Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
(Thread IKs: bunnyofdoom)

B33rChiller
Aug 18, 2011

Might be people chasing quick and easy money in highly speculative markets.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lead out in cuffs
Sep 18, 2012

"That's right. We've evolved."

"I can see that. Cool mutations."

McGavin posted:

I'm lucky I got married in the before times, but then my wife and I had our first kid in January 2020. :shepicide:

Yeah had ours in October 2020. But really small kids are probably the easiest for lockdown - for the first few months you're in survival mode anyway, and it's not like they have a huge circle of friends that won't get to see.

Now fingers crossed we can have our wedding this summer...

Crow Buddy
Oct 30, 2019

Guillotines?!? We don't need no stinking guillotines!

Femtosecond posted:

There's some sort of Realtor -> Bitcoin/NFT -> Anti-vaxx pipeline going on. Seen in amongst realtor Vancouver RE bulls too.

I dunno maybe there's some thing where for a while they were a rare RE bull amidst so many calls of a housing bubble, and in 2020/2021 they've seen housing rip and their side interest in Bitcoin, which media also says is a scam, also do great. Now they think they're some sort of outsider genius, and are skeptical of all the other things that the mainstream is saying. Mainstream media was wrong about Re/bitcoin right?

Or maybe they're just stupid and realtor is a profession for stupid people.

Not sure there needs to be an "Or maybe" here.

Certainly a lot of it is just chasing gains where everything is speculative in the first place.

mom and dad fight a lot
Sep 21, 2006
Probation
Can't post for 18 days!

St. Dogbert posted:

It is very stressful, which is why we’re not rescheduling again - we’ll have a quickie ceremony in a park on Saturday, and that will be the end of it. We don’t see the point of re-planning everything and paying out of pocket to make sure all our vendors are booked and to invite everyone again, only to have it cancelled in a year’s time because Ford still won’t have taken any of the steps recommended by public health to make things safer (those may cost money, after all - locking down doesn’t cost him a thing!).

Have your reception in a couple years when things (hopefully) are more "normal".

Lead out in cuffs
Sep 18, 2012

Lol I've had a a sore throat, congestion and feverishness for most of the last week. Couldn't get a COVID test because the test sites were shut down for the cold. Today they just reopened the test site in Vancouver, and the site with wait times said it was only a 40 minute wait. So I took the car and drove over there. There was a line of cars stretching at least seven blocks. I just measured on the map, and it was at least 1.5km long. I gave up before I could even find the end of it.

So yeah, doesn't look like testing is even really possible in Vancouver any more.

Mr. Mercury
Aug 13, 2021

Lead out in cuffs posted:

Lol I've had a a sore throat, congestion and feverishness for most of the last week. Couldn't get a COVID test because the test sites were shut down for the cold. Today they just reopened the test site in Vancouver, and the site with wait times said it was only a 40 minute wait. So I took the car and drove over there. There was a line of cars stretching at least seven blocks. I just measured on the map, and it was at least 1.5km long. I gave up before I could even find the end of it.

So yeah, doesn't look like testing is even really possible in Vancouver any more.

VCH was dogshit terrible in the weather, it's mystifying how different FH was. They were still understaffed, but at least Burnaby/tricities/Surrey was relatively humming

It's too bad nothing at all could be done about it... or attempted.

ARACHTION
Mar 10, 2012

I went this morning and they are only handing out one single rapid test. The key is to park a couple blocks away and go as a walk-in ;).

No PCR testing seems to be done at all. If negative, they advise to stay at home anyways even if you get worse. There is apparently no point in actually confirming you have COVID. Hopefully we’ll have a means to upload a positive fast result in our medical charts!

Morale is low and this was in the first 20 minutes the testing site was opened after being closed for half a week ahahahah. The nurse screamed at me for coming to get tested today saying “We told you not to come back even if you get worse!!”.

No one ever told me anything as I used one of my own tests I bought online haha. You used to be told to come back if worse, but that was before the collapse of our testing system, I guess. You used to also be told to not do your own contact tracing, but now the bc cdc sheet tells you to call up everyone you know. I know contact tracing was never seriously conducted, but the responsibility is now entirely offloaded onto the citizen.

