Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Ibblebibble
Nov 12, 2013

I should get back to OSRS, I started playing it during the pre-Endwalker lull but haven't done much with it since EW launch outside of the Christmas event.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rosalind
Apr 30, 2013

When we hit our lowest point, we are open to the greatest change.

Fate Accomplice posted:

are you by chance left handed?

I am, and quick accurate movements with my right thumb are super difficult.

I wish I could say that was it, but no I just suck at aiming using a controller.

bewilderment
Nov 22, 2007
man what

I had a big long post about FF14 for prospective new players that I was typing up and is now lost. So instead I'll cut it down to:

FF14 is a giant long JRPG where the first 40-ish hours are the worst part of it - even if you find it decent instead of mediocre.
Yet at the same time, the game is unfun if treated as a 'rush to endgame', or even as a 'rush to Heavensward'. The game wants to engage with it, to unlock all the optional dungeons and do them, and so on.

It is the most Final Fantasy.

I think that's the right way to look at it. Bad food analogy:
If getting into a slick ten-hour story-driven indie game is like eating a perfect steak dinner, getting into FF14 is deciding that you would like to eat four entire Christmas roasts, one after the other, no matter how long it takes you.

Levin
Jun 28, 2005

These kick rear end, thanks for sharing! Failed to get in under the deadline but glad the thread exists and grateful to those who put so much thought into their lists.

ChrisBTY
Mar 29, 2012

this glorious monument

bewilderment posted:

I had a big long post about FF14 for prospective new players that I was typing up and is now lost. So instead I'll cut it down to:

FF14 is a giant long JRPG where the first 40-ish hours are the worst part of it - even if you find it decent instead of mediocre.
Yet at the same time, the game is unfun if treated as a 'rush to endgame', or even as a 'rush to Heavensward'. The game wants to engage with it, to unlock all the optional dungeons and do them, and so on.

It is the most Final Fantasy.

I think that's the right way to look at it. Bad food analogy:
If getting into a slick ten-hour story-driven indie game is like eating a perfect steak dinner, getting into FF14 is deciding that you would like to eat four entire Christmas roasts, one after the other, no matter how long it takes you.

But the first one is leftovers that are dry and tough from being in the fridge for too long.

Booky
Feb 21, 2013

Chill Bug

Stux posted:

this ithread is now for talking about old school runescape. the pheonix pet in my post is a 1/5000 drop and i love it. what color should i make it:

purple

Amp
Sep 10, 2010

:11tea::bubblewoop::agesilaus::megaman::yoshi::squawk::supaburn::iit::spooky::axe::honked::shroom::smugdog::sg::pkmnwhy::parrot::screamy::tubular::corsair::sanix::yeeclaw::hayter::flip::redflag:

Ibblebibble
Nov 12, 2013

The 7th Guest posted:

i forgot to include it in my graphics but these are the games on my list that are on Gamepass if you want to give them a try:

Psychonauts, Recompile, Flynn: Son of Crimson, Unpacking, The Gunk, Unsighted, The Forgotten City, Subnautica: Below Zero, Echo Generation, Backbone, Deedlit in Wonder Labyrinth, Mind Scanners, Last Stop, The Good Life, Mighty Goose, Library of Ruina, Omno, Boyfriend Dungeon, Halo Infinite, Moonglow Bay, Scarlet Nexus

and this was my favorite video game track of 2021

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ux3HGFb2HTg

followed by

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tQjUHtkN7MU

Thanks, I didn't know about Unbeatable until now so I gave it a whirl and had a lot of fun.

Looper
Mar 1, 2012
I'm bad at unbeatable but the music and style are incredible

YoshiOfYellow
Aug 21, 2015

Voted #1 Babysitter in Mushroom Kingdom

I'd like to thank the many posters that sung the praises of Forgotten City here. I picked it up on the many recommendations and am completely enthralled with it.

Real hurthling!
Sep 11, 2001

Dang this deedlit would have made my list.
gently caress metroid vs this
It ownz

Barudak
May 7, 2007

Deedlit in Wonderlanyrinth is good stuff, team ladybug makes bangers

Shinji2015
Aug 31, 2007
Keen on the hygiene and on the mission like a super technician.

