Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Why do you read this thread anyway?
This poll is closed.
I enjoy reading contemporary newspaper comics. 64 26.02%
I hate reading contemporary newspaper comics. 42 17.07%
I enjoy reading historical newspaper comics. 88 35.77%
I enjoy reading newspaper comics from foreign countries. 52 21.14%
Total: 246 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

Evrart Claire
Jan 11, 2008
Today's Safe Havens giving me bad flashbacks to that awful babyspeak in Rose is Rose.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sweaty IT Nerd
Jul 13, 2007

Zerilan posted:

Today's Safe Havens giving me bad flashbacks to that awful babyspeak in Rose is Rose.

If I could only punch one baby

TheMadMilkman
Dec 10, 2007

riderchop posted:

On The Fastrack

Holbrook has a truly remarkable talent. Even when he writes a strip that has the potential to be funny, he always finds a way to ruin it.

Like this could have elicited a mild chuckle with a good third panel, and a mild chuckle from Holbrook would be unheard of. Instead we get this… whatever it is.

Mikl
Nov 8, 2009

Vote shit sandwich or the shit sandwich gets it!
Classic Kevin & Kell in: cars (April 4-10, 2005)

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Gates

Modern Kevin & Kell

Kennel
May 1, 2008

BAWWW-UNH!
Into Ilves

Nancy

Dustin

I AM GRANDO!!

Strontium
Aug 28, 2009

Dexter didn't much care for the party.
Daddy Daze

Take It From the Tinkersons

Macanudo

Dark Side of the Horse

Kazinsal
Dec 13, 2011

Argh, I missed the ground floor of the new thread. Well, uh... fourth floor? :confuoot:

Bit disappointed to see far-right trash comic Dustin continued to be posted but I guess every good thread has to have a flaw. At least we still have Prince Valiant, the collections of which I am currently hunting down (finding them in Canada is kind of a pain).

~Coxy
Dec 9, 2003

R.I.P. Inter-OS Sass - b.2000AD d.2003AD

ChickenOfTomorrow posted:

Sally Forth has a lot of words, but I like those words, so I like Sally Forth.

I appreciate the portrait video bit even if today's mixed-up teens are too dumb to really know that.

Howard Beale
Feb 22, 2001

It's like this, Peanut

~Coxy posted:

I appreciate the portrait video bit even if today's mixed-up teens are too dumb to really know that.

It still matters to Hillary, she's all about putting on a good show.

Medenmath
Jan 18, 2003
Vintage Valiant (Jan. 30, 1949)

manero
Jan 30, 2006

Nancy 1947

Mikl
Nov 8, 2009

Medenmath posted:

Vintage Valiant (Jan. 30, 1949)

Comic Strips 2022: The Acid Continues to Work

The_Other
Dec 28, 2012

Welcome Back, Galaxy Geek.
So I've been posting Steeple, a webcomic by John Allison that updates Mondays, Wednesdays, and Fridays. Allison is probably best known for his various Tackleford comics that he's been writing on and off for the past twenty-odd years (Bobbins, Scary-Go-Round, Bad Machinery, and Giant Days, as well as several smaller titles). In late 2019 he released Steeple, a 5 issue print comic set in the fictional Cornish town of Tredregyn which, like Tackleford, has it's share of supernatural creatures that menace it, as well as a rivalry between the local Christian and Satanic churches. In mid 2020 Allison started a webcomic picking up were the print series left off and did three more stories, The Silvery Moon, Secret Sentai, and Christmas with Clovis, which I didn't post in these threads. If you want to read the first 5 issues your going to have to buy the collected volume 1 (here's a link to the Comixology site if you want to buy it digitally). However here is a two page summary Allison did for the collected volume 2, which you can also buy from Comixology

I started posting Steeple in the forums in 2021, when Allison did a crossover comic Author Unknown?, that had two of his Tackleford characters, Shelly Winters and Lottie Grote, visit Tredregyn. Based off the positive response I got I continued posting the next story, Clotted Crime, in the thread. Since we're in part 4 of 4, here is a brief summary of the story thus far;

