message at 15:31 on Jan 3, 2022

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.
I like 2-3. I just think the investigation sections kind of suck.

flavor.flv
Apr 18, 2008

I got a letter from the government the other day
opened it, read it
it said they was bitches

There are no circus-tier cases. There's the circus case, then the tiers start above that

I will play guitar's serenade on a loop for six hours before I cross examine Moe again

Electric Phantasm
Apr 7, 2011

YOSPOS

Youtube just reminded me about this incredible scene

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1rxANrvCj-8

hatty
Feb 28, 2011

Pork Pro
My only problem with big top is Regina should be at least five years older than she is. I thought cross examining moe was funny at the time

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.

hatty posted:

My only problem with big top is Regina should be at least five years older than she is. I thought cross examining moe was funny at the time

Moe is a good cross examination because it's one of the best "the weird thing the witness claims to have seen really happened" bits in the series along with Larry in 3-5, and breaking up the "just hit press on everything" rhythm on occasion is good

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna!!!

Yeah, I think the circus case would be noticeably better if an entire trial day was not dedicated to a love triangle of pedophiles.

Silver Falcon
Dec 5, 2005

Two, three, four, five, six, seven, eight and barbecue your own drumsticks!

hatty posted:

Moe did nothing wrong. Puns are great and if anything I was mad at the judge for penalizing me for wanting to hear more of his puns.

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.
I actually think 3-3 is a worse version of 2-3 cross-examination and trial-wise but it has some of the most memorable investigation segments (mainly everything at the loan shark office) so it has a better reputation.

Pungry
Feb 26, 2011

JUST PICK ONE. ANY ONE.
Speaking of case 3s, I just replayed Spirit of Justice's Case 3 and was pretty blown away. I don't remember being impacted nearly as much by the resolution the first time I played. Fantastic case.

punk rebel ecks
Dec 11, 2010

Spirit of Justice is the only game in the series I haven’t played. How much am I missing out?

Arist
Feb 13, 2012

who, me?

It's a pretty good game. The raising of the stakes gets pretty absurd but there's some very good cases and they bring back two of the best characters in the series. If you can stomach probably the least interesting prosecutor in the series it's definitely worth playing.

Omobono
Feb 19, 2013

That's it! No more hiding in tomato crates! It's time to show that idiota Germany how a real nation fights!

For pasta~! CHARGE!

Klavier isn't* in Spirit of Justice :v:
But :agreed:, Nayuta does not light the plot on fire to say the least.

*He actually has a cameo appearance IIRC

Fedule
Mar 27, 2010

No one left uncured.
I got you.
The thing that always struck me and my opinions as the central dichotomy of Ace Attorney case structures isn't any particular tendency towards or away from character drama but simply that there seems to me to be some cases that stake everything on a single motherfucker-grade twist that the game delights in hiding right under your nose the whole time and you figure it out at the exact moment the game wants you to has it hits like a train full of trucks, and some cases that just shotgun a lot of smaller twists at you, and stake the tension on there being so many goddamn plates in the air that even though you can and will call several of them in advance, you won't get all of them, and you won't piece the whole thing together until just before the end.

In particular, GAA I found to be a nice instructive example of this, because G1-5 is the former and G2-5 is the latter.

Regy Rusty
Apr 26, 2010

punk rebel ecks posted:

Spirit of Justice is the only game in the series I haven’t played. How much am I missing out?

You should play it

Amppelix
Aug 6, 2010

punk rebel ecks posted:

it's an ace attorney game and it's better than DD so there's literally no reason not to play it if you like ace attorney games

punk rebel ecks
Dec 11, 2010

That's good to hear. Should I get the iOS port or wait and see if Capcom does a "Apollo Justice - Ace Attorney Adventures" collection port for Switch/Steam?

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

According to leaked files last year, a 456 collection is in development for an unspecified time frame.

Zulily Zoetrope
Jun 1, 2011

Muldoon
SoJ is far from my favorites, but it has some real good highlights and is way better than Dual Destinies.

Silver Falcon
Dec 5, 2005

Two, three, four, five, six, seven, eight and barbecue your own drumsticks!

SOJ made me cry. It had my bawling like a dang baby.

It's good.

flavor.flv
Apr 18, 2008

opened it, read it
it said they was bitches

Zulily Zoetrope posted:

SoJ is far from my favorites, but it has some real good highlights and is way better than Dual Destinies.

Amppelix posted:

it's an ace attorney game and it's better than DD so there's literally no reason not to play it if you like ace attorney games

Crazy the things you read on the internet these days

Amppelix
Aug 6, 2010

please, do elaborate, i love opinions

flavor.flv
Apr 18, 2008

opened it, read it
it said they was bitches

Spirit of justice is my least favourite game in the whole series. The gimmick is cool, but it comes out of nowhere and retcons a bunch of long-established things in the series which is never good storytelling. The prosecutor is awful and has barely any story arc, and instead of finishing Apollo's story that was being set up in 4, it pulls a new one out of its rear end

Dual destinies on the other hand is great! Love the story, love the prosecutor, I really wanted to see more Athena and the lack thereof is one of spirit of justice's many crimes, and it has a case set in a tiny Japanese village where all the characters are based on yokai and they solve disputes with pro wrestling, how is that not in everybody's list of best cases in the series??

Amppelix
Aug 6, 2010

sure, they came up with a third new backstory for apollo but who cares about that when they actually did it well this time and apollo gets a bunch of great character moments from it

the mysteries are good and the character writing is good (besides nahyuta but i guess you can't have everything) so that's why i like SoJ. DD regularly flounders on at least one of these fronts.

Regy Rusty
Apr 26, 2010

SoJ is chock full of really good and satisfying mysteries. That is why it is one of my favorites.

Fedule
Mar 27, 2010

No one left uncured.
I got you.
SoJ is bad only by reason of things that are not in SoJ, and, like, I can respect the line of thought that it's important to maintain continuity of ideas and close out series arcs properly but also those things are magnificently, viscerally ignorable, unlike the only problem actually in the game, which is the prosecutor, who is largely inoffensive on account of not raising any strong feeling of any kind

hatty
Feb 28, 2011

Pork Pro
I’m just want Phoenix to retire, what else can he accomplish at this point?

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

Spirit of Justice has an actual villain and they didn't just give up on writing one.

Funky Valentine
Feb 26, 2014

Dojyaa~an

Apollo's new and kind of insane backstory is cool and good and I can't wait for AA7's new and insane backstory for Athena.

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

Apollo has three backstories and poor Athena has been playable in like three and a half cases in two games.

Irony Be My Shield
Jul 29, 2012

All AA games going forwards should have a new and entirely unrelated Apollo backstory.

Tired Moritz
Mar 25, 2012

wish Lowtax would get tired of YOUR POSTS

(n o i c e)
The more magic an ace attorney game has, the better it is.

Amppelix
Aug 6, 2010

you're slightly wrong but i see where you made the mistake. here's the correct phrasing:

the more magicians (or people akin to magicians like mediums) a game has the better it is. magic usage optional.

E: by this metric we can finally determine that objectively, great ace attorney adventures is the worst ace attorney game

Zulily Zoetrope
Jun 1, 2011

Muldoon
Shameful erase of GAA case 2-3 going on here

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Amppelix
Aug 6, 2010

i said adventures!! i did not forget my good friend criminal magician juror