Barudak posted:

Deedlit in Wonderlanyrinth is good stuff, team ladybug makes bangers

In the past couple of months I've played Bloodstained, Ender Lillies, and am in the middle of Blasphemous right now. Deedlit's on my list to play, but I'm going to have to take a break from Metroidvanias before I tackle it; Blasphemous is great, but I'm definitely starting to feel a bit of burnout from the MV formula

BeanpolePeckerwood
May 4, 2004

I MAY LOOK LIKE SHIT BUT IM ALSO DUMB AS FUCK

Jay Rust posted:

(I'll be honest I skimmed through every FFXIV write-up )

:same:

Rarity
Oct 21, 2010

~*4 LIFE*~
I read every word of every list and they were all good :hai:

BeanpolePeckerwood
May 4, 2004

Rarity posted:

I read every word of every list and they were all good :hai:

I'm glad SOMEBODY is driving this thing :sweatdrop:

VideoGames
Aug 18, 2003
I did not read stuff about FFXIV (or games I have on my backlog) because I want to experience them as blind as possible.

BeanpolePeckerwood
May 4, 2004

VideoGames posted:

I did not read stuff about FFXIV (or games I have on my backlog) because I want to experience them as blind as possible.

^^^^^

code:
  7 8

Rarity
Oct 21, 2010

~*4 LIFE*~

BeanpolePeckerwood posted:

I'm glad SOMEBODY is driving this thing :sweatdrop:

Actually this is a lie, I didn't read stuff behind spoiler tags because I want to play these games some day. Please accept my apologies, I hope we can all get through this together, namaste

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

you all better have read my post about blaze union.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iT2KXrVBwRQ

Rarity
Oct 21, 2010

~*4 LIFE*~
I just had to look up something in the first GOTY thread and that thread only went 9 pages. It's crazy how much bigger this thing's grown :catstare:

Stux
Nov 17, 2006
Probation
Can't post for 5 hours!
reading posts is against my beliefs

ChrisBTY
Mar 29, 2012

this glorious monument

Also: Wooden Ocean has a (somewhat complete) Triple Triad clone.
This is apropos of nothing.
And when I beat it the dev was working on populating a giant city he had made.
If he ever finishes it I'll have to start a new game to see it because the ending is behind a point of no return and you can't make backup saves.

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

Stux I read your Old School Runescape review and it made me want to give it a shot one day. What makes RS3 so much worse, out of curiosity? I was sorta interested in the Dungeoneering skill but I saw that's only in RS3 and if the rest of the game kinda sucks then that's obviously not worth it.

Stux
Nov 17, 2006
Probation
Can't post for 5 hours!
depending on what you want you might like rs3 more. my main problem is thsat xp is much easier to come by, theres daily things that throw xp lamps at you etc and everything levels faster anyway, which i found extremely unsatisfying in a number go up game. but also osrs might be too grindy for other people so maybe rs3 is better if you dont want that. probably give both a try and see which pace you prefer. oh also rs3 has mtx stuff whereas osrs' only monetization is if you get the sub/bond or not.

Stux
Nov 17, 2006
Probation
Can't post for 5 hours!
oh and i dont like the combat in rs3

Skjorte
Jul 5, 2010

ChrisBTY posted:

Also: Wooden Ocean has a (somewhat complete) Triple Triad clone.
This is apropos of nothing.
And when I beat it the dev was working on populating a giant city he had made.
If he ever finishes it I'll have to start a new game to see it because the ending is behind a point of no return and you can't make backup saves.

The card game is pretty rough (the developer's obsession with maths and numbers means there's way more cards than there needs to be; it'd probably be presentable and complete by now had there been just a fraction of the cards), but I appreciate that the Poetry of Blood demon guardians are like, "wanna fight about it, or settle it over a game of cards?" That's how I stumbled upon a good enough weapon to actually start winning -any- battles in the later-game areas I'd mistakenly bumbling around in for the first several hours of chapter 2.

I believe the Undercity will be finished this year, along with a chapter 7 that''ll be like a prequel that ties in/finally fleshes out the Steam trailer. He's had -- and still has -- stuff planned out years in advance since putting out the v1 version on Itch.io half a decade ago and seems to hit his marks more often than not, so there should be new stuff to check out.

