Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Macichne Leainig
Jul 26, 2012

by VG
Yeah, it's always telling that they have some obnoxious dollar amount's worth of something else.

Please talk to me when you have actual obnoxious dollar amounts. If you believe crypto is the future, whatever, but you still need like, real money right now for bills and poo poo.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

A Wizard of Goatse
Dec 14, 2014

Three Olives posted:

One of my favorite rich people things:

Do you think a lot of women wear $200,000 engagement rings when they might have to run into Starbucks? No, they have a replica ring made out of CZ, keep the real one in a safe and drag the real one out only occasionally.

Apparently it is only socially OK to do this if you actually own the real one, even though literally no one knows the difference but a jeweler.

did you hear some people even have separate pairs of pants for doing yard work and going to fancy parties

necrotic
Aug 2, 2005
I owe my brother big time for this!

A Wizard of Goatse posted:

did you hear some people even have separate pairs of pants for doing yard work and going to fancy parties

The work pants don’t tend to be replicas of the fancy pants

mossyfisk
Nov 8, 2010

FF0000
Of course you can fairly easily turn crypto into real money.

If you couldn't, drug dealers would not accept it.

priznat
Jul 7, 2009

Let's get drunk and kiss each other all night.
Didn’t beeple (wisely) immediately cash out his millions?

Three Olives
Apr 10, 2005

Don't forget Hitler's contributions to medicine.

priznat posted:

Didn’t beeple (wisely) immediately cash out his millions?

No, there was a bunch of shady transfers between his account and other accounts, it looks like he made some money to lie about how much he really made from the sale to pump NFTs.

acidx
Sep 24, 2019

right clicking is stealing

Klyith posted:

OTOH trusting that all that money went from Person A to Person B as a fair purchase, rather than split between two people in cahoots to pump up the value of a new run of 20,000 "limited edition" ape jpegs, is a different story.

Something like that happened. He bought the :toxx: from cryptobreaker

https://twitter.com/dt_chain/status/1477489484031795200

Gutcruncher
Apr 16, 2005

Go home and be a family man!
I’d love if not just the apes but ALL NFTs were made history

Extra Large Marge
Jan 21, 2004

Fun Shoe
Maybe NFTs were created so crypto coiners could have something to spend their coins on that wasn't drugs or extortion payments to ransomware hackers.

novamute
Jul 5, 2006

o o o

Nessus posted:

I assume all these people are crypto rich because they mined Ethereum in 2015 or whatever and they have just been sitting on the wallet or what-have-you. The problem being realizing these gains as what I call ActualMoney.

This comes up pretty often in this thread but cashing out crypto that is ETH or BTC instead of just random shitcoins is not difficult.

You can go on Uniswap right now and sell 10000 ETH for ~$37M worth of USDC (which you will have no problem converting into actual USD) and you'll only tank the ETH/USDC price there by 2%. And that's the most naive way to do it, there are plenty of ways to spread out large sells in time and across multiple venues to prevent price impact.

Trying to do the same for ~$37M of OXT (just randomly picked a token on Uniswap I haven't heard of) will wipe out the entire order book and crash the price of OXT on Uniswap by 98% for a while until the pool recovers but that would apparently be attempting to cash out 7% of the entire supply of OXT so that isn't too surprising.

notwithoutmyanus
Mar 17, 2009

tehinternet posted:

Yeah, I got a C1 over Christmas and hooh is it a QoL upgrade from the five year old TCL we have

I would also not buy a Samsung TV or monitor. My mom has a Samsung TV from a couple years back and Christ if it doesn’t have the worst UI I’ve ever see n

Still better than Bitcoin though

Samsung has actually been one of the strongest TV producers after Panasonic stepped down. So good that Samsung actually bought and resolved Panasonic rebranded Plasmas because literally Panasonic was the world leader in TV plasma quality.

That being said, they're one of the worst (except for LG) at spying on their customers as well.

Beeple did indeed rug some people, and they got pissed. I'll have to dig it up later, I know some folks who got involved in poo poo Beeple was promoting.

