Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Vitruvian Manic
Dec 5, 2021

by Fluffdaddy

Narcissus1916 posted:

Where did you spot this? I think it was abundantly clear that the all valley was filmed on a MUCH smaller set. Definitely felt like they were filming in a gym rather than an auditorium. All the fights looked like they had both participants in the same place though.

The background was clearly a green screen in the tourney. And there were tons of "digital double" effects where you had character A talking to the back of character B's head then flip it's Character B talking to the back of character A's head. I was up passed my bedtime and admittedly had overserved myself but I also swear there were some "star wars shields" surrounding the characters.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Golden Bee
Dec 24, 2009

I came here to chew bubblegum and quote 'They Live', and I'm... at an impasse.
I like how much emphasis was put on knowing your opponent and how they think, but none of the final fights involved that.

—-
That aside, it’s fascinating how many different character-plates they keep spinning. I forgot that hawk & Dimitri went to school by the time we see them go back there. The people who run the tournament, the guy at the minimart…

This used to be the Johnny Lawrence and Daniel LaRusso show, and as the universe expands you say what they are starting to realize, that the world is bigger their grudge.

—-
I had a lot of sympathy for Silver. He seemed like he was trying to teach karate as a decent, direct and efficient sport, and at worst a business, and Kreese repeatedly undermined and psychologically abused him. Martin Kove gets the least sympathy out of all the main characters, all we get are his flashbacks and they weren’t any real ones this season. He’s still mostly the guy he was in karate kid 1. He has such a screen presence that you get nervous whenever he’s doing something, even standing on the mats.
I think their relationship would it be more interesting if the preview picture for the season wasn’t then at the All Valley.
—-
I really liked Robby’s arc this season. It’s amazing that the show keeps going back to the well of “a nerd needs to learn karate“, but they do it differently every time and it has different consequences every time.

Golden Bee fucked around with this message at 05:42 on Jan 3, 2022

Flesnolk
Apr 11, 2012
Does it? Kenny just ended up turning into Hawk, but less of a showman

Golden Bee
Dec 24, 2009

I mean every teen character on the show besides moon has learned karate at this point.

Flesnolk
Apr 11, 2012
I bet Moon has a gun

Spacebump
Dec 24, 2003

Dallas Mavericks: Generations
when Carrie Underwood showed up, I thought she was going to sing a karate themed Sunday night football parody song.

ilmucche
Mar 16, 2016

Spacebump posted:

when Carrie Underwood showed up, I thought she was going to sing a karate themed Sunday night football parody song.

It was what i was expecting too, but what it was was so much worse

BrianWilly
Apr 24, 2007

There is no homosexual terrorist Johnny Silverhand
Just finished. I liked this season about the same as season 3. I feel like this season made a little better use of its screentime, but in a way there was also a lot of...ironically?...circular storytelling.

Every character is so obsessed with "the way" to do things, sometimes they think one way is better, then another way, then a halfway point between ways, then no they change their minds about it, then they make up their minds about the way again, and on and on. It got to a bit of a silly point, in a "no human being would think these kinds of thoughts or speak these sorts of dialogues" CW drama kind of way. The dichotomy between offense and defense felt a bit forced, and the season endpoints of Johnny and Daniel learning to accept each others' methods felt like it had already happened by the second or third episode of the season, and then they just decide they just can't do that anymore because the plot would be over if they did, and then they circle back around to accepting each others' ways again by the end.

Pretty much all the tournament fights were great. The back half of the season was pretty strong overall, though Robby deciding to reconcile with Johnny felt weird in a way that's hard to explain. I think they only had one other scene with each other in the whole ten episodes, so it's like the show forgot that this was even a conflict that was still happening, and then by the end decided that it didn't really feel like continuing this particular drama anymore...so, aiight, let's wrap it up real quick.

I liked the plots with Kenny and Daniel's sadly unfat son at first because it actually felt like a bit of a fresh new thing in a show that had been kinda recycling characterizations at this point, but then at the end Kenny is just doing Hawk's story again.