Steeple: Clotted Crime Part 1 – Brassic Seeking a job, unpaid trainee Satanic priestess Billie Baker performs a ritual to Baphomet asking for help finding work. Not wanting to be selfish however, she also asks for jobs for anyone else in Tredregyn who needs them. This may have caused a record-breaking hailstorm to devastate every town in southwest England (Cornwall and Devon) except for Tredregyn, which then becomes the filming location for the mystery TV series Clotted Crime. Meanwhile Rev. Penrose of the Church of England has to decide what to do with the belongings of the late Jason, the curate who served the rectory before Billie arrived. Mrs. Clovis, the housekeeper, suggests he holds a vigil in Jason's memory

Steeple: Clotted Crime Part 2 - Two Backs Billie and her best friend, Maggie Warren, are now working as extras on the set of Clotted Crime. After filming one day the two of them meet up with Rupert, a handsome but vapid actor on the show, and Billie begins a short term relationship with him. Billies housemates from the Church of Satan, Magus Tom and Warlock Brian, attempt to recruit the TV staff to the Satanic church, however they encounter an organization called Poseidon already doing just that. Tom identifies Poseidon as being the work of Maggie's estranged father, Bob Warren. At the same Penrose has found a cache of sea-devil eggs underneath one of the docks. He tries to destroy them but is stopped by Maggie. Later Maggie tells Billie that she has been invited to her father's 60th birthday party. Billie urges Maggie to go and says she will come with her for support.

Steeple: Clotted Crime Part 3 – Daddy Maggie and Billie attend Bob Warren's birthday party. Maggie reveals to Billie that her father used to be a Tory minister before getting himself embroiled in scandal (note, was Maggie named after Thatcher?). After leaving politics, Bob Warren turned to Satanism (a lateral move, to be sure) initially under the tutelage of Magus Tom. Maggie also reveals that the Tredregyn Satanic church is an unauthorized offshoot and her father's Poseiden organization is part of mainstream Satanism. Bob Warren separates Maggie from Billie and tries to use a ritual to turn Maggie back to the Satanic fold, but is stopped by Penrose, who had been called there by Billie.

Penrose had, with the help of Mrs. Clovis and Brian, been able to charm the sea-devil so as to relocate her eggs somewhere away from the town. Clovis and Brian are able to successfully transfer the eggs after Penrose leave to rescue Maggie. Part 3 ends with something riding out of the sea on Maggie's old Harley (which had been submerged in issue 5 of the comic).

Steeple: Clotted Crime Part 4 – Jason Several weeks have gone by and filming has finished up on Clotted Crime. While walking to the vigil being held for Jason, Billie wonders how she will handle Rupert leaving. At the vigil she learns that Jason had tried to arrive a some accord with the various Mermen that menace the rectory at night (just like Billie did in issue 2). This backfired, with the Mermen attacking the rectory en masse and killing Jason. While being comforted by Billie, Penrose admits that he thinks he's going mad, as he has been seeing Jason everywhere for the few weeks. This is probably in reference to the creature lurking in background in several panels of part 4, presumably the same creature that emerged form the sea at the end of part 3. This creature might be some sort of zombiefied / mockery version of Jason, conjured by Bob Warren.

Speaking of Jason, here's today's Steeple: Clotted Crime Part 4 – Jason comic page

If you want to send some money Allison's way, he has a Patreon here. Note that if you pledge $3 or more you get a pdf of the full comics when he starts posting them.

He also has a Gumroad store, where you can buy pdfs collections of his Scary-go-Round and New Bobbins comics, as well as several other small comics Allison has done over the years. I recommend Murder She Writes, a murder mystery staring a 12-year-old Lottie Grote.

Also here is a link to the Steeple website.

Sorry for the long post.

The_Other fucked around with this message at 18:52 on Jan 3, 2022

Selachian
Oct 9, 2012

Buni

Rhymes with Orange

Get Fuzzy 1/2/02

Brenda Starr 11/27-29/47

(Princess Elizabeth had been in the news lately because she'd just married Prince Philip.)

