Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Which horse film is your favorite?
This poll is closed.
Black Beauty 2 1.06%
A Talking Pony!?! 4 2.13%
Mr. Hands 2x Apple Flavor 117 62.23%
War Horse 11 5.85%
Mr. Hands 54 28.72%
Total: 188 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

lil poopendorfer
Nov 13, 2014

by the sex ghost
Unban Owl of Cream Cheese, the thread is too slow without him :sad:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rust Martialis
May 8, 2007

At night, Bavovnyatko quietly comes to the occupiers’ bases, depots, airfields, oil refineries and other places full of flammable items and starts playing with fire there

lil poopendorfer posted:

The problem isn't the poop-smelling flower, it's the flies it attracts

How are u
May 19, 2005

by Azathoth

lil poopendorfer posted:

He is a good poster when it comes to covid data, that's for sure.

Mr. Mercury
Aug 13, 2021

Stop posting about posters. Post covid info, something on topic to discuss, or get the gently caress out.

please just leave and save us all the frustration of reading back-and-forth bullshit constantly

\/\/ thnku bby :love:

Mr. Mercury fucked around with this message at 01:15 on Jan 4, 2022

Professor Beetus
Apr 12, 2007

They can fight us
But they'll never Beetus

Mr. Mercury posted:

Stop posting about posters. Post covid info, something on topic to discuss, or get the gently caress out.

please just leave and save us all the frustration of reading back-and-forth bullshit constantly

This please. I am 100% okay with this thread being slow moving since it actually facilitates better quality discussion. There are plenty of people who were capable of making the same points as oocc who weren't also addicted to constant shitposting and riling up their posting enemies. If you have further feedback about the moderation of this thread you can PM me, or if you think I'm a worthless idiot you can PM EHF or one of the other DND mods.

Thanks.

Rust Martialis
May 8, 2007

At night, Bavovnyatko quietly comes to the occupiers’ bases, depots, airfields, oil refineries and other places full of flammable items and starts playing with fire there

Professor Beetus posted:

This please. I am 100% okay with this thread being slow moving since it actually facilitates better quality discussion. There are plenty of people who were capable of making the same points as oocc who weren't also addicted to constant shitposting and riling up their posting enemies. If you have further feedback about the moderation of this thread you can PM me, or if you think I'm a worthless idiot you can PM EHF or one of the other DND mods.

Thanks.

But you're *our* worthless idiot.

Vinny the Shark
Oct 11, 2005
I started feeling a bit sick around the 24th Dec. I was down with a stuffy nose, sore throat, coughs and sneezes for 25th-28th. By the 30th I was feeling nearly all better. I got a test on the 28th and New Year's morning my PCR results were positive. I assumed it was a common cold as I didn't fall short of breath or lose my sense of taste and smell like a lot of people have reported. I got the Johnson&Johnson shot in April and the Moderna booster last month.

So my experience is that chances are pretty good you're going to catch it, even with vaccines and boosters. However, it will most likely feel like a moderately rough cold for 3-5 days. I am feeling nearly 100%, aside from needing to clear my throat every few minutes. Heck, I spent last night beating up my punching bag in my basement for 30 min. Still staying home until next week just in case, but I'm not at all worried about it.

Keep doing everything right- vaccinate, get boosted, wear masks, stay home if you feel sick and try to keep your distance from sick people. But if you do catch it, don't panic. You're probably going to be fine.

Edit: Based on my relatively mild symptoms and swift recovery I think I caught the omicron strain, but my test didn't specify.

Vinny the Shark fucked around with this message at 18:36 on Jan 3, 2022

A Terrible Person
Jan 8, 2012

The Dance of Friendship

Fun Shoe

freebooter posted:

As Australia's PCR testing system buckles under the Omicron strain and the health authorities (understandably) strip back the definition of a close contact to someone who's been in a private residence with a positive case for four or six hours or whatever the gently caress it is now, and as rapid tests become as rare as hen's teeth and pharmacies start price gouging for them (I think $20-$30 is now the going rate for a single test?) the prime minister thought this was a good time to dig his ideological heels in:

https://www.theguardian.com/australia-news/2022/jan/03/scott-morrison-resists-calls-to-provide-free-rapid-covid-tests-to-australians

I woke up to this on the radio this morning and actually said out loud "I'm already paying for it you fuckhead!" Just... even from a purely cynical political viewpoint, I cannot grasp why he took this line and how he thinks it's going to benefit him? I know my self-curated social circles and social media feeds trend left, but when even my conservative family are saying "wtf is he doing," that's when it feels like a bizarre misstep. Cracking out boilerplate conservative talking points to warn that people might have to pay for tests which they had never heard of three weeks ago but are now expected to use and are already paying for... just so so loving tin-eared and strange. Weird loving thing to do!

