Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Rolo
Nov 16, 2005

Hmm, what have we here?
They light up with a red LED, yeah.

Edit: I won’t double post on a new page. Got my LaunchPad X. The buttons feel fantastic and setting it up was non-eventful. Kinda glad at this point the MPD sketched out, I think I like these pads more. Plus RGB!

But yo what’s up with guitar center? I got mine swapped, took it out to the car and decided to open the box before driving home because it didn’t have any kind of seal on it. The one they sold me had 100% been used and returned with fingerprints and small scratches. Went back in and asked for one I could open and inspect in the store before leaving again. Now I’m wondering if my broken AKAI is back on the shelf ready to be sold again as new.

Rolo fucked around with this message at 19:34 on Jan 1, 2022

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

A MIRACLE
Sep 17, 2007

All right. It's Saturday night; I have no date, a two-liter bottle of Shasta and my all-Rush mix-tape... Let's rock.

Definitely sounds like guitar center

I try not to shop there but sometimes I do anyway

cYn
Apr 1, 2008
I see I'm not the only one struggling to find the right DAW and workflow solution.

I'm split between two things which I guess I sort of mentioned before, the balance between multitrack recording of a jam from at least 4 devices and then just tidying up, or creating samples and sequencing the track.

I have a feeling the answer is somewhere in the middle, record a song then sample bits to create more structure and tidy up. Which is probably fine on a PC DAW but I'm trying to get away from my PC. The obvious choices like the Akai Force, Machine+, Akai Live are all around £800 - £1200. There are some left field devices like the Dirtywave M8 or maybe a combination of the 1010music blue and black boxes. I guess what I need is a multitrack recorder, sampler, sequencer, either in parts or as one device.

Anyway I'm researching and obsessing and it's tying my brain in knots. It seems like you really need to spend time trying these things out before you can really know, but the cost makes that impossible. Maybe I should approach my local music shop and say I'm doing a youtube series on trying to figure this poo poo out as a complete beginner and they should lend me the gear as sponsors (hah).

Arcella
Dec 16, 2013

Shiny and Chrome

petit choux posted:

Here ya go, my cardboard synth:

What's the function of the gelato jars?

Laserjet 4P
Mar 28, 2005

What does it mean?
Fun Shoe

cYn posted:

It seems like you really need to spend time trying these things out before you can really know, but the cost makes that impossible.

Did anyone recommend a Polyend Tracker to you yet?

Thing is sometimes what you end up with is Not The Right Thing. In a lot of cases, what something will do is predictable - i.e. you know that a Polybrute is a 6-voice analog synth so acoustic pianos are out of the question. However, for say, sequencers, it’s different - and there you should judge on whether it “thinks” like you do about making music.

Modern MPCs are awfully versatile. So it may not be able to do Euclidean sequencing or more exotic forms of randomization - but when you already know you should be on the lookout for this you already know a Pyramid is a better idea. If, however, your style and method hasn’t been defined yet, things are still pretty open - and then buying something is more about finding out that you might outgrow it eventually. Even that is not a problem - very few devices lose their utility and it’s always a valuable learning experience.

The more you try to cram into a single box for the same money, the more likely you are to end up with a laptop.

The only way to win the value depreciation game is to buy secondhand, but for that you need a lively secondhand market, which is also not always a given.

Start with your budget because that’s the biggest go or no. Make a shortlist. Ask actual users. Then, take the plunge. Yes, you can be wrong, but you’re absolutely wrong if you never try in the first place.

Lead out in cuffs
Sep 18, 2012

"That's right. We've evolved."

"I can see that. Cool mutations."

petit choux posted:

Here ya go, my cardboard synth:

Lol, what do the glass jar things do?

Also is that a Cat 5 cable plugged into the headphone jack?

I have so many questions.

B33rChiller
Aug 18, 2011

Lead out in cuffs posted:

Fancy pants resonator, and did your headphones not come with a rj45 connector?

I'm also curious about the Arcade buttons.
Can you do a little demo vid, Choux?

B33rChiller fucked around with this message at 21:39 on Jan 2, 2022

cYn
Apr 1, 2008

Laserjet 4P posted:

Did anyone recommend a Polyend Tracker to you yet?