Terry was great, he exemplifies the exact sort of personality that works great in this show, but I wish he had more scenes with Daniel and Johnny. Most of his scenes were with Kreese, talking about nothing in particular, and at some point it just ended up feeling real samey.

I dunno. I enjoy myself when I watch this show, but upon actual reflection a lot of it feels more amateurish than it should be. I think my favorite scene of the season was when the tournament organizers were just shouting at each other over ridonkulous tournament regulatory nonsense; the show really fires on all cylinders when it leans into this silly rad world and not so much when it's trying to make up reasons for the characters to be wangsty at each other.

BrianWilly fucked around with this message at 10:07 on Jan 3, 2022

punk rebel ecks
Dec 11, 2010

A shitty post? This calls for a dance of deduction.

BrianWilly posted:

Every character is so obsessed with "the way" to do things, sometimes they think one way is better, then another way, then a halfway point between ways, then no they change their minds about it, then they make up their minds about the way again, and on and on. It got to a bit of a silly point, in a "no human being would think these kinds of thoughts or speak these sorts of dialogues" CW drama kind of way. The dichotomy between offense and defense felt a bit forced, and the season endpoints of Johnny and Daniel learning to accept each others' methods felt like it had already happened by the second or third episode of the season, and then they just decide they just can't do that anymore because the plot would be over if they did, and then they circle back around to accepting each others' ways again by the end.

The "philosophy of fighting" is really just a metaphor of "philosophy of life". Anyone who does even a little bit of martial arts knows that virtually all the stuff this show's dojos is a bunch of nerd crap that is applicable to the real world ([spoiler]and if anything Cobra Kai is correct in almost all of it's fighting advice). The reality is each gym is an analogy of a world view. Miyagi-do represents the passivist world view. In that you should be obedient, deescalate situations, and to be as kind as possible. Eagle Fang represents the assertive point of view. In that you should be rebellious, stand your ground, and be as mean as you need to be. Cobra Kai represents the aggressive world view. In that you should be a menace, assert your dominance, and always push people around before they can push you.

When characters argue with each other it's about a certain world view and life style they hold. Samantha and Daniel constantly argue because Samantha wants to lose her "good girl" image by being more rebellious and learning how to be mean to people who are mean to her. Hence why she is so interested in joining Eagle Fang which is a stand in for that philosophy. Daniel doesn't like this as he wants her to stay obedient and deescalate situations so she doesn't get into trouble. It's a classic parent/child dynamic.

Daniel and Johnny both are staunch in their beliefs for obvious reasons but also have faults from that which should be obvious enough that I shouldn't have to type. The hockey scene sums this up perfectly. Daniel does his best to deescalate the situation, but at the end of the day de-escalation isn't a magic bullet there be sometimes when it won't work. There are assholes in the real world, and you have to learn to deal with such assholes.

While the world view Miyagi-do and Eagle Fang represent both have their merits and are appropriate depending on the situation, Cobra Kai's philosophy is never appropriate. It's straight up toxic. It's sole goal is to channel one's anger to use for destructive powers both on and off the ring. The goal is to follow "the might makes right" doctrine by achieving your life's goals by punishing others as the entire world is "at war with you". The dojo has it's roots with scarred Vietnam veterans for a reason. Instead of teaching you to "makes peace with oneself and only attack if your life is threatened" like Miyagi-do or to "what ever doesn't kill you makes you stronger and don't go causing fights but don't back down from one" like Eagle Fang, Cobra Kai's modo is "Strike First, Strike Hard, Mercy". Or in other words "always be on the attack as everyone is out to get you!"

It's no wonder that kids who have been bullied like Eli and Kenny quickly became violent sociopaths, while Robbie and Tory became under a strict mindset of "trust noone" after joining Cobra Kai. I mean to be fair the latter two had elements of that before, but Cobra Kai definitely strengthened them.