This is without even going into the fact that the federal government has abrogated responsibility for almost everything to the states all the way through the pandemic, and several of them are already saying that they'll procure rapid tests themselves and give them out for free. Absolute best case scenario is that this has a neutral effect on the federal government and even just politically speaking (never mind doing the right thing for your loving country!) I cannot understand why they think this is wise. What a totally cooked era we live in.

Welcome to abandoning any sort of sane safety measures simply because you're tired. Hope it's everything you wished for.

Mellow Seas
Oct 9, 2012
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

Vinny the Shark posted:

I started feeling a bit sick around the 24th Dec. I was down with a stuffy nose, sore throat, coughs and sneezes for 25th-28th. By the 30th I was feeling nearly all better. I got a test on the 28th and New Year's morning my PCR results were positive. I assumed it was a common cold as I didn't fall short of breath or lose my sense of taste and smell like a lot of people have reported. I got the Johnson&Johnson shot in April and the Moderna booster last month.

So my experience is that chances are pretty good you're going to catch it, even with vaccines and boosters. However, it will most likely feel like a moderately rough cold for 3-5 days. I am feeling nearly 100%, aside from needing to clear my throat every few minutes. Heck, I spent last night beating up my punching bag in my basement for 30 min. Still staying home until next week just in case, but I'm not at all worried about it.

Keep doing everything right- vaccinate, get boosted, wear masks, stay home if you feel sick and try to keep your distance from sick people. But if you do catch it, don't panic. You're probably going to be fine.

Edit: Based on my relatively mild symptoms and swift recovery I think I caught the omicron strain, but my test didn't specify.
I'm behind you a bit, but on a similar trajectory so far. Started to feel sick two days ago, no noticeable downward trend so far. Sneezing a lot and coughing, but not so much that I can’t like, smoke weed. My partner was able to do her daily workout today without much trouble. She’s fully boosted; I got my boost on Dec 23 so it probably wasn’t fully effective when I was infected (which was almost certainly 12/29).

I went on a long weekend trip with three other households, everybody had tested negative beforehand. If you don't want to get Covid right now, don't do things like that!

Still a little nervous that things could get worse but encouraged so far.

Thorn Wishes Talon
Oct 18, 2014

by Fluffdaddy

A Terrible Person posted:

Welcome to abandoning any sort of sane safety measures simply because you're tired. Hope it's everything you wished for.

pretty great username/post combo

A Terrible Person
Jan 8, 2012

The Dance of Friendship

Fun Shoe

Thorn Wishes Talon posted:

pretty great username/post combo

He was warned what every other country has to deal with, repeatedly, and simply bitched that lockdowns were just too tiresome and annoying. Now he's getting exactly what he wanted and is regretting it immediately.

The schadenfreude is amazing.

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

VitalSigns
Sep 3, 2011

Yeah I think this is what people from covid zero countries who complained about the restrictions never really got, "getting back to normal" doesn't mean the end of lockdowns and everything is fine now. That's what they had during the periods when there was no community spread!

"Getting back to normal" by abandoning covid zero means covid running rampant through your country ripping through the population and every trip to the grocery store is a roll of the dice, and yeah you can go to the bar if you want but only if you're willing to catch covid.

I had to lock down for 14 months straight here in Texas, didn't see anybody, double-masked it when I was forced back into work and prayed, because the alternative was getting covid and maybe dying (I have asthma). Doing a lockdown for a month at a time to crush 14 cases sounds like heaven.

VitalSigns fucked around with this message at 18:49 on Jan 3, 2022

How are u
May 19, 2005

by Azathoth

He was warned what every other country has to deal with, repeatedly, and simply bitched that lockdowns were just too tiresome and annoying. Now he's getting exactly what he wanted and is regretting it immediately.

Freebooter is the king of Oz, now?