Honestly, when people upthread were debating whether China cares for its citizens or not, I can’t say I feel particularly cared for in this “You’re on your own, loser!” strategy that seems to have been rolled out across the country.

Precambrian Video Games
Aug 19, 2002

Femtosecond posted:

There's some sort of Realtor -> Bitcoin/NFT -> Anti-vaxx pipeline going on. Seen in amongst realtor Vancouver RE bulls too.

So can I buy an NFT of a house or what?

linoleum floors
Mar 25, 2012

Please. Let me tell you all about how you're all idiots. I am of superior intellect here. Go suck some dicks. You have all fucking stupid opinions. This is my fucking opinion.

ARACHTION posted:

I went this morning and they are only handing out one single rapid test. The key is to park a couple blocks away and go as a walk-in ;).

No PCR testing seems to be done at all. If negative, they advise to stay at home anyways even if you get worse. There is apparently no point in actually confirming you have COVID. Hopefully we’ll have a means to upload a positive fast result in our medical charts!

Morale is low and this was in the first 20 minutes the testing site was opened after being closed for half a week ahahahah. The nurse screamed at me for coming to get tested today saying “We told you not to come back even if you get worse!!”.

No one ever told me anything as I used one of my own tests I bought online haha. You used to be told to come back if worse, but that was before the collapse of our testing system, I guess. You used to also be told to not do your own contact tracing, but now the bc cdc sheet tells you to call up everyone you know. I know contact tracing was never seriously conducted, but the responsibility is now entirely offloaded onto the citizen.

Honestly, when people upthread were debating whether China cares for its citizens or not, I can’t say I feel particularly cared for in this “You’re on your own, loser!” strategy that seems to have been rolled out across the country.

It's super hosed up, as if a proper diagnosis is not the cornerstone of medical treatment.

This is the point were at now, if people want to know what medical system collapse looks like. This is it.

Alctel
Jan 16, 2004

I love snails

linoleum floors posted:

It's super hosed up, as if a proper diagnosis is not the cornerstone of medical treatment.

This is the point were at now, if people want to know what medical system collapse looks like. This is it.

It's pretty hosed, but nowhere near a medical system collapse.

That's what India on their Delta surge and NY on the first surge looked like. It's really really bad.

linoleum floors
Mar 25, 2012

Please. Let me tell you all about how you're all idiots. I am of superior intellect here. Go suck some dicks. You have all fucking stupid opinions. This is my fucking opinion.

Alctel posted:

It's pretty hosed, but nowhere near a medical system collapse.

That's what India on their Delta surge and NY on the first surge looked like. It's really really bad.

Nah, it doesn't have to be running out of oxygen. Now it's running out of nurses, doctors, lab technicians. It's the same thing but you can't take shocking photos of people slowly dying at home.

Wistful of Dollars
Aug 25, 2009

eXXon posted:

I'll draw you a picture of a house and sell it to you for $10.

Lead out in cuffs
Sep 18, 2012

ARACHTION posted:

Hopefully we’ll have a means to upload a positive fast result in our medical charts!

That's the thing, though -- the fast tests have never been clinical grade. The same is true for e.g. pregnancy tests, or rapid HIV antibody tests (which have been a thing for about 20 years). It's not something a doctor would want to act on, beyond ordering a more accurate test, and it's not all that useful in your charts.

(I should add that I'm not a physician, and am open to being corrected on this.)

And yeah, it is hella frustrating that they didn't put money into expanding test capacity, especially in the lead-up to omicron.

ARACHTION
Mar 10, 2012

It really kills me the fanboy/fangirl thing following Dr. Bonnie Henry. Like can’t you just keep your bullshit hero worship to the marvel universe?! The gently caress?

Like the entire BC strategy has been to deliberately undercount cases to justify schools are safe and pray we’d get as lucky in the 1st wave and get more book deals. Bare loving minimum the whole time tbh, contact tracing done has always been ineffective theatre.