Smokey Stover 5/27/45

Everyday Movies 9/15/34

davidspackage
May 16, 2007

Nap Ghost

manero posted:

Nancy 1947

You are beautiful, no matter what they say

Drakyn
Dec 26, 2012

Mikl posted:

Classic Kevin & Kell in: cars (April 4-10, 2005)

Ah yes, pufferfish as snacks. By all means, go ahead.

Powered Descent
Jul 13, 2008

We haven't had that spirit here since 1969.

Bizarro

The Family Circus

Samovar
Jun 4, 2011

I'm 😤 not a 🦸🏻‍♂️hero...🧜🏻

In today's Blueberry: Prosit knows any good campfire needs a good ghost story as well, or Chekov's rattlesnake, or It came from that grassy sandy knoll!

Murdstone
Jun 14, 2005

I'm feeling Jimmy

F Minus

That's a good deal.

Mark Trail

Mary Worth

Estelle: Run.

The Phantom

Pooch Cafe

Rex Morgan MD

Andertoons catchup

The guy with the mustache makes this one for me.

Apartment 3-G

Hwurmp
May 20, 2005

Powered Descent posted:

The Family Circus

Kennel
May 1, 2008

BAWWW-UNH!

How Wonderful!
Jul 18, 2006

I only have excellent ideas
Dykes to Watch Out For #144, Alison Bechdel (1992)

Mo broke up with her live-in girlfriend Harriet a few strips ago, or, uh, early 2021 in BSS time. This was over a number of things but it basically played into where Bechdel is at overall at this point in the strip in general and this strip in particular, which is that the characters she introduced as furious and radical lesbians in their early twenties are all careening into their thirties and having to figure out what that means. Mo is the last hold-out of a lot of the original characterization of the cast-- vegan, fiercely anti-establishment, a bit of a Luddite and a Puritan especially compared to the very sex-positive Lois. So as we enter the 90s she is more frequently played as kind of a fuddy duddy.

If you are younger, or very straight, you might be raising an eyebrow at the idea of sex clubs in 1992, at the height of the AIDS crisis. Well, life finds a way, and in many places "a way" equaled ACT UP members handing out safe sex kits at clubs or people finding comparatively safe ways to have sex at the clubs. Check out Jeremy Atherton Lin's 2021 study Gay Bar: Why We Went Out for a deeper look at the history of gay nightlife. Here's a fun and informative interview with San Francisco Sentinel photographer Melissa Hawkins about that era.

Mo is listening to k.d. lang's album Ingenue, specifically the ninth track, "Tears of Love's Recall." Ingenue released on March 13th so we have a bit of a pin there for making a guess at roughly when this strip was drawn. lang came out as a lesbian in a June,1992 interview in The Advocate, the oldest and biggest queer periodical in the US-- I dunno if this strip predates that actual public milestone, but from what I've gathered talking to older queer people it was not exactly a shock within the community. Basically Ingenue is an extremely Mo album to sit around listening to in a mope.

Anyway here's "Tears of Love's Recall" for any unfortunate goons who are going through it Mo-style:

El Spamo
Aug 21, 2003

Fuss and misery

Murdstone posted:

Mary Worth

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SY7kx-ir6Ag

Never not appropriate

Alhazred
Feb 16, 2011

Zofie's World

Herman the Heathen

Yvonmukluk
Oct 10, 2012

Everything is Sinister

Bad Machinery

John Allison posted:

Poor old Blossom. Shauna has rearranged her world beyond all recognition.
You'll always have dragons, Blossom. You'll always have dragons.

John Allison posted:

Shauna may seem a little cold in today's comic, but remember that her sincere entreat for help was met with an un-chivalrous demand for dates and hand-holds (and one pash). Summary requests for faux-romance do not quicken a lady's heart.

This was two 3=panel strips for the original webcomic run, hence two bits of commentary.

My Lovely Horse
Aug 21, 2010

Vater und Sohn: The shot putter is an Olympics guest

1936 politics are showing through again. The Summer Olympics in Berlin were taken as a huge propaganda opportunity, and the Nazis were very keen on them, so much like the Winterhilfe in an earlier strip (you remember: the no-Jewish-recipients forced charity), Erich Ohser was made to advertise the Olympic games in the two weeks leading up to the event. I think he managed it quite well, though. It's much more Vater und Sohn with an Olympics background than an Olympics comic with Vater und Sohn shoved in.