Gutcruncher
Apr 16, 2005

notwithoutmyanus posted:

That being said, they're one of the worst (except for LG) at spying on their customers as well.

Haha if you plug your tv into the internet you deserve to be spied on

Pham Nuwen
Oct 30, 2010

novamute posted:

~$37M worth of USDC (which you will have no problem converting into actual USD)

What's the procedure for converting $37M of USDC into USD?

punishedkissinger
Sep 20, 2017

Gutcruncher posted:

do you only use VHS tapes or something? this seems like a really dumb thing to be smug about.

Gutcruncher
Apr 16, 2005

punishedkissinger posted:

do you only use VHS tapes or something? this seems like a really dumb thing to be smug about.

I’m being an rear end in a top hat, but yeah the apps built into TVs from my experience always suck and buying a cheap roku or something is a million times better, plus you don’t have your tv cramming ads in your face whenever you try to switch inputs and there’s no way a bad update can gently caress your whole TV if you keep it offline

Salt Fish
Sep 11, 2003

Cybernetic Crumb
I run a microATX fanless PC as a multimedia box connected to a LG TV from 2007 instead of buying the worlds largest android phone or whatever is normal now. Because I'm old and I will never change.

A Wizard of Goatse
Dec 14, 2014

are we doing the thing where we pretend operating lightbulbs and grills without some kind of IOT horseshit is weird and impossible for normal people itt now too

punishedkissinger
Sep 20, 2017

are we doing the thing where we pretend operating lightbulbs and grills without some kind of IOT horseshit is weird and impossible for normal people itt now too

unless you are buying blurays it's pretty hard to watch shows and movies without hooking your TV up to the internet in some way.

Gutcruncher
Apr 16, 2005

unless you are buying blurays it's pretty hard to watch shows and movies without hooking your TV up to the internet in some way.

Hook a roku or some other box to the internet instead of the tv itself. Do yourself a favor

TengenNewsEditor
Apr 3, 2004

TV is fundamentally unsafe unless you're running it through a VM

TengenNewsEditor
Apr 3, 2004

Gutcruncher posted:

Hook a roku or some other box to the internet instead of the tv itself. Do yourself a favor

lol if you run raw internet through your roku

Three Olives
Apr 10, 2005

Gutcruncher posted:

Roku is one of the worst offenders of selling customer data.

Zopotantor
Feb 24, 2013

...und ist er drin dann lassen wir ihn niemals wieder raus...

Gutcruncher posted:

IIRC Samsung TVs at some point would, if not set up with an internet connection, scan for open WiFi networks and just steal your neighbor's internet.

A Wizard of Goatse
Dec 14, 2014

are you worried about getting hacked through an HDMI cable

this is really taking me back to when my grandma lectured me about how I had to buy a premium screensaver to stop chinese hackers blowing up my monitor like a bomb

A Wizard of Goatse fucked around with this message at 23:07 on Jan 3, 2022

Salt Fish
Sep 11, 2003

Cybernetic Crumb
Its almost like you never seen one of these before:

Three Olives
Apr 10, 2005

are you worried about getting hacked through an HDMI cable

I regret to inform you that the HDMI standard now includes ethernet.

TengenNewsEditor
Apr 3, 2004

roku and tvs should be both air-gapped unless you want an 'air-gap' in your brain. read a book, stupid

A Wizard of Goatse
Dec 14, 2014

i tried plugging an ethernet cable into an HDMI port and it's nowhere close, nice try tho

HootTheOwl
May 13, 2012

Hootin and shootin
Depends on the app but having HBO not through my cable provider means I have to use them. Netflix app is much better than HBO s and they're both built into the TV.

novamute
Jul 5, 2006

o o o

Pham Nuwen posted:

What's the procedure for converting $37M of USDC into USD?