Oh no, seeing this now has me thinking I need to do a bunch of research into that too now.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PQ16dOhl5_A

On second thoughts, while this looks great, I want the versatility of the MPC One, which works well as a central hub.
The Polyend would be nice to have along side that, maybe in 6 months or so...

Amazing there are no MPC Ones available in the entire UK. If brexit wasn't a thing I could just get one from Europe.

cYn fucked around with this message at 23:58 on Jan 2, 2022

Lead out in cuffs
Sep 18, 2012

B33rChiller posted:

Fancy pants resonator, and did your headphones not come with a rj45 connector?

I'm also curious about the Arcade buttons.
Can you do a little demo vid, Choux?

Yeah I'm assuming the ribbon cable out the side is connected to those - Audi curious about what they do.

And still pretty puzzled by that 3.5mm -> Cat 5 adaptor...

JamesKPolk
Apr 9, 2009

And still pretty puzzled by that 3.5mm -> Cat 5 adaptor...

midi over trs <-> midi over ethernet I'm guessing?

petit choux
Feb 24, 2016

JamesKPolk posted:

midi over trs <-> midi over ethernet I'm guessing?

Stereo CAT5 or CAT6 balun plugged into the audio out jack, and it's going to my sound card. There's a similar adapter at the other end. You can use very long cable runs with baluns.

Arcella posted:

What's the function of the gelato jars?

You know how plastic jar lids have a dimple in the very center? Well I heated an awl with a lighter, stuck it right through that dimple, then while it was still melted I took a 10k potentiometer and pressed the gnurled grip into the new hole and let it cool. The backside of the pot is basically held in place in the chassis with closed cell foam ATM. The jars are riding on skateboard bearings and move pretty smoothly. And you see those potentiometers on the front of the NTS-1 there? If you zoom in you'll see I've severed their connections. Subsequently you can still use the buttons on the NTS-1 but not the pots. And until I establish what rotary encoder to use, I'll have to use the on on the panel and there will remain a place for one more jar here.

So tickled anybody responded. I think I posted about this in the DIY thread mostly? The simplest mod you can do on an NTS-1, all simple hardware changes to make it easier to use your feet. Or not. Apparently Korg is trying to develop a big DIY community around the NTS-1 and Arduino programming, this is a lot more simple than that. Just some dirt simple mechanical mods.

You can easily solder secondary switches to the underside of the panel on a NTS-1, and I've supplemented them with arcade buttons and similarly, replaced pots A and B with those Talenti jars. The idea was you can use your feet, kinda. I'm pretty impressed, though I'm going to redo it with the Talenti jars side by side instead of stacked vertically.

I think the Talenti jars and external pots do make a big difference, and I'd love to show you. I think they can give finer control to your feet than ordinary expression pedals.

I think that answers you too lead out in cuffs. but happy to talk about it any time. I want to maybe try it with the jars set up vertically, but yeah, I would like to do a demo. But I'm still learning my way around this thing.

some kinda jackal
Feb 25, 2003

If you want a taste of the MPC workflow you can try to download Beats which I think is free?

MPC One was a great machine, I just never really gel’d with its workflow. And actually by that I mean I hated using the touchscreen. Everything else about the machine was really nice, and my objections to the touch interface mainly stem from the fact that it feels very clunky and I generally dislike touch interfaces very very much so it shouldn’t be considered a slight on the product until you have a chance to try it. I actually gather that I’m very much in the minority and it’s a non-issue for most people.

The timeline sequencer was really nice, and if it had a few hardware button shortcuts I might actually have really preferred the One for sequencing. For reference, the MPC1K with JJOS2XL gives me a heck of a timeline sequencer and I love using it so I think a few buttons would have made all the difference.