If you do nothing to prepare and nothing happens, you can be praised as the effective leader who calmly led us through the storm. If poo poo hits the fan, “well how were we supposed to know? We all need a booster of kindness! These drat youths are ruining it for the rest of us!”

Madkal
Feb 11, 2008

Fallen Rib
Feel free to read any comment section if you feel like Henry isn't getting enough hate.

Furnaceface
Oct 21, 2004

Madkal posted:

Feel free to read any comment section if you feel like Henry isn't getting enough hate.

Or any post made here by someone living in BC. :v:

Mr. Mercury
Aug 13, 2021

Yeah DBH can... I dunno, do something other than what she's currently doing

Still can't believe that Ontario is doing more than BC, or that Alberta has better data, etc

mom and dad fight a lot
Sep 21, 2006
Probation
Can't post for 18 days!

Mr. Mercury posted:

Still can't believe that Ontario is doing more than BC, or that Alberta has better data, etc

It's mindblowing how the tables have turned. The real crime though is having less reliable data. We can't fight this thing blind.

PT6A
Jan 5, 2006

Public school teachers are callous dictators who won't lift a finger to stop children from peeing in my plane
Arguably, at this point, we can very much fight this thing blind, because we're in such a hosed position that detailed data isn't going to meaningfully change our course of action.

There's huge numbers of cases everywhere, a positivity rate of 30%, etc. As long as this continues to be the case, is more testing really going to help? It's going to reinforce what we already know, which is that there's tons of people with COVID all over the loving place. What we need is immediate measures to try and reduce the spread, and a testing system that allows us to tell when it's actually having an effect -- I'm not sure the raw numbers really matter any more, the wastewater data is probably equally effective at letting us know the general trend of the pandemic.

Faffel
Dec 31, 2008

A bouncy little mouse!

I have gotten the vibe for a while that Henry's "bias towards optimism" is just emotional cowardice combined with most likely having hands tied behind her back due to no goverment wanting to do anything impactful. It's not really a condemnation or an excuse but it's really frustrating to see, because a "bias towards optimism" in the context we're living in just means a refusal to truly accept the magnitude of what we're going through. The omicron response is a complete gamble and the only way to run a gamble like that is with a willful refusal to really think about what you're doing or impacting.

ChickenDoodle
Oct 22, 2020

St. Dogbert posted:

So - who’s got two thumbs and just had his wedding cancelled for the second consecutive year?

My sympathies. I had a terrible premonition about getting married in 2020 and actually moved my wedding up a year to June 2019. I was worried about my father (he old and you never know), but then Covid came along and I was like “dodged that loving bullet”. It did cancel my April 2020 honeymoon to the EU though. Still haven’t had a proper one. :smith:

Furnaceface posted:

Or any post made here by someone living in BC. :v:

I feel personally attacked by Bonnie Henry, Adrian Dix, and John Horgan on a daily basis

ChickenDoodle fucked around with this message at 05:06 on Jan 4, 2022

PT6A
Jan 5, 2006

Public school teachers are callous dictators who won't lift a finger to stop children from peeing in my plane

Faffel posted:

I have gotten the vibe for a while that Henry's "bias towards optimism" is just emotional cowardice combined with most likely having hands tied behind her back due to no goverment wanting to do anything impactful. It's not really a condemnation or an excuse but it's really frustrating to see, because a "bias towards optimism" in the context we're living in just means a refusal to truly accept the magnitude of what we're going through. The omicron response is a complete gamble and the only way to run a gamble like that is with a willful refusal to really think about what you're doing or impacting.

Hinshaw's version is "I gave the government advice, and then elected officials made a choice and, no, I won't tell you what advice I gave them or whether they are following my advice" which is still loving useless, but any idiot can read between the lines and figure out that the elected officials aren't listening to her on any level.

Aoi
Sep 12, 2017

Perpetually a Pain.

PT6A posted:

Hinshaw's version is "I gave the government advice, and then elected officials made a choice and, no, I won't tell you what advice I gave them or whether they are following my advice" which is still loving useless, but any idiot can read between the lines and figure out that the elected officials aren't listening to her on any level.