Vinny the Shark
Oct 11, 2005

Mellow Seas posted:

I'm behind you a bit, but on a similar trajectory so far. Started to feel sick two days ago, no noticeable downward trend so far. Sneezing a lot and coughing, but not so much that I can’t like, smoke weed. My partner was able to do her daily workout today without much trouble. She’s fully boosted; I got my boost on Dec 23 so it probably wasn’t fully effective when I was infected (which was almost certainly 12/29).

I went on a long weekend trip with three other households, everybody had tested negative beforehand. If you don't want to get Covid right now, don't do things like that!

Still a little nervous that things could get worse but encouraged so far.

I got my booster on the 18th, which was about a week before symptoms showed up- similar to you. All you can do is hope for the best. And although I certainly wouldn't wish it on anyone, a silver lining to this is that if it is covid, you'll probably end up developing even better immunity from further infections.

Good luck, and get yourself a bag of menthol cough drops, a box of your favorite tea and some cough and cold alka-seltzer medicine. Keep a bottle of water next to your bed as well, as I woke up a few times at night and had to drink water to ease my throat pain.

Judakel
Jul 29, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 9 years!

Eventually, covid will be so overwhelming that they'll say there's nothing they can do about it, much like we do here in the US. Problem is that this is starting with omicron there and the growth rate is too much too fast.

SpartanIvy
May 18, 2007
Hair Elf
The US population seems to teeter between the opinion of "It's not bad enough to do anything yet" and "It's too out of control to do anything now"

Bel Shazar
Sep 14, 2012

SpartanIvy posted:

The US population seems to teeter between the opinion of "It's not bad enough to do anything yet" and "It's too out of control to do anything now"

That's also how we handle

> politics
> police brutality
> gas prices
> nuclear policy
> everything else

Judakel
Jul 29, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 9 years!

SpartanIvy posted:

The duality of stupidity.

Jaxyon
Mar 7, 2016
I’m just saying I would like to see a man beat a woman in a cage. Just to be sure.
Had a friend on facebook post about wanting a NYE party with vaxxed/tested people.

She got covid.

Just was in a work meeting(on zoom) with 8 people and 3 of them caught covid over the break after successfully avoiding it prior to this.

Stay inside and don't interact with people.

Jaxyon fucked around with this message at 20:46 on Jan 3, 2022

Rust Martialis
May 8, 2007

It's pretty clear that double vaccination at best partly reduces infection rates. Maybe boosters do but I've seen no clear data on that.

Sharks Eat Bear
Dec 25, 2004

Rust Martialis posted:

It's pretty clear that double vaccination at best partly reduces infection rates. Maybe boosters do but I've seen no clear data on that.

I haven’t read the preprint yet so take it with a grain of salt, but I saw this on Eric Topol’s Twitter and I think he generally seems to be a decent source of info. I imagine a limitation could be short follow up so limited info on durability of booster efficacy, but still suggestive of boosters having a meaningful impact on reducing transmission.

https://twitter.com/EricTopol/status/1476212140956553222?s=20

How are u
May 19, 2005

by Azathoth
Two of my old buddies have caught it over the last week, but they're fully vaccinated and doing just fine.

Somehow, so far at least, I managed to avoid it over 2 weeks of holiday with family in a blood red death-cult state + going to visit a tourist town in another blood red death-cult state. So far so good! Home now in my wonderful, more sane blue state where it feels so good to sit in a county with 90%+ vaccinations.

EVIL Gibson
Mar 23, 2001

Internet of Things is just someone else's computer that people can't help attaching cameras and door locks to!
:vapes:
Switchblade Switcharoo

political_discussion_2021.jpeg

droll
Jan 9, 2020

by Azathoth

VitalSigns posted:

Yeah I think this is what people from covid zero countries who complained about the restrictions never really got, "getting back to normal" doesn't mean the end of lockdowns and everything is fine now. That's what they had during the periods when there was no community spread!

"Getting back to normal" by abandoning covid zero means covid running rampant through your country ripping through the population and every trip to the grocery store is a roll of the dice, and yeah you can go to the bar if you want but only if you're willing to catch covid.

I had to lock down for 14 months straight here in Texas, didn't see anybody, double-masked it when I was forced back into work and prayed, because the alternative was getting covid and maybe dying (I have asthma). Doing a lockdown for a month at a time to crush 14 cases sounds like heaven.

Yeah it was pretty amazing reading Australians whine about their "harshest 3 month lockdowns in the world!" while posting from the COVID free pub afterwards. Some even had the gall to suggest us Americans, that have been in the same "harsh" lockdown for nearly 2 years but with more risk of death from the grocery store, were having it easier because we could theoretically choose death. I hope freebooters government took their 18 months of gifted prep time to build hospitals and train hcws because jfc their numbers are looking grim.