And I love my Polyend Tracker but it’s definitely not as versatile a device as the MPC. If you really love a tracker interface (and I do) then it’s a no-brainer for both a sequencer AND a portable groovebox. It has its place and I recently fell in love with it all over again when I hooked it up to my S950 for some incredibly stereotypical attempts at eight track jungle :haw:

The more I think about it, the more disappointed I am that the One didn’t work out. My needs for a “DAW” are incredibly light, mainly boiling down to a sequencer that isn’t a horrible pain in the rear end to operate. I’m really drawn to super early Atari DAWs like Cubase 2 because that’s all they loving did, just show me a visual representation of when I’m triggering things, on a machine where I literally have no other options to goof around on and browse the web, etc. Same with trackers on the Amiga. The One could have been a super nice sequencer for me WITH a ton of advanced functionality on top that I can tap into, but somehow I just couldn’t get past the one thing about it I didn’t like.

Way too many words on this from me lol

some kinda jackal fucked around with this message at 01:20 on Jan 3, 2022

some kinda jackal
Feb 25, 2003

Also I meant to do an actual synthpost in here whoops.

A friend got me an old OG Gameboy Advance for xmas because she knows I am stupid crazy about stuff like that. Anyone had any experience with any of the Gameboy based synths? Looking at either lsdj or mgb or something, not really sure where to start. Gather I need some kind of MIDI to gameboy link cable so I’ll try to do some research in the next few days but I love the idea of bleep blooping my GBA over MIDI

LSDJ being a quasi-tracker might be right up my alley :twisted:

Matt Zerella
Oct 7, 2002

Norris'es are back baby. It's good again. Awoouu (fox Howl)
Don't forget about the MPC Studio 2 if you already have a computer. You can even use it as a VST in your daw.

It's pretty well intergraded with the beats software and you can use a mouse instead of the touchscreen.

The touch strip is pretty slick too.

Lead out in cuffs
Sep 18, 2012

petit choux posted:

Stereo CAT5 or CAT6 balun plugged into the audio out jack, and it's going to my sound card. There's a similar adapter at the other end. You can use very long cable runs with baluns.

You know how plastic jar lids have a dimple in the very center? Well I heated an awl with a lighter, stuck it right through that dimple, then while it was still melted I took a 10k potentiometer and pressed the gnurled grip into the new hole and let it cool. The backside of the pot is basically held in place in the chassis with closed cell foam ATM. The jars are riding on skateboard bearings and move pretty smoothly. And you see those potentiometers on the front of the NTS-1 there? If you zoom in you'll see I've severed their connections. Subsequently you can still use the buttons on the NTS-1 but not the pots. And until I establish what rotary encoder to use, I'll have to use the on on the panel and there will remain a place for one more jar here.

So tickled anybody responded. I think I posted about this in the DIY thread mostly? The simplest mod you can do on an NTS-1, all simple hardware changes to make it easier to use your feet. Or not. Apparently Korg is trying to develop a big DIY community around the NTS-1 and Arduino programming, this is a lot more simple than that. Just some dirt simple mechanical mods.

You can easily solder secondary switches to the underside of the panel on a NTS-1, and I've supplemented them with arcade buttons and similarly, replaced pots A and B with those Talenti jars. The idea was you can use your feet, kinda. I'm pretty impressed, though I'm going to redo it with the Talenti jars side by side instead of stacked vertically.

I think the Talenti jars and external pots do make a big difference, and I'd love to show you. I think they can give finer control to your feet than ordinary expression pedals.

I think that answers you too lead out in cuffs. but happy to talk about it any time. I want to maybe try it with the jars set up vertically, but yeah, I would like to do a demo. But I'm still learning my way around this thing.

This is rad, thanks for posting!

I suppose the next step is to scavenge some pedals from an old organ to use in place of the note strip.

Edit: also that's wild - I did not know you could send balanced audio over cat5.

Lead out in cuffs fucked around with this message at 04:19 on Jan 3, 2022

petit choux
Feb 24, 2016

They are not balanced. But using twisted pair wiring is far better than just shielding.

a mysterious cloak
Apr 5, 2003

Leave me alone, dad, I'm with my friends!

Okay this is an extremely weird problem, but I'm doing a trial of Bitwig and the audio from external instruments is panned a bit to the left. I'm using a Presonus 26c interface, and I thought that was somehow the problem, but I tried using Reaper instead and the audio is spot on. And if I turn on Monitor on the interface the external instrument balance sounds fine as well.