In short, the show displays that one must learn to balance being a passivist and being assertive, and to avoid being aggressive. Because that aggression eats you and tears you apart.

BrianWilly posted:

Pretty much all the tournament fights were great. The back half of the season was pretty strong overall, though Robby deciding to reconcile with Johnny felt weird in a way that's hard to explain.
It was weird because it happened way too quick and it doesn't gel with Robbie's personality.

HerpicleOmnicron5
May 31, 2013

How did this smug dummkopf ever make general?

I dunno, Robbie trying to mentor a kid and seeing him turn into an absolute shitter, revealing to him that he’s actually no better than his prior failed mentors and father figures seems like an appropriate point for reconciliation.

Golden Bee
Dec 24, 2009

Robbie doesn’t admit he’s wrong until he’s proved wrong. He stayed with his lovely criminal friends until they tried to attack him. He attacks Miguel whenever Miguel touches Tori, even though Miguel only does it to stop Tori and Sam from fighting.

Robbie didn’t just fail the person was mentoring, he failed his prison buddy. And in that failure, he thought about all his mentors, including his dad.

So after losing the big tournament to the guy who snuck attack him the year before, he’s completely unsure about what karate even means.

Adnor
Jan 11, 2013

Justice for Daisy

How the hell is a sequel to the Karate Kid franchise so good.

It's been 4 seasons and I still don't understand how this happened.

punk rebel ecks
Dec 11, 2010

A shitty post? This calls for a dance of deduction.

HerpicleOmnicron5 posted:

I dunno, Robbie trying to mentor a kid and seeing him turn into an absolute shitter, revealing to him that he’s actually no better than his prior failed mentors and father figures seems like an appropriate point for reconciliation.

Oh it makes sense why he had a change of heart. It’s just that it happened so abruptly.

Adnor posted:

How the hell is a sequel to the Karate Kid franchise so good.

Karate Kid has always been a great concept and IP that was unfortunately mishandled.

Professor Beetus
Apr 12, 2007

They can fight us
But they'll never Beetus
My only problem with this season is that I feel like (halfway in essentially) the kids are written so much better than the adults, and also better than they've been written in previous seasons, so the adults come off as even bigger dumbasses. Terry Silver seems like the most actual grown-up person on the show even by episode 5.

e: I don't think any of that is spoilers but if I'm wrong I'd be happy to put up the black bars.

Guy A. Person
May 23, 2003

Yeah agree with Golden Bee and HerpicleOmnicron5 (lol great name) that Robbie's slower burn arc worked for me this season in a way it hadn't in previous seasons.

What was pretty cool is he made it clear he wasn't even really following Kreese or Silver at all since he didn't really trust them either. His whole arc this season was basically that he had felt betrayed/let down by every other father/mentor figure and thought he could just be on his own, maybe "using" Kreese and accepting Silver's gifts but never acting subservient to him.

Him taking someone else under his wing and realizing being a mentor is a lot harder than it seems was a good way to snap him out of that IMO. I think the realization that Anthony LaRusso was Kenny's bully is also a bigger moment than it appears, since he had to have realized he could have stopped this entire situation at the root with a phone call if he had actually been paying attention/cared enough to really dig into what was going on. Not to mention cutting off all ties with the LaRussos made it harder to talk to Anthony afterword to try and salvage the situation.

He had been on the verge of forgiving Johnny at a lot of points throughout the series, his big beef with him post-S3 was he felt like Johnny "made his choice" by choosing to focus on Miguel's rehab instead of helping Robbie through his time in juvie. Knowing how complex these things can be has to soften that blow somewhat. I do think a few more scenes with them together could have helped but it didn't feel out of left field for him to see the eventual outcome of Cobra Kai thinking -- and how that hatred had effected Kenny, effected him and almost certainly had to have effected Johnny -- and reach back out to him.