I'm not sure if it's supposed to be a particular athlete. Berlin policeman Hans Woellke did win gold, breaking the record held by Jack Torrance (no relation, one presumes), but I don't know if he was handled as the clear favourite or what, and it might very well just be a generic athlete figure.

My Lovely Horse fucked around with this message at 19:45 on Jan 3, 2022

Vargo
Dec 27, 2008

'Cuz it's KILLIN' ME!

Murdstone posted:

Mark Trail

Doesn't this dude hate Mark? Is he the guy Mark stole the laptop from? Or the guy that put him in a livestream boxing match? Or both?

Murdstone posted:

Mary Worth

I still think Moy and Brigman are playing the long game but it's too goddamn long at this point. Damage is well done. Whoever it was that said just because Moy/Brigman know exactly what they're doing doesn't mean we'll get any narrative satisfaction was exactly right.

Murdstone posted:

Rex Morgan MD

This is a civil suit at best! Why would this have a major press conference? Why does anyone give a poo poo?!

Alhazred posted:

Zofie's World

I wasn't sold on Zofie's World at first but this one got me.
Do you have any more of The Good Invader? I really liked that strip.

Breaking Cat News

Phoebe and Her Unicorn

Wallace the Brave

Curtis

Potsticker
Jan 14, 2006

what is pash?

Murdstone
Jun 14, 2005

I'm feeling Jimmy

Vargo posted:

Doesn't this dude hate Mark? Is he the guy Mark stole the laptop from? Or the guy that put him in a livestream boxing match? Or both?
Both. I think he's just the type who if he needs something from you he's going to pretend everything's great.

Selachian
Oct 9, 2012

Potsticker posted:

what is pash?

A kiss, particularly of the big sloppy type.

Mikl
Nov 8, 2009

Murdstone posted:

Rex Morgan MD

"And of course you have solid proof that your drawings were made years ago and not, like, ten minutes ago, right before the press conference, right?"

Seriously this is dumb. Why are they even listening to this guy?

The Bloop
Jul 5, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

Potsticker posted:

what is pash?

Smol kees.

Hwurmp
May 20, 2005

Potsticker posted:

what is pash?

snog

Potsticker
Jan 14, 2006

Selachian posted:

A kiss, particularly of the big sloppy type.

The Bloop posted:

Smol kees.

Thank you friends.

Haifisch
Nov 13, 2010

Objection! I object! That was... objectionable!

Taco Defender
2018 Spiderman

1979 comics

Locher Tracy

Origins of the Sunday Comics

Footrot Flats

The Lockhorns

Mandrake

Johnny Hazard

90s Overboard

Powered Descent
Jul 13, 2008

We haven't had that spirit here since 1969.

Haifisch posted:

Origins of the Sunday Comics

Now that's a seriously cool art style, and suddenly I'm wondering what other other strips that have been done in a medium other than ink on paper (or the modern digital equivalent).

EBB
Feb 15, 2005

Mary Worth is giving me the vapors

MiracleFlare
Mar 27, 2012

Murdstone posted:

Mary Worth

Luckily I still have the links saved from when I showed some friends: The last time Estelle thought about marriage with Wilbur, about two years ago and shortly after he ruined a double date out of drunken jealousy that his ex (that he dumped for a younger hotter woman) now had a younger hotter man.

Unfortunately the storyline was all downhill from here as Wilbur determined that his problems were solely the fault of alcohol and not any of his numerous terrible personality traits, and Mary convinced Estelle to take him back because something something everyone's got flaws. I have little hope here, too.

MiracleFlare fucked around with this message at 21:05 on Jan 3, 2022

Presto
Nov 22, 2002

Keep calm and Harry on.

Murdstone posted:

Mary Worth

Holding out hope for a Poseidon Adventure scenario.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

Libby is definitely sending nightmares to Estelle. That's a cat power we don't talk about.