Move it to an institutional exchange platform (https://www.coinbase.com/prime for example), convert it to USD on their platform, give them your bank account details and initiate a transfer out.

acidx
Sep 24, 2019

right clicking is stealing
Can you buy coins on coinbase or the other big exchanges without having a bank account?

Three Olives
Apr 10, 2005

HootTheOwl
May 13, 2012

Hootin and shootin

Which game shark is this from?

tehinternet
Feb 14, 2005

Semantically, "you" is both singular and plural, though syntactically it is always plural. It always takes a verb form that originally marked the word as plural.

Also, there is no plural when the context is an argument with an individual rather than a group. Somfin shouldn't put words in my mouth.

TengenNewsEditor posted:

roku and tvs should be both air-gapped unless you want an 'air-gap' in your brain. read a book, stupid

You’re really winning hearts and minds there, rear end in a top hat

Nessus
Dec 22, 2003

After a Speaker vote, you may be entitled to a valuable coupon or voucher!

novamute posted:

This comes up pretty often in this thread but cashing out crypto that is ETH or BTC instead of just random shitcoins is not difficult.

You can go on Uniswap right now and sell 10000 ETH for ~$37M worth of USDC (which you will have no problem converting into actual USD) and you'll only tank the ETH/USDC price there by 2%. And that's the most naive way to do it, there are plenty of ways to spread out large sells in time and across multiple venues to prevent price impact.

Trying to do the same for ~$37M of OXT (just randomly picked a token on Uniswap I haven't heard of) will wipe out the entire order book and crash the price of OXT on Uniswap by 98% for a while until the pool recovers but that would apparently be attempting to cash out 7% of the entire supply of OXT so that isn't too surprising.
I am curious how you turn "USDC" into actual cash dollars I can spend to buy a cheeseburger.

But in this case I mean that these guys got 'rich' by having a lot of etherium or whatever and now it blew up. So the paper value of the ape JPGs is rooted in the Etherium price being very high, especially when these guys are trading them back and forth, but the actual units of crypto were not obtained through cash purchase. For ideological reasons I imagine many of them want to retain all or most of these units, or would be OK with exchanging/transmitting them around on a level that they are not with the prospect of "sell off half of my 100,000 ethers" or whatever, which would render them independently wealthy.

mkvltra
Nov 1, 2020

TengenNewsEditor posted:

Why should I care about my own privacy?

Cowcaster
Aug 7, 2002

novamute posted:

You can go on Uniswap right now and sell 10000 ETH for ~$37M worth of USDC (which you will have no problem converting into actual USD)

syntaxfunction
Oct 27, 2010
If you do convert it aren't there a bunch of tax poo poo you need to sort immediately otherwise you get in a lot of poo poo?

Pretty sure that's an important step.

tehinternet
Feb 14, 2005

Semantically, "you" is both singular and plural, though syntactically it is always plural. It always takes a verb form that originally marked the word as plural.

Also, there is no plural when the context is an argument with an individual rather than a group. Somfin shouldn't put words in my mouth.

Nessus posted:

I am curious how you turn "USDC" into actual cash dollars I can spend to buy a cheeseburger.

But in this case I mean that these guys got 'rich' by having a lot of etherium or whatever and now it blew up. So the paper value of the ape JPGs is rooted in the Etherium price being very high, especially when these guys are trading them back and forth, but the actual units of crypto were not obtained through cash purchase. For ideological reasons I imagine many of them want to retain all or most of these units, or would be OK with exchanging/transmitting them around on a level that they are not with the prospect of "sell off half of my 100,000 ethers" or whatever, which would render them independently wealthy.

I guess that’s what I don’t understand.

So you get lucky gambling, make something decent like $5 mil

Why the poo poo wouldn’t you cash out 90% of it and retire?

I mean, I know it’s just greed, but I’ll never understand people so dead inside that they have to base their joy in life on a number in an account

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

jokes
Dec 20, 2012

Uh... Kupo?

IIRC If you buy a bitcoin with $100,000 and then use that bitcoin to buy a $150,000 thing, you need to pay taxes on the $50,000 gain but with real human money.