Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Shyrka
Feb 10, 2005

Small Boss likes to spin!

Doctor_Fruitbat posted:

On the subject of cereal: seriously, where do I get Ricicles or their closest knock-off? I haven't been able to find them in years, because everyone decided to stop making them simultaneously. I am getting unreasonably angry at the complete and total lack of sugar-coated rice crispies in this country, every time I remember that we were robbed of them I get really pissed off then have to feel stupid for being mad about cereal. Can I just sprinkle icing sugar on rice crispies and be done with it?

Ricicles were sacrificed when the sugar tax came in, so as to provide cover for the far more sugary but also acceptably middle class crunchy nut corn flakes.

I'm sorry, they're gone forever.

But can I interest you in some strawberry coco pops?

edit: 9/11 never forget.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pablo Bluth
Sep 7, 2007

I've made a huge mistake.
Start was the best cereal.

keep punching joe
Jan 22, 2006

Die Satan!
Recently got a Sugar Puff hankering, and hadn't had them since the coalition days. Was horrified to discover that they're now called Honey Puffs and have barely any sugar. The also no longer seem to change the way your piss smells. Very disappointing.

Lady Demelza
Dec 29, 2009

Lipstick Apathy
Start was an excellent cereal.

Frosted Shreddies and Curiously Cinnamon somehow still available despite being full of sugar.

MrL_JaKiri
Sep 23, 2003

A bracing glass of carrot juice!

Tarnop posted:

This is just a problem with American recipes in general using volumes where mass is more accurate. Flour is the one that annoys me the most because it compacts into any kind of scoop and accurate quantities matter in a lot of baking.

The fact that, as you identified, measuring butter by volume is going to result in waste, is no doubt a feature rather than a bug. There is also a whole industry producing and selling cup-sized scoops and we wouldn't want that to go away would we.

e: also from watching some American baking videos on YouTube, as far as I can tell no one uses an actual tablespoon, they're all using 15ml scoops which I guess you could level off with a knife but no one does.

If you're baking get measuring spoons

Pablo Bluth
Sep 7, 2007

I've made a huge mistake.
I'm boring and have Bran Flakes most mornings but I do have a weakness for Honey Nut Shredded Wheat.

Comrade Fakename
Feb 13, 2012

https://twitter.com/allforthanookie/status/1478110193322008578

Lungboy
Aug 23, 2002

NEED SQUAT FORM HELP
White chocolate cocopops have disappeared recently too, my kids are going to mutiny when they finish the last box we have.

goddamnedtwisto
Dec 31, 2004

If you ask me about the mole people in the London Underground, I WILL be forced to kill you
Fun Shoe

Endjinneer posted:

Not quite, if I remember my mix design correctly. Fly ash is used for cement replacement in concrete because it has vaguely similar properties to portland cement, though it's not so easy to source now we've stopped burning coal in the UK. Blast furnace slag is used the same way. Neither affects the density that much. What does is aerating the concrete and you can get down to 6-800kg/m3. Leave out the large aggregate as well and that's the recipe for breeze blocks. If you cut them in half they look like an aero.

Some quick wiki-ing suggests that I've confused them using fly ash in the Mulberry harbours (because it was one of the few things we had very little shortage of) and the asbestos-containing concrete they used for the temporary sheds in the docks. So add "breaking legs of unsuspecting swimmers" to the hazards of asbestos I suppose.

Jaeluni Asjil
Apr 18, 2018

Sorry I thought you were a landlord when I gave you your old avatar!

Jollity Farm posted:

These nerds aren't washing their cloth masks, are they? And they're reusing the disposable ones over and over, because words don't mean anything.

I had a 'discussion' with someone I know IRL on FB a few months ago on this very subject.

He was talking about the foul gunkiness of facemasks and how unhygienic they were.

I said 'it's the foul gunk from your own lungs, why should you think it's acceptable to spray it over other people instead of confining it to your own face where it has been living in your lungs anyway? And by the way you are supposed to WASH the reusables and change the disposables.' Anyway, he is now muted.

I actually give my reusables a Milton's fluid & boiling water bath in a large cup regularly.

Lungboy posted:

White chocolate cocopops have disappeared recently too, my kids are going to mutiny when they finish the last box we have.

They were a limited edition I think. I bought a box imagining they would be ambrosia but I didn't like them.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

I don't wash mine as often as I should and they are hardly foul, really want to know what the gently caress people are doing to their masks where they are visibly dirty.

crispix
Mar 28, 2015

Grand-Maman m'a raconté
(Les éditions des amitiés franco-québécoises)

Hello, dear
i've seen people wandering around eating while the masks are pulled down round their chins lol

Microplastics
Jul 6, 2007

:discourse:
It's what's for dinner.

Julio Cruz posted:

making kids breathe in the germs and bacteria they already have = abuse

letting them breathe their germs and bacteria all over each other = just common sense innit

Masks are child abuse and I also I have strong opinions on corporal punishment in schools that I will not divulge at this time

-- every antimask shithead

goddamnedtwisto
Dec 31, 2004

If you ask me about the mole people in the London Underground, I WILL be forced to kill you
Fun Shoe

OwlFancier posted:

I don't wash mine as often as I should and they are hardly foul, really want to know what the gently caress people are doing to their masks where they are visibly dirty.