There's been some weird systems updates lately. Gotta respect the vision to work on a thing for this long and still be churning out real weird stuff like these notes from January 1st:

Wooden Ocean's latest patch notes posted:

Wind elemental party members are now slightly resistant
to clutter.
Thread and psychic elemental party members are now slightly
resistant to environmental romanticism.
Tripled environmental buildup for high visibility skills.
High visibility now decays back to area's visibility. (this
regression is 5 times stronger if the room is too bright)

Looper
Mar 1, 2012
i forgot to actually post them until now but my honorable mentions are:

fire emblem project ember: incredibly good love letter to when fire emblem was at its best, would've def made the list but i'm not done
deltarune ch 2: i wanna wait for the whole game to be finished
knuckles chaotix: horrible level design but the slingshot tether gimmick really clicked and the garish 32x colors speak to me

Longpig Bard
Dec 29, 2004

My favorites of the year

9. G-String (2020)
Deep Cut Choice. Contamination has made a city deadly to humans. Now the population consists mostly of dilapidated sex bots roaming around. You must escape.
Basically one person made this game over 10 years, that has a similar feel to the dystopia of Half-Life 2. It was a good experience with a few excellent "tram rides". #9Scratches that abandoned/subterranean/industrial exploration/walking-sim itch I have.

8. The Room 4: Old Sins
The formula didn't change from the previous Rooms, but this one combined the best of the previous three. The sets look great, and the puzzles are puzzlier. Nice to see steady improvement.

7. STAR WARS Jedi: Fallen Order (2019)
Fun universe to crawl around, see #9. Unreal Engine 4 showcase. It was a fun time.

6. Shadow of the Tomb Raider (2018)
This is just a bunch of fun Indiana Jones stuff. It made me reminisce of old Temple of Doom games, now 5 year old me knows what they would look like in the future.

5. Project Wingman (2020)
I set the controls to handle on keyboard and mouse how I like it in Battlefield 4, which I'm the poo poo at, and felt right at home. Arcade jet fighter along the same vein as Ace Combat. I love the music kicking in while you're fighting 20 things and dodging missiles. The anxiety I get when flying through rain clouds along the tops of mountain tops and can't see a loving thing is horror-game quality.

4. Sable
A chill explorer (see #9), that feels like the shrines in Breath of the Wild. Everything looks like it was rendered on 1990 era CorelDraw.

3. Ghostrunner (2020)
Adrenaline game. I wasn't content just stumbling through some levels, so I would replay them to beat them faster. Then I would replay them because I had to do it fast, kill all the enemies, and make it look cool too. So it had a lot of replayability for me.

2. Everhood
It has its own subtle twists on rhythm games, meaning you're not necessarily trying to be on time with the notes, but learning to slip between them, survive them, fight them, then you're Neo.

1. Psychonauts 2
It was funny, weird, cute, drugs, and looked like a Pixar movie at times.

Longpig Bard fucked around with this message at 07:46 on Jan 5, 2022

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Would you be my new best friends?

unzin posted:

1. Psychonauts 2
It was funny, weird, cute, drugs, and looked like a Pixar movie at times.

I'm going to be sad when Psychonauts 2 loses 1st place by 209 points because this list came in late. :smith:

Levin
Jun 28, 2005

Jerusalem posted:

I'm going to be sad mad when Psychonauts 2 Disco Elysium loses 1st place

Rarity
Oct 21, 2010

~*4 LIFE*~

:hmmyes:

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Levin posted:

Disco Elysium

Sekiro: Now you know how it feels! :argh:

BeanpolePeckerwood
May 4, 2004

It's okay, we still got this

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UOmdhofNzDM

:3:

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

"We will continue to make the best games we possibly can."

Elden Ring GOTY 2022 100% confirmed. :hellyeah:

Thursday Next
Jan 11, 2004

FUCK THE ISLE OF APPLES. FUCK THEM IN THEIR STUPID ASSES.
Edit: nm, taking to a different thread based on these types of games

ChrisBTY
Mar 29, 2012

this glorious monument

I hope my favorite game of 2022 winds up on the top 10 next year.
I also hope Project Triangle Strategy is my favorite game of 2022.

Play
Apr 25, 2006

Strong stroll for a mangy stray
decided to pick up GOTG during this sale and man. it's pretty fucken good for a straightforward narrative game with touches of action. pretty incredible to get a single player story-driven MCU (or is it the other one? I don't care) game with no multiplayer, no grind, no pay to win, and no ability to buy anything after you get the game period

I really really hope it's a sign of a things to come and that it did well and that devs and publishers take note that there is still a huge and profitable market for high budget, famous IP single player experiences

Probably wouldn't have made my GOTY list but it might've, haven't finished it yet

Chairchucker
Nov 14, 2006

to ride eternal, shiny and chrome

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2022

Play posted:

MCU (or is it the other one? I don't care) game

Marvel but not MCU

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jay Rust
Sep 27, 2011

GOTC