Yeah, she seems to be functionally useless and borderline quisling, but not actively malicious.

Not that there's a huge difference, but

heehee
Sep 5, 2012

haha wow i cant believe how lucky we got to win :D

Alctel
Jan 16, 2004

I love snails

linoleum floors posted:

Nah, it doesn't have to be running out of oxygen. Now it's running out of nurses, doctors, lab technicians. It's the same thing but you can't take shocking photos of people slowly dying at home.

It's really not the same thing, I have a doctor friend in NY who was working during the first wave and it was unbelievably horrible. Bodies stacked up, they weren't even charting new arrivals, working 30 hours straight etc etc.

Like our health system is in trouble, but it's nowhere near actually collapsing yet - we still have free ICU beds

We are basically gambling that

- Omicron is mild enough that it causes very few hospitalisations in double-vaxxed people (we have over 90% double shot rate)
- all the dipshit anti-vaxxers already got an earlier strain so they won't jam up the hospital system

I mean, they could be right and it's the end of covid, or it could backfire horribly and gently caress everything

Alctel fucked around with this message at 06:41 on Jan 4, 2022

Mr. Apollo
Nov 8, 2000

I visited that webiste out of curiosity and it's literally "type in your bank account and credit details to get access to a quantum AI bitcoin powered trading platform"

enki42
Jun 11, 2001
#ATMLIVESMATTER

Put this Nazi-lover on ignore immediately!

PT6A posted:

Arguably, at this point, we can very much fight this thing blind, because we're in such a hosed position that detailed data isn't going to meaningfully change our course of action.

There's huge numbers of cases everywhere, a positivity rate of 30%, etc. As long as this continues to be the case, is more testing really going to help? It's going to reinforce what we already know, which is that there's tons of people with COVID all over the loving place. What we need is immediate measures to try and reduce the spread, and a testing system that allows us to tell when it's actually having an effect -- I'm not sure the raw numbers really matter any more, the wastewater data is probably equally effective at letting us know the general trend of the pandemic.

The problem with restricting testing is that it's ultimately going to accelerate spread. In Ontario, like 95% of people are told to just assume any illness with COVID symptoms is COVID. Anytime you feel sick, that means you're supposed to self-isolate and take 5-10 days off. For people who can't work from home, they're either going to start writing off minor symptoms, or their manager is going to ask them to. Doubly so if they have kids at home and have to self-isolate every time their kid is sick too.

Mr. Apollo
Nov 8, 2000

enki42 posted:

The problem with restricting testing is that it's ultimately going to accelerate spread. In Ontario, like 95% of people are told to just assume any illness with COVID symptoms is COVID. Anytime you feel sick, that means you're supposed to self-isolate and take 5-10 days off. For people who can't work from home, they're either going to start writing off minor symptoms, or their manager is going to ask them to. Doubly so if they have kids at home and have to self-isolate every time their kid is sick too.
Even if they do isolate for 5 - 10 days, I know people who are being told to come back to work after isolation even though they still have symptoms.

enki42
Jun 11, 2001
#ATMLIVESMATTER

Mr. Apollo posted:

Even if they do isolate for 5 - 10 days, I know people who are being told to come back to work after isolation even though they still have symptoms.

I think even the official rules in Ontario for most people are 5 days isolation, go back to work even if symptomatic so long as you don't have a fever or the symptoms aren't improving.

And of course you're only paid for 3 of those days (and only the once a year) unless your employer gives you paid sick days.

Fidelitious
Apr 17, 2018

MY BIRTH CRY WILL BE THE SOUND OF EVERY WALLET ON THIS PLANET OPENING IN UNISON.

eXXon posted:

You can! I remember a story about an NFT of 3d-rendered house (as in, only existed digitally) selling for half a million or something. And then someone also put up a real house with accompanying weird art NFT on the blockchain or whatever.

enki42
Jun 11, 2001
#ATMLIVESMATTER

Fidelitious posted:

You can! I remember a story about an NFT of 3d-rendered house (as in, only existed digitally) selling for half a million or something. And then someone also put up a real house with accompanying weird art NFT on the blockchain or whatever.