Stickman
Feb 1, 2004

How are u posted:

Two of my old buddies have caught it over the last week, but they're fully vaccinated and doing just fine.

Somehow, so far at least, I managed to avoid it over 2 weeks of holiday with family in a blood red death-cult state + going to visit a tourist town in another blood red death-cult state. So far so good! Home now in my wonderful, more sane blue state where it feels so good to sit in a county with 90%+ vaccinations.

Congratulations on your wonderful luck!

Rust Martialis
May 8, 2007

Sharks Eat Bear posted:

I haven’t read the preprint yet so take it with a grain of salt, but I saw this on Eric Topol’s Twitter and I think he generally seems to be a decent source of info. I imagine a limitation could be short follow up so limited info on durability of booster efficacy, but still suggestive of boosters having a meaningful impact on reducing transmission.

Works for me. Many thanks

Gio
Jun 20, 2005

Sharks Eat Bear posted:

Devil’s advocate: To what extent, if at all, would personal decisions to social distance confound these findings? I imagine someone boosted is more cautious than someone with only two jabs is more cautious than someone who has none.

Professor Beetus
Apr 12, 2007

They can fight us
But they'll never Beetus

Gio posted:

Devil’s advocate: To what extent, if at all, would personal decisions to social distance confound these findings? I imagine someone boosted is more cautious than someone with only two jabs is more cautious than someone who has none.

Well, anecdotal but several people in my orbit who are vaxxed/boosted/masked got Covid recently despite their own personal precautions. Hell, I got sick despite barely leaving my house in the last two years except to do our biweekly grocery shopping and other errands. if data is showing that boosters are helping prevent transmission I'm going to be inclined to believe that in the face of those anecdotes, because if social distancing was a major factor in disrupting that data, I doubt I would have gotten sick*.

*obviously if I just got a cold and not covid the vaccines aren't doing anything for me, but I'm still masking up and not going out every other day and keeping away from people as much as possible.

But once again we are probably in the position of waiting on more data, particularly from places that aren't as small and well-vaccinated as Denmark.

speng31b
May 8, 2010

Gio posted:

Is the messaging in Denmark significantly different than "be sure to get boosted so that you can resume life as normal?" Because that's what I hear from almost everyone.

Sharks Eat Bear
Dec 25, 2004

Gio posted:

That’s a fair question. I just skimmed the pre-print and here’s the authors’ discussion of this issue:

quote:

Similarly, there are likely underlying behavioural drivers for an individual being unvaccinated, which are likely to confound with other risky behaviours that might be expected to increase both transmission and susceptibility to infection (e.g. poor use of face masks, reduced attention to hygiene). The use of registry data limits our inference to associations between transmission/susceptibility and vaccination status of individuals, where part of the association is due to general characteristics of the individuals themselves rather than their vaccination status. However, a key point of our study is that these biases are non-differential with respect to variant, i.e. they would be expected to affect transmission of both the Delta and Omicron VOC identically because risky behaviours and/or underlying health concerns should affect both variants equally. Consequently, although the associations between vaccination status and transmission for each variant are likely to each be susceptible to bias, we believe that any such bias is non-differential with respect to variant. Therefore, our results concerning the relatively higher transmissibility of the Omicron vs. Delta VOC for vaccinated individuals should be robust to these potential biases.

Since it’s a household study, I think it’s reasonable to assume that there might be less variability of risky behavior within a household than between individuals from different households, but that’s just me thinking out loud.

I don’t put much stock into the precise numerical findings from the study in terms of % risk reduction, but it does seem like a safe enough conclusion that boosters offer some amount of meaningful incremental transmission protection against Omni than 2 doses, but also its meaningfully less than Delta so vax alone will be insufficient to stop spread (duh)

Dr. Red Ranger
Nov 9, 2011

Nap Ghost
I finally caught it too now. Was it from covering at a pharmacy where multiple workers tested positive but no one informed who worked with them or even set up a cleaning crew? Was it the new hospital where the only other soul wearing a mask was the maintenance man, and the ICU nurses complained that children should be allowed to get covid because it can't hurt them? Was it the other institution where they tell people not to get tested because it's fine if they work while asymptomatic? Who can say?

freebooter
Jul 7, 2009

VitalSigns posted:

Doing a lockdown for a month at a time to crush 14 cases sounds like heaven.

It wasn't a month and it didn't crush them. I don't know how many times I have to explain this, but I was very pro-lockdown and pro-zero-COVID right up until the point where it stopped loving working because the outside world cooked up a far more contagious variant as a nice little present for us.

droll posted:

Yeah it was pretty amazing reading Australians whine about their "harshest 3 month lockdowns in the world!" while posting from the COVID free pub afterwards. Some even had the gall to suggest us Americans, that have been in the same "harsh" lockdown for nearly 2 years but with more risk of death from the grocery store, were having it easier because we could theoretically choose death. I hope freebooters government took their 18 months of gifted prep time to build hospitals and train hcws because jfc their numbers are looking grim.

I don't know about anyone else but I've never said or even implied this. Even in Melbourne which probably racked up more cumulative time in lockdown than anywhere in the world, I still wouldn't trade the last two years of my life with somebody living in Europe or the US, because the COVID-free periods were great!

The federal government closed the borders at the start of 2020 and then did sweet gently caress all, but the states had (and continue to have) probably the best COVID responses in the Western world with the exception of the New Zealand government. Case in point, while the PM bangs on about personal responsibility and not wanting to undercut RAT suppliers, the state governments just ignore the prick and give them out anyway:

https://statements.qld.gov.au/statements/94212

Wang Commander
Dec 27, 2003

by sebmojo
What was the testing like in Australia's lockdowns? Did you have whole cities tested by PCR every single day? That seems to be the key.

Judakel
Jul 29, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 9 years!

freebooter posted:

It wasn't a month and it didn't crush them. I don't know how many times I have to explain this, but I was very pro-lockdown and pro-zero-COVID right up until the point where it stopped loving working because the outside world cooked up a far more contagious variant as a nice little present for us.

I don't know about anyone else but I've never said or even implied this. Even in Melbourne which probably racked up more cumulative time in lockdown than anywhere in the world, I still wouldn't trade the last two years of my life with somebody living in Europe or the US, because the COVID-free periods were great!

The federal government closed the borders at the start of 2020 and then did sweet gently caress all, but the states had (and continue to have) probably the best COVID responses in the Western world with the exception of the New Zealand government. Case in point, while the PM bangs on about personal responsibility and not wanting to undercut RAT suppliers, the state governments just ignore the prick and give them out anyway:

https://statements.qld.gov.au/statements/94212

If China can lick omicron, it will be clear that your lockdowns were inefficient due to the way they were policed, not because lockdowns don't work.

Wang Commander
Dec 27, 2003

by sebmojo

Judakel posted:

If China can lick omicron, it will be clear that your lockdowns were inefficient due to the way they were policed, not because lockdowns don't work.

I suspect it's more due to inadequate tracing and quarantining within lockdown vs cops beating people down or whatever. If you're not testing the lockdown region daily, what are you even doing, you're just smearing out family member infections over time and space.

Judakel
Jul 29, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 9 years!

Wang Commander posted:

I suspect it's more due to inadequate tracing and quarantining within lockdown vs cops beating people down or whatever. If you're not testing the lockdown region daily, what are you even doing, you're just smearing out family member infections over time and space.

Yeah, China really is the only one doing massive testing on that scale. Every wealthy country should have a public health corps in response to covid to handle testing on that scale.

HiroProtagonist
May 7, 2007

Wang Commander posted:

yeah china's lockdowns were just meant to aid contact tracing and give it enough time to work comprehensively

speng31b
May 8, 2010

Judakel posted:

Licking Omicron is actually not advisable, from what I've gathered.

Wang Commander
Dec 27, 2003

by sebmojo

Judakel posted:

Yeah, China really is the only one doing massive testing on that scale. Every wealthy country should have a public health corps in response to covid to handle testing on that scale.

Yeah not to dismiss your idea of actually breaking up illegal gatherings, just that I think the testing is the big missing piece in the West.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Wang Commander
Dec 27, 2003

by sebmojo
While the actual Long Covid studies are lacking, this seems like a pretty interesting breakdown of more excess deaths. It's been long enough now that the longer-term mortality/morbidity are starting to "breakthrough" into other, more-studied domains like insurance calculations, and I think it's here that we're really getting our first glimpse of the toll of "open Biden".

https://twitter.com/MicahPollak/status/1477730077836480512