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003
I WILL CUT OFF BOTH OF MY ARMS BEFORE I VOTE FOR ANYONE THAT IS MORE POPULAR THAN BERNIE!!!!!

punk rebel ecks posted:

(and if anything Cobra Kai is correct in almost all of it's fighting advice).
Kreese doesn't seem terribly interested in teaching people how to fight. His priority is always breaking people to his will, so he makes his students beat each other up and do grueling stunts instead of really training. His best guys learned to fight from other people.

One thing he is really good at is spotting someone who's not going to be useful to him, and leading his students in bullying that person, so that they don't turn on him.

This season felt the most relevant to my experience as a teenage karate nerd, especially all the stuff I hated about tournaments. It really brought out the worst in the instructors who we were expected to regard as some kind of guru.

BiggerBoat
Sep 26, 2007

Don't you tell me my business again.

Golden Bee posted:

So after losing the big tournament to the guy who snuck attack him the year before, he’s completely unsure about what karate even means.

This is the correct reaction for him to have I think.

Adnor posted:

How the hell is a sequel to the Karate Kid franchise so good?

Agreed. It's bizarre and genuinely impressive and I still don't know how they pulled it off myself, especially over 4 seasons. In addition to the writers solidly having each foot firmly planted into the serious vs. the cheesy, I also think having some good actors helped a lot as well.

Honestly been trying to think of a parallel and only thing I can come up with is Creed 1 and Creed 2 but those were movies. I can't think of another film like Karate Kid (also there were 4 of them) that could be turned into a consistently good and successful TV series like this. It'd be like if Netflix green lit a Footloose or Top Gun series or some poo poo and somehow it all worked out. Reminds me a little bit of some of the success that movies like Starsky & Hutch and 21 Jump Street managed only in reverse (tv show to film) and, again, those were kind of one shots and full on parodies.

What other cheese-tacular movie series of similar quality could sustain a really good 5 season episodic TV show adaptation like this? I guess you'd need teenage protagonists to start with. Totally drawing a blank.

DrunkPanda
Apr 24, 2005
I am trolling you, CineD

28 Days Later is actually a great movie

fuck starcraft

Flesnolk posted:

I found Miguel's actor clearly having gained like 30 pounds between seasons, and Johnny's resembling a very skinny Donald Trump in certain shots, distracting. Fun season so far though

First thing I thought when he tried that tornado kick and pulled a muscle was "if he hadn't gained so much weight that wouldn't have happened..."

DrunkPanda fucked around with this message at 19:36 on Jan 3, 2022

DrunkPanda
Apr 24, 2005
I am trolling you, CineD

28 Days Later is actually a great movie

fuck starcraft

Robobot posted:

"What, did you switch to Whopper Jr.'s?" was one of the biggest laughs of th season for me. Also the continuously escalating hilarity of a Johnny Lawrence training montage culminating in a bald eagle doing a hawk screech.

I love this show, and don't care how schlocky it is. I think it really finds a good balance of actual emotional moments and tongue in cheek moments. Only complaint for the season was bringing back Stingray. Just not a fan of the character.

HOW DARE YOU! STINGRAY IS A NATIONAL TREASURE

Golden Bee
Dec 24, 2009

BiggerBoat posted:

What other cheese-tacular movie series of similar quality could sustain a really good 5 season episodic TV show adaptation like this? I guess you'd need teenage protagonists to start with. Totally drawing a blank.

Saved by the bell is just as good of reboot, but replace the karate fights with ludicrous costumes and stunts. And it was multiple TV series.
(“Back when you were in college...”
“Yeah, the college years. Doesn’t everyone call it that?)

It’s anchored by amazing adult actors, amazing child actors, and an urge to deconstruct what exactly the original show was about, and what it felt like. (“Step three of the teen line… Relax with a refreshing taste of crystal Pepsi?”)

I think these two are the best shows of the reboot era.

Flesnolk
Apr 11, 2012

Halloween Jack posted:

Kreese doesn't seem terribly interested in teaching people how to fight. His priority is always breaking people to his will, so he makes his students beat each other up and do grueling stunts instead of really training. His best guys learned to fight from other people.