I've tried different cables, etc, plugged the headphones direct to whatever instrument I'm trying to play, everything else checks out perfect. Youtube, mp3s, and games are all fine, too. Any ideas?

a mysterious cloak fucked around with this message at 07:51 on Jan 3, 2022

free Trapt CD
Aug 22, 2013

*~:coffeepal:~*
I've got plenty of java
and Chesterfield Kings

*~:h:~*

a mysterious cloak posted:

Okay this is an extremely weird problem, but I'm doing a trial of Bitwig and the audio from external instruments is panned a bit to the left. I'm using a Presonus 26c interface, and I thought that was somehow the problem, but I tried using Reaper instead and the audio is spot on. And if I turn on Monitor on the interface the external instrument balance sounds fine as well.

I've tried different cables, etc, plugged the headphones direct to whatever instrument I'm trying to play, everything else checks out perfect. Youtube, mp3s, and games are all fine, too. Any ideas?

Is it possible one of your MIDI controllers is sending a CC to something that controls pan in Bitwig?

cYn
Apr 1, 2008

Martytoof posted:

Thanks for the info, I've managed to order a MPC One, no turning back. I have a bunch of Gameboys and I really should give this a go too.

So Math
Jan 8, 2013

Ghostly Clothier

Martytoof posted:

A friend got me an old OG Gameboy Advance for xmas because she knows I am stupid crazy about stuff like that. Anyone had any experience with any of the Gameboy based synths? Looking at either lsdj or mgb or something, not really sure where to start. Gather I need some kind of MIDI to gameboy link cable so I’ll try to do some research in the next few days but I love the idea of bleep blooping my GBA over MIDI

What you're looking for is Arduinoboy; it's an external box that translates between MIDI and Gameboy.

some kinda jackal
Feb 25, 2003

Swank, thanks!

cYn posted:

Thanks for the info, I've managed to order a MPC One, no turning back. I have a bunch of Gameboys and I really should give this a go too.

Good luck! Good odds that it’ll work out for you — it’s a super capable machine in the right hands :)

B33rChiller
Aug 18, 2011

petit choux posted:

They are not balanced. But using twisted pair wiring is far better than just shielding.

Thanks for the explanation. That sounds like a very cool and interesting project. I can be patient, but look forward to seeing/hearing it in action.

A MIRACLE
Sep 17, 2007

All right. It's Saturday night; I have no date, a two-liter bottle of Shasta and my all-Rush mix-tape... Let's rock.

going back to work jam https://soundcloud.com/natively/arachis0001-2-mix-01

A MIRACLE
Sep 17, 2007

Is anyone here good with the erica sample drum

trilobite terror
Oct 20, 2007
BUT MY LIVELIHOOD DEPENDS ON THE FORUMS!

not a dirge, not representative- 1/10

(jk it good)

a mysterious cloak
Apr 5, 2003

Leave me alone, dad, I'm with my friends!

free Trapt CD posted:

Is it possible one of your MIDI controllers is sending a CC to something that controls pan in Bitwig?

:nice:

The pan knob on my Novation controller got tweaked at some point while I was controlling Bitwig! Thanks!

A MIRACLE
Sep 17, 2007

I have a dirge I've been writing on the yamaha sequencer actually for my dungeon synth "project"

trilobite terror
Oct 20, 2007

A MIRACLE posted:

I have a dirge I've been writing on the yamaha sequencer actually for my dungeon synth "project"

lol

btw, do you want notes/actual critique on your track?

petit choux
Feb 24, 2016

The pan knob on my Novation controller got tweaked at some point while I was controlling Bitwig! Thanks!

Whew!

A MIRACLE
Sep 17, 2007

Ok Comboomer posted:

lol

btw, do you want notes/actual critique on your track?

haha sure go for it

trilobite terror
Oct 20, 2007

A MIRACLE posted:

haha sure go for it

cool. Sry if that was awkward, I asked because I didn’t want to just start ripping into your track, which is really good. There’s obviously a big difference between sharing a track because you’re proud of it and sharing a track for critique.