Can't wait to walk into my lawyers office and insist I don't need sale documents, the blockchain proves that I own the house - just look at this picture of an ape smoking weed, that's all the proof you need.

thehoodie
Feb 8, 2011

"Eat something made with love and joy - and be forgiven"

enki42 posted:

Yes, because this is the point. Gotta keep number going up!

Albino Squirrel
Apr 25, 2003

Miosis more like meiosis

That's the thing, though -- the fast tests have never been clinical grade. The same is true for e.g. pregnancy tests, or rapid HIV antibody tests (which have been a thing for about 20 years). It's not something a doctor would want to act on, beyond ordering a more accurate test, and it's not all that useful in your charts.

(I should add that I'm not a physician, and am open to being corrected on this.)
The fast tests are reasonably accurate - good enough for 'battlefield medicine' which is what this is. Yes, as a physician I'd like a PCR test but it's not the be-all and end-all; if you have a positive RAT and symptoms, that's good enough for me as a clinical diagnosis. From an individual perspective, the rate of false positives is very low. The rate of false negatives is somewhat higher - really, stabbing your nostrils is probably insufficient because not everyone sheds virus from the same areas, so if you're able to safely get deeper, and also capture the back of the oropharynx through the mouth, that'll be more accurate at ensuring a lack of false negatives.*

However, the problem from a public health perspective is that we're not capturing ANY of the rapid antigen tests. We have no idea how many people are getting COVID except 'lots.' And we still don't have a great idea as to how many actual positives will turn into hospitalizations/ICU stays/deaths. If we had some way for people to upload their RAT results that would help, but that would have required some degree of foresight and lol, lmao.

*please do not attempt to swab the back of your nasopharynx unless you know what you're doing.

thehoodie posted:

Yes, because this is the point. Gotta keep number going up!

Well, it's going to keep *a* number going up.

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

we monitor many frequencies. we listen always. came a voice, out of the babel of tongues, speaking to us. it played us a mighty dub.
Not especially useful, but I know my clients who have received rapid tests through the provincial programs are required to report the results of every test dispensed. Presumably that's getting tracked somewhere, but how any of that makes it back into official stats, I don't know.

Mr Luxury Yacht
Apr 16, 2012

infernal machines posted:

Not especially useful, but I know my clients who have received rapid tests through the provincial programs are required to report the results of every test dispensed. Presumably that's getting tracked somewhere, but how any of that makes it back into official stats, I don't know.

They aren't in the official stats and "required to report" in practice isn't followed very closely in my experience, especially for employee take home tests. Most people who get them don't really see the point of reporting a twice a week negative rapid test and up until a few days ago if you had a positive you were going to get a PCR anyway to confirm so, what was the point of reporting a positive?

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

we monitor many frequencies. we listen always. came a voice, out of the babel of tongues, speaking to us. it played us a mighty dub.
Welp, that's unsurprising. The one that have me a couple tests is government involved, so they're probably an outlier for compliance.

mom and dad fight a lot
Sep 21, 2006
Probation
Can't post for 18 days!
Holy poo poo

Edit: Because it's not clear, these are the reported active cases as of 4 Jan 2022
https://www.canada.ca/en/public-health/services/diseases/2019-novel-coronavirus-infection.html

Only registered members can see post attachments!

mom and dad fight a lot fucked around with this message at 21:54 on Jan 4, 2022

Another Bill
Sep 27, 2018

I stumbled ass-backwards into a comfortable, easy life for reasons beyond my comprehension and now I think I'm better than you for it.

https://mobile.twitter.com/Noahpinion/status/1478438901299638276

PT6A
Jan 5, 2006

I just get the feeling that it can't possibly be that simple, because if it were we'd be vaccinating everyone by force at this point. I dunno, maybe I'm a pessimist or my risk toleration is out of whack.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

mom and dad fight a lot
Sep 21, 2006
Probation
Can't post for 18 days!
I'm just shocked that about 14% of the (reported) COVID-19 cases that Canada has had—ever—are active right now.