It's interesting that he seems to have regressed as a teacher. He turned Johnny Lawrence into a legitimately skilled fighter back in the day, but in season 3 he just took shortcuts by recruiting people who were already experienced, talented athletes. Also lol that he thinks a skilled high school wrestler is "an untrained fighter."

The Bee
Nov 25, 2012

Making his way to the ring . . .
from Deep in the Jungle . . .

The Big Monkey!

BiggerBoat posted:

This is the correct reaction for him to have I think.

I think a lot of characters are having that reaction now, and I'm kinda excited to see where that lands us next season. It doesn't feel like an accident to me that, past the initial boost in confidence and competence, most positive change we've seen from the series hasn't been from karate anymore.

isaboo
Nov 11, 2002

Muay Buok
ขอให้โชคดี

Golden Bee posted:

Saved by the bell is just as good of reboot, but replace the karate fights with ludicrous costumes and stunts. And it was multiple TV series.
(“Back when you were in college...”
“Yeah, the college years. Doesn’t everyone call it that?)

It’s anchored by amazing adult actors, amazing child actors, and an urge to deconstruct what exactly the original show was about, and what it felt like. (“Step three of the teen line… Relax with a refreshing taste of crystal Pepsi?”)

I think these two are the best shows of the reboot era.

Hell yeah, and the just aired S2 was even better than S1.

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003
I WILL CUT OFF BOTH OF MY ARMS BEFORE I VOTE FOR ANYONE THAT IS MORE POPULAR THAN BERNIE!!!!!

DrunkPanda posted:

HOW DARE YOU! STINGRAY IS A NATIONAL TREASURE
I'm glad that they brought Stingray back, but only with the caveat that they were upfront about him being a creepy loser.

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003

Flesnolk posted:

It's interesting that he seems to have regressed as a teacher. He turned Johnny Lawrence into a legitimately skilled fighter back in the day, but in season 3 he just took shortcuts by recruiting people who were already experienced, talented athletes. Also lol that he thinks a skilled high school wrestler is "an untrained fighter."
I know the show's not realistic, but it makes a lot of sense. In 1984, just being aggressive and fighting dirty probably went a long way.

Flesnolk
Apr 11, 2012

Halloween Jack posted:

I'm glad that they brought Stingray back, but only with the caveat that they were upfront about him being a creepy loser.
Were they, though? They put criticisms of the character in the mouth of a nebbish, just as losery Grating Neighbour Type, who hurls endless torrents of abuse at him for both his scenes and then gets the poo poo beaten out of him to raucous applause. And then he becomes instrumental to Kreese's downfall.

Halloween Jack posted:

I know the show's not realistic, but it makes a lot of sense. In 1984, just being aggressive and fighting dirty probably went a long way.

The same teachings let his old students clear out an entire bar of dudes without much trouble in 2019 though, and Johnny was able to use them to make Miguel a champion :V

Golden Bee
Dec 24, 2009

Flesnolk posted:

Were they, though?

They weren’t rebuked! It’s interesting that stingray took the most verbal abuse of any fighter this season. He tried descalating repeatedly. Then he encountered one of the people from the karate kid universe, ‘the guy who pushes you until you beat their rear end’.
If things preceded, it’s likely he would face the consequences of those actions. But him being popular with kids doesn’t, within the language of the show, make him a winner. All his “friends“ didn’t even tell him about the eagle fang split.

The Bee
Nov 25, 2012

Making his way to the ring . . .
from Deep in the Jungle . . .

The Big Monkey!
Stingray's life would be seriously improved if he took some karate classes for adults, or maybe went to an MMA gym or something. Unfortunately, he's stuck in an 80s movie, so I don't think those exist.

Flesnolk
Apr 11, 2012
There's a deleted season 1 scene with a BJJ dojo

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003
Stingray would 100% be a BJJ stoner guy

BiggerBoat
Sep 26, 2007

Don't you tell me my business again.