After a whole day of wear my reusable gets a bit mucky around the nose clip, and the whole thing smells like my breath (I have to assume mouthwash and chewing gum sales have been through the roof these last two years). I just bought a ten-pack and now like any other item of clothing they get changed daily and chucked in the washing machine at the end of the week.

(Note: Don't absent-mindedly chuck them in with those Unstoppables scent thingies (look I like my sheets to smell nice, let me have one bourgeois comfort) unless you really fancy having a nosegay)

Lady Demelza
Dec 29, 2009

Lipstick Apathy
People were right with the 'face nappies' slogan: it's designed to keep crap from spreading and if it's disposable, you wear it once and throw it away, and if it's cloth, you wash it and reuse. But no, somehow that was not what they took away from the conversation.

To quote myself from a few pages back, ten years ago seems a very long time, and I'm watching the Hillsborough Disaster programme Anne on ITV and hadn't realised it's been almost a decade since she died.

Bobby Deluxe
May 9, 2004

Barry Foster posted:

NFTs are utterly mind boggling to me

Like, at least you can use crypto to buy drugs
NFTs are the logical extension of capitalism applied to that form of money. If crypto is an alternative version of money, then NFTs are the alternative version of the amassing of wealth.

Honestly, the fascinating thing has been watching them discover why all the laws and safeguards were there preventing people from doing the kind of stuff they've been speedrunning their way towards, thinking they're geniuses and that this is in any way sustainable.

Doctor_Fruitbat posted:

Oh I almost forgot, there's also the rampant art theft where they just steal artwork from anyone and everyone and sell it without a hint of shame in a mad attempt to profit on absolutely anything they can get their hands on, and upon being challenged on it their earnest response is that the artist should have done it first. So now anyone who creates art or follows artists is pretty much guaranteed to despise crypto with all their heart.
On this point, as far as I'm aware the only way to 'protect' your art is to list it on the etherium market for sale. So you actually can't protect it, because someone will just buy it from you, and buy it in an 'all rights to it are now mine' kind of way. And the price you set for it is AFAIK based on how much you're able to put up in the first place. So it actually offers gently caress all protection to artists, especially artists who aren't loaded enough to set a high price.

OzyMandrill posted:

Basically, pick the n-digit number that matches the cryptographic hash of the current transactions, where n is adjusted so it takes on average 15 minutes irrespective of the total computing power available.
The important thing is whether the n-number has a hard R or not.

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal

OwlFancier posted:

A friend who used to cycle all the time in the city wore a white painters mask long before it was cool while cycling and it was often yellowish before the end of the week.

It's possible that the anti maskers are upset that all that smog isn't going into their lungs.

keep punching joe
Jan 22, 2006

Die Satan!
Can't imagine having one mask. Always have at least one box of disposable n95s by the door, a cloth respirator with disposable filter, and a half face 3m ffp2 elastomeric for when I have to go full bane.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

I was tempted to see if I could get the pop bottle gas mask trick to work.

feedmegin
Jul 30, 2008

I have never even as a kid understood cereal. I basically just settled on coffee for breakfast.

serious gaylord
Sep 16, 2007

what.
I see Starmer is having another relaunch on Tuesday.

Just Another Lurker
May 1, 2009

goddamnedtwisto posted:

After a whole day of wear my reusable gets a bit mucky around the nose clip, and the whole thing smells like my breath (I have to assume mouthwash and chewing gum sales have been through the roof these last two years). I just bought a ten-pack and now like any other item of clothing they get changed daily and chucked in the washing machine at the end of the week.

(Note: Don't absent-mindedly chuck them in with those Unstoppables scent thingies (look I like my sheets to smell nice, let me have one bourgeois comfort) unless you really fancy having a nosegay)

To get rid of that horrid scent i just dig out the tonsilloliths from the back of my throat. :barf:

Angepain
Jul 13, 2012

what keeps happening to my clothes
Start was nice. i didn't have them often but i liked knowing they were there

the great tragedy of discontinued cereals is the limited edition chocolate orange shreddies, rip

WhatEvil
Jun 6, 2004

Can't get no luck.

Pablo Bluth posted:

Start was the best cereal.

YES, it was. RIP.

stev
Jan 22, 2013

Please be excited.

feedmegin posted:

I have never even as a kid understood cereal. I basically just settled on coffee for breakfast.

I didn't like them when the world told me to eat them in mush form in a bowl of white liquid. When I learned you could have them dry I fell in love (until I discovered coffee).

kecske
Feb 28, 2011

it's round, like always

feedmegin posted:

I used to get up at 6am on a Saturday morning with my dad and watch transworld sport and football italia with a big bowl of coco pops, and once he bought me a van basten AC Milan shirt after I said he was cool. that's my cereal anecdote.

