Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Polo-Rican
Jul 4, 2004

emptyquote my posts or die
america sucks so bad look at this poo poo

https://twitter.com/RaulNBCBoston/status/1477985506931707912

when you don't have any sort of walkable city center or transit, the only option for getting a lot of people into one place is to have them drive

Polo-Rican has issued a correction as of 15:36 on Jan 3, 2022

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cup Runneth Over
Aug 8, 2009

She said life's
Too short to worry
Life's too long to wait
It's too short
Not to love everybody
Life's too long to hate

Polo-Rican posted:

when you don't have any sort of walkable city center or transit, the only option for getting a lot of people into one place is to have them drive

No you don't get it it's really important we separate every building from each other with large parking lots. Otherwise where will we fit all those cars?

nomad2020
Jan 30, 2007

It's called freedom, maybe you should look it up sometime.

Lastgirl
Sep 7, 1997

Good Morning!
Sunday Morning!
patrick starishly:] what if we pushed the cars somewhere ELSE

vyelkin
Jan 2, 2011

Lastgirl posted:

patrick starishly:] what if we pushed the cars somewhere ELSE

hear me out, what if we dug a tunnel the exact size and shape and route needed for a new subway line, then instead let rich people drive single-occupancy cars through it instead

Jokerpilled Drudge
Jan 27, 2010

by Pragmatica

vyelkin posted:

hear me out, what if we dug a tunnel the exact size and shape and route needed for a new subway line, then instead let rich people drive single-occupancy cars through it instead

except theres no exit on the other end and we blow the entrance once they are all inside

PeterCat
Apr 8, 2020

Believe women.

Jestery posted:

I was biking I. The middle today, managing to keep pace which is nice

Had my pant cuff rip my chain guard up and out and had to manage not cutting my foot open, and not getting run over, and indicating to get off the road

Was a bit hectic but managed

Bicyclists should bring back puttees!

Only registered members can see post attachments!

ate shit on live tv
Feb 15, 2004

by Azathoth

vyelkin posted:

Those tunnels that are being built in some power point presentation aren't the right size for a subway line, that's why they are supposed to be "cheaper." Literally their only advantage is that they are smaller then a more practical tunnel. Basically shrinkflation but for infrastrucutre.

Polo-Rican
Jul 4, 2004

emptyquote my posts or die
It's apparently less taps to launch "theater" and "arcade" than it is to turn on your loving windshield wipers lol

https://twitter.com/vecchitto/status/1478070396792590337?t=dOJJkgTOt-Yuc-iTiSUoqw&s=19

Polo-Rican has issued a correction as of 19:31 on Jan 3, 2022

nomad2020
Jan 30, 2007

Polo-Rican posted:

It's apparently less taps to launch "theater" and "arcade" than it is to turn on your loving windshield wipers lol

https://twitter.com/vecchitto/status/1478070396792590337?t=dOJJkgTOt-Yuc-iTiSUoqw&s=19

*software engineer in the bay area

"what's the defroster for?"

PeterCat
Apr 8, 2020

Believe women.

Polo-Rican posted:

I'm trying to imagine how horrible it would be if everyone had their own plane instead of people flying on an airliner. You'd have massive amounts of congestion, you wouldn't be able to sleep on the flight, it would be a blight on humanity with the noise and the pollution, and so many people would die.

We've essentially done this with cars, but I don't think the analogy would convince anybody.

Filthy Hans
Jun 27, 2008

by Fluffdaddy

(and can't post for 10 years!)

Polo-Rican posted:

a couple weeks ago it turned out that you could play a video game on your Tesla screen whilst driving and they only removed the feature after public outcry

Filthy Hans
Jun 27, 2008

by Fluffdaddy

(and can't post for 10 years!)

PeterCat posted:

I'm trying to imagine how horrible it would be if everyone had their own plane instead of people flying on an airliner. You'd have massive amounts of congestion, you wouldn't be able to sleep on the flight, it would be a blight on humanity with the noise and the pollution, and so many people would die.

We've essentially done this with cars, but I don't think the analogy would convince anybody.

tons of startups are trying to realize the fantastically practical dream of flying cars

Filthy Hans has issued a correction as of 19:50 on Jan 3, 2022

Tiler Kiwi
Feb 26, 2011
jetsons is actually a dystopia

Bobstar
Feb 8, 2006

KartooshFace, you are not responding efficiently!

PeterCat posted:

It's a good analogy.

It's also why flying cars are a stupid idea. Self-driving (flying?) ones would be slightly less crazy, but still a massive waste of energy defying gravity for no reason.

Tiler Kiwi
Feb 26, 2011
no gods no gravitons

vyelkin
Jan 2, 2011
rich people already have flying cars, they're called helicopters and they use them to avoid traffic and occasionally they crash and explode

PeterCat
Apr 8, 2020

Believe women.

vyelkin posted:

rich people already have flying cars, they're called helicopters and they use them to avoid traffic and occasionally they crash and explode

I fly helicopters for a living. They are dangerous machines even when operated by someone with years of experience. Giving one to everyone is a recipe for mass death.

I did lol at the startup that was touting a large quadracopter drone as the wave of the future for rich guy transport. That'll work till an engine fails, it encounters weather, or it hits a bird and the passenger, who doesn't know how to fly and doesn't have access to any controls, is along for the ride all the way to the crash site.

kliras
Mar 27, 2021
shhh, let's not tip off the rich that their vtol's are death traps

skooma512
Feb 8, 2012

You couldn't grok my race car, but you dug the roadside blur.

PeterCat posted:

I fly helicopters for a living. They are dangerous machines even when operated by someone with years of experience. Giving one to everyone is a recipe for mass death.