Golden Bee posted:

They weren’t rebuked! It’s interesting that stingray took the most verbal abuse of any fighter this season. He tried descalating repeatedly. Then he encountered one of the people from the karate kid universe, ‘the guy who pushes you until you beat their rear end’.
If things preceded, it’s likely he would face the consequences of those actions. But him being popular with kids doesn’t, within the language of the show, make him a winner. All his “friends“ didn’t even tell him about the eagle fang split.

Well, I mean, he was "popular with the kids" because he was old enough to buy booze, hosted a rager and then kicked some uptight neighbor's rear end in front of a crowd. No one was standing up for him when he did his "well actually" poo poo at the Cobra Kai dojo and he was still the "creepy older guy hanging out with high school seniors" until he provided a safe space them to gently caress and drink booze. I didn't see any of the kids visiting him in the ICU

I was honestly expecting him to flip to Miyagi Do or, more likely, Eagle Fang and be a player in the tournament somehow. He didn't really knock anything out of the park and got his rear end savagely whipped for his troubles, lying in traction, lying to the cops and setting up a redemption arc for S5 but I kind of dug the reveal we got just to add another layer of Karate Soap Opera to this thing.

I wonder why the Stingray and Alsha disappeared like that and instead they brought in so many new characters. Did the actors not want to do it or were they written out? Seems to me you could do more with less by just keeping them both around and changing their motivation(s) rather than introducing Kenny and the two women characters whose names I sadly can't even remember. They needed a strong fighting female supporting character for the Eagle Fang arc and already had one that people liked. I guess they wanted Kenny because they needed a new bully target and wanted to give Larusso Jr. something more interesting to don but Alsha was right there for Johnny. SOme kid in the dojo just needs to be all "Hey...I know someone..."

poo poo...sorry. That was longer than I expected it to be. This loving show, man.

BiggerBoat fucked around with this message at 00:11 on Jan 4, 2022

Golden Bee
Dec 24, 2009

The tournaments 18 and under, despite some of the tournaments stunt people looking like full adults.

Panzeh
Nov 27, 2006

"..The high ground"

Flesnolk posted:

There's a deleted season 1 scene with a BJJ dojo

I didn't know it existed and then i watched it. It's a hilarious scene but I get why, especially in season 1, they didn't want to get too much into BJJ and more modern stuff. Karate is, yes, IRL kind of a joke compared to BJJ competitively speaking but referencing that in a karate show is a bit much.

DoctorWhat
Nov 18, 2011

A little privacy, please?
Aisha's actor was not involved in s3 at all and getting her for that one scene seems like a bit of a coup.

Flesnolk
Apr 11, 2012

Panzeh posted:

I didn't know it existed and then i watched it. It's a hilarious scene but I get why, especially in season 1, they didn't want to get too much into BJJ and more modern stuff. Karate is, yes, IRL kind of a joke compared to BJJ competitively speaking but referencing that in a karate show is a bit much.

Karate actually has a respected legacy in both kickboxing and MMA. I don't think anyone has honestly been like "lol krotty useless " since 2006

Vitruvian Manic
Dec 5, 2021

by Fluffdaddy

DoctorWhat posted:

Aisha's actor was not involved in s3 at all and getting her for that one scene seems like a bit of a coup.

Didn't she do a gofundme and it was all kind of weirdness?

lumpentroll
Mar 4, 2020

Vitruvian Manic posted:

Didn't she do a gofundme and it was all kind of weirdness?

to get back on the show?

Hollismason
Jun 30, 2007
FEEL FREE TO DISREGARD THIS POST

It is guaranteed to be lazy, ignorant, and/or uninformed.
What's the story behind Aisha actor not being on the show anymore I liked her character

Flesnolk
Apr 11, 2012
racism

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Golden Bee
Dec 24, 2009

She was in first position for a smokey and the bandit reboot