Comrade Fakename
Feb 13, 2012

Anyone up for another relaunch?

https://twitter.com/lbcnews/status/1478132144862113794

Jaeluni Asjil
Apr 18, 2018

https://twitter.com/CeilNoyle/status/1478143699330682883?s=20

Inexplicable Humblebrag
Sep 20, 2003

jesus i don't think i've thought about Start cereal for like twenty years

Julio Cruz
May 19, 2006

maybe this time they'll actually announce a policy

Doctor_Fruitbat
Jun 2, 2013

Inexplicable Humblebrag posted:

I can taste it just by thinking about it. God I loving love cereal, it's crunchy and sugary and full of carbs and it makes the milk taste all malty. I'm still mad about the Ricicles.

Jaeluni Asjil
Apr 18, 2018

Hey Guav I don't suppose you could think of a new title for the thread this month. I feel sick every time see those words Sir Tiny and his small nipples. And if I'm catching up with the thread while scoffing my lunch or tea, it's particularly bad.

BalloonFish
Jun 30, 2013

Fun Shoe

Inexplicable Humblebrag posted:

Neither have I, but now I miss it because it was the best cereal. I also wasn't aware that Ricicles were no more. This thread is dredging up repressed cereal emotions...

Don't all Red Wall polls have to be immediately acted on in full, to show that Labour Is In Touch With Real People? Or does that only apply if the polls say that folk want to kick out immigrants, bring back white dog poo poo and make the National Trust stop mentioning slavery and child labour?

Edit: Seriously, did the phrase 'Red Wall' exist before 12/12/19? I don't remember ever hearing it until the exit poll dropped and suddenly it was all Labour Is Losing The Red Wall (meaning seats that they had been steadily losing votes in for decades [apart from 2017 but we don't talk about that...]) and now it's just used continuously like it's a thing, even though the whole point is that the Wall is now Blue, not Red.

BalloonFish fucked around with this message at 01:46 on Jan 4, 2022

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal

Jaeluni Asjil posted:

Hey Guav I don't suppose you could think of a new title for the thread this month. I feel sick every time see those words Sir Tiny and his small nipples. And if I'm catching up with the thread while scoffing my lunch or tea, it's particularly bad.
How about "Sir Tommy, because of his firebombed Astra"?

Yaxley-Lennon's car got done in Telford, he's blaming Pakistanis again

kingturnip
Apr 18, 2008

BalloonFish posted:

Don't all Red Wall polls have to be immediately acted on in full, to show that Labour Is In Touch With Real People? Or does that only apply if the polls say that folk want to kick out immigrants, bring back white dog poo poo and make the National Trust stop mentioning slavery and child labour?

Fortunately for Keith, Jormbly Crammel isn't currently a member of the Labour party.

Makes a lot of sense that 'Red Wall' voters poll respondents aren't apparently aware of that fact.

Jaeluni Asjil
Apr 18, 2018

Guavanaut posted:

How about "Sir Tommy, because of his firebombed Astra"?

Yaxley-Lennon's car got done in Telford, he's blaming Pakistanis again

Thanks for the new title :)
I suppose technically Sir Tiny's large warcrimes should make me feel more sick but there we are. No accounting for gut reactions!

Why is the YL thing spoilered?

kingturnip posted:

Fortunately for Keith, Jormbly Crammel isn't currently a member of the Labour party.

Makes a lot of sense that 'Red Wall' voters poll respondents aren't apparently aware of that fact.

As far as I understand it, he is still a member of the LP, just not of the PLP (whip withdrawn). (Though the effect of that is that he would never be selected to stand for Labour at next GE).

Jaeluni Asjil fucked around with this message at 02:07 on Jan 4, 2022

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal

Jaeluni Asjil posted:

Why is the YL thing spoilered?
Mostly as a joke-punchline thing. Some people on Twitter are calling on Robinson to be knighted for having his car burned though.

Give him Jimmy Savile's Order of St. Gregory the Great imo

Dabir
Nov 10, 2012

I've been hearing about the redwall from the biggest rats and weasels around for a long time.

His Divine Shadow
Aug 7, 2000

I'm not a fascist. I'm a priest. Fascists dress up in black and tell people what to do.

Miftan posted:

This is a safe space, you don't need to pretend you've never shoved a tablesoon into a tub of butter.

I always buy butter in wrapped 500g blocks instead of tubs, then I can use a cheese slicer (scandi style) on the top and I don't ever have to bother with difficult to spread butter, or buy soft-spread stuff which isn't as good.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Maugrim
Feb 16, 2011

I eat your face

Maugrim posted:

Just had angry call and text from my landlord demanding to know why the rent for this month isn't in his account yet. I don't think he's realised today was a bank holiday.

The money went out this morning of course, but from a quick Google I get the impression that it's my responsibility as tenant to make sure the rent gets to his account by the 1st. Is that correct? I guess that would mean I need to move the standing order to like the 28th or something.

He's an extremely spiteful guy so we put a lot of effort into not pissing him off or ever having contact with him if possible.