I did lol at the startup that was touting a large quadracopter drone as the wave of the future for rich guy transport. That'll work till an engine fails, it encounters weather, or it hits a bird and the passenger, who doesn't know how to fly and doesn't have access to any controls, is along for the ride all the way to the crash site.

The way aircraft are handled in general vs cars is something that the public is not at all ready or willing to handle. Aircraft once they get to a certain number of engine hours legally have to be serviced, every single part is way more expensive due to high quality and traceability. Also pilots actually undergo real testing and medical clearance, it isn't considered a right to be able to fly. Airspaces also only work because of ATC managing just everything in the air.

In contrast cars are operated by people who don't care their headlights are off in the pouring rain at night, if they even work at all, and throw temper tantrums at the drop of a hat because someone was only going 5 over the speed limit in the pouring rain. They got their license because they managed to take it seriously for an hour when they were 17 and nobody gives a gently caress what happens after that.

sat on my keys!
Oct 2, 2014

PeterCat posted:

just kill all the birds (which we're well on our way to doing anyway), bing bong so simple

vyelkin
Jan 2, 2011
Dahir Insaat told me that giant quadcopter drones are the future of everything and who am I to disagree

withak
Jan 15, 2003

Fun Shoe

PeterCat posted:

Bicyclists should bring back puttees!

You just have to tuck your pants into your socks.

distortion park
Apr 25, 2011

vyelkin posted:

it's nuts how oligarchs are able to fly private helicopters over London generating incredible amounts of noise pollution

Dolphin
Dec 5, 2008

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
pretty much anyone can fly a powered chute safely. it would loving suck if everyone had one though

LonsomeSon
Nov 22, 2009

A fishperson in an intimidating hat!

what’s cool about rich person choppers is that their fuel is still leaded and they’re constantly flying around densely populated areas

withak
Jan 15, 2003

Fun Shoe
Do they make airframe parachutes for helicopters?

skooma512
Feb 8, 2012

Kobe just had to get to that game in a helicopter, nobody would have waited for Kobe freakin' Bryant to come via car like everyone else.

In fact it was so critical that the pilot ignored weather conditions and oops controlled flight into terrain.

LonsomeSon
Nov 22, 2009

on the one hand al of that but on the other hand Kobe hated cars and driving so much that he sacrificed his kid’s life to avoid them which i would argue represents a high level of commitment to the ideals of this thread

Centrist Committee
Aug 6, 2019

skooma512 posted:

The way aircraft are handled in general vs cars is something that the public is not at all ready or willing to handle. Aircraft once they get to a certain number of engine hours legally have to be serviced, every single part is way more expensive due to high quality and traceability. Also pilots actually undergo real testing and medical clearance, it isn't considered a right to be able to fly. Airspaces also only work because of ATC managing just everything in the air.

In contrast cars are operated by people who don't care their headlights are off in the pouring rain at night, if they even work at all, and throw temper tantrums at the drop of a hat because someone was only going 5 over the speed limit in the pouring rain. They got their license because they managed to take it seriously for an hour when they were 17 and nobody gives a gently caress what happens after that.

but then you get to Boeing level and none of this really applies anymore

vyelkin
Jan 2, 2011

LonsomeSon posted:

on the one hand al of that but on the other hand Kobe hated cars and driving so much that he sacrificed his kid’s life to avoid them which i would argue represents a high level of commitment to the ideals of this thread

helicopters are the cars of the sky

Cat Puke
Apr 15, 2017

LonsomeSon posted:

what’s cool about rich person choppers is that their fuel is still leaded and they’re constantly flying around densely populated areas

Holy poo poo. I had to look that up

FAA posted:

Aircraft operating on leaded aviation gasoline (avgas) are used for many critical purposes, including business and personal travel,...

loving sky cars. Hate 'em.

Tiler Kiwi
Feb 26, 2011
they're called helicopters cuz they take rich people to hell

e: and marines

Tiler Kiwi has issued a correction as of 21:11 on Jan 3, 2022

LonsomeSon
Nov 22, 2009

vyelkin posted:

helicopters are the cars of the sky

i feel like a child sacrifice is a good apology for this part

skooma512
Feb 8, 2012

Centrist Committee posted:

but then you get to Boeing level and none of this really applies anymore

The planes are still required to be meticulously maintained and flown by people who know what they're doing. That the manufacturer doesn't have to follow laws is just how money works in the US.

Cat Puke
Apr 15, 2017

Tiler Kiwi posted:

🎶 There are no children's art supply stores down in hell,
So you can't buy crayola crayons 🎶

PeterCat
Apr 8, 2020

Believe women.

Tiler Kiwi posted:

Well I fly an ambulance and most of the people I fly do need the quick response of a helicopter.

That said it's a for-profit company and I'm not happy about that but man has to make a living.

For what it's worth the fuel in turbine aircraft don't use lead.

PeterCat has issued a correction as of 22:43 on Jan 3, 2022

Tiler Kiwi
Feb 26, 2011

PeterCat posted:

Well I fly an ambulance and most of the people I fly do need the quick response of a helicopter.

That said it's a for-profit company and I'm not happy about that but man has to make a living.

For what it's worth the fuel in turbine aircraft don't use lead.

that's pretty cool, maybe just throw poo poo out the copter at the cars below if you feel bad at any point

Mr. Sharps
Jul 30, 2006

The only true law is that which leads to freedom. There is no other.

Tiler Kiwi posted:

jetsons is actually a dystopia

they never show you what’s below the clouds (it’s the flintstones)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jokerpilled Drudge
Jan 27, 2010

by Pragmatica

Mr. Sharps posted:

they never show you what’s below the clouds (it’s the flintstones)

kinda weird that they just dont even talk about it