Anyway, I think the intro and first part of the song are quite strong, but they would be a lot stronger if you introduced the various elements/cycles more quickly.

The sequences themselves are interesting and cool. I wouldn’t really change those.

But instead of repeating every sequence four times or whatever, maybe do it twice or three times. Also maybe try varying that up between them—so some cycles get two reps while others get three or one, etc.

A MIRACLE
Sep 17, 2007

thanks dude. yeah variation is something I need to work on. it can be tricky to juggle all the drum tracks and stuff. I think I might do a multi track soon so I can add more fills. or just commit to using the song mode on the sequencer so I don't hve to do everything live in the same take

free Trapt CD
Aug 22, 2013

*~:coffeepal:~*
I've got plenty of java
and Chesterfield Kings

*~:h:~*

You love to see it! Glad to help...

The Voice of Labor
Apr 8, 2020

Martytoof posted:

lsdj kinda doesn't really sound right or good on a gba, needs to be an oldschool dmg-1 or a color

Mister Speaker
May 8, 2007

WE WILL CONTROL
ALL THAT YOU SEE
AND HEAR
Some discussion over in the Recent Purchases Thread got me thinking, about getting something cheap and self-contained like the KORG DS-10. Are these or any of their successors worth it at all? I feel like maybe a new, simpler and more mobile approach to getting ideas out might be fun, but I just did some looking around and there are a number of options for something simple and handheld that I can just... play with. I don't have a tablet, only a phone, so unless an app is REALLY GOOD at being all things sequencer/synthesizer/drum machine (or a ReBirth clone that actually works on a phone-sized screen) I'm not interested.

B33rChiller
Aug 18, 2011

Mister Speaker posted:

Some discussion over in the Recent Purchases Thread got me thinking, about getting something cheap and self-contained like the KORG DS-10. Are these or any of their successors worth it at all? I feel like maybe a new, simpler and more mobile approach to getting ideas out might be fun, but I just did some looking around and there are a number of options for something simple and handheld that I can just... play with. I don't have a tablet, only a phone, so unless an app is REALLY GOOD at being all things sequencer/synthesizer/drum machine (or a ReBirth clone that actually works on a phone-sized screen) I'm not interested.
If your phone is an apple doodad, I'm sure there's plenty of awesome apps for making music on it.
I, however, have an android, and as far as I can tell, Caustic might fit the bill for you. I really enjoy it.
eta: I also found a copy of DS-10 on one of those hundreds in one game carts I picked up on ebay for my 3DS. Works good on a new3dsXL. No need for original DS hardware.

VVV Great! hope you enjoy.

B33rChiller fucked around with this message at 06:32 on Jan 4, 2022

petit choux
Feb 24, 2016

B33rChiller posted:

If your phone is an apple doodad, I'm sure there's plenty of awesome apps for making music on it.
I, however, have an android, and as far as I can tell, Caustic might fit the bill for you. I really enjoy it.

wow thanks, I don't think I've ever seen this

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

iDS-10 is good stuff, it got a vocoder added which is pretty fun. I think the original on the NDS was better, it's well suited to stylus use, but it's usable on a phone screen and doesn't require you to lug a 10 year old handheld game device.

If you want to play with a sampler, look at Flip. It works splendid on a phone screen.

I don't know of anything new and all-in-one, afaik most developer attention is going into auv3 plugins.

kidfresca
Dec 31, 2007

You're kidding, right?

John Lennon, Singer of The Beatles. He wrote the song "Imagine" and was shot and killed some time in the eighties.

Fuck has the WHOLE WORLD GONE CRAZY!

Musician's Friend has Beatstep Pro, Keystep Pro, and Keystep 37 all at 20% off with an in-cart discount. Thought I'd mention it since there was a lot of controller talk recently.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rod Hoofhearted
Jun 18, 2000

I am a ghost

kidfresca posted:

Musician's Friend has Beatstep Pro, Keystep Pro, and Keystep 37 all at 20% off with an in-cart discount. Thought I'd mention it since there was a lot of controller talk recently.

Warehouse Clearance members only. I have no idea